Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, I got it. I could have got it without any text in that last image, because a visible advertisement narrowed it down to a specific region, and the mountains suggested which part of that region to investigate more closely. I found the first image which was originally very blue.

But I won't say the answer yet (a) because I still don't have another landmark and (b) to give others a chance.
City Center Mall
address: Near Kamal Pokhari Police Station, Pashupati Road, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal

I'm embarrassed to mention how many places I ended up looking at: Santa Monica Pier, Corvette Museum, and about 10 others, nowhere near Nepal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, I got it. I could have got it without any text in that last image, because a visible advertisement narrowed it down to a specific region, and the mountains suggested which part of that region to investigate more closely. I found the first image which was originally very blue.

But I won't say the answer yet (a) because I still don't have another landmark and (b) to give others a chance.

That was great work Jonathan I couldn't read any of the ads on the building except the one for Royal Stag. That was dumb of me, but then missing a detail is my specialty.:D I do know that the type of building + city center+ another word finds it.

Here is another portion of the map which should reveal the city.

2ymwyld.jpg

OmCheeto said:
City Center Mall
address: Near Kamal Pokhari Police Station, Pashupati Road, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal

lding not in the city center look more like this. I'm embarrassed to mention how many places I ended up looking at: Santa Monica Pier, Corvette Museum, and about 10 others, nowhere near Nepal.

OK so we don't need the other portion of the map. We are now looking for a landmark within that city. Most of the buildings around the landmark look much different.

I didn't even realize that they had movie theaters there. Good lordly what is this world coming to.

edward said:
That was great work Jonathan I couldn't read any of the ads on the building except the one for Royal Stag.
Yes, I looked up Royal Stag and found it was a whisky sold primarily in India and Nepal. (Some of the other ads were identifiable, such as Omega and Guy Laroche, but as they are international that didn't help much).

"City Center Mall" wasn't the answer?
:oldcry:

OmCheeto said:
"City Center Mall" wasn't the answer?
:oldcry:

Close enough, it is a movie theater complex called "Big Movies" in the City Center Mall. But the actual landmark is seven minutes away according to Google maps directions.

I have a feeling that that cinema complex is not locally owned.

Here is what the buildings in the landmark area look like:

fazed1.jpg

Google image lookup has improved. Sometimes it will even find a screen capture from a youtube video.

Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, I looked up Royal Stag and found it was a whisky sold primarily in India and Nepal. (Some of the other ads were identifiable, such as Omega and Guy Laroche, but as they are international that didn't help much).

You are right and I though that Royal Stag sounded international. My mother was right The devil is in the details. I should have Googled it and painted over it.

edward said:
But the actual landmark is seven minutes away according to Google maps directions.
You mean that the landmark is NOT what was in the original picture? I wasn't expecting that!

Jonathan Scott said:
You mean that the landmark is NOT what was in the original picture? I wasn't expecting that!
Post 279.

The buildings in the pictures are at the location from which we will travel a few miles to the actual landmark. I'll start with a rather incomplete map.

Post 286
a movie theater complex called "Big Movies" in the City Center Mall. But the actual landmark is seven minutes away according to Google maps directions.Sorry about that. Google was finding so many of the pictures of the actual landmark that I decided to take the road less travelled. :D

Last edited:
Secret maps from Google. The landmark is just beyond the dark green mark on the map (s).

300ba4m.jpg

Last edited:
Google gave conflicting versions of the shortest route.

dxo58p.jpg

Is it something one could ring?

Jonathan Scott said:
Is it something one could ring?

CORRECTION ::: there is a bell in a temple within the area. Google gives them both the same address. You have found it

It is an area of buildings surrounding or adjacent to another more noteworthy building. There are three of them in the Kathmandu valley. The one closest to those wonderful cinemas is the one that I am looking for. This one could be called a plaza.

Last edited:
I just edited the post above.

Actually, there seem to be bells and temples everywhere around there. I'm looking around the Basantapur Durbar Square area. There's an impressive neoclassical palace "Gaddi Baithak".

Jonathan Scott said:
Actually, there seem to be bells and temples everywhere around there. I'm looking around the Basantapur Durbar Square area. There's an impressive neoclassical palace "Gaddi Baithak".

That is interesting, especially how the neoclassical architecture differs from the surrounding buildings.

This all is a part of my landmark which was Dubar Square. You can post another if you have one or pass it on to OmCheeto, or anyone who has a landmark. If we are lucky OmCheeto has scanned some more old black and white photos that he can post.

Thanks for the interesting trip to Kathmandu, even though I was a bit thrown initially by having a "landmark" picture which wasn't actually the landmark!

I still don't have any good ideas for new landmarks at the moment. (Every now and then I have an idea, but when I search the forums I find I've already used it before)! Anyone else is free to have a go, but I'll keep trying to think of something.

Jonathan Scott said:
Thanks for the interesting trip to Kathmandu, even though I was a bit thrown initially by having a "landmark" picture which wasn't actually the landmark!

I still don't have any good ideas for new landmarks at the moment. (Every now and then I have an idea, but when I search the forums I find I've already used it before)! Anyone else is free to have a go, but I'll keep trying to think of something.

Sorry about that little run around to get to the real landmark. I couldn't find any pictures of the landmark that Google image search didn't recognize. I should have expressed more clearly the; "THIS IS NOT THE REAL LANDMARK" concept. I could have taken some of the real landmark pictures to the paint program and drawn some spiders on them. :D

Ok.

pf.wtlm.2014.12.20.1044.jpg

edward said:
Sorry about that little run around to get to the real landmark. I couldn't find any pictures of the landmark that Google image search didn't recognize. I should have expressed more clearly the; "THIS IS NOT THE REAL LANDMARK" concept. I could have taken some of the real landmark pictures to the paint program and drawn some spiders on them. :D

Ha ha! This is one reason I'm so slow with this new location. Everything of interest is readily recognizable.
But it's always fun looking for landmarks. It's the next best thing to traveling.

edward said:
That is interesting, especially how the neoclassical architecture differs from the surrounding buildings.

This all is a part of my landmark which was Dubar Square. You can post another if you have one or pass it on to OmCheeto, or anyone who has a landmark. If we are lucky OmCheeto has scanned some more old black and white photos that he can post.

I'm afraid that I was born a few years after my last landmark, and have used up pretty much all the locations I've been to.
But this new one is in the same vein.
It was inspired by a phone call from my sister last week.
On her trip to Germany next May, she's stopping off in Chichester England for a few days to do family genealogical research.

Though, this New landmark is nowhere near England.
According to the records I have, a couple of my relatives moved here in 1649.
Also, I'm only looking for the name of the town, as I don't have the family address, nor any family photos.
According to a landmark page devoted to the city, the oldest building still standing, wasn't built for another 75 years.
Here's a picture of it:
pf.wtlm.2014.12.21.2248.jpg

ps. I'm a bit embarrassed now by my first photo, but it was the most impressive thing in a 10 minute long video of still images of the town. It's just an apartment complex. :redface:

Sorry, but Google image search knows that apartment complex, including many other viewpoints.

Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, but Google image search knows that apartment complex, including many other viewpoints.

That is incredible from that little picture Google even includes a link for residents to sign in and pay their rent. It must be the Dormers. :D

Google is a weird beast. Here is a screen capture from a Google maps street view of the same building and Google images doesn't find it.

wqy9v9.jpg

Is this legal?? Can Google sue me?? Can we use this method??

Last edited:
Jonathan Scott said:
Drats!
I could have sworn I checked that.
hmmmm...
But looking at the timestamp, I probably didn't.

I'd been out with my buddies at the pub, only an hour earlier. (hic!)

edward said:
That is incredible from that little picture Google even includes a link for residents to sign in and pay their rent. It must be the Dormers. :D

Google is a weird beast. Here is a screen capture from a Google maps street view of the same building and Google images doesn't find it.
That's how I got my second image. I knew I'd done the google image search test on that one. It only came up with Christmas trees.
Is this legal?? Can Google sue me?? Can we use this method??
Yes, no, and, yes.
But don't quote me. And please, do not take my legal advice, as I'm not a lawyer.

Likes edward
Don't worry Om even if you were a lawyer...

Likes edward and OmCheeto
Here is a new one: It is the pointy building down the street and on the right.

240xe8n.jpg

The time travel thread made me think of this type of landmark. I think that this would possibly be the first building a person would visit after finding himself alone and naked in the early 19th century.

2i9ko69.jpg

edward said:
The time travel thread made me think of this type of landmark. I think that this would possibly be the first building a person would visit after finding himself alone and naked in the early 19th century.
I see what you mean - but not voluntarily!

Nice one - took a bit of research. I lived not far from there in around 1981-1983 and used to drive past the village on my way to a nearby major town.

I think there's a chance I may have the time to come up with a new landmark, so I'll state that the current one is the old village lock-up in Wheatley (which is between Aylesbury and Oxford).

Jonathan Scott said:
I think there's a chance I may have the time to come up with a new landmark, so I'll state that the current one is the old village lock-up in Wheatley (which is between Aylesbury and Oxford).

That is definitely it Jonathan. The odd thing about it was that it wasn't found by Google image search even with that miniature pyramid shape. I did clip it from Google maps street view.

This would have been my final picture:

2s8qrtj.jpg

OK, new one:
255qtkh.jpg

By the sight of it I would think it is arboretum in Trsteno, where "A Song of Ice and Fire" were shot.

Just a blind poke :)

Borek said:
By the sight of it I would think it is arboretum in Trsteno, where "A Song of Ice and Fire" were shot.

Just a blind poke :)

Well, I'll admit there are lots of trees around, but it's not that.

If you think you know the name of the landmark, a Google image search for the relevant name will find a picture sufficiently similar to confirm it.

From the other direction:
2zhijyw.jpg

Not far away, within the same location:
34sovg3.jpg