First World Problems: Share the Silliest Things That Bug You!

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, people hate it when things don't go the way they're supposed to. They also hate it when they can't find the droids they're looking for, when their touchscreen has lag, and when autocorrect ruins their typing speed.
When people will take medication to mask their symptoms, go to work and not bother to tell people that they have the flu. Thanks for giving me the flu and wrecking my vacation plans. :oldruck:

Likes Medicol and RonL
Physics news on Phys.org
Our clothes dryer doesn't have a buzzer that sounds when it shuts off. sob sob

Since my wife broke her ankle I have been called on to do odd things. One day she asked me if I would get her wrinkled blouse off of the bed and put it in the dryer with a damp wash cloth then set the timer to permanent press for 15 minutes.

Then she told me to be sure to get the blouse out as soon as the dryer shut off. . WHAT, was I supposed to stand around waiting for 15 minutes. I had to think about that for a few seconds.

Then I went into the living room where she was watching television and grabbed the remote. I set the sleep timer for 15 minutes and told her to call me when the TV shut off. :D

Likes dlgoff, OmCheeto, collinsmark and 1 other person
My 1977, hand-me-down microwave oven, Sharp model R-8200, blew its internal/infernal fuse, for the 5th time. It took me 10 minutes to warm my coffee this morning. :oldcry:

Likes Medicol and edward
edward said:
... I went into the living room where she was watching television and grabbed the remote. I set the sleep timer for 15 minutes and told her to call me when the TV shut off.
She my use this technique when the ankle heals. Just sayin'.

Organizing all my FP+ times and locations for rides with 6 people at Disney World for 5 days while still having time to make lunch and dinner reservations in the alloted time windows.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/fastpass-plus/
Under 2 weeks to go and counting down fast. :D

dlgoff said:
She my use this technique when the ankle heals. Just sayin'.

I am not to sure about that. The master remote that controls the cable, the TV, The VCR, and five or three other things has her confused. The sleep timer can only be set on the remote for the TV and it doesn't turn the cable box off. She tries to turn the TV back on by pressing the ALL ON button on the master remote. That does turn the TV back on but at the same time it turns the cable box off. This results in her getting into a self generated first world tizzy.

I sat down with her this morning and explained that if the green light is lit on the cable box, the box is on. There is no light lit on the cable box when it is off. If the red light is lit on the TV the TV is off. If there is no light lit on the TV the TV is on. :D I explained to her with care and in a gentle tone that all she has to do is pick up the master remote, then press the TV button, and then press the power button. "Do not press the ALL ON button" I whispered in her ear.

Ongoing first world dilemma in Tucson[/B]

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
edward said:
I am not to sure about that. The master remote that controls the cable, the TV, The VCR, and five or three other things has her confused. The sleep timer can only be set on the remote for the TV and it doesn't turn the cable box off. She tries to turn the TV back on by pressing the ALL ON button on the master remote. That does turn the TV back on but at the same time it turns the cable box off. This results in her getting into a self generated first world tizzy.

I sat down with her this morning and explained that if the green light is lit on the cable box, the box is on. There is no light lit on the cable box when it is off. If the red light is lit on the TV the TV is off. If there is no light lit on the TV the TV is on. :D I explained to her with care and in a gentle tone that all she has to do is pick up the master remote, then press the TV button, and then press the power button. "Do not press the ALL ON button" I whispered in her ear.

The other day you seemed like my unknown twin brother and now it sounds like we are married to the same woman, LOL :D

Likes dlgoff and edward
edward said:

RonL said:
The other day you seemed like my unknown twin brother and now it sounds like we are married to the same woman, LOL :D

I think your wives are my girlfriend. Yesterday she wanted to install her new Sony Blue-Ray player to here existing Sony system. Had a hell of a time explaining and when I asked for a DVD to test it out, it didn't work. Spent an hour going through a hundred menu items while listing to her reading the directions. Turned out she had put a software game disk in the player. :headbang: At least I'm not married. :oldeyes:

Likes edward
dlgoff said:
I think your wives are my girlfriend. :headbang: At least I'm not married. :oldeyes:

And just how does that let you off the hook ?:rolleyes::D

RonL said:
And just how does that let you off the hook ?:rolleyes::D
It doesn't. But it probably has a little to do with how much time I spend here.

Likes edward and RonL
Singing magnets!

These are awesome little toys. They're ellipsoidal, allowing them to easily change their orientation. If you toss them in the air near each other, they'll attract each other, colliding and vibrating with a cool little buzz. If you lay them on the table, just far enough that they don't roll into each other, pushing the end of one will set both magnets dancing with each other. Plus the fun little magic trick where one magnet is hidden in your hand and you mysteriously set the other magnet mysteriously dancing in response to you merely passing your closed hand over it. Etc. Do this at work all day and your coworkers will demand your desk be relocated to the parking lot.

