First World Problems: Share the Silliest Things That Bug You!

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, people hate it when things don't go the way they're supposed to. They also hate it when they can't find the droids they're looking for, when their touchscreen has lag, and when autocorrect ruins their typing speed.
lisab said:
The vaccination I got today hurts a little bit. I just peeled the band-aid off, and that hurt a little bit, too.
Where did you get it? oo) And can I see it? :oops:

davenn said:
some first world problems ...

View attachment 74964
That looks suspiciously like one of my best friends! What is that vile substance that someone is attempting to drown him in?

Evo said:
She doesn't work there anymore.
Poetic justice...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cheap dental floss. It frays, tangles up between your teeth and then breaks. You feel worse than you did with just the wedged-in flake of oatmeal that made you reach for the floss in the first place. :mad:

Last edited:
I hate flossing, because every time I do, I end up with a mouthful of blood. I brush my teeth very thoroughly though, so I've never had any tooth problems.

And as for the cookie and milk picture, you just got to break the cookie in half. Sometimes there's an outer coating on some desserts that prevents the penetration of milk into its interior anyway, so you must break it in half.

That's hard to believe you don't have any dental issue without using dental floss. No matter how hard you brush your teeth, you won't be able to get all the food remains away from tiny slots between your teeth especially those staying near the wise ones. But the stronger you brush you teeth, the more your teeth enamel layer gets worn out, which later induces tooth decays more easily. However, it may be that your daily food intake might contain good ingredients to make up for your loss, so they look healthy to you.

I hate when people don't let you rant. Ranting is cathartic, and some people don't seem to understand that. Even if it's something ridiculous that they're ranting about, just let them get it out of their system. Rationalize with them later. But some people seem to have absolutely no ability to empathize.
I can't think of any specific examples so I'll make one up. Let's say you hit you foot on the bed frame and hurt it really bad and you get upset and you want to rant to someone about how stupid bed frame designs are. Then the person you rant to immediately takes the side of the bed frame designers and explains how there's nothing wrong with bed frames and how it's the consumer's fault for positioning it in a place where it can be kicked.
Some people even tend to hop on the opposing side automatically, even if it's a valid rant. I don't get that.
Medicol said:
That's hard to believe you don't have any dental issue without using dental floss. No matter how hard you brush your teeth, you won't be able to get all the food remains away from tiny slots between your teeth especially those staying near the wise ones. But the stronger you brush you teeth, the more your teeth enamel layer gets worn out, which later induces tooth decays more easily. However, it may be that your daily food intake might contain good ingredients to make up for your loss, so they look healthy to you.
I've never had any tooth pain or any cavities. And by thorough teeth brushing, I don't mean scrubbing them hard. I mean getting every square millimeter of tooth surface area cleaned. I guess except for the tiny portion that only floss could reach. But I use mouth wash all the time, and rinse my mouth with water every time I eat anything.
Want me to take a picture of the inside of my mouth so you can see?

Now that's a rant! :)

When someone doesn't squeeze their toothpaste from the bottom of the tube.

The continuous "upgrades" of Windows so that computer layout and organization are completely changed, almost as if you had bought a new computer. Where are my picture files now? Where is my Math Software? How do I even look for files?

leroyjenkens said:
I hate flossing, because every time I do, I end up with a mouthful of blood.
Likewise, and that was with a little "Hummingbird" electric flosser because my fingers can't fit into my mouth. I don't bother any more. I don't even bother brushing. A twice daily rinse with nitric acid seems to do the job just fine (although my tastebuds seem to have diminished somewhat in their effectiveness.)

These are both linguistic in nature, but I figure that they're eligible for this thread since they're products of the times.
First, one that grits my gears to the point that I seriously contemplate violence: people who insist upon adding the syllables "ohol" or "ihol" or "[any vowel]hol" into a word that refers to an addiction. Is a workaholic really addicted to workahol, or is he really just a workic? And how many people are really addicted to chocahol? As an alcoholic, and a writer, I'm seriously offended by this blatant stupidity.
By the same token (although I suspect that this might be a Yank-specific problem that just spills across our borders), the addition of the word "gate" to anything of a scandalous nature. Simply because some inept criminals under the direction of an inept President of the USA got caught with their pants down in a hotel the name of which ends in "gate", all of a sudden everything is "steroid-gate " or "ebola-gate" or whatever other inanity the news media dreams up. (And yes, Fox news is the main culprit; my best guess is that they fantasize their stories between doing lines in the bathroom).

edit: Hmmm, now that I think of it... since I'm both an alcoholic and something of a pervert, maybe the term "sexaholic" would be a reasonable compound word to describe me...

Last edited:
Likes Enigman
I think I may have the most ridiculous one: you are typing, and you want to write .i.e. , but, if you are not
careful, the spell-corrector will capitalize the first I into I.e , since there is a period before the I , and the software seems to believe you are starting a new sentence. Isn't it a tragedy I must suffer through this? When does my suffering end? I need a support group to get me through it.

WWGD said:
I think I may have the most ridiculous one: you are typing, and you want to write .i.e. , but, if you are not
careful, the spell-corrector will capitalize the first I into I.e , since there is a period before the I , and the software seems to believe you are starting a new sentence. Isn't it a tragedy I must suffer through this? When does my suffering end? I need a support group to get me through it.
Why would you write i.e. with a leading period?

