Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Dang it I'm sure it is Hawaii but i can not find any thing:mad:

Mauna Kea?

Likes Infinitum and ProfuselyQuarky
Science news on Phys.org
Mount Pelee is the only one i can find with mystical powers.

wolram said:
Dang it I'm sure it is Hawaii but i can not find any thing:mad:

Mauna Kea?
Well, in Mauna Kea, there is Lake Waiau, which is actually a on top of the Pu'u Waiau cinder cone volcano. That could possibly be what Infinitum is referring to by saying "burning lake". Maybe. I'm not sure if "it" is a mountain, though . . .

Likes Infinitum
There is some mythology with the lake, but nothing too evil.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
There is some mythology with the lake, but nothing too evil.

You keep looking Profusely, I'm all searched out.

You people are progressing the right direction, I like it!

But you really need to consider the second hint at this point -- the key word being "represented". Not everything is necessarily real.

Infinitum said:
You people are progressing the right direction, I like it!

But you really need to consider the second hint at this point -- the key word being "represented". Not everything is necessarily real.

So maps and Google Earth are no good?

wolram said:
So maps and Google Earth are no good?

They are, as the answer is an actual location on Earth. But to use the second hint, you will have to think beyond real maps/Google Earth. :wink:

Sorry i have to leave this thread for a while my bipolar has kicked in and i can not concentrate any more, please keep the thread going i will look in from time to time:biggrin:

wolram said:
Sorry i have to leave this thread for a while my bipolar has kicked in and i can not concentrate any more, please keep the thread going i will look in from time to time:biggrin:
Farewell, wolram. Sorry about your bipolar. Come visit soon! :-p

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Hang in there, will be back in the game soon. :ok:

At this point I'm inclined to rummage through old clues and hoping another gets given soon, This seems to be a very good riddle, can't wait to see where it goes.

I really stumped on the second clue. Since @Infinitum said that it wasn't "real", I tried to find old stories and myths and whatnot, but nothing really fits. I think we need another clue . . .

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I really stumped on the second clue. Since @Infinitum said that it wasn't "real", I tried to find old stories and myths and whatnot, but nothing really fits. I think we need another clue . . .

In my lucid moments i have search Hawaiian folk lore with no joy.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Very well. You are definitely progressing in the right direction, and may want to look into a relatively recent novel/story that has also had a movie adaptation.

Edit: Given the nature of our game, I feel it is worthy to mention that a part of that story also had an interesting riddle war. :biggrin:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
In my lucid moments i have search Hawaiian folk lore with no joy.

Oh no! please do not restrict yourselves to Hawaii.

Likes 1oldman2
Infinitum said:
Oh no! please do not restrict yourselves to Hawaii.

Okay back to square one.

wolram said:
Okay back to square one.

Not quite, for there are certain features in your previous guesses that are absolutely correct. My suggestion would be to keep those in mind for now and attempt to resolve the second part of the riddle, which should narrow down the search space a lot :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Lake#Sacred_significance

This is my latest atempt.
240px-Crater_Lake_winter_pano2.jpg

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:

Although not the right answer, the type of the lake is correct. The lake itself is not very famous.

Let me add another hint: The two diminutive peace-loving adventurers. The story is famous enough to have an impact on the English dictionary.

Likes 1oldman2
Infinitum, you are killing me i no idea where to search :frown:

I'm looking around Krakatoa simply because it has tree big islands around it

300px-Danau_Toba.jpg
Lake toba.

Although i can not find any mythology about Krakatoa that is my guess as it has the three big islands around it.

wolram said:
Infinitum, you are killing me i no idea where to search :frown:

Sorry! I didn't imagine this would be very hard. I have a feeling that the answer (to the second riddle at least) will be very obvious once someone finds out! :smile:

Also, looking at your recent guesses, you seem to be deviating. From what you guys have already discovered, the following are true:

1) "It" is a mountain.
2) The type of lake is a crater lake, meaning that "It" and it's "big brothers" are volcanic peaks. (As aforementioned, the lake itself is not very famous)
3) These have some sort of a story location that they "represented".

I would like to reiterate my previous hint that the story is relatively newer (than mythological tales) and was also adapted into a major movie, and also suggest you to look at the newer hints in the posts above. If no one is able to crack it by tomorrow, I will add another hint (or reveal the answer, based on consensus).

