Can You Decode the Usernames from These Cryptic Clues?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: Last name of a former quarterback that was a pro star in both Canada and the US together with the first (nick)name of a former college football...That would be Doug Flutie!
Astronuc said:
How about a hint on -

21. old oil town and racing state held in back of left hand

What kind of racing?

and what kind of clue is "in back of left hand" anyway? :biggrin:
Astronuc - don't forget you're on the 3 clue termporary ban. 21 through 23 are off limits for you (of course, you may still solve them - only don't post the answers).

A hint eh? And what's wrong with backhanded clues? :mad:

Okay...here's the answer to your first question: equine

Physics news on Phys.org
Kurdt said:
I was thinking Indy 500 and indianapolis for that astro but I can't think of a name to give me a further clue.
That's what I thought of at first. Great minds think alike. :smile:

But old oil city? In which country/state? There are lots of old oil cities scattered around Pennsylvania and Texas. :biggrin:

27. Jasonrox?

siddharth said:
24. initially, three of the bases of the basis

Mostly wrong, but is it Rach3 by any chance?(Ribose, Adenine, Cytosine in RNA):-p
Ooh, so close! Good thinking, but wrong picks. Try again, without air.

Kurdt said:
27. Jasonrox?
Explanation please!

equine and oil that would have to be dubai doesn't give me any clues about names but perhaps some of the more established personnel can guess from there.

Astronuc said:
But old oil city? In which country/state? There are lots of old oil cities scattered around Pennsylvania and Texas. :biggrin:
That's not nearly old enough to be significant.

Kurdt said:
equine and oil that would have to be dubai doesn't give me any clues about names but perhaps some of the more established personnel can guess from there.
The UAE is made up of emirates, not states.

24: It's got to be GCT then

Gokul43201 said:
Explanation please!
Jason was captain of the argus and if I remember he encountered medusa who could turn people to stone?

siddharth said:
24: It's got to be GCT then
Good one, Sid! That earns you a ban from 25, 26, and 27!

Explanation :
24. initially, three of the bases of the basis
initially => only the first letters (initials) count
basis (of life) = DNA
bases = A, T, G, C (from adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine from the nucleotide bases of DNA)

Kurdt said:
Jason was captain of the argus and if I remember he encountered medusa who could turn people to stone?
That's the correct answer and the first part is correct - Jason sailed the Argus in search of the Golden Fleece. But the second part - albeit a clever guess - is wrong; I don't think the Argonauts encountered Medusa in their journeys (perhaps, SA can confirm?). The only people I know that had anything to do with Medusa were Poseidon, who may have raped her, and Perseus, who slew her. In any case, you have credit for the solution.

But for completeness, the ROX needs accounting for.

Ouch! I made a big mistake in Q21 - got my history and geography all messed up (I should Google these things to confirm I'm not screwing up big time).

Will correct it soon.

Gokul43201 said:
But for completeness, the ROX needs accounting for.

Oh, that's right(R) by the beast(OX).

Are we allowed to make up our own clues? If so,

31) Mister, try ride in it! It's mad!

siddharth said:
Are we allowed to make up our own clues? If so,

31) Mister, try ride in it! It's mad!
Dimitri Terryn?

neutrino said:
Dimitri Terryn?

explanation?

siddharth said:
explanation?
Anagram of Mister(Mr) try ride in it.

neutrino said:
Oh, that's right(R) by the beast(OX).
Correct.

Update on progress:

1. fancy Russian included -- cyrus (hidden clue) - solved by cyrus

2. disenfranchize, without Che inside -- Franz (remove all the letters in 'Che inside' from 'disenfranchize') - solved by cyrus

3. see no jogger stumbling -- George Jones - solved by wolram & George (anagram of 'see no jogger')

4. handheld firework, somewhat spoonerized - larkspur (spoonerize 'sparkler') - solved by mattmns

5. the French back -- EL, Al, etc ('the' in French is le/la; backwards) - solved by siddharth & neutrino

6. In short, are you Schutzstaffel? -- Russ (are = R, you = U, Schutzstaffel = SS) - solved by arildno

7. be a moron, silly! -- moonbear (anagram of 'be a moron') - solved by George

8. She performed a Vicker's test on the subject and proclaimed __________ ! -- Math Is Hard (Math is a subject and the Vickers Test measures hardness) - solved by George

9. mount Saint Man, clumsily -- mattmns (mount saint man = mt+st+man, and jumble it) - solved by neutrino

10. crazy as shelter -- heartless (anagram of 'as shelter') - solved by George

11. Only a resumé? O, that's strange! -- loseyourname (anagram of 'only a resume o') - solved by George

12. It flows through an Ouroboros -- cyclovenom - (Ouroboros is a snake swallowing its own tail) - solved by arunbg13. Shere Khan, with room -- SpaceTiger (Shere Khan = tiger (from, for instance, Kipling's Jungle Book, with room or space) - solved by neutrino

14. one turin collision -- neutrino (anagram) - solved by siddharth & neutrino

15. if real, then symmetric -- SelfAdjoint (think matrices) - solved by Sir George

16. See you in Mars -- Marcus (marCUs) - solved by 3trQN

17. Whip It band loses half a grand -- Evo (Devo - D) - solved by Astro

18. Terrible John Hunting -- Ivan Seeking (John = Ivan, Slavic and Hunting = Seeking) - solved by Astro

19. He's still alive - but then, he's not feline -- Schrodinger's Dog (reference to S's Cat) - solved by kurdt

20. short mountain of tomatoes missing, there exists some backwards mixture -- Tom Mattson (awaiting complete solution) - partially solved by Astronuc

21. in short, you are short of a racing state held in back of left hand - unsolved *this clue was corrected from its original version, which was erroneous

22. screwing around in a lord -- arildno (anagram) - solved by Lisa!

23. a bowl is a container -- Lisa (hiddenclue) - solved by siddharth

24. initially, three of the bases of the basis -- GCT (from the initials for guanine, cytosine and thymine) - solved by Siddharth

25. short engineer: 506 far off? - unsolved

26. Eerie garden of peril -- Danger (anagram as well as a synonym) - solved by Lisa!

27. Argus' captain is right by the beast -- JasonRox (Argus' captain = Jason, of Greek myth, right = R, beast = ox) - solved by kurdt and completed by neutrino

28. No longer man enough, we hear[/b] -- Rach (man enough sounds like - hence 'we hear' - maninoff) - solved by Siddharth

29. Mrs. Derek has her units of memory messed up -- BobG (Bo + GB) - solved by MIH

30. he had a vector hidden - DaveC (hidden clue) - solved by Siddharth

31. Mister, try ride in it! It's mad! - Dimitri Terryn (anagram) - solved by neutrino

32. Sheep and lion missing an eye somehow -- marlon (sheep = ram, lion - i = lon) - solved by Gokul

Last edited:
23: Lisa (contained in a bowl is a container)

Here's another one:
32. Sheep and lion missing an eye somehow.

Gokul, could you please highlight those clues which are yet to be solved?

siddharth said:
23: Lisa (contained in a bowl is a container)
Correct!

I'm also getting rid of the temporary ban rule - it's impossible to keep track of who's where. So everyone's back in - no curfews.

neutrino said:
Gokul, could you please highlight those clues which are yet to be solved?
Done! Unsolved clues are in bold.

neutrino said:
Here's another one:
32. Sheep and lion missing an eye somehow.
Marlon?

Sheep = ram, lion - i = lon

Gokul43201 said:
Marlon?

Sheep = ram, lion - i = lon
Bingo! ...and thanks. :smile:

30: DaveC (hidden)

How can you even think of such clues, Gokul? It's like an art!

Last edited:
siddharth said:
30: DaveC (hidden)
Correct, Sid!

That leaves 5 clues not completely cracked. Perhaps, in a little bit, I'll throw in some hints for the harder ones.

28: Long shot, but is this Rach3? He used to be Rachmaninoff and maninoff sounds like man enough.

siddharth said:
28: Long shot, but is this Rach3? He used to be Rachmaninoff and maninoff sounds like man enough.
Long shot, but right on the target! Nicely done!

Of course, one doesn't need to know the history of Rach3 to solve this - but you do have to know about the Russian composer.

29. Mrs. Derek has her units of memory messed up - unsolved

BobG :smile:

Bo (Derek) + BG (GB backwards)
GB = Gigabyte

Math Is Hard said:

GB = Gigabyte
Nice one, MIH!

Now who wouldn't like to see BobG in a Bo Derek "costume" ! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:

GB = Gigabyte

I'm 18 and I never thought of that! I spent a good 30 mins trying to anagram mrsderekbyte, and it's variations.

Gokul43201 said:
Nice one, MIH!

For some reason I though Bo Derek was a male :redface:, and didn't consider that as being part of the clue.

siddharth said:
I'm 18 and I never thought of that! I spent a good 30 mins trying to anagram mrsderekbyte, and it's variations.
Yay...company! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Nice one, MIH!
Thanks!:smile:
uh oh, here comes another poll. :biggrin: