Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
lisab said:
There are lots of ideas online to prevent birds from flying into windows. Hang ribbons in front of the window (a bit unsightly), or hang sheer curtains (can be beautiful!).

It is pretty easy if you just stand by the window with a shotgun. If you see one coming at you, BOOM!

Physics news on Phys.org
I felt sad when I went to visit Jack only to find that he passed away. It happened quick.. They had to put him down cause he was feeling a lot of pain and couldn't walk on his right leg. As sad as I felt for not having the chance to be with him one more time after I knew about his cancer diagnosis, I feel calmed that he didn't have to suffer a lot. I remember him licking my hand for about ten minutes the last time I saw him, he usually does it for a couple of times then sits next to me. Probably he knew I won't see him again, probably he knew it was the last goodbye..

Rip Jack.

drizzle said:
I felt sad when I went to visit Jack only to find that he passed away. It happened quick.. They had to put him down cause he was feeling a lot of pain and couldn't walk on his right leg. As sad as I felt for not having the chance to be with him one more time after I knew about his cancer diagnosis, I feel calmed that he didn't have to suffer a lot. I remember him licking my hand for about ten minutes the last time I saw him, he usually does it for a couple of times then sits next to me. Probably he knew I won't see him again, probably he knew it was the last goodbye..

Rip Jack.
Ah goddamn :s I only had 1 dog in my life, for about 7 years until he too got fatally ill and had to be put down. After him I turned into a cat person.

We don't say r.i.p in estonia, we say that he has gone to better hunting grounds :)

You sure that you know how to operate that?

Here are some stories this week that left me scratching my head.

Puppy drives car into pond

Landing plane barely misses hitting sunbather

35f4e800-eb3a-11e3-9d56-bde46ae4dd1a_airplane-land.gif

Semi nearly hits girl boarding a school bus - while passing on the right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VbRtnzzK34

Whoa, good thing that sunbather didn't look up!

Hope that semi driver is in jail.

I've always been annoyed about this..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/577899_510471748973841_1379828334_n.jpg

Last edited:
drizzle said:

Rip Jack.
Oh NO! Sorry I missed this post. So sad. So sorry drizzle. :cry:

R.I.P Jack!

Nikitin said:
I've always been annoyed about this..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/577899_510471748973841_1379828334_n.jpg

On the other hand,

That renowned American writer/philosopher Emerson :

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall.

I curse metric bolts, Newtons, lead-free solder, and headlight dimmer on the turn signal not the floor. Europe go home. :biggrin::biggrin:

jim hardy said:
On the other hand,

That renowned American writer/philosopher Emerson :

I curse metric bolts, Newtons, lead-free solder, and headlight dimmer on the turn signal not the floor. Europe go home. :biggrin::biggrin:

They make solder without lead? :confused:

Should I hold onto my stash?

hmmm... Do they also have lead free fishing weights?

ps. I seem to remember floor mounted headlight dimmer switches. Though the frustration of flashing my high-beams at people, while turning, seems to have erased from my memory, which vehicle(s) that were equipped with such devices.

pps. for the kids:

pf.hbfs.2014.06.05.1303.jpg

old Cathy

ppps. You were correct. I am freakin' enjoying the hell out of my retirement. :biggrin:

OmCheeto said:

lme-warehouse-lead-5y.gif

jim hardy said:
headlight dimmer on the turn signal not the floor.

I remember those (the foot-switch button thing)! I almost forgot about them. :smile:

OmCheeto said:

Pretty much all manufactured [consumer] electronics are lead-free these days. The transition happened over the last decade or so.

[Edit: added the "consumer" qualifier.]

Lead-tin solder is still available for hobbyists though.

Lead-free solder flows at a higher temperature, but it's not too terribly bad if you have a temperature controlled iron [Edit: or oven].

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I remember those (the foot-switch button thing)! I almost forgot about them. :smile:

Pretty much all manufactured electronics are lead-free these days. The transition happened over the last decade or so.

Lead-tin solder is still available for hobbyists though.

Lead-free solder flows at a higher temperature, but it's not too terribly bad if you have a temperature controlled iron [Edit: or oven].

My first job out of high school was assembling prototype circuits. I'll never forget the smell of burning rosin. Smelled slightly like cooking blueberries, to me.

They make solder without lead?

Yes it's hard to melt, doesn't want to flow, and is preposterously expensive.
Keep your old stash and look for more in old hardware stores, yard sales and flea markets.

Lead free also has a nasty trait of growing tiny "whiskers" that short circuit things electronic and give unpredictable, unrepeatable failures. For that reason it is not good for really important products like military, avionics and aerospace. NASA and European Space Agency require a little bit of lead in their solder.

http://nepp.nasa.gov/Whisker/background/index.htm
What are Tin Whiskers?

