Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
wolram said:
Will some one else please post a clue mine will not be very good.
Okay, I'll take it again, with, perhaps, an ever so slightly more challenging one. o0)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
It was 15th century* that I took stock,
When placed within the castle rock.
Are words of wit what you miss?
Maybe you should offer a kiss.
I'm nothing profound; just a slab,
Yet I can give the gift of the gab.

*(That's in terms of verifiable history, btw; associated legend may date earlier.)

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
By heck Infinitum that was quick, good luck on your exams:biggrin:

Holy cow wolram this thread is getting a lot of views, <now back to thinking of a good one for my next turn>

1oldman2 said:
Holy cow wolram this thread is getting a lot of views, <now back to thinking of a good one for my next turn>

Do not think two hard we do not want to strain thoughts old synapses:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Do not think two hard we do not want to strain thoughts old synapses:biggrin:
I think I just snapped a synapse :wideeyed:

Wait, what happened? I thought we had moved on to a new challenge by @wolram, regarding the cheese and Mallory.

Whatever the case, just to be clear, @wolram is correct regarding the Blarney Stone. :woot:

1280px-The_Blarney_Stone.jpg

I believe @wolram could comment regarding who's turn it presently is.

Likes wolram and 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
Wait, what happened? I thought we had moved on to a new challenge by @wolram, regarding the cheese and Mallory.

Whatever the case, just to be clear, @wolram is correct regarding the Blarney Stone. :woot:

1280px-The_Blarney_Stone.jpg

I believe @wolram could comment regarding who's turn it presently is.

Let the first one to post a clue be next.

A pig floats high up in the sky,
between four towers, give this riddle a try.:dog:
The river batters the sea, now there's a clue,
have patience while we think this through.:horse:
Two old "blues brothers" lent there names,
to this place I mention in these riddle games.:penguin:
If you don't have the answer yet,
more clues from me your sure to get.:audio:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
The first clue is reference to the pink Floyd pigs between the Battersea Power Station, right?

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
The first clue is reference to the pink Floyd pigs between the Battersea Power Station, right?
Wow! good time P.Q. you nailed it right off the bat. your turn :smile:
19722830.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Score! I love this story, so here's a picture with the pig for everyone to see:
Pink-Floyd-Oli-Scarff.jpg

Please be patient for the next riddle. I've got lots of studying to do (luckily no exams like @Infinitum, though!)

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Please be patient for the next riddle. I've got lots of studying to do (luckily no exams like @Infinitum, though!)
No hurry, fun and games wait for the studying to be complete. (priorities have priority) :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Here's the next riddle, and it actually rhymes (kind of)!

The name for this place is the name of a fictional boy,
Whose goal in life is to mock and destroy,
It’s a common setting for a popular show,
Where the detective jumps off, though the act is a faux.
In a country that’s known for a remarkable ring,
It was founded by a monk who was a favorite of the king.
Figure this riddle then you shall follow subsequently,
Which is good ‘cause I’m no good at this horrid poetry.

Likes 1oldman2
Nice one, @ProfuselyQuarky!

220px-Barts-main-entrance.jpg

St. Bartholomew Hospital (or St. Bart Hospital), located in London.

The fictional boy is Bart Simpson who is famed for being rather rebellious.

The detective show refers to BBC's Sherlock which portrays his "jump to death" from the same building. I must admit that I was fairly disappointed by how they explained the faux, but that is a completely different story...

Lastly, I am unsure whether ring refers to London's Eye, or an actual ring.

@1oldman2: I would like you to pose our next riddle. :smile:

EDIT: I mentioned that as I felt 1oldman2 had not had a chance to pose his riddle for quite a while, but I just noticed that he did so the previous turn. Apologies for the confusion! Anyone may feel free to post!

Awesome job, @Infinitum! The London Eye was the ring I had in mind as well. You got every clue correct exactly! :partytime:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Okay, here's another. This one's going to be easy and you'll know you have the answer right off the bat (as 1oldman2 would say)

A place to see fish,
A place to see jellies,
A place to see creatures that aren’t ordinary.

Located halfway up California,
It competes with the newbie that’s located in Georgia.

Its neighbor is a research station,
From a university,
That PQ wants to go to,
Very, very badly!

