Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
Knowledge is power.
Power currupts.

Knowledge corrupts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Who was the sixth?

Riker

Huckleberry said:
Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting

good movie---

This is my favorite quote:

If you went to the trouble to read this, then you have too much time on your hands:
Terry: God helps those who help themselves
Larry: God helps thieves?

From am episode of scrubs:
Cox: You are, in fact, a perfectly healthy 26-year-old doctor who keeps
whining about how horrible his father was.
J.D.: Well, he did some considerable emotional damage, so...
Cox: Every one of our parents does considerable emotional damage, and from
what I've heard, it just might be the best part of being a
parent. Now, if some guy ever does put a ring on your finger and
you're lucky enough to pop out a youngster I'm sure you'll
understand. But for now, believe me when I tell you I wouldn't
care if this was the first time you ever met your daddy. Because,
in reality... well, he could have done a much, much worse job.

ranger said:
From am episode of scrubs:
:smile: I love Scrubs.

Inimitably, Cox' line there is actually a compliment to J.D. (read last line, all the rest is smoke screen).

Quote from my Grandfather:

I was about twelve staying with the grandparents one summer and he answered my question about which piece of chicken he liked to eat first (but it really covers just about anything in life):

"Eat the best first, and you'll always have the best."

(meaning: of what's left, there will a 'best' of the group still to choose from)

“Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are.” –Richard Feynman

“I am a personal optimist but a skeptic about all else. What may sound to some like anger is really nothing more than sympathetic contempt. I view my species with a combination of wonder and pity, and I root for its destruction. And please don’t confuse my point of view with cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you everything is gonnna be alright.” –George Carlin

unborn tommorrow dead yesterday
why fred about them if today be sweat

"He has no enemies, but is intensly disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend...if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second, if there is one." - Response from Winston Churchill

"Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" - Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it!" - Response from Winston Churchill

Last edited:
Life is too short, you need to spend more time with the people you love

The Clintons have dreamed of the day that a black man would be President; but not on their watch! - Carl Bernstein

" If you didn't cure cancer today then you did nothing today"

CLINT EASTWOOD

So you are going to send the Daleks to hell?

I told you he was good. :approve:

- Mickey

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix

South Carolina is not what the Greeks had in mind when they founded democracy.
- Mark Shields
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june08/sbfallon_01-18.html

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I send a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

Why is it that Physicists always always require so much expensive equipment? Now the Department of Mathematics requires nothing but money for papers, pencils, and waste paper baskets and the Department of Philosophy is better still. It doesn't even ask for waste paper baskets.
-University President

There is no such thing as a foolproof device, because fools are so ingenious

The stories speak to something inside us that wants to know how our world lives, that wants to make order of it and find some meaning. Myths fulfill that in a way that science and facts don't always do, because science and facts don't always give us meaning.

This is my all time favorite quote for the reason that the first time I read it, I seriously felt like a switch was suddenly turned on in my head. It's like I never realized that there was such a different way of seeing things in the world. My bookshelf now is incredibly different than what it was two or three years ago.

Math Jeans said:
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I send a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
All three are great, though Groucho and Twain have a special place in my heart. If you haven't read Ambrose Bierce's "Devils Dictionary", you should. You seem to have an appreciation for the sardonic that matches mine.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Larry the Cable Guy

"Mix religion and politics and you get politics"

Have we covered this one?

In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty two miles. This is an average of a trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upward of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together, and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Mark Twain

However, I'm not denying' the women are foolish: God Almighty made 'em to match the men.
George Eliot

What we know is not much. What we do not know is immense.”
Pierre-Simon Laplace

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

I promise I will never even THINK about going up in a tall building again.
John McClane (Die Hard)

euler_fan said:
What we know is not much. What we do not know is immense.” Pierre-Simon Laplace

For an alternative point of view:

The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so.

Josh Billings

man ,proud man
rest in the little brief authority
most ignorant of what he's assured
playing fantastics tricks before high heaven
as make the angels weep.....

The other day I felt like exercising, so I decided to lie down until the feeling went away - WC Fields.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting"

- Ernest Rutherford

I like the quote, but have absolutely no idea what it means :cry:

Not that I would know, first hand...

"Intelligence is like four-wheel drive. It only allows you to get stuck in more remote places." -- Garrison Keillor

But my personal favorite:

"They laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!" -- Bob Monkhouse

:smile: Makes me laugh every time I hear it!

Likes gracy
its supposed to be "favourite quotations"

I heard "killing two birth with one stone". I find this is not enough

Because people can kill more than two birds with one stone
I have read many lyrics millions of times. I think I may clearify about these people in my signature next time. They must rise and be famous!

Chipmunks said:
I heard "killing two birth with one stone". I find this is not enough
Are you wearing a Freudian slip?

_Mayday_ said:
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting"

- Ernest Rutherford

I like the quote, but have absolutely no idea what it means :cry:

My interpretation is that he's saying all sciences - chemistry, biology, astronomy, even psychology are nothing more than a logical extrapolation of the fundamental phenomena that are studied in physics. They are all extremely narrowly-focused studies of physics.

eg. Even the way your mind works can be ultimately traced back to subatmic particle interaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M"
-Carl Sagan's quote about the Pale Blue Dot

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
-Abraham Lincoln

If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow if I can.

Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

- J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by a moderator:
For the older folks -

It's never to late to recapture who you were,

or to become who you want to be.

Don't pass on your dreams.

- synthesized from characters on Kyle XY.