Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Yep, that's the open air museum in Wdzydze Kiszewskie.

Actually I selected pictures in such a way they will be difficult to locate, but they will suggest an open air museum, after which googling for school in an open air museum in Poland was yielding a correct answer without much further effort.

In general chałupa means a wooden house, better than a shack.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:

Actually I selected pictures in such a way they will be difficult to locate, but they will suggest an open air museum, after which googling for school in an open air museum in Poland was yielding a correct answer without much further effort.

That wooden house should make a nice retirement home for OmCheeto:devil:

I love that old school. My mother taught in small one room schools in rural Ohio from 1918 to 1928. When she was in her 90's I took her back to the area. We found one school intact with the seats still in place. The farmer who owned it came by and told us that his father had attended school there. Mom was absolutely thrilled. And I was too to tell the truth

Last edited:
I must be getting old; that school room looks very similar to one I had at age 8, when the main school didn't have enough classrooms so one year was moved to a old school nearby as an "annex". Later that year they replaced the multiple desks with individual desks. The following year they allowed us to start using ball-point pens (biros) instead of inkwells and dip pens (which were admittedly wooden or plastic with brass nibs rather than quills!).

edward said:
I did this the old fashioned way and lost fair and square. LOL I have the entire list of open air museums in Poland. I started at top and planned to go through all of them, that is until I stopped for dinner.

Unfortunately they are listed in alphabetical order and this one in the link below is listed under the city Wdzydze ,Kiszewskie.

http://openairmuseum.pl/lista-skansenow

This bit from wiki makes it a very special place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wdzydze_Kiszewskie

I was having absolutely no luck googling with English words, and I'm not sure I'd ever heard of an "open air museum", so I went to google translate and converted: School mill wood Poland
to Polish. The translator seemed to think I was trying to write a sentence and it came out with: Szkoła Polska drewno młyn
which if you reverse the translation, it comes out: School of Polish timber mill

Fortunately, it was close enough, and it only took me 10 minutes to find the place via a second search: Wdzydze Kiszewskie - Skansen, Muzeum
Which yielded the wooden fishing house.

"Skansen" being Polish for "open air". Which I didn't know until just now.

Anyways, here's the next landmark:

pf.wtlm.2014.09.04.1728.jpg

Also fishing village related.
I suppose "Hobbit" would be a good clue. Though using "Hobbit" as a search term doesn't yield the landmark.

Borek said:

Ha! You should have posted an image of this thing from edwards link.

It looks like someone had a bunch of spare flower pots, got bored, and cemented them all together.

The translator says; "Dome of a heating stove tiles pot (concave)..."

Interesting. Though I'd hate to be involved in a homework problem describing the airflow around it.

OmCheeto said:
Ha! You should have posted an image of this thing from edwards link.

Doable:

http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/lato2014/IMG_9604.jpg

OmCheeto said:
"Skansen" being Polish for "open air". Which I didn't know until just now.

To quote wikipedia: "European open-air museums are variously known as skansen, museums of buildings and folk museums."

In colloquial meaning here "skansen" means also something old and long not used. Say, you got a new job and you are asked to feed paper tape to computer to read the data. You could say "what is it, skansen?"

Jonathan Scott said:
I must be getting old; that school room looks very similar to one I had at age 8, when the main school didn't have enough classrooms so one year was moved to a old school nearby as an "annex". Later that year they replaced the multiple desks with individual desks. The following year they allowed us to start using ball-point pens (biros) instead of inkwells and dip pens (which were admittedly wooden or plastic with brass nibs rather than quills!).

I remember going through the: dip pen, to fountain pen, scenario. I was really clumsy with the dip pen.:redface: For some reason we were never allowed to use ball-point pens even in high school. Penmanship was a big issue in those days. It is a wonder anyone ever became a medical doctor.:devil: We could type our papers if we had taken a typing class. I took typing my first year of high school for that very reason.

Now what is this new landmark OmCheeto has thrust upon us?

Borek said:
Have you ever seen such a thing elsewhere? It is quite the work of art.

ps. I decided that it was the community sock warmer.
To quote wikipedia: "European open-air museums are variously known as skansen, museums of buildings and folk museums."

In colloquial meaning here "skansen" means also something old and long not used. Say, you got a new job and you are asked to feed paper tape to computer to read the data. You could say "what is it, skansen?"
I'll have to let you go first, before we have another "great landmark pause".
Kinetic video game + european colloquial term for old and long not used = Wii + skansen = Wisconsin!

edward said:
I remember going through the: dip pen, to fountain pen, scenario. I was really clumsy with the dip pen.:redface: For some reason we were never allowed to use ball-point pens even in high school. Penmanship was a big issue in those days. It is a wonder anyone ever became a medical doctor.:devil: We could type our papers if we had taken a typing class. I took typing my first year of high school for that very reason.

Now what is this new landmark OmCheeto has thrust upon us?

Another [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE] small hint is, that I took the photo.

OmCheeto said:
Have you ever seen such a thing elsewhere? It is quite the work of art.

It wasn't a new idea for me, I believe I have seen something like that in the past. But I don't remember details.

ps. I decided that it was the community sock warmer.

It is a variant of kachelofen (I took the name from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry_heater, never heard nor seen it before). The idea was that having larger surface it should work even better than one with a flat surface. Somehow I am not convinced it did work as expected.

Borek said:
It wasn't a new idea for me, I believe I have seen something like that in the past. But I don't remember details.

It is a variant of kachelofen (I took the name from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry_heater, never heard nor seen it before). The idea was that having larger surface it should work even better than one with a flat surface. Somehow I am not convinced it did work as expected.

As your link mentions the concept of using ceramic has been around for a long time. My best guess is that using ceramic pots was something most anyone could do. And the pots probably were plentiful because they are easy to make. Not just anyone could work with metal even if they had the metal.

edward said:
As your link mentions the concept of using ceramic has been around for a long time. My best guess is that using ceramic pots was something most anyone could do. And the pots probably were plentiful because they are easy to make. Not just anyone could work with metal even if they had the metal.

Not that easy. Making tiles/kachels was a craft with its own guild structure.

Interestingly, Polish wiki says pot-shaped kachels were the earliest version (around 11th century), they became flat much later.

A view of the vessel that took me fishing to catch my very first salmon.

pf.wtlm.2014.09.06.0744.jpg

And second. :smile:

Of course, the Bay is the landmark.

Here's a picture of the bridge in the background via Google Earth.

pf.wtlm.2014.09.06.0816.jpg

I think it would be most entertaining if bridges were really designed like that.

To be honest it is trivial to find (especially remembering you are in Oregon), but I have nothing ready to post and I am busy with other things.

$55000? Can't believe it.

Borek said:

Stop trying to confuse people. That is from another thread. :mad:

I think. :confused:

99% sure that that is from another thread. o:)

Actually the number is from wikipedia.

Borek said:
To be honest it is trivial to find (especially remembering you are in Oregon), but I have nothing ready to post and I am busy with other things.

It did become much easier once the bay was mentioned. Good golly before that I was looking at the Oregon coast Hobbit Trail and trying to clear the smaug out of my head..:-p

It is Depoe Bay, and after I found it I realized that I have crossed that bridge several times.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Depoe_Bay_Bridge_seaside_-_Oregon.jpg

The city promotes it as the worlds smallest harbor. And the bridge is listed on the US National Register of Historic Places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depoe_Bay,_Oregon

Last edited:
edward said:
It did become much easier once the bay was mentioned. Good golly before that I was looking at the Oregon coast Hobbit Trail and trying to clear the smaug out of my head..:-p

It is Depoe Bay, and after I found it I realized that I have crossed that bridge several times.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Depoe_Bay_Bridge_seaside_-_Oregon.jpg

The city promotes it as the worlds smallest harbor. And the bridge is listed on the US National Register of Historic Places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depoe_Bay,_Oregon

Correct! And fortunately for you all, I have to go back to my nap, as otherwise, I would spend hours talking about the fishing trip.

"That fish was so blah blah blah blah..." :zzz:

Compared to the last landmark this one is rather small. And this is just a small part of it.

2yp0ivd.jpg

Yet still I had to do a bit with the paint program to stop uncle Google from finding it. Just mentally remove what isn't supposed to be there.

It appears to be a stone bridge built a loooong time ago.

344uwb5.jpg

The bridge was originally built as a crossing place over the water and was utilized by shepherds who used the land to graze their sheep. The water eventually became a hazard. In recent years a person was seen hanging from the bridge.:eek:

v2sk0z.jpg

OK here is a picture that passes the uncle Google test without as much skew and cropping.

2lt4hg4.jpg

Skew and cropping, isn't that the favorite dish of people living south of the equator.

I checked with Google it definitely is not the favorite dish. I must be thinking of another continent.

Last edited:
I should clarify that the lady hanging from the bridge is doing so because she lost a bet involving a game she was playing.But then cam a spider and sat down beside her. There actually was a very large black spider on the bridge at one time. The black spider legs are not drawn in. The white lines are drawn in.

2cs730n.jpg

One of the following is a true statement:The spider belongs to an older man who guards the bridge.

