Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
  • #1,191
The Beatles' All You Need Is Love

Nowadays the Royal Liverpool Symphony Orchestra performs a more upbeat version of All You Need Is Love as an encore.

It took me over a month to put two and two together. The Beatles, Liverpool.... The orchestra was honoring their homeboys.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,192

I went to a "popular music" concert at Suntory. This was played as an encore. Takamitsu is the most honored Japanese composer. He also wrote orchestral works and so forth. Too "modern" for me.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,193
jack action said:
Like everybody of my generation, I love that song that was meant to be a call to arms: "The generation's apathy is getting out of hand. [I'm] pleading to the kids, 'Wake up!'" The inspiration for the song was a quote written on his apartment's wall by a friend of his then-girlfriend: "Kurt smells like Teen Spirit". This guy who has felt unloved, ridiculed, and persecuted for the major part of his life took that as a suggestion that he was an inspirational figure.

The sad side of this story is that after he wrote and recorded the song, he learned that the meaning of his friend's quote was meant to laugh at him. Because he was so in love with his girlfriend and followed her everywhere, trying to spend every minute with her, the quote actually states that the scent of his girlfriend's deodorant (of the Teen Spirit brand) rubbed off on him. Too late to do anything about it.
I dunno, that he loves his girlfriend so much her perfume rubbed off on him, that's romantic, touching. Nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe he could have had a more positive attitude towards such things. And life in general. But did he listen to me? Nah...