Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Google seems to have the same image for the outside of both. Perhaps one wasn't suitable, so they used the other as it is similar.

Now I've actually named the place, I guess I'd better find another landmark, but it's late in the day here so I'll do that tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, next one, unrelated to anything recent (but shouldn't be difficult):
bzc4p.jpg

Jonathan Scott said:
OK, next one, unrelated to anything recent (but shouldn't be difficult):
bzc4p.jpg

It took seconds to figure out what "it" is, but, apparently I don't know the proper American to British translation to plug into google for the "where".

What's the British term for amusement park? A Jolly park?

ps. The last landmark was very entertaining. I looked up "Irish Brawn", and decided you have very strange swine:

For the brawn
1 pig's head, ears removed and quartered
6 pig's trotters

You have six legged pigs?

And:
2. For the brawn: using a blowtorch, burn any excess hairs on the pig's head - especially around the snout.

Methinks that there are few people here in the colonies that could do this. We purchase only vine ripened swine from the market.

OmCheeto said:
It took seconds to figure out what "it" is, but, apparently I don't know the proper American to British translation to plug into google for the "where".

It's not really an amusement park (which is a perfectly good British term).

If you describe what you are seeing, you might find a picture of it, or the very amusing Youtube video of its predecessor.

Jonathan Scott said:
It's not really an amusement park (which is a perfectly good British term).

If you describe what you are seeing, you might find a picture of it, or the very amusing Youtube video of its predecessor.
I don't have a puzzle so I'll let someone else solve it but, I found the video. :smile::smile::smile:

Right wing contains the most important clue, but it can be difficult to read if you don't know what it is about. (And no, I don't have to google to know what it is, I have seen the video on tv).

I think a lot of people know what it is, but I'm also looking for WHERE it is. Here's another picture from the same site:

s2zkmg.jpg

Ah ha! (maybe). :-p

The World of Top Gear Exhibition at Beaulieu National Motor Museum

Address: John Montagu Bldg, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, Hampshire SO42 7ZN, United Kingdom
Phone:+44 1590 612345
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm

The shuttle looking thing is of course the Robin Reliant Shuttle.

Of which, I've just finished watching the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM​

Excellent work!

I played the video game yesterday. I could play it all day.

Top Gear Rocket Robin Game

OmCheeto said:
Ah ha! (maybe). :-p

The World of Top Gear Exhibition at Beaulieu National Motor Museum

The shuttle looking thing is of course the Robin Reliant Shuttle.

Absolutely right. My son is a Top Gear addict and loves visiting that exhibition. The other vehicle I showed is the Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang car, which is in the main museum, as viewed from the monorail which runs through it.

Your turn.

Jonathan Scott said:
Absolutely right. My son is a Top Gear addict and loves visiting that exhibition. The other vehicle I showed is the Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang car, which is in the main museum, as viewed from the monorail which runs through it.

Your turn.

Yay!

And after watching the video, I can see why your son is an addict.

Ok then. I'm going back to lisab's "Famous Silesians" theme, as, being part Silesian, and having had a PF title once, I decided I am/was somewhat of a famous Silesian myself.

I couldn't find this famous person's birth house, so I plopped the Google Earth "street view" guy onto the city's marker, and saw this:

pf.wtlm.2014.08.27.1016.jpg

I'm just after the city's name here, of course.

Strzyżenie psów :smile:

Borek said:
Strzyżenie psów :smile:

You can read that?! I spent hours trying to get a closer look, but could never make out what it said. I was hoping I could fool you.

Wait a minute. I read "Wzxyj'zblah Woblah".

hmmmm...

And right underneath that it says "0 517 962 127", as I'm sure Borek can confirm.

And you had difficulty working out where he was Born, eh?

Ah ha!

It was the hound. :smile:

pf.wtlm.2014.09.01.1052.dr.arasz.jpg

Jonathan Scott said:

I'm sure I would have put that clue in there, eventually. :smile:

I obviously know the town but would have to cut and paste its name because I don't have one of the letters on my keyboard. However, I'd prefer someone else to have a go.

Jonathan Scott said:
I obviously know the town but would have to cut and paste its name because I don't have one of the letters on my keyboard. However, I'd prefer someone else to have a go.

I would post the following:

pf.wtlm.2014.09.01.1152.jpg

but it's a bit passé now.

And it appears to change every year.

Hippies are stupid.

Problem is, this particular city has at least 6 different names in different languages, no idea which one to post.

OmCheeto said:

I'm going to disseminate this widely, as if it were true -- and soon it will be.

Borek said:
Problem is, this particular city has at least 6 different names in different languages, no idea which one to post.
I would have accepted any of them. It is now called Wrocław.
Jonathan Scott said:
Ok. I did. The second image is a new landmark.
Jonathan Scott said:
I considered yours to be an adequate answer: Max Born

lisab said:
I'm going to disseminate this widely, as if it were true -- and soon it will be.

As long as you don't mention it was my fault. :-p

OmCheeto said:
I would have accepted any of them. It is now called Wrocław.

Wrocław AKA Wratislavia AKA Vratislavia AKA Budorgis AKA Breslau AKA Brassel AKA Vratislav AKA Boroszló.

OmCheeto said:
Ok. I did. The second image is a new landmark.

Let me guess without even googling - Black Rock Desert?

Borek said:
Wrocław AKA Wratislavia AKA Vratislavia AKA Budorgis AKA Breslau AKA Brassel AKA Vratislav AKA Boroszló.

You are right it even has Wikipedia confused.

List of people from Wrocław - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Wrocław
This list includes people who were born in or lived in Wrocław after 1945. For a list of famous residents before 1945, see List of notable people from Breslau.

Borek said:

That sounds good to me.

Borek said:
Someone once accused me of being a Bohemian. I always denied it. But looking at Wrocław's history:

wiki said:
Historical affiliations
Duchy of Bohemia early 900s-990
Kingdom of Poland 990-1038
Duchy of Bohemia 1038-1054
Kingdom of Poland 1054-1202
Duchy of Silesia 1202-1335
Kingdom of Bohemia 1335–1526
Habsburg Monarchy 1526-1742
Kingdom of Prussia 1742-1871
German Empire 1871-1918
Weimar Germany 1918-1933
Nazi Germany 1933-1945
People's Republic of Poland 1945-1989
Republic of Poland 1989–present

Maybe I am.

Borek said:

Correct! The image is the main entrance to Burning Man. If one uses Google Earth and views historical imagery, the center of Black Rock City has been moving.

edward said:
The Black Rock desert has a rare man made geyser. I presume that a man made geyser would be rare.:confused:

http://www.allaroundnevada.com/fly-geyser/

I hadn't heard of that one. I only heard about the one that, if you jump in, it leaves you, um, not so "rare", as in, lightly cooked.

Double Hot Springs
General Description: Two extremely hot and deep death pits that flow through pvc pipes to a cattle trough with a view of the Black Rock Desert
According to signs the source temperature is about 180 deg F. Many signs warn of the hot water because in the early 2000's a woman's dog jumped in the water and she jumped in after it and they both died. So be very careful of the sources.

Poor dog. :frown: :cry:

Three pictures from the same place I visited this year in Poland:

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9606.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

I probably spent about 10 hours over the last week watching the live and archived videos from Burning Man. I first described it as like watching a fish tank. Later, I decided it was like watching an ant colony. Later, I decided it was more like watching ants on LSD in Las Vegas.

I went to my former place of employment yesterday, as it was Farmers Market day, and ran into the lady I'd been conversing with about going. She said she went this year. She looked completely unsinged. I will have to go next year.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-15086/30-amazing-photos-that-will-make-you-wish-you-were-at-burning-man-2014.html

I have a strange feeling that this landmark is some kind of museum in Wrocław.:devil:

MUZEUM - KASZUBSKI PARK ETNOGRAFICZNY

The second image, being the, um, fish taco?

hmmm... Apparently a chalupa in Poland is a shack.

CHAŁUPA RYBACKA = Shack Fishing

per Google Earth:
Kaszubski Park Etnograficzny I am Gulgowskich Wdzydze
Wdzydze Kiszewskie, 83-406 Wąglikowice, Poland ‎
+48 58 686 11 30 ‎
muzeum-wdzydze.gda.pl
4.5/5 stars_____12 reviews

I did this the old fashioned way and lost fair and square. LOL I have the entire list of open air museums in Poland. I started at top and planned to go through all of them, that is until I stopped for dinner.

Unfortunately they are listed in alphabetical order and this one in the link below is listed under the city Wdzydze ,Kiszewskie.

http://openairmuseum.pl/lista-skansenow

This bit from wiki makes it a very special place.

Wdzydze Kiszewskie is famous for its open-air museum, which is the oldest one in Poland. Kaszubski Park Etnograficzny is based on an old village of Kashubian fishermen. It was founded in 1906 by Theodora und Isidor Gulgowski, after all inhabiting families had moved to other places in order to escape poverty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wdzydze_Kiszewskie