DrClaude said:
Why would you write i.e. with a leading period?

I hadn't noticed it did not have a leading period up till now. Still, a related "problem",if you see the quoted message, is that the i in i.e., was switched into an I.

WWGD said:
the i in i.e., was switched into an I.
The simple solution to that is "Computer, meet Axe", but I don't suppose that you're quite that adamant about it.

And how about all those cases of finding pieces of fingers in your food? I had to chew on one I found for more than 25 minutes to get it to go down.

Last edited:
For me, if food is anywhere but in my mouth or on a plate, it's gross. Like if I get some on my arm or clothes, I want to get it off immediately because it's disgusting somehow. Or if it's on the plate, but hanging on the edge or somehow on the bottom or side of a bowl, it might as well be a cockroach.

DrClaude said:
Prices stickers that you can't peel off without leaving a bunch of glue on the thing you bought.

There also are bar codes which always seem to be on the glass, brass, or chrome plated surfaces of hardware items. To make things worse a lot of fruit sold in grocery stores have nasty hard to peel off identity stickers on them. They won't peel off they have to be cut off with a sharp knife. Try to peel one off with a table knife and it will gouge a hole in your apple big enough for a bird to fly through. (OK so maybe just a bumble bee.)

DrClaude said:
Prices stickers that you can't peel off without leaving a bunch of glue on the thing you bought.
If you're like me, you have acetone on hand.

Oh that reminds me of that god forsaken sticker that left a bunch of glue of my MSc certificate. Why the hell do they have to glue my seat number onto my certificate?

Danger said:
The simple solution to that is "Computer, meet Axe", but I don't suppose that you're quite that adamant about it.
Axe, meet Computer. May you have a wonderful time together, as brief as it may be.

It's really annoying when I sing into my google account from a different PC and it doesn't recognize me...:mad:

Lisa! said:
It's really annoying when I sing into my google account from a different PC and it doesn't recognize me...:mad:
Try signing instead of singing;):D

Likes Danger, Lisa! and Borg
RonL said:
Try signing instead of singing;):D
:smile:
Oops! But I guess singing is the best thing to do at that moment

Likes RonL
Lisa! said:
:smile:
Oops! But I guess singing is the best thing to do at that moment
I'll trust you can carry a tune and say maybe yes.:)

SteamKing said:
I'm still trying to figure out how a whole mouse got thru the plumbing and nozzles on the coffee maker.
It couldn't. Even if the initial part of the plumbing could have accommodated it, the final stage of the water's path before hitting the coffee and the filter is a spray head with holes no more than maybe 1 mm in diameter. Unless that mouse was as compressible as any gas on the planet, it had to have been placed, or climbed, into the cup. Given that the dude is a New Brunswicker, he probably put it in there himself as a protein supplement. They grow them a bit odd out there.

One of my others is peanut allergies. What the hell's up with that? For the entire 12 years that I was in school, not one single person was ever allergic to peanuts. And now no kid is allowed to eat them ever?! To paraphrase one of my favourite comics, Tim Nutt, (because I can't remember the exact wording): If your kid is so allergic to peanuts that he'll die if my kid has a peanut butter sandwich at home, don't get attached; he ain't going to make it.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
I agree. I tried to send out an email (Outlook) from a motel in Iowa on my trip to the Wisconsin Science Festival to let my daughter know I made it on the first leg of the trip. They wanted proof of who I was. WTF. Isn't that what passwords are for? :mad::mad:

Google is great at that.

"You log in from an unexpected location. You can confirm your identity via your email address." Okay, did that.
"Please change your password" - why? Didn't I just prove that I was me? Tried to use the old (not THAT old!) password again.
"You cannot re-use an old password" - so I have to choose a new password every time I use some unexpected IP address? I was in 6 different countries the last 2 months. I rarely use my google account, otherwise I guess I would have to use [password]1, [password]2 and so on.

my pet internet explorer hate ...

it always defaults to wanting to save pics to the pictures folder with no way to turn that default setting off, rather that saving it to my previously saved folder
This happens in 2 situations
1) when explorer is used for the first time after a startup
cuz once you have saved to another folder it will continue to do so
2) unless you go to a different www page, where it will default back to the pic's folder even tho you want to save the similar images to that other folder

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr total pain in the butt

I have the same problem with Chrome, I always have to change the save to the folder I want. It's not just IE.

Evo said:
I have the same problem with Chrome, I always have to change the save to the folder I want. It's not just IE.

I keep getting a pop up that says: Google Chrome CPU usage high. I don't even have Google Chrome.

Likes lisab
edward said:
I keep getting a pop up that says: Google Chrome CPU usage high. I don't even have Google Chrome.
LOL!

I found out that chrome runs based on IE. I was shocked. MY IE was deleted and chrome stopped working, had to reload IE, seems most things on my computer which i'd have thought had nothing to do with IE are all dependent on IE. The error message from chrome said it needed IE to function.

oh ok
When I was on Win XP I used to just delete the pic folder ... it would give me maybe several weeks before the OS decided on its own to reinstate the pic folder

haven't tried that on win 7 yet

D

edward said:

hahahaha try and figure that one out!