COVID-19 Coronavirus Containment Efforts

In summary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus named 2019-nCoV. Cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations, including the United States. CDC will update the following U.S. map daily. Information regarding the number of people under investigation will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Rive said:
Well, something like that. More organized shopping, no movies/concerts, less crowded trains.

Regarding face masks: only, when/if I have to visit any medical/healthcare facility - regardless if I feel sick or not.
I do know that in general use I would just mess up the rules, so it would be useless - especially since I'm not in any of the high-risk groups.

If you live in the US, there is no need for you to avoid movies or concerts or otherwise change your daily routine. The prospect as of this moment of you being infected with COVID-19 is low.

Likes bhobba
Biology news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
If you live in the US...
It's within the EU. We have one busy internal (workforce) migration route across us. I expect this thing to develop really fast and really bad here.

I should also note that I used to work at a major research hospital in Toronto from 2002-2004, right during the middle of the SARS outbreak. And I've lived through the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic (often inaccurately referred to as the "swine flu").

Much of the same fears and anxieties about COVID-19 were also expressed during both of these, and (for the most part) people around the world survived through these. I don't see the current situation as being all that different.

Likes bhobba and hagopbul
kyphysics said:
Is anyone here AVOIDING public places and staying home more due to this virus?
I won't be. I wouldn't go on a cruise to China anytime soon, but once the virus gets here, I'm not going to self-quarantine to avoid it.

Likes bhobba
russ_watters said:
I won't be. I wouldn't go on a cruise to China anytime soon, but once the virus gets here, I'm not going to self-quarantine to avoid it.

why quarantine your self ?

hagopbul said:
That's basically what @kyphysics was suggesting. It would substantially reduce risk, but also substantially reduce quality of life.

chemisttree said:
The CDC really needs to update https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/identify-assess-flowchart.htmlto be used by healthcare professionals for identifying potential COVID-19 cases. The bolded part should be “...tests negative for flu...”“For the evaluation of patients who may be ill with or who may have been exposed to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

1. Identify if in the past 14 days since first onset of symptoms a history of either travel to china or close contact with a person known to have 2019-nCoV illness*
  2. AND the person has fever or symptoms of lower respiratory illness (e.g., cough or shortness of breath)
if both exposure and illness are present

Very prescient post.

The first suspected U.S. case of a patient getting the new Coronavirus through "community spread" — with no history of travel to affected areas or exposure to someone known to have the COVID-19 illness — was left undiagnosed for days because a request for testing wasn't initially granted, according to officials at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif.
[...]
UC Davis included more details about the case in its own statement, drawing on an email sent to staff at its medical center. It said the CDC initially ruled out a test for the Coronavirus because the patient's case didn't match its criteria.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...us-patient-in-california-was-delayed-for-days

bhobba said:
BTW, as he makes clear, do not buy face masks they are 100% useless, unless you are infected in which case you should be isolated for 14 days anyway.
I doubt most people even know how to use them. They need to be fitted to the individual and one size does not fit all. Different brands fit differently too.
Home Depot has one size, one manufacturer. Good luck with that!
I saw a couple of corona princess passengers returning to Australia wearing them upside down! you would think that they would have received the most basic of training. Running around trapping viral particles on an N-95 and then taking it off bare-handed, reaching under one to scratch a nose with and without gloves. Ugh! Why not just donate the money you would spend on them to charity?
1582832438998.jpeg

On the left- didn’t squeeze the nosepiece tightly against the face. That metal strip is there for a reason!
On the right - upside down!

Likes russ_watters
Ygggdrasil said:

From UCDavis email about the case.
Upon admission, our team asked public health officials if this case could be COVID-19. We requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, since neither Sacramento County nor CDPH is doing testing for Coronavirus at this time. Since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for COVID-19, a test was not immediately administered. UC Davis Health does not control the testing process.
CDC was still using its outdated selection criteria referencing recent travel to China! When will they update it?

God help us all...

StatGuy2000 said:
I should also note that I used to work at a major research hospital in Toronto from 2002-2004, right during the middle of the SARS outbreak. And I've lived through the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic (often inaccurately referred to as the "swine flu").
Were it otherwise that would really be necroposting!😂

• Haha
Likes StatGuy2000, Klystron and russ_watters
StatGuy2000 said:
I agree largely with the above points. All of the information about COVID-19 that we have available indicates to me that this outbreak will more closely resemble the flu, as opposed to MERS and SARS, in terms of fatality rates and the severity of the disease (despite the fact that COVID-19 comes from the Coronavirus family like MERS and SARS).