That last clue probably won’t be much help,
But here is the last one: this place loves kelp!

Like I said, you'll know it's the answer once you figure it out, so just go on making riddles without me telling if it's correct or not. I won't be here for a while . . .

Last edited:
Let the game begin! first guess is Seymour Marine Discovery Center, Monterey Bay. 100 Shaffer Rd. just off of McAllister way.
19246809.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and wolram
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Like I said, you'll know it's the answer once you figure it out, so just go on making riddles without me telling if it's correct or not. I won't be here for a while . . .

Looks like you are in 1oldman2:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Looks like you are in 1oldman2:biggrin:
In the interest of fairness, I can't believe I got it on the first guess, let's give it a little bit to see if there is any feedback or more likely answers while I work up my next riddle. The search engine aspect makes this more a matter of deduction/technique than raw knowledge so my next one will be a little more involved and take some time. I'm hoping PQ's statement of "won't be here for some time" only alludes to time spent in class rather than out of town etc. :oldwink: The nature of this thread seems to be that we all should work on our "next one" when time is available. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
In the interest of fairness, I can't believe I got it on the first guess, let's give it a little bit to see if there is any feedback or more likely answers while I work up my next riddle. The search engine aspect makes this more a matter of deduction/technique than raw knowledge so my next one will be a little more involved and take some time. I'm hoping PQ's statement of "won't be here for some time" only alludes to time spent in class rather than out of town etc. :oldwink: The nature of this thread seems to be that we all should work on our "next one" when time is available. :smile:

1oldman 2 i was drawn to Monterey bay too not sure about the university though.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Here is one to go on with until Profusely answers:
Commissioned by Carl Jacobsen
Commissioned in 1909
Modeled after a ballerina
Sits by the water side
Not far from a star shaped fortress.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
wolram said:
1oldman 2 i was drawn to Monterey bay too not sure about the university though.
I suspected UCSC it's near but I'm not sure of connection and correlating the "newbie in Georgia" wasn't entirely successful. Thats why I would be surprised if I got it on first guess.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
Here is one to go on with until Profusely answers:
Commissioned by Carl Jacobsen
Commissioned in 1909
Modeled after a ballerina
Sits by the water side
Not far from a star shaped fortress.
...processing... we must be talking about a statue or monument?

Now this is what I was referring to about the search engine aspect, not getting an exact location other than Langelinie promenade, Copenhagen Denmark.
mermaid.PNG

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and wolram
Dang it i only read about it today.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
wolram said:
Dang it i only read about it today.
shame someone tried blasting it from its base recently, I like it nearly as well as "girl and dolphin" by the Tower bridge.
towerbr..PNG

Stand by I'm working on a "space filler" while I come up with something good.:wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hey, quick break + WiFi access = time to check in! (No, I haven’t left on a month long journey to some somewhere like Northern Canada where internet is unavailable. It’s just school stuff.)

Anyway, @1oldman2, you are so incredibly close! Literally, you are 1 hour away from the answer. Think about the university research station. When I say “neighbor”, I mean building-next-to-building. As for Georgia, Georgia has the same type of place that is becoming (or is) as famous as the answer.

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Hey, quick break + WiFi access = time to check in! (No, I haven’t left on a month long journey to some somewhere like Northern Canada where internet is unavailable. It’s just school stuff.)

Anyway, @1oldman2, you are so incredibly close! Literally, you are 1 hour away from the answer. Think about the university research station. When I say “neighbor”, I mean building-next-to-building. As for Georgia, Georgia has the same type of place that is becoming (or is) as famous as the answer.
Sweet! I'm on it :thumbup:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
The only university of any merit i can find in that area is Stanford nothing about sea life though:frown:

wolram said:
The only university of any merit i can find in that area is Stanford nothing about sea life though:frown:
Yes! Stanford! That's the university! You're close! . . . incredibly close!

Hopkins Marine Station, i can not find a picture though
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Yes! Stanford! That's the university! You're close! . . . incredibly close!
[

wolram said:
Hopkins Marine Station, i can not find a picture though[
The Hopkins Marine Station is the neighbor. What's next to it? What place next to it is somewhere you can go and visit fish and jellies and marine creatures?

Back