Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
1st guess, Centaurs?

Science news on Phys.org
1oldman2 said:
1st guess, Centaurs?

HA Ha Ha keep guessing:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
I think I need something more. Saloon = car? I've been looking at trans-Neptunian objects and their moons, moons of outer planets, named comets, sources of meteor showers, names of space probes. Of course, if one goes beyond the solar system, there are things like Orion, Scorpio and Zodiac, but that doesn't seem relevant.

Likes 1oldman2
Hint time! Could this be classified as a resonate object?

comet.PNG
?

1oldman2 said:

You have gone the wrong way 1oldman2 you are looking for a celestial body, but if you solve the saloon part of the clue you will solve it easily. its aphelion estimated at 937 AU[3] (31 times Neptune's distance), making it one of the most distant known objects in the Solar System

Do you mean you can't spell "Sedan"?

Jonathan Scott said:
Do you mean you can't spell "Sedan"?

If you can spell Sedan you have the answer.Almost.

Likes 1oldman2
OK, so the clue involved an anagram of something which wasn't even in it. Sneaky!

o_O

The aphelion confirmed it (I didn't even have to Google). A case where the initially proposed name was adopted as official (hidden clue alert!).

Likes 1oldman2
Just wondered about giving the answer, but Google Maps don't seem to go that far (by about 13 billion km).

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Google Maps don't seem to go that far (by about 13 billion km).
interesting, :smile:

This has got to be it! :headbang: "Sedna"

Jonathan Scott said:
A case where the initially proposed name was adopted as official (hidden clue alert!).
Yes, that's what I think.

Likes 1oldman2
Paging Woolram.

Likes wolram
1oldman2 said:
Paging Woolram.

The answer is SEDNA another word for a saloon is sedan so it is an anagram of sadan

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
The answer is SEDNA another word for a saloon is sedan so it is an anagram of sadan
Nitpick: Sedna is actually an anagram of sedan which is a synonym of saloon, and the original clue didn't hint at the indirect level. So it's time for @1oldman2 to have another go, but I will try to find time to play properly soon if I can stop being grumpy for long enough.

Likes 1oldman2, wolram and Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
Nitpick: Sedna is actually an anagram of sedan which is a synonym of saloon, and the original clue didn't hint at the indirect level. So it's time for @1oldman2 to have another go, but I will try to find time to play properly soon if I can stop being grumpy for long enough.
:biggrin:

From Tripoli in the land of the metaphor,
Head on down to the nearest seashore.
Find the lair of a beast killed by the son of(a)god,
when you locate that give me a nod. :wink:

Hmmm. Is this Tripoli in Libya, Lebanon or Greece, or mythical?
Some say that Medusa (killed by Perseus, one of Zeus's many offspring) lived in Libya, but others say near Cisthene, Turkey.
So far, I can't find anything more specific!

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Hmmm. Is this Tripoli in Libya, Lebanon or Greece, or mythical?
Some say that Medusa (killed by Perseus, one of Zeus's many offspring) lived in Libya, but others say near Cisthene, Turkey.
So far, I can't find anything more specific!
the "nearest seashore" clue is relative in this case.

1oldman2 said:
the "nearest seashore" clue is relative in this case.
Tripoli in Libya and Lebanon are on the coast, so they have their own seashore, so "nearest" wouldn't make sense. The one in Greece isn't; one has to follow the road towards Argos to reach the sea at Myloi.

Hercules (Heracles) was also a son of Zeus and also killed a few beasts, such as the Lernaean Hydra, which lived in a lake near Myloi. Is that what you have in mind?

Likes 1oldman2
Very close to making it your turn, The other clue that would be useful is "The land of the metaphor."

1oldman2 said:
Very close to making it your turn, The other clue that would be useful is "The land of the metaphor."
Well, "metaphor" is from Greek words meaning across-carry, so I took that to be another possible hint that the "Tripoli" was the Greek one, in which case the location might be Lerna near Myloi. I didn't get anything new from it.

Likes 1oldman2 and Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
Myloi.
This is it, I was just "sandbagging it a bit to see if anyone else was going to take a shot at it. (Good job by the way)
Myloi.PNG

And the "Nearest seashore" explanation.
trip m.PNG

Okay your up!

1oldman2 said:
From Tripoli in the land of the metaphor,
Head on down to the nearest seashore.
Find the lair of a beast killed by the son of(a)god,
when you locate that give me a nod. :wink:
I appreciated the poetic riddle, and it also exercised my rusty knowledge of ancient myth, thanks.
I hope to come up with a new place soon, although at the moment my brain is overheating from the implausibly warm weather here in the UK.

Likes 1oldman2
Two hundred years ago, he painted a six foot picture of a building owned by his dad, by a river. It's one of those rivers tourists visit now for the tranquil rural scene. His most famous picture was painted nearby, and although the location of the subject is known exactly, it's difficult to say what county it is in.
Who is he, and can you identify the building?

Likes 1oldman2
In addition to the facts previously mentioned, I've included a hidden clue as to the location. The building is only a small part of the picture. The river is navigable, which may help.

Jonathan Scott said:
In addition to the facts previously mentioned, I've included a hidden clue as to the location. The building is only a small part of the picture. The river is navigable, which may help.
This is a "good one" patience please. (would I be making a mistake by focusing on the "navigable river") ? Could we be speaking of John Constables "Flatford mill" ?

Last edited:
If it's what I'm thinking, it's along the lines of an officer, maybe an English constable, posing undercover as a john.

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
maybe an English constable, posing undercover as a john.
I keep coming up with that also, now just which building are we speaking of ?

1oldman2 said:
This is a "good one" patience please. (would I be making a mistake by focusing on the "navigable river") ? Could we be speaking of John Constables "Flatford mill" ?
I missed your post before I posted my last one. We were thinking along the same lines. :wink:

Yes, I think you are correct. From the wiki site on John Constable,

"His father was a wealthy corn merchant, owner of Flatford Mill in East Bergholt"
We should wait for @Jonathan Scott for confirmation, but your guess pretty much fits all his clues.

1oldman2 said:
Yes, indeed. "Flatford Mill (Scene on a Navigable River)" painted 1816-17.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatford_Mill_(Scene_on_a_Navigable_River)

We're planning to visit the area in a few days from now as part of our family vacation, which is why I thought of it.

Jonathan Scott said:
It's one of those rivers tourists visit now for the tranquil rural scene.
The river is the River Stour, as in this hidden clue, which I believe in this case is actually correctly pronounced like the "tour" in "tourist". (There are other rivers with the same name "Stour" but pronounced differently).

The more famous picture painted in the same area but looking in a different direction is The Hay Wain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hay_Wain
The river is considered the boundary between the counties of Suffolk and Essex, so one bank is in each county, but the Hay Wain is in the river, so it's not clear what county it is in.

It looks as if @1oldman2 got it first, although editing an existing post retrospectively is a little sneaky!

Likes 1oldman2
Back