Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, indeed. "Flatford Mill (Scene on a Navigable River)" painted 1816-17.
:partytime:
Jonathan Scott said:
It looks as if @1oldman2 got it first, although editing an existing post retrospectively is a little sneaky!
:frown: Be back soon.

Science news on Phys.org
An antipodean Rock, that,s "all".
now spin the globe, let's have a ball.

A Lazarus lobster, has been well hid.
in natures shield pyramid.

Oh Lord How I'd like, to give another clue.
but 20 kilometers will have to do. :cool:

Likes collinsmark
Are you referring to Balls pyramid:

Lord Howe Island.

Likes 1oldman2 and collinsmark
wolram said:
Are you referring to Balls pyramid:
Very nice! your up. :wink:

I am surprised i got that one, i was sure it was wrong:biggrin:

Your task is to find a temple dedicated to Vishnu. This engine is off the cam and does not run right, that does not bode well.

wolram said:
you have it. your turn:biggrin:
Ok, but could you explain your clue please? I took "Cam" and "Bode" as a reference to Cambodia so immediately assumed the reference was to Angkor Wat, but I didn't get the rest.

Likes Pepper Mint and 1oldman2
wolram said:
Your task is to find a temple dedicated to Vishnu. This engine is off the cam and does not run right, that does not bode well.

As you say CAM and BODE refers to Cambodia, and the temple is dedicated to Vishnu, the rest is just waffle

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
the rest is just waffle
I love waffles, :woot:

Likes Pepper Mint and wolram
wolram said:
As you say CAM and BODE refers to Cambodia, and the temple is dedicated to Vishnu, the rest is just waffle
:biggrin: Ah, that explains it. Funny, that's exactly what I thought, but I need to learn to trust my instincts!

I'm not sure how soon I'll have time to come up with another one.

(I'm currently busy fighting my Android tablet, which has installed all sorts of stuff and created lots of app data files on an SD card which I put in it "temporarily" some time ago to view some photos, so now I can't take the SD card out again without breaking lots of apps).

Likes Pepper Mint
Good luck with your Apps Johnathan:biggrin:

seems you are up 1oldman2.:cool:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
seems you are up 1oldman2.:cool:
Okay, a little "backtracking" here, find the antipodean "rock" of Balls pyramid from post #702 :wink:

You must have inside information 1oldman2, i can not find any thing on and around howe island,

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Okay, a little "backtracking" here, find the antipodean "rock" of Balls pyramid from post #702 :wink:
If you mean antipodal to Lord Howe Island, that's in the Atlantic near Madeira if my mental arithmetic on the coordinates is correct.

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
If you mean antipodal to Lord Howe Island, that's in the Atlantic near Madeira if my mental arithmetic on the coordinates is correct.
Your thinking along the correct lines there, the answer is all in the first line of post# 702 :check:

Likes 1oldman2
That is correct. :smile:
rockall.PNG

26426210.jpg

I sometimes wonder about the amount of time I spend wandering around G earth.

Thanks.

It's hard work finding a new one. I don't have a lot of time, having a full time job (IBM mainframe software support), a seriously time-consuming hobby (running and playing in two local orchestras) and two kids around during the summer break! Anyway, here's a quick one:

My daughter went to a concert recently about half an hour's drive from here in which her friends from youth orchestra were playing. The excellent concert hall is named after its strange shape, which has been likened to various things including the bow of a ship. Can you identify it?

Jonathan Scott said:
Thanks.

It's hard work finding a new one. I don't have a lot of time, having a full time job (IBM mainframe software support), a seriously time-consuming hobby (running and playing in two local orchestras) and two kids around during the summer break! Anyway, here's a quick one:

My daughter went to a concert recently about half an hour's drive from here in which her friends from youth orchestra were playing. The excellent concert hall is named after its strange shape, which has been likened to various things including the bow of a ship. Can you identify it?
One more clue please.

I live near Southampton UK as it says in my profile. That's in the county of Hampshire.

Likes 1oldman2
Sophia said:
This should be easy-peasy

All roads lead there
a place of amusement
a place of suffering
witnessed history
now depicted on a coin

i thought it was the white house in dc lol

Likes Sophia
Jonathan Scott said:
I live near Southampton UK as it says in my profile. That's in the county of Hampshire.

is it the
Mayflower Theatre

hsdrop said:
is it the
Mayflower Theatre
Sorry, no. That's much less than half an hour away! What shape is a Mayflower anyway?

I'm working on it but still "sucking air". This answers post #725
Capture.PNG

I'm only aware of three concert halls in the whole county of Hampshire, so I didn't expect this to take more than a few seconds of Googling.

Likes Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
I'm only aware of three concert halls in the whole county of Hampshire, so I didn't expect this to take more than a few seconds of Googling.
Okay, how about the anvil/forge?

1oldman2 said:
Okay, how about the anvil/forge?
Yes, The Anvil is the concert hall (and The Forge is part of the same complex). It's the best concert hall in the area, and Hampshire County Youth Orchestra performs there occasionally.

Unfortunately, it's outside the normal area for my orchestras, which have to use a school hall in Waterlooville (which is a good hall acoustically with raked padded benches for seating but lacks other facilities) and a theatre in Fareham (which provides nice seats, refreshments, box office and so on, but has dreadful acoustics).

The other nice concert halls in the area are very close to where we live; Turner Sims in Southampton (which is where my wife and I played in last year's "Beethovathon") and Thornden Hall in Chandlers Ford, which is also a school hall, but was purpose-built as a rehearsal and concert venue for the Hampshire County Youth Orchestra.

Anyway, over to you again!

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Turner Sims in Southampton (which is where my wife and I played in last year's "Beethovathon")
That must have been great, I love "moonlight sonata", my favorite keyboard piece of all time. :ok:
Jonathan Scott said:
Anyway, over to you again!
I'm on it. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
I'm on it.
That was a...
:doh:DOH! - Homer Simpson.
clue, anyhow... so there! [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldtongue:

OCR said:
I've got it, I've got it! ... "I'm on it" [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] a horse in the ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldlaugh:

No ?...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldgrumpy:
Well, no but the Pryor's are a beautiful range. The article reminded me of the opening scene in "Billy Jack" :cool:
Here is a pic I took from my back porch the other day, It's the local Wildhorse hiding behind a rainbow.
20160722_200845.jpg

OCR said:
That was a...
No, just stalling while I come up with the next question. I live on "Indian time" so being specific on time frame is problematic.

Likes collinsmark
i got one guys if no one minds bending the rules

Likes 1oldman2
hsdrop said:
i got one guys if no one minds bending the rules
Go for it!