Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
Borg said:
Good to see you again Char. Going to stick around a while? Your last post was almost a year and a half ago.

I plan on it, at the least. Though I'm not sure how much I'll stray outside of the PF Lounge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
I plan on it, at the least. Though I'm not sure how much I'll stray outside of the PF Lounge.
Awesome. Evo's still going to kill you though for being gone so long.

Borg said:
Awesome. Evo's still going to kill you though for being gone so long.

There is no death, there is only the Force.

Char. Limit said:
:-p

Char. Limit said:

I assumed you had finally reached your Char. Limit.

dkotschessaa said:
I assumed you had finally reached your Char. Limit.
There may be life beyond the null character (link for those who don't know the lingo). When you get close to the null character, you may catch a NNE exception (Near Null Experience). This should not be taken as any evidence of the existence of valid data beyond the string. If there is a string heaven, an strcmp will be performed against the Book of Life of Strings. If the strcmp return value is positive, the string will go into heaven with a const declaration, otherwise there will be a delete performed on it. Things are however very different if you follow a reincarnation-oriented design; in this case, there will simply be a strcpy performed, and the string will start a new life in a completely new character buffer. (non programmers, please forgive me, I have been programming a lot lately, that's why I'm rambling :-p)

CHAR! I'm going to kill you! :devil:

Welcome back! I was just remembering the great chat music the other day.

What've you been up to?

Char. Limit said:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions, ok, maybe a dozen or two, PF voices suddenly cried out for joy, and were suddenly atwitter. I fear something wonderful has happened.

Welcome back, Char. :smile:

Evo said:
CHAR! I'm going to kill you! :devil:

Welcome back! I was just remembering the great chat music the other day.

What've you been up to?

At the moment I'm trying to figure out this PF app, which I'm glad exists by the way, to make sure that you guys will never be free of me. Progress is going well.

I assume it works at 2G speeds as well? Just checking.

OmCheeto said:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions, ok, maybe a dozen or two, PF voices suddenly cried out for joy, and were suddenly atwitter. I fear something wonderful has happened.

Welcome back, Char. :smile:

My favorite thing about PF is the warm, exceedingly warm reception I can receive despite being gone for 19 moons. Or 18 months for the boring types. Thank you all so much, it makes me glad to show up here again.

Evo, Borg, Borek, Om, collins and dkots... The welcome is extremely welcome. I thank you for it.

Char, you're back :smile:! Nice to see you!

We have 24/7 chat now, char! Join us if you're available!

Yesterday, I got stuck. In a car wash.

Sigh.

It's a long, pathetic story. Short version: I ended up having to drive home with foam all over my car. By the time I got home, it was dried of course (it was a hot day). Now I have spots on my car.

The employee/troll at the car wash was no help.

Has anyone ever written a flaming review online, like on Yelp?

lisab said:
Yesterday, I got stuck. In a car wash.

Sigh.

It's a long, pathetic story. Short version: I ended up having to drive home with foam all over my car. By the time I got home, it was dried of course (it was a hot day). Now I have spots on my car.

The employee/troll at the car wash was no help.

Has anyone ever written a flaming review online, like on Yelp?
No, but you should.

Boo!

Our little rebel.

Attachments

• 1405130110047.jpg
    1405130110047.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 375
In the last couple days, we've had a dead-thing stench blowing around our house. Hard to say where it's coming from. At this time of year the grass is tall (a meter or more), and the wind has been very quiet.

We live off a rural road. The speed limit is 65 km/hr (40 mi/hr) but most people drive at least 25% over the limit. Like so much of rural America, we have so, so, so many deer here - I'm sure what we're smelling is a deer that was hit by a car, and wondered off the road to die.

So, let's assume this thing is a deer. Deer here are about 70 kg (150 lbs). It's over 30 C these days (over 90 F).

In your experience, how long will this stink?

You don't have a dog to find it?

Holy dear god, is this what it feels like to be drunk?

thankz said:
a random image of a fish ;P

Note to self: don't let the fish play with the paper shredder again.

I used to have one of those, the bristle nose is a beautiful catfish imo.

Welcome back char

My microwave suddenly started beeping and flashing an SE error. Unplugging it and pressing various buttons did nothing for it. It looked like I would have to get a new one. Then, I thought of my friend Google. A short video, 10 minutes of cleaning some contacts and my microwave was working again. Thank you internet. :biggrin:

Amen, Borg

Washing machine did same thing, the error code decoded to "slow drain"

a video showed me what the drain pump looks like. Sure enough i found an old rusty bolt, a bobby pin, fragments from a ball point pen, some electronic parts from my pocket-drek in it, and a a sock that had wrapped around the impeller. I got quite a lot of water on the laundry room floor but figured out how to avoid that next time.
Running fine again .

If i learn something every day, might know something some day.

jim hardy said:

Nah, we learn all our lives only to die stupid.

jim hardy said:
I learned something new today. I was in a bakery and something looked out of context from where I'm used to seeing it. Then I realized what it was. :-p

Borek.jpg

Oh Borek, you're YUMMY!

My wife posted on Facebook that I was like a cross between Einstein, superman, and Wolverine.

Well technically, it was me posting from her phone. But she didn't delete it afterwards!

dkotschessaa said:
My wife posted on Facebook that I was like a cross between Einstein, superman, and Wolverine.

Well technically, it was me posting from her phone. But she didn't delete it afterwards!
:-p

Fresh, Nebraska corn on the cob.

hello hello hello. Nice rainbow.

collinsmark said:
Fresh, Nebraska corn on the cob.

Can you tell me a random fact about Nebraska? I think it is the most mysterious state, and I know nothing about it.

dkotschessaa said:
Can you tell me a random fact about Nebraska? I think it is the most mysterious state, and I know nothing about it.

Loren Eisely's birthplace.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0394701577/?tag=pfamazon01-20

“...on the other hand the machine does not bleed, ache, hang for hours in the empty sky in a torment of hope to learn the fate of another machine, nor does it cry out with joy nor dance in the air with the fierce passion of a bird.”
― Loren Eiseley, The Immense Journey: An Imaginative Naturalist Explores the Mysteries of Man and Nature

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time you drive across, take scenic route through the Sandhills on Route 2 , from Grand Island to Alliance.