Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
jack action said:
Wasn't really impressed with this cover and I was sure something more impressive could have been done with harps. They did:

I used their Iron Man for this.

Science news on Phys.org

Remarkably accurate Beatles cover. Paperback Writer.

• Love
Likes TonyStewart and pinball1970

Shawn Lane plays Let It Be.

• Wow
  • Sad

Robert Plant and his Band of Joy cover Porter Waggoner's A Satisfied Mind

Cover of "U.N. Owen Was Her"

And my favorite song, Firework!

Original (upstream):

My preferred covers:

On Madilyn's cover, she just titled the cover as if it is the official upstream title designation (Firework - Katy Perry). The upstream then add distinguishing identifier ((Official Music Video)).

I like the last one's cover, for it closely match the pace and setting theme of the upstream, even though her hand kinesic on the coda feels odd to me.

Hornbein said:

Shawn Lane plays Let It Be.

Let it Be shredded! Wow!

Emmylou Harris with Gram Parson's Hickory Wind

Crash Test Dummies -- Peter Pumpkinhead (orig by XTC)

Original (Die Toten Hosen, 2012):

Cover (Anastacia, 2023):

Her European fanbase is larger and more faithful anyway.

Likes Hornbein
pinball1970 said:
I hated prince when he came out. Everything I detested about the 80s in one artist.
A great song by Prince coming up here, and a cover of it.
Probably my favorite song by him, really dark, but still with a positive twist at the end.
I favor the original. And the lyrics are timeless, I think.

Cover by Muse (UK), a rock version:

Original: Prince - Sign O' The Times

That ebass player is really good.

A cover of Earth Wind and Fire that's better than the original. Something I would have thought scarcely possible. From Russia.

Cover: No Quarter, by Tool

Original: by Led Zeppelin

Likes pinball1970
Dylan's "To Ramona" by Sinead Lohan et al

Also Cream did a version of Spoonful that was originally (if he was the actual original) by Howling Wolf and completely changed it ,for better or worse.

[]

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
geordief said:
Also Cream did a version of Spoonful that was originally (if he was the actual original) by Howling Wolf and completely changed it ,for better or worse.
Spoonful was written by bass viol player Willie Dixon. Howling Wolf is hard to beat. The Doors made a good effort with Back Door Man. Here's Captain Beefheart using his Howling Wolf voice.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Alyona Yarushina covering Big Brother And The Holding Company covering Erma Franklin's Piece Of My Heart.

I never noticed how good Dave Getz's drum part is.

Here's Erma. Man those backup singers are good.

There are many covers of this. It's a favorite of those idol TV shows.

Even Steve Tyler gave it a shot.

People forget how small time the rock scene was. When Big Brother and Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd played in my hometown it was in clubs that seated maybe a hundred people. I saw Little Feat as a member of an audience of three. That circuit has passed away.

Last edited:
  • Love

Covering Queen. Melody Cristea has got to be one of the best melodramatic hard rock singers ever. It's a family band, a rare thing in this day of limited offspring.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Alyona Yarushina covering Big Brother And The Holding Company covering Erma Franklin's Piece Of My Heart.

I never noticed how good Dave Getz's drum part is.

Here's Erma. Man those backup singers are good.

There are many covers of this. It's a favorite of those idol TV shows.

Even Steve Tyler gave it a shot.

People forget how small time the rock scene was. When Big Brother and Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd played in my hometown it was in clubs that seated maybe a hundred people. I saw Little Feat as a member of an audience of three. That circuit has passed away.

Alyona is absolutely amazing.

bryantcl said:
Cover: No Quarter, by Tool

Original: by Led Zeppelin

The drums on the live version, "Song remains the same" are epic.

This popped up in my alerts

Does he do it justice? @hutchphd

Cover of Ratt's Loving You Is A Dirty Job. From The Iron Cross, the pride of eastern Romania.

pinball1970 said:
This popped up in my alerts

Does he do it justice? @hutchphd

Their fingerpicking and vocal harmonies can't be beat. And they do it all with such feeling.

I can attest that losing idols and friends on your twilight years is not a pleasant experience. Money and such can come and go. But no traveler to the undiscovered country has yet to return.

At 0:42 and in the thumbnail may be seen a photo of a bearded gentleman. That is of the ebass fossil stalwart who recently passed away. Gone, gone, but not forgotten.

Likes hutchphd and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Does he do it justice?
Vey nice. Of course the one that rattles around my head is from Peter Paul and Mary

Likes fresh_42, pinball1970 and Hornbein
hutchphd said:
Vey nice. Of course the one that rattles around my head is from Peter Paul and Mary

Wow!

I once met Peter Yarrow in Castle Valley, Utah. He was a friend of a friend of mine who held parties all the time. We also came straight off a river trip to VIP seating at one of their concerts.

• Wow
Likes hutchphd and pinball1970
Noel Paul Stuckey lived a few miles from me in Blue Hill, Maine and was a really active member of the community. A good friend and bookstore manager entertained Mary Travers for a reading and reported Travers to be remarkably friendly and unpretentious.
Small world. It is nice when your icons do not turn out to have feet of clay

Likes pinball1970
hutchphd said:
Noel Paul Stuckey lived a few miles from me in Blue Hill, Maine and was a really active member of the community. A good friend and bookstore manager entertained Mary Travers for a reading and reported Travers to be remarkably friendly and unpretentious.
Small world. It is nice when your icons do not turn out to have feet of clay
Celebration of ordinary people was the foundation of the folk music scene. Guitarist Tommy Emmanuel is still like that.

Folk music used to be a very big deal. I wonder why it faded away.

Note : This isn't "metal" at all. It's orchestral. Those two sure can sing.

Likes TonyStewart and jack action
Opera lives. Viva Italy.

Likes pinball1970
Cover of Frank Zappa. I think this should have become a jazz standard.

For added authenticity they dubbed in talking over the bass solo.:-) US people ALWAYS talk over bass solos. Japanese people NEVER do this.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970

Cover of Diana Ross. That was a big hit when I was a kid near Detroit.

That choreography would never get on TV in 1966.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
CeeLo Green

Cover by Gweneth Paltrow

Likes TonyStewart