It's also worth noting that the CFS rate (that is used to estimate fatality, and is currently estimated to be around 2-3%) is based on the number of deaths out of confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection. Since the evidence is strong that many people infected exhibit no symptoms or only very mild symptoms (and thus escape detection) the true infection fatality rate (IFS) is likely far lower - again, more in line with the common flu. And there does not seem to be any evidence indicating that the virus is mutating to become either more virulent or more severe in terms of illness.

The one area where I disagree is the value of containment. Containment at this stage is still useful to slow the spread of the illness (to reduce the possibility of a more virulent mutation that could emerge) and to give more time for researchers to develop vaccines or more effective antiviral treatments for those at greatest risk of developing severe illness, even if complete containment is not possible.

It doesn't seem like the common flu. In Singapore, out of about 90 cases, about a tenth have had to be warded in an intensive care unit https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...institution-student-coronavirus-case-12475870. Also, there may not be that many missing cases https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25...fatality-rate-who-expert-says/comment-page-2/. So I agree it is important to slow the spread of the illness, otherwise hospitals and intensive care units may be swamped.

Last edited:
atyy said:
It doesn't seem like the common flu. In Singapore, out of about 90 cases, about a tenth have had to be warded in an intensive care unit https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...institution-student-coronavirus-case-12475870. Also, there may not be that many missing cases https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25...fatality-rate-who-expert-says/comment-page-2/. So I agree it is important to slow the spread of the illness, otherwise hospitals and intensive care units may be swamped.

I have read a quote from a US CDC official which indicates that approximately half of infections could in fact be asymptomatic, and out of those who are symptomatic, approximately 80% of patients exhibit only mild symptoms.

Also, it is worth keeping in mind that the link you've provided with respect to the Singaporean cases doesn't identify the age or health status of those who are in the ICU's. It may well be the case that these patients have other medical conditions that would have led them to be especially vulnerable to respiratory infections.

It's also worth pointing out that the very claim that cases are not being missed in China has been challenged in that very same StatNews article. And I'm inclined to agree with the criticism -- after all, someone who is asymptomatic or only exhibiting mild symptoms will likely escape detection, and thus not be counted as confirmed cases. And these asymptomatic or mild symptom cases are the most likely sources of new infections outside of China.

Likes morrobay
StatGuy2000 said:
Also, it is worth keeping in mind that the link you've provided with respect to the Singaporean cases doesn't identify the age or health status of those who are in the ICU's. It may well be the case that these patients have other medical conditions that would have led them to be especially vulnerable to respiratory infections.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761890
"Third, given the wide spectrum of clinical severity, clinical criteria and biomarkers are needed that can help differentiate individuals more likely to progress to severe illness. Although published reports to date have identified preexisting chronic noncommunicable diseases as being a risk factor for clinical deterioration, the experience to date in Singapore is that patients without significant comorbid conditions can also develop severe illness."

This is also true of the seasonal flu. #cases of seasonal flu is modeled rather than counted, death rates are higher with comorbidity, etc...
This still looks 10X worse than seasonal flu. CFR 1% vs 0.1%, hospitalization rate ~20% vs ~2%.

The biggest differences are the quarantine, travel restrictions, empty shelves, etc.

Went to COSTCO yesterday. Here is the section where rice is sold in 50 lb bags. Its been selling briskly!
B878623B-3559-4157-972B-E3D3B5BC0E44.jpeg

When I went back 15 minutes later, everything was gone.

Spreading Coronavirus forces U.S. administration’s targeted response plans

Thursday, February 27, 2020 by Kim Riley

[. . .]

The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) earlier this week sent Congress a total $2.5 billion emergency supplemental spending request to fight the Coronavirus outbreak, which U.S. government health officials warned will inevitably spread across the United States.

[. . .]

###
https://homelandprepnews.com/counte...-u-s-administrations-targeted-response-plans/

atyy said:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761890
"Third, given the wide spectrum of clinical severity, clinical criteria and biomarkers are needed that can help differentiate individuals more likely to progress to severe illness. Although published reports to date have identified preexisting chronic noncommunicable diseases as being a risk factor for clinical deterioration, the experience to date in Singapore is that patients without significant comorbid conditions can also develop severe illness."

The quote above only states that patients without significant co-morbid conditions can potentially develop severe illness. But this was already known from the experience of those patients in China, and it is also true (although to a lesser extent) to both the common flu and (much more significantly) to the H1N1 pandemic.

At any rate, I am still skeptical of the claim made by Dr. Aylward that somehow asymptomatic patients were not missed in China (and thus the CFR is an accurate reflection of the fatality rate).

chemisttree said:
This is also true of the seasonal flu. #cases of seasonal flu is modeled rather than counted, death rates are higher with comorbidity, etc...
This still looks 10X worse than seasonal flu. CFR 1% vs 0.1%, hospitalization rate ~20% vs ~2%.

The biggest differences are the quarantine, travel restrictions, empty shelves, etc.

Went to COSTCO yesterday. Here is the section where rice is sold in 50 lb bags. Its been selling briskly!
View attachment 257816
When I went back 15 minutes later, everything was gone.

I would be curious to see what proportion of patients are asymptomatic to infection from the seasonal flu. At any rate, while I recognize the seriousness of the current COVID-19 outbreak, I still feel that the response from the public is disproportionate to the nature of the risk, at least in terms of the empty shelves.

kadiot said:
This is one of the BEST articles of the COVID19 illness. Many points are raised here, some of which I have been thinking of but didn’t feel like I was qualified to discuss.
It uses misleading comparisons, e.g. the number of deaths from the virus up to day with the total number of influenza-caused deaths per year. I don't trust people who feel the need to make comparisons between numbers that have completely different background.
kadiot said:
5. Many patients in the Diamond Cruise showed they had COVID19 in their blood, but exhibited no symptoms, which is why unlike H1N1 and other deadly viruses that were quickly contained because patients were too ill to walk around, COVID19 infected patients will spread the virus without knowing as many of them are asymptomatic.
6. The world’s governments and the world’s foremost scientists are doing their best—seriously, cut them some slack.
Note that these claims are in contradiction to the article you liked so much.
StatGuy2000 said:
All of the information about COVID-19 that we have available indicates to me that this outbreak will more closely resemble the flu, as opposed to MERS and SARS, in terms of fatality rates and the severity of the disease (despite the fact that COVID-19 comes from the Coronavirus family like MERS and SARS).
The WHO estimates 0.94% infection-fatality ratio (95% confidence interval 0.37-2.9%). Where does your much lower estimate come from (the seasonal flu is below 0.1%), and why do ignore the higher estimate?
russ_watters said:
I totally agree, and I think this point gets lost in the media hype over the issue. 2-3% overall mortality would be really scary, but 2-3% of people already hospitalized is not.
It's ~10% of people who need to be hospitalized. People don't die immediately when they are tested, this takes some time, so death numbers are always behind infection numbers.
russ_watters said:
The Diamond Princess may be a good self-contained test. As of today, 705 cases and 4 deaths, or 0.6%. I would assume everyone onboard was tested, so the number of cases is probably reasonably solid.
That's an order of magnitude above the flu already, and as far as I know most of these cases are still having the disease. 4 died. How many recovered?
While cruise ships have a higher average age than the population they are also selected for health - people unable to walk around on a ship won't go there, and poorer people with worse access to healthcare are less likely to be on board as well.
kyphysics said:
No. No infection anywhere near me so far and the flu cases are quite limited, too.
StatGuy2000 said:
And for goodness sake, there is no reason to avoid hotels or public bathrooms or cancelling your trip! That's an overreaction.
I think I said that before, but you generalize too much. For trips to China or out of China you might have to cancel your trip simply because there are no flights or because borders have been closed. For trips to South Korea you might face quarantine when you come back. If you planned to go to a conference that was canceled you might want to cancel your trip. And so on.

kadiot said:
This is one of the BEST articles of the COVID19 illness. Many points are raised here, some of which I have been thinking of but didn’t feel like I was qualified to discuss.
It uses misleading comparisons, e.g. the number of deaths from the virus up to day with the total number of influenza-caused deaths per year. I don't trust people who feel the need to make comparisons between numbers that have completely different background.
kadiot said:
5. Many patients in the Diamond Cruise showed they had COVID19 in their blood, but exhibited no symptoms, which is why unlike H1N1 and other deadly viruses that were quickly contained because patients were too ill to walk around, COVID19 infected patients will spread the virus without knowing as many of them are asymptomatic.
6. The world’s governments and the world’s foremost scientists are doing their best—seriously, cut them some slack.
Note that these claims are in contradiction to the article you liked so much.
StatGuy2000 said:
All of the information about COVID-19 that we have available indicates to me that this outbreak will more closely resemble the flu, as opposed to MERS and SARS, in terms of fatality rates and the severity of the disease (despite the fact that COVID-19 comes from the Coronavirus family like MERS and SARS).
The WHO estimates 0.94% infection-fatality ratio (95% confidence interval 0.37-2.9%). Where does your much lower estimate come from (the seasonal flu is below 0.1%), and why do ignore the higher estimate?
russ_watters said:
I totally agree, and I think this point gets lost in the media hype over the issue. 2-3% overall mortality would be really scary, but 2-3% of people already hospitalized is not.
It's ~10% of people who need to be hospitalized. People don't die immediately when they are tested, this takes some time, so death numbers are always behind infection numbers.
russ_watters said:
The Diamond Princess may be a good self-contained test. As of today, 705 cases and 4 deaths, or 0.6%. I would assume everyone onboard was tested, so the number of cases is probably reasonably solid.
That's an order of magnitude above the flu already, and as far as I know most of these cases are still having the disease. 4 died. How many recovered?
While cruise ships have a higher average age than the population they are also selected for health - people unable to walk around on a ship won't go there, and poorer people with worse access to healthcare are less likely to be on board as well.
kyphysics said:
No. No infection anywhere near me so far and the flu cases are quite limited, too.
StatGuy2000 said:
And for goodness sake, there is no reason to avoid hotels or public bathrooms or cancelling your trip! That's an overreaction.
I think I said that before, but you generalize too much. For trips to China or out of China you might have to cancel your trip simply because there are no flights or because borders have been closed. For trips to South Korea you might face quarantine when you come back. If you planned to go to a conference that was canceled you might want to cancel your trip. And so on.

(the US put that guy in charge of fighting a Coronavirus outbreak)

• Wow
Likes mattt, kadiot and russ_watters
mfb said:
It uses misleading comparisons, e.g. the number of deaths from the virus up to day with the total number of influenza-caused deaths per year. I don't trust people who feel the need to make comparisons between numbers that have completely different background.Note that these claims are in contradiction to the article you liked so much.The WHO estimates 0.94% infection-fatality ratio (95% confidence interval 0.37-2.9%). Where does your much lower estimate come from (the seasonal flu is below 0.1%), and why do ignore the higher estimate?It's ~10% of people who need to be hospitalized. People don't die immediately when they are tested, this takes some time, so death numbers are always behind infection numbers.That's an order of magnitude above the flu already, and as far as I know most of these cases are still having the disease. 4 died. How many recovered?
While cruise ships have a higher average age than the population they are also selected for health - people unable to walk around on a ship won't go there, and poorer people with worse access to healthcare are less likely to be on board as well.No. No infection anywhere near me so far and the flu cases are quite limited, too.

(the US put that guy in charge of fighting a Coronavirus outbreak)

For starters, my intention on this thread is to temper the tone of some of the posts which seem to liken COVID-19 to the worst contagion the world has ever faced in history. My specific comparison to the flu was to place COVID-19 to other Coronavirus outbreaks like SARS or MERS, & all evidence to date indicates that COVID-19 is less severe with lower morbidity and death than these. It is more severe than most seasonal flu outbreaks, but not by an extraordinarily high measure.

And as far as cancelling trips, of course one should use good judgement. Cancelling trips to China is sensible. Cancelling a trip to, say, Spain or Hawaii is not sensible.

Likes Bandersnatch
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question to ask but Asymptomatic don't get sick but can infect others... so if they can not find a cure yet for covid-19, why not study the possibility of turning people into becoming asymptomatic. Is that possible? What's in their blood or body system?

StatGuy2000 said:
Absolutely not. It's important to keep in mind that the risk of someone contracting COVID-19 in the US and Canada is very low.

Same for Australia. I can't speak for other countries. I listen to the Wall St Journal each day, which is what I am doing right now as I write this. It seems some in the US are worried the President did not appoint a coronovirus Tsar. He has appointed the vice president to oversee it - I can't see exactly what a Tsar would do the vice president can't so I would not worry about that. It's now a game of slowing the spread until the vaccine, which as per my posed interview with the the head of immunology at the university on the Gold Coast, we now have, and has been sent to Australia's CSIRO for mass production, but will not be used until it passes safety and efficacy trials, except maybe for first respondents. That may be why we hear from sources its 18 months away - it takes time to do those trials. But how long with modern methods I do not know, and exactly what the CDC will recommend if it gets out of hand I do know either.