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Mount st Helens and elk lake

Infinitum said:
Located on an island, nearly an hour away from the burning lake contained by three of its big brothers, it lies, relatively calm.
These represented the traumatic home of a great evil, the destination of two peace-loving adventurers, and the place of birth and death of a prized possession.

Find "it".

Infinitum said:
1) "It" is a mountain.
2) The type of lake is a crater lake, meaning that "It" and it's "big brothers" are volcanic peaks. (As aforementioned, the lake itself is not very famous)
3) These have some sort of a story location that they "represented".

I would like to reiterate my previous hint that the story is relatively newer (than mythological tales) and was also adapted into a major movie, and also suggest you to look at the newer hints in the posts above. If no one is able to crack it by tomorrow, I will add another hint (or reveal the answer, based on consensus).

My guess is Mount Ruapehu in New Zealand, for the lake hint at least.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...2!3m1!1s0x6d2c200e17779687:0xb1d618e2756a4733

Although "it", if I understand the original challenge correctly, might be referring to the nearby Mount Ngauruhoe, which was used as a stand-in for Mount Doom in the filming of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the Lord of the Rings movies.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...2!3m1!1s0x6d2c200e17779687:0xb1d618e2756a4733

The Peace Loving adventurers could have been Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee, returning the prized ring to its birth and death place. Both of these mountains in New Zealand were involved in the filming. Each represented some part of Mordor or another, depending on the particular scene in question.

Image of Mount Ngauruhoe:
420px-MountNgauruhoe.jpg

Edit: Fictionalized version:
tumblr_inline_n5a6gcCy2S1remw5a.jpg

Edit: Another fictionalized version of image:
1426195310332.png

Yet another edit: Mount Tongario and its surroundings also made it into Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings adaptation, if I'm not mistaken. Although I'm thinking that Mount Ngauruhoe is still a better candidate for "it."

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Infinitum and 1oldman2
wolram said:
Although i can not find any mythology about Krakatoa that is my guess as it has the three big islands around it.
I have to admit I got hung up in that area for a while myself.

Collinsmark, that is the best guess yet. Wouldn't be surprised if your up next.:woot:

infinitum, your getting pretty good (master possibly) at this riddle business, good one. :thumbup:

collinsmark said:
Although "it", if I understand the original challenge correctly, might be referring to the nearby Mount Ngauruhoe, which was used as a stand-in for Mount Doom in the filming of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the Lord of the Rings movies.
Well done, @collinsmark! :partytime: And great efforts by the rest as well!

I don't believe I need to add any further explanation regarding the LOTR reference, as you explained it quite well. I love the fact that hobbit is now considered an actual word in the English dictionary, thanks to Tolkien's masterpiece(s). (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hobbit)

As for the possible confusion between the surrounding mountains, Mount Tongario actually contains multiple volcanic cones among which Mount Ngauruhoe is the most prominent, analogous to Mount Ruapehu which actually consists of three peaks (the three big brothers), and a crater lake. Therefore, the appropriate answer is Mount Ngauruhoe, as collinsmark aptly deduced.

1oldman2 said:
infinitum, your getting pretty good (master possibly) at this riddle business, good one. :thumbup:

That's too nice a compliment for a beginner like myself, but thank you :smile:

Likes 1oldman2 and collinsmark
This one is meant to be easy. At least I hope it's easy. It should be easy.

I was considering writing my own clues for this structure in the form of a poem. But there already exists a much better poem that bears repeating by Emma Lazarus. I love reading the poem. The structure it is associated with is an inspiration as well.

Maybe this is an excuse to post the poem. It has deep meaning and profundity, particularly in regards to society. If you happen to live within the society of which the structure is associated, perhaps this poem is worth a re-read; and if you happen to live in that society and still think this challenge is a hard one, perhaps read it again. Repeat as necessary. I say this only because I think some have forgotten the sentiment of the poem and the associated structure.

Even after the challenge is solved (which I'm hoping should be almost immediately after I post this), the poem is worth a good read, along with a good look at the associated structure.

What is the structure associated with this poem?

The New Colossus
by Emma Lazarus (1849 - 1887)

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”​

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
170px-Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg

My guess

Likes 1oldman2 and collinsmark
Will some one else please post a clue mine will not be very good.