How does output Voltage of an electric guitar work?

Baluncore said:
Distortion is non-linear. The old frequencies are still there, but more frequencies appear as harmonics of the inputs, plus sum and difference frequencies.

Linear means that the output follows the input, with a scale factor only.
Linear means there is no distortion and no new frequency terms created.
So it means that if Output is 0.6V then Input is "0.6" Wave vibration amplitude as I understand it cannot be "1.2" or any other value it must be "0.6" because it follows the output value in voltage. Although you've said about scale factor so.

About distortion good to know that old frequencies are still there, good to know.

PS.
Because the pickup does not reduce the amplitude of the input so there is no scale factor ? It must be 0.6V output = "0.6" Wave vibration input ????? Because when I showed the orange one with scaled version of the black signal or rather reduced. Then it was incorrect.

Did I understand it correctly ? Because It cannot be reduced as I know and that's how I interpreted the scale factor. Or rather pickups has the same scale factor or it changes everytime and it is not that easy as I thought. Dunno. I just gave an arbitrary example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@Xenon02 concerning your diagram in post #69. What is that supposed to mean? You have sound waves going into the mic, sound waves coming out of the speaker, and electrical signals in between. So what? Where is the voltage on the input as well as the output of the transducers? There is none.
-
You need to do as I said setting up an experiment with a guitar. View the signals in a spectral display using audacity.

Xenon02 said:
It must be 0.6V output = "0.6" Wave vibration input ?????
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.
– Leo Tolstoy. 1894.

Averagesupernova said:
@Xenon02 concerning your diagram in post #69. What is that supposed to mean? You have sound waves going into the mic, sound waves coming out of the speaker, and electrical signals in between. So what? Where is the voltage on the input as well as the output of the transducers? There is none.
-
You need to do as I said setting up an experiment with a guitar. View the signals in a spectral display using audacity.

Dunno.

I imagined it like that :

1721236881623.png

The whole signal is scaled, like you have the high input and it's is just scaled by the pickup. The shape and everything is the same just scaled down by the pickup.

The scale factor is unknown if it's random or what but that's how I can somehow logically understand how the input is scaled in the output.

Baluncore said:
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.
– Leo Tolstoy. 1894.
Again I apologize for me ;> If what I said is somehow correct then there is only one thing and I am done ... that's how lineary I see it in the picture or rather how the pickup scales the input if it indeed scales. It scales the final result of the input so.

Xenon02 said:
. I'm a bit of a perfectionist
Which bit? Is it the bit that uses the wrong terminology? The effect that you are looking at is not 'interference'; it simple vector addition of signals at one location. To a first approximation, the output is the simple addition of the values of each of the signals involved.

To be honest, though. Perfect linearity of the pickup would depend on the magnetic field being uniform all over the flux gap so that it would be the same for all displacements of the string. Also, induced emf would probably be proportional to the string velocity in some pickups (as with some phono cartridges). I believe that the induced emf in the coil could be due to the change in the magnetic reluctance path as the string changes position. But now we're further down that rabbit hole and wasting quite a lot of our time down there. ;-)

First things first; learn about amplifiers first (and how to build them) .Learn about signal level handling and the problems of linearising amplifiers. There are a million and one IC audio amplifiers for small signals. Plenty of fun to be had there without bothering about the guitar pickup part of the exercise.

Xenon02 said:
Dunno.

I imagined it like that :
Oh you can't be serious. Something is the way you think it is because you imagined it that way?