BTW with regard to face masks, while they are useless if you do not have the disease, and if you do, you should be quarantined; if you are going to the doctor because you think you may have it, ring ahead and they will supply you with a face mask on arrival, isolate you until the doctor can see you, then advise on precisely what you should do. That's how it works here and I suspect the same in other modern countries. What worries me is in the US due to cost people may not do that - so please, please if anyone asks you what to do make sure they get checked out. Hopefully procedures will be put in place for those that can't afford to see a doctor in places that do not have 'free' health care.

I also found out from the same professor on the Gold Coast, why the ship in Japan was so bad. It's so simple I do not know why I didn't see it - certainly the Japanese doctors should have seen it. The air conditioning on ships does not contain the filters that filter out viruses, airplanes do, but not ships, so virus laden air was circulated around the ship. They should all have been taken from the ship and isolated in a proper environment. Now the Olympics are in doubt.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and russ_watters
StatGuy2000 said:
Much of the same fears and anxieties about COVID-19 were also expressed during both of these, and (for the most part) people around the world survived through these. I don't see the current situation as being all that different.

Your not kidding. I had many 'discussions', especially with young people, who were obviously scared out of their minds. Their parents should have been explaining this stuff (maybe they were but didn't know the facts well enough), even their schools. One was so worried she even posted - I am going to die before I have had sex. That required a rather diplomatic response. But it does show schools should be getting the facts out to their students - possibly even getting people like the professor I mentioned before to come out and speak to the students - at least show them the interview I saw with him.

Thanks
Bill

kadiot said:
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question to ask but Asymptomatic don't get sick but can infect others... so if they can not find a cure yet for covid-19, why not study the possibility of turning people into becoming asymptomatic. Is that possible? What's in their blood or body system?

Not a stupid question. I suspect the hope is the number of people not symptomatic, but still able to spread the disease, is small enough (at the moment anyway), providing the other simple measures like hand washing are taken, it will not trigger an outbreak. But I have to say we do not know for sure. We now have a fast antibody test:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...se-antibody-test-track-coronavirus-infections

It may be we could be required to go to the chemist, doctor or some other community center regularly to be tested.

Thanks
Bill

Likes kadiot
StatGuy2000 said:
For starters, my intention on this thread is to temper the tone of some of the posts which seem to liken COVID-19 to the worst contagion the world has ever faced in history. My specific comparison to the flu was to place COVID-19 to other Coronavirus outbreaks like SARS or MERS, & all evidence to date indicates that COVID-19 is less severe with lower morbidity and death than these. It is more severe than most seasonal flu outbreaks, but not by an extraordinarily high measure.

It may be high enough that if you don't take it seriously, the medical services may not be able to cope. So I think comparing it to seasonal flu is misleading.

Likes mattt
hagopbul said:

If you know you have the virus, are not symptomatic, then quarantine is warranted. We now have antibody tests that can detect such people quickly. Likely though, unless there is mass screenings, you will not be picked up. Singapore is doing it, but nowhere else I am aware of, however that may just be a matter of time.

Thanks
Bill

russ_watters said:
I won't be. I wouldn't go on a cruise to China anytime soon...
So, I've now read that cruise ships nowhere near China are being denied entry into ports if there are passengers with respiratory infection symptoms. Here's one [not] in the Dominican Republic:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...uses-cruise-ship-amid-virus-fears/4897600002/

My parents just got back from a cruise in that vicinity last week! At the time I didn't think there was any risk, but now I'd say cruises anywhere should probably be avoided, not necessarily due to Coronavirus itself, but due to the potential fallout from fear of the coronavirus.

Likes chemisttree and bhobba
russ_watters said:
At the time I didn't think there was any risk, but now I'd say cruises anywhere should probably be avoided, not necessarily due to Coronavirus itself, but due to the potential fallout from fear of the coronavirus.

Agreed. Even before this you were always hearing of sickness spreading rapidly on ships and ruining peoples holidays - should have installed virus filters in air conditioning years ago. The Australians on the ship in Japan, were all tested before they were flown back to Australia, and only those that tested negative were allowed back. But it was stated they expected more cases to show up once they reached Australia and quarantined. Sure enough - 7 if I remember correctly did. Interestingly some complained about the conditions where they were quarantined:
https://www.northerndailyleader.com...hithams-on-arrival-at-darwin-quarantine-camp/

Yes they were legit issues, but the way I was bought up was Australians put up with deprivations when larger issues were at stake.