The spider belongs to the lady

The spider belongs to NASA

The spider belongs to a manufacturing company that makes a product that is named, "The Spider." Am I getting on anyone nerves yet?

Edited 17 times for clarity, punctuation , spelling and just plain forgetfulness.

Last edited:
edward said:
Am I getting on anyone nerves yet?

Nope, but I'm kind of creeped out! :eek:

lisab said:
Nope, but I'm kind of creeped out! :eek:

So is my wife. She stepped into the room just as I was cropping the legs off of that bad boy.:devil:

But wait! act now and for just $19.9942 you can have your own genuine plastic replica of the bridge. This offer not available in Australia or Scotland.

2uxzshu.jpg

This just in from Fox News: A person was seen turning cartwheels in front:confused:or is it behind? the bridge.

b4atxj.jpg

BTW centuries ago the king of the country banned two sports on the area surrounding the bridge. I thought at first that the king may be a greenie, but then I read that he banned the sports because he wanted the men to spend more time working on their their archery skills.

edward said:
But wait! act now and for just $19.9942 you can have your own genuine plastic replica of the bridge. This offer not available in Australia or Scotland.

2uxzshu.jpg

Don't be ripped off - they are cheaper than that on ebay!

And the spider is playing one of the forbidden games.

Here is the itsy bitsy spider again with the product that the manufacturer makes.

dfamiw.jpg

The product is:

A radiation detector

A radar speed detector

A metal detector

A laser distance measuring device (I have one and it doesn't look like that)

none of the above

Jonathan Scott said:
Don't be ripped off - they are cheaper than that on ebay!

And the spider is playing one of the forbidden games.

I feel so clumsy trying to draw lines with the paint program it reminds me of grade school and using the blasted dip pen.

BTW that spider is holding a Taylor made spider on the bridge.

edward said:
Am I getting on anyone nerves yet?

Not yet. As usual, I'm learning a great deal of history.

Did you know Cromwell banned both sports and Christmas!

In London, soldiers were ordered to go round the streets and take, by force if necessary, food being cooked for a Christmas celebration. The smell of a goose being cooked could bring trouble.

Now I know the real reason for our second amendment.
And Eastwood's "Go ahead, [try and take my goose], make my day".

But Cromwell wasn't a king, and the Cromwell bridge doesn't look right.

Also:

wiki said:
Attempts to ban football games

Mass football in Europe
Mass or mob football was popular in medieval and early modern Europe. It involved an unlimited number of players and very few rules; the game often caused damage to people and property and was seen as a distraction from more desirable work which led to many attempts at banning the game in Britain and France.

A very fun read, as is the story of Cromwell. Aside from his name, I knew nothing about him.

OmCheeto said:
Not yet. As usual, I'm learning a great deal of history.

Did you know Cromwell banned both sports and Christmas!

Now I know the real reason for our second amendment.
And Eastwood's "Go ahead, [try and take my goose], make my day".

But Cromwell wasn't a king, and the Cromwell bridge doesn't look right.

Also:

A very fun read, as is the story of Cromwell. Aside from his name, I knew nothing about him.

That was a fun read. I didn't know anything about Cromwell either except for the name.

I was looking up parts for my weedeater yesterday. On the side bar of the Cromwell link there were pictures of everything I had clicked on at "Sears Parts Direct". We live in interesting times; oops I just remembered something about a Chinese curse being related to that expression. :eek:

The area around the bridge would have made a better landmark but I couldn't figure out how to hide a lot of green grass from Google. It definitely is historic especially in regards to the game that has been played their over the centuries.

29uy3pl.jpg

They certainly had a nice place to hang out.

Google is a strange beast. I snapped this from a Youtube video and uncle Google doesn't recognize it.

At last...The Bridge

28umeit.jpg

I already worked it out mostly from the clue about the banned games, but I don't have time to find a new landmark so I'm hoping someone else can work out what sport the spider is playing.

Jonathan Scott said:
I already worked it out mostly from the clue about the banned games, but I don't have time to find a new landmark so I'm hoping someone else can work out what sport the spider is playing.

I thought that you most likely had found it. It is so time consuming to find a landmark. I have just noticed that some Youtube screen clips will get past Google and there are a lot of UNESCO sites on Youtube.

A lot of tourists tend to stand in about the same spot to take pictures of a landmark. Then they end up on the internet. I think a computer video clip might work if the clip is made when the tourist's camera was at an odd angle to the landmark. Clips from some panoramic 360 degree pictures also sometimes work.

I do really enjoy the historical aspect of the landmarks.

Last edited: