First World Problems: Share the Silliest Things That Bug You!

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, people hate it when things don't go the way they're supposed to. They also hate it when they can't find the droids they're looking for, when their touchscreen has lag, and when autocorrect ruins their typing speed.
Often, nothing that I can control is using it, ...
My search for the offender:

Windows Task Manager - Processes
Right click offender - Open File Location
Right click offender - Delete

:H:D

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
As much as I'm loathe to admit this, it might not be a Windows fault as opposed to an application one. The only reason that I say that is because I've encountered similar, but different, on several of my Macs when dealing with particular pernicious programs, but in my case rebooting doesn't help.
I've encountered similar problems where some application or service screwed up the file lock (or whatever it's called) so badly that a reboot didn't fix it.

However, in the case in the screenshot I pasted above, I simply changed Matlab's working directory to that folder, then tried to delete the folder using the Windows explorer. It seems like it should not be hard for Windows to tell me that Matlab is the culprit (or if there is more than one culprit, name at least one of them), instead of leaving me to guess.

Not a big deal if you only have a few applications open, but otherwise it can be pretty annoying. If I have been working for a while (days or weeks) without a reboot, it can take upwards of an hour to get back to full productivity after a reboot. Multiply this lost productivity by billions of users worldwide, and it starts becoming a measurable fraction of GDP. :)

I rarely scan my credit/debit card correctly the first time :mad:. And when using some cash machines, the sun shines on the screen and I can't read a word!

lisab said:
And when using some cash machines, the sun shines on the screen and I can't read a word!
I thought that you only prowled at night... ;)

Well, let Microsoft get it together, it is a 1st world problem after all, you're missing the point of the thread.

lisab said:
What silly things bug you?
Hearing a recording tell me "Your call is very important to us" followed by an expected wait time in the 10's of minutes.

Borg said:
Hearing a recording tell me "Your call is very important to us" followed by an expected wait time in the 10's of minutes.

Think how bad it would be if your call wasn't important :P

Ryan_m_b said:
Think how bad it would be if your call wasn't important :p
That would be after I wait for twenty minutes and the customer service person 'accidently' disconnects my call.

Borg said:
That would be after I wait for twenty minutes and the customer service person 'accidently' disconnects my call.
Oh, I hate that.

First world problems? First world guilt. It used to have another, less PC, epithet.

When you try to peel the shell of a boiled egg and the white thingy sticks to the shell.

Psinter said:
When you try to peel the shell of a boiled egg
Why would anyone do that? I just chop mine in half with a knife and scoop out each half with a teaspoon. They come out slicker than owl snot on a brass doorknob. Each one is exactly one bite, or they can be deposited in a large bowl for smashment into egg salad.

Likes Enigman
Danger said:
Why would anyone do that? I just chop mine in half with a knife and scoop out each half with a teaspoon. They come out slicker than owl snot on a brass doorknob. Each one is exactly one bite, or they can be deposited in a large bowl for smashment into egg salad.
Hmmmmm. I never thought of that. I've been doing it wrong this whole time then. o:) :)

Psinter said:
Hmmmmm. I never thought of that.
I live to educate. :D

Actually, it never crossed my mind before that anyone did it differently.

Danger said:
OMG! That's what I do, works beautifully.

I peel eggs in the water, the shell runs of very easily.

nuuskur said:
I peel eggs in the water, the shell runs of very easily.
I thought that you're not supposed to eat while swimming.

Toilet paper that has the first 3 layers all glued together so you have to rip them off and discard them.

SMArt cars, just on principle. I have wheeled luggage that is bigger and faster than those things. They're nothing but mobile speed bumps.

Danger said:
I thought that you're not supposed to eat while swimming.
Smartass :D I meant the water you pour into the..the utensil, billycan, whatever it is after you take it off the stove. Besides, I always hated when the shell cracked a little and 1 tiny microscopic piece of the shell got left on the egg and while eating, you can feel that something is not as soft as it should be :D When you peel in the water, it never happens.

Likes Danger
Prices stickers that you can't peel off without leaving a bunch of glue on the thing you bought.

Likes dlgoff and edward
jtbell said:
In an old Peanuts cartoon strip, Charlie Brown watched Linus rip off the top of a new box of breakfast cereal.

Charlie Brown: "How can you do that after the Snicker-Snack cereal company spent all that money designing a new improved easy-to-open box?"

Linus (superciliously): "My heart bleeds for the Snicker-Snack cereal company."
I have rarely seen an "easy-to-open" box that was easy to open.

DrClaude said:
Prices stickers that you can't peel off without leaving a bunch of glue on the thing you bought.
Was shopping for fruit the other day and there were these apples that had small stickers on them and when I peeled the sticker off a bit, it was..glue. Are they even allowed to do that? (No, didn't buy those apples.)

nuuskur said:
Was shopping for fruit the other day and there were these apples that had small stickers on them and when I peeled the sticker off a bit, it was..glue. Are they even allowed to do that? (No, didn't buy those apples.)
I guess the glue has to be edible.

nuuskur said:
Was shopping for fruit the other day and there were these apples that had small stickers on them
I read somewhere that those stickers are also the bane of sewage processing centres because everyone flushes them down the drain. They are the perfect size to plug up the pores in the solid waste sieves, and the sieves have to be regularly taken offline to be cleaned manually.

My work provides us with "safe" heaters to run under our desks. They're so small, they will heat either your right foot or your left foot. Not both.

nuuskur said:
Smartass :D
Thank you. And that's only my secondary brain. :cool:
You should try having breakfast at my niece's house some time. She's an excellent cook (makes the best bannock that I've ever tasted), but she's blind and has no idea as to how many chunks of eggshell are in her fried or scrambled eggs. What the hell... it's just a calcium supplement.

lisab said:
My work provides us with "safe" heaters to run under our desks. They're so small, they will heat either your right foot or your left foot. Not both.
So get three of them and have a party...

DrClaude said:
Yes, so annoying! And slow WiFi, major first world problems.

Another one of mine is only taking hand luggage on a trip, leisurely waiting for everyone to enter the airplane (we all leave at the same time anyway), then finding out there is no space in the overhead compartment or under the seat anymore. The next trip you'll feel forced to be first to enter the airplane, like all the other passengers.

I hate it when I go to the online dictionary, type in a word, and it says that what I typed isn't a word, and then offers me another word that could have been what I intended, and then I click on that word, thinking that may have been it, and the dictionary tells me that's not a word either.

The vaccination I got today hurts a little bit. I just peeled the band-aid off, and that hurt a little bit, too.

lisab said:
The vaccination I got today hurts a little bit. I just peeled the band-aid off, and that hurt a little bit, too.
Flu vaccine? Yes, this year's hurt a bit at first. Not as bad as last year's.

Likes lisab
some first world problems ...

cookie-milk.png
images2.jpg

lisab said:
awww :(

something to make you feel better :)

yellow-rose-with-leaves-picture.jpg
Dave

Likes Evo and lisab
Evo said:
Flu vaccine? Yes, this year's hurt a bit at first. Not as bad as last year's.
Yes, it was a flu vaccine. The nurse said it was subcutaneous instead of the usual intramuscular type. I agree it wasn't as bad as last year's.

Funny a few years ago I told the nurse that subcutaneous vaccines were coming out and she laughed at me and told me that couldn't happen as it had to be intramuscular. She doesn't work there anymore.