Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
We are the universe trying to understand itself - a buddy of mine, original source unknown

Physics news on Phys.org
"Life so fragile. Loss so sudden; many hearts so broken. In the wake of such a loss, we’re haunted by things we don’t - and may never - understand. Yet the solace we seek may not come from answers. Therefore, we look for comfort in the belief of love’s everlasting connection. May that love lift you, hold you close, and give you peace."
~Pt. SURESH SUGRIM.
http://myguyanachronicle.com/2007/10/26/new-jersey-arya-samaj-share-grief/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Innuit have a language that is ten-thousand years old, but they never had a word for "robin". Now they have robins flying all around.
- Sen John McCain

There is a time for compromise - it's called "later". - some wiseguy, smart@$$.

I recommend our 'wildest' expectations be downgraded to 'great'. - some optimist. :biggrin:

"Why, this is so simple that even a four year old child could understand it. Now, someone go find me a four year old child. I can't make heads or tails out of this". - Groucho Marx

Likes gracy
A lie requires two people: One to lie and one to listen. - From Bill Moyer's Journal tonight.

Regarding concerns expressed by the 60+ crowd that Obama is too young to be President, Ellen Goodman asks a rather interesting question:

Is it possible that the very people who didn't trust anyone over thirty when they were twenty, now won't trust anyone under fifty, when they're sixty?

"I'm taking the weekend off - for the rest of the year" :biggrin:

Came up in a conversation with a colleague. We've been working 12+ hr days and weekends for several weeks now.

I totally lost track of this thread, and don't have time to read the whole thing now, so this might be a rerun.
In the second worst movie that I've ever tried to watch (after 'The 40-Year Old Virgin'), namely 'Lost In America', the wife reprimands Albert Brooks when he returns from the bathroom in the middle of the night with, "Didn't your mother teach you to wash your hands after you go to the bathroom?"
His response was, "No; she taught me not to piss on my fingers."
It was the only decent thing about that show, and we had to stop watching after half an hour.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
- Einstein

Reporter: Some analysts are predicting that gasoline will hit $4 a gallon this summer.

Bush: Really, I hadn't heard that.

Last edited:
Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows
obedience like corn, which grows in
rows and makes weeding easy. But
sometimes it grows the potatoes of
defiance, which flourish underground.
· Terry Pratchett​

―​
Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
· A.E. Houseman​

―​
For all your days prepare
And meet them ever alike:
When you are the anvil, bear;
When you are the hammer, strike.
· Spanish Proverb​

―​

All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined,
with all the treasure of the Earth in their military chest;
with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force,
take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the
Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point then is the approach of danger
to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must
spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad.
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its
author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must
live through all time, or die by suicide.
· Abraham Lincoln​

Last edited:
The only thing worse than not knowing something, is not knowing that you don't know.

a colleague (this has to do with unforseen problems that could lead to injuries or fatalities)

Similar to "what you don't know may kill you".

I know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military is a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars.
- Barack Obama, October, 2002
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16903253/page/2/

Astronuc said:
The only thing worse than not knowing something, is not knowing that you don't know.

a colleague (this has to do with unforseen problems that could lead to injuries or fatalities)

Similar to "what you don't know may kill you".

Reports that say something hasn't happened are interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

Same idea; a lot more words.

lisab said:
Reports that say something hasn't happened are interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

Same idea; a lot more words.

LOL! I remember reading that in a little book called “Donald Rumsfeld: Zen Master Poet.”

I don't remember the quote litterally, but Einstein once said something like that the most remarkable thing about nature is that we can actually understand it.

I have a long way to go in the world of science, but the more I learn the more amazed I am that we can make even a slightest sense out of anything. The odds seem so small to me, how come all these square laws work, why and how do the mathematical constants pi and e arise. And what is that we human beings are actually doing when we're "thinking"? If the slightest thing in nature would change it seems that nothing would work anymore.

ShawnD said:
Basically anything Samuel L Jackson says.

"I'm a mushroom cloud laying mothaf***a, mothaf***a"
"I am the foot f***in masta"
"God came down from heaven and stopped these motha f***in bullets"
"you know cops tend to notice s*** like you're drivin a car drenched in f***in blood"

Some of his best work is in dialogue though, he's Jules.

Jules: Hey f*** nigga what the f*** did you just do to his towel, man?
Vince: I was dryin my hands
Jules: Well you're supposed to wash em first
Vince: Well you watched me wash em
Jules: I saw you get em wet
Vince: I was washin em, this s***'s hard to get off; maybe if I had lather I could do a better job
Jules: I used the same f***in soap you did and when I finished the towel didn't look like no god damn maxipad

Ah I love that movie :biggrin:

God Is Great! God Is Love! God is Good!

"When history was written, it will say..." -- George Bush at some speech. Lol, looks like he needs to review some basic grammar.

"Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" from the movie Dr. Strangelove.

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." from the movie GoodFellas

Last edited:
"I could never understand ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own -- not something that happens by accident of birth." - George Carlin

[William F] Buckley and I debated Ronald Reagan and John McCain's father... and we beat Reagan so badly that day in 1978 that he was never heard from again!

~ George Will

"Dreams" by Poe

O! that my young life were a lasting dream!
My spirit not awakening, till the beam
Of an Eternity should bring the morrow.
Yes! tho' that long dream were of hopeless sorrow,
'Twere better than the cold reality
Of waking life, to him whose heart must be,
And hath been still, upon the lovely earth,
A chaos of deep passion, from his birth.
But should it be- that dream eternally
Continuing- as dreams have been to me
In my young boyhood- should it thus be given,
'Twere folly still to hope for higher Heaven.
For I have revell'd, when the sun was bright
I' the summer sky, in dreams of living light
And loveliness,- have left my very heart
In climes of my imagining, apart
From mine own home, with beings that have been
Of mine own thought- what more could I have seen?
'Twas once- and only once- and the wild hour
From my remembrance shall not pass- some power
Or spell had bound me- 'twas the chilly wind
Came o'er me in the night, and left behind
Its image on my spirit- or the moon
Shone on my slumbers in her lofty noon
Too coldly- or the stars- howe'er it was
That dream was as that night-wind- let it pass.

I have been happy, tho' in a dream.
I have been happy- and I love the theme:
Dreams! in their vivid coloring of life,
As in that fleeting, shadowy, misty strife
Of semblance with reality, which brings
To the delirious eye, more lovely things
Of Paradise and Love- and all our own!
Than young Hope in his sunniest hour hath known.

Last edited:
“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel” — Socrates

It's been so many decades since I read this that I can't remember who said it. I believe that it was either one of the old-time scientists like Einstein or Bucky Fuller, or one of the 'Golden Age' SF writers. "Knowledge is the ultimate instrument of Mankind's survival in the universe." I always loved that one for its simplistic truth.

Dr Wolper: I tell you Boris, that one of these days we'll look into our microscope and find ourselves staring right into God's eyes, and the first one who blinks is going to lose his testicles.

Peter O'Toole: from the film Creator.

Last edited:
"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common. There can be no peace so long as hunger and want are found among millions of the working people, and the few who make up the employing class have all the good things of life. Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, and abolish the wage system."

Preamble to the Constitution of the Industrial Workers of the World, ratified in 1905

Praise no day until evening, no wife before cremation, no sword till tested, no maid before marriage, no ice till crossed, no ale till it's drunk.

Tend the oak if you want to live under it.

Great deeds and ill deeds often fall within each other's shadow.

Confide in one, never in two. Confide in three and the whole world knows.

Only a fool lies awake all night and broods over his problems. When morning comes he is exhausted. And his troubles are the same as before.

Old Norse sayings (from the Poetic Edda/Hávamál)

Chris Mathews [Hardball] ~ Senator Obama, do you ever go to bed laughing at the absurdity of the events of the day?

Obama: Yes, every time I watch a cable news station.

~ It was announced today that the Clinton's combined income of 109 million dollars was derived mainly from Bill Clinton's speaking engagements, book sales, and stud fees.
- SNL

How true is this?
Politicians consider a collection of platitudes a plan.
~ Elizabeth Edwards on someone's health care plan

Robin Wright: I have covered six wars in the Middle East...

Stephen Colbert: Which one did you like best?

Ok, not to sound, er, insulting? but american politics? C'mon... So much for 'favourite quotes'...

Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [the Babel fish] could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic
-- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (book one of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series), p 50

If you're going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh, or they'll kill you. -G.B. Shaw