Thanks
Bill

Likes russ_watters
bhobba said:
Not a stupid question. I suspect the hope is the number of people not symptomatic, but still able to spread the disease, is small enough (at the moment anyway), providing the other simple measures like hand washing are taken, it will not trigger an outbreak. But I have to say we do not know for sure. We now have a fast antibody test:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...se-antibody-test-track-coronavirus-infections

It may be we could be required to go to the chemist, doctor or some other community center regularly to be tested.

Thanks
Bill

I'm not sure whether the antibody test will detect people who are not symptomatic and able to spread the virus. First, this assumes that these are people in the early stage of the disease, who have the virus, have no symptoms, and can spread the disease - these may not be sginificant, because it is unclear whether people spread the disease significantly when not symptomatic. But suppose we grant that there are such people. I am not sure whether the antibody test will detect these, because the article you linked discusses that the aim of the antibody test is to detect people who had the disease, and have recovered from it - ie. they are asymptomatic because they have no more virus - the article gives one case that is an example of this. The test can also of course detect people who are in the mid or late stages of the disease, who have both the virus and antibodies - the article also gives one case that is an example of this.

The reason I don't know whether the antibody test is effective early in the disease is that it takes time (don't know how long) for antibodies to develop. See Fig 3 of https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2266036/ for an example in mice.

Likes bhobba
StatGuy2000 said:
For starters, my intention on this thread is to temper the tone of some of the posts which seem to liken COVID-19 to the worst contagion the world has ever faced in history.
I don't think that's a good reason to post wrong information and advice that can be harmful. There is enough correct information available to calm down panicking people.
bhobba said:
It seems some in the US are worried the President did not appoint a coronovirus Tsar. He has appointed the vice president to oversee it - I can't see exactly what a Tsar would do the vice president can't so I would not worry about that.
Let me put it that way: You certainly want someone in charge who is willing to listen to scientists and their results. I'll leave implications to the readers as I don't want to go more into politics here.

Likes StoneTemplePython and bhobba
mfb said:
You certainly want someone in charge who is willing to listen to scientists and their results. I'll leave implications to the readers as I don't want to go more into politics here.

Fair point. I was thinking in terms of power to get things done. But willingness to listen to scientists I have no idea. I too do not want to get into politics here, since this forum is not the place to discuss it, plus I only know about Mike Pence from a interview he gave when he visited Australia.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
atyy said:
The reason I don't know whether the antibody test is effective early in the disease is that it takes time (don't know how long) for antibodies to develop. See Fig 3 of https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2266036/ for an example in mice.

Good point. But I am sure its being worked on because being able to detect early in the disease, then quarantine will slow its spread significantly. That is assuming the very new test Singapore is using does not detect it. There is so much we do not know right now, but I am constantly amazed at the pace of progress and that gives me hope. I haven't read Australia's exact response yet - it's been produced - but will read it soon and post it up. Although I did see a headline it involved mass immunization - but I really need to read the whole document.

Thanks
Bill

Ok. Our PM in Australia has activated our emergency plan:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/scott-morrison-tells-australians-to-prepare-for-coronavirus-pandemic/news-story/63e23a96e2e8fd3ba189285ab0ce6de0

This is just the first phase. Later phases, if required, include mass compulsory vaccinations and other 'draconian' measures - but IMHO you would need a very good medical reason to refuse a vaccination:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...plan-mass-vaccinations-and-stadium-quarantine

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Good point. But I am sure its being worked on because being able to detect early in the disease, then quarantine will slow its spread significantly. That is assuming the very new test Singapore is using does not detect it. There is so much we do not know right now, but I am constantly amazed at the pace of progress and that gives me hope. I haven't read Australia's exact response yet - it's been produced - but will read it soon and post it up. Although I did see a headline it involved mass immunization - but I really need to read the whole document.

Yes, an effective vaccine would be best. I also hope that some of the anti-viral drugs (remdesivir, or the protease inhibitors) mentioned earlier in the thread might work. Informally, there is hope about remdesivir https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/who-gilead-remdesivir-coronavirus/.

But back to your idea that if there is significant spread from asymptomatic individuals, I believe the existing PCR test would already do it (just maybe slow and expensive), since if asymptomatic individuals are able to spread the disease, their viral load must be significant.

Not exactly the same idea, but in the same spirit as yours, the UK is randomly testing people with flu-like symptoms for COVID: "In 100 GP surgeries, those coming in with milder flu-like symptoms - dry coughs, fever, shortness of breath - will be tested." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51641243

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
kadiot said:
I see no chance that such dubious tinkering with the immune system at the level where individual differences already matters would gain approval faster than a 'simple' vaccine.

Last edited:
Likes kadiot