Tin whiskers are electrically conductive, crystalline structures of tin that sometimes grow from surfaces where tin (especially electroplated tin) is used as a final finish. Tin whiskers have been observed to grow to lengths of several millimeters (mm) and in rare instances to lengths in excess of 10 mm. Numerous electronic system failures have been attributed to short circuits caused by tin whiskers that bridge closely-spaced circuit elements maintained at different electrical potentials.

2004april-hot-dip-limits.jpg

The top of this wire is tinned. The part with no whiskers has a thin coat of lead bearing solder.

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

more than anyone wants to know about solder:
http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-kostic-Pb-free.pdf

old jim

Tin Whiskers. Yet another superb name for a punk rock band.

Two EE's in St Paul have grabbed the name for their brewery...
featuring "Short Circuit Stout"

6YHkE2Gl.jpg

i wish them luck.

jim hardy said:

i wish them luck.

You and me, both!

jim hardy said:
The robot in the picture looks a bit like Calculon from Futurama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G1gyIquFNA

Last edited:
Love is something when you meet someone as messed up as you are and you know it right away :D

lendav_rott said:
Love is something when you meet someone as messed up as you are and you know it right away :D

If I met somebody as crazy as me I would marry them instantly.

Oh wait, I did!

Was going through pictures on my phone the other day and found this.

Is it crazy that this is the kind of stuff that makes me fall in love with my wife more?

Probably.

Attachments

• Wacky%20sweety[1].jpg
    Wacky%20sweety[1].jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 386
Nuclei makes me all googlei eyed

lendav_rott said:
Is that so?
[PLAIN said:
http://lolsnaps.com/upload_pic/WalkingvsStalking-59824.jpg]Stalking[/PLAIN] is when two people go for a long romantic walk together, but only one of them knows about it.
XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together, but only one of them knows about it.

Melancholy love songs sure got more sinister between 1963 and 1983...

'63:
(Mills Brothers)

'83:
(Police)

Last edited by a moderator:
dkotschessaa said:
If I met somebody as crazy as me I would marry them instantly.

Oh wait, I did!

Was going through pictures on my phone the other day and found this.

Is it crazy that this is the kind of stuff that makes me fall in love with my wife more?

Probably.

:smile: Love that pic!

lisab said:
:smile: Love that pic!
Did you mean: picture

I love this weather, 2 days ago 15 C, yesterday 28 C, today 12 C, tomorrow, probably 30 C

Psinter said:
Did you mean: picture

Yes I did - thank you, Psinter, for reminding me we don't use text speak here :redface:!

lendav_rott said:
I love this weather, 2 days ago 15 C, yesterday 28 C, today 12 C, tomorrow, probably 30 C

On average, it's quite pleasant!

lisab said:
Yes I did - thank you, Psinter, for reminding me we don't use text speak here :redface:!
:biggrin:

Steps:

1. Wrap pillow around the back of your head. Make sure your ears are covered and the whole front of face is not blocked by it.
  2. Fasten with a belt around the forehead area, but not so strong as to block blood flow.
  3. Sleep in peace.

It also helps to calm pulsating headaches if you fasten it pretty tight. :cool: In fact you don't need the pillow for this one. The belt alone around your forehead will do.

Disclaimer: Not for kids. Use common sense and let some space for your nose and mouth to breath. Also don't sleep face down or use it if you think you may move and end up face down and have heavy sleep. (-.-) It's your fault (the reader), not mine if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but apparently Physics Forums missed me.

Welcome back, FreeMitya. :)

Yesterday I had an idea for a new fun thread. Today, I can't remember the idea. Maybe the idea wasn't very good. If anyone knows what the idea was, please PM me.

You are getting old :(

lendav_rott said:
You are getting old :(

You make it sound like growing older is a bad thing. In a sense, I disagree; hell, the older the better. Part of me strives to get older every moment of being.

Sure, there are the aches and pains. But as it happens, that's nothing new.

Last edited:
Brats are the worst. Nothing like bratwurst. They are the best. The fancy ones are even better. Hot off the grill, wrapped in a warm tortilla or bun, and into my tummy :D

The hilarious level rises when my teeth sink into the bratwurst and hot juice squirts out all over the sky (hopefully!). I have no idea why, it just makes earthquakes of laugher erupt from my belly.

I'm with Collin on getting old. My spin is, fill me with wisdom to let me grow happy in my old age, so I may share this happiness with others. I want to be a happy grandfather or old guy and not some grumpy curmudgeon.

New family tradition: treasure maps leading to birthday presents. This is going to get pretty elaborate over the years. The moral of the story is, my son loves the maps I make and the presents I give him.