It's great fun for the 5-year-old grandson, too! He'll play with them all through lunch at the restaraunt if you let him. The only way to get him to stop playing with the magnets and to eat his lunch is to take the magnets from him and put them in your pocket...

... which, unfortunately, is the same pocket you put your wallet in...

... which means by time lunch is over, every card you own has been corrupted and will no longer work...

... which, in a world where cash is practically obsolete, one can find themselves with no way to pay for lunch!

Actually, most experienced cashiers can deal with this by manually entering your credit card information into the computer, similar to on-line sales. But erasing every card in your wallet at once? Absolutely priceless!

And, for the record, this hasn't actually happened to me. But I did send my grandson home with a pair of these without warning his parents about them, so I'm patiently waiting...

Likes Borg and OmCheeto
BobG said:
Do this at work all day and your coworkers will demand your desk be relocated to the parking lot.

This actually happened to me. My next-office-neighbor would click-buzz his in his pocket, several times a day. It got to a point where all I would have to say is, "Damn it, John!" and he would apologize and stop.

It's great fun for the 5-year-old grandson, too! He'll play with them all through lunch at the restaraunt if you let him. The only way to get him to stop playing with the magnets and to eat his lunch is to take the magnets from him and put them in your pocket...

... which, unfortunately, is the same pocket you put your wallet in...

... which means by time lunch is over, every card you own has been corrupted and will no longer work...

... which, in a world where cash is practically obsolete, one can find themselves with no way to pay for lunch!

Actually, most experienced cashiers can deal with this by manually entering your credit card information into the computer, similar to on-line sales. But erasing every card in your wallet at once? Absolutely priceless!

And, for the record, this hasn't actually happened to me. But I did send my grandson home with a pair of these without warning his parents about them, so I'm patiently waiting...

It would be well deserved :devil:.

First world problem: remote controls. Do we control them, or do they control us?
Here is my collection of remote controls. I challenge PFers to beat my number of controls (11), I'm sure some could do that :D. The big one to the right is a fun one I found in a second hand store, it's huge (ca 13 cm x 26 cm). I have been thinking about rebuilding it into a controller for computers, but I haven't got around to do it yet.

16157953996_a15fae7a62_o.jpg

Last edited:
Likes lisab and OmCheeto
DennisN said:
I challenge PFers to beat my number of controls (11)
Must resist trip to garage...

Likes edward and OmCheeto
Borg said:
Must resist trip to garage...
Don't resist! :w

Likes edward and OmCheeto
Why resist ?

BobG said:
But erasing every card in your wallet at once? Absolutely priceless!
A colleague did that once. The magnet was a bit larger, but the concept was the same.
Luckily, we do not live in a world where cash is practically obsolete. The US is just a small part of the world.

Today's first world problem. Went to buy a bag of chips marked 75 cents and the guy tells me 90 cents. I said "15 cents tax?" to which he replied that the sign was wrong. When I returned the chips, he actually got offended. He was also the manager and made no effort to change or remove the incorrect price. I guess that he counts on most people not paying attention.

Danger said:
Don't worry about it. If you're that immersed in your tech gadgets, you'll probably never have a chance to reproduce, let alone have grandchildren.

I have learned from personal experience that this is not an effective form of birth control.

Likes davenn, dlgoff, lisab and 2 others
Not first world per se, but...

When the number of sausages don't match the number of buns.

Psinter said:

Not sure but I think the hot dog / bun problem was brought up earlier in the thread.

phinds said:
Not sure but I think the hot dog / bun problem was brought up earlier in the thread.
It wasn't, I searched :smile:.

Psinter said:
It wasn't, I searched :smile:.
Darn. I was sure it was but didn't search. My bad.

It's okay. :)

phinds said:
Darn. I was sure it was but didn't search. My bad.
Sounds like a first world problem phinds.

Likes phinds
Working on vehicles requires two sets of tools, standard and metric. Geez engineers, just pick one.

Geez engineers, just pick metric.

Fixed that for you. 95% of the world population uses SI, 5% uses imperial units. Which one would you call "standard"?

First World Problem: I am in need of a cat safe computer keyboard.

Likes phinds
Psinter said:

What I really don't understand is why they haven't taken it the logical next steps.

1. Add cheese slices to the mix. 8 buns plus 12 dogs plus 14 cheese slices means they have to buy enough for 168 complete dogs.

2. Use prime numbers. 7 dogs , 11 buns and 13 cheeses means they have to buy enough for 1,001.

Likes Psinter, OmCheeto and mfb
mfb said:
Which one would you call "standard"?

The machines I work on are mostly Whitworth, BSW, BSF... that's a first world problem: "I LIKE old stuff..."

Borg said:
to which he replied that the sign was wrong.
Which is illegal, by the way.
You were within your legal rights to demand to pay only the advertized price.

Pet pee'ves :)