Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
DennisN said:
I wonder how a potato and onion smoothie would taste? Yummy or mummy?

Probably not bad if they were cooked first.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about apple and glazed onion?

No onions yet, but we started out with a semi reasonable green smoothie recommended by a freind:

2 bananas
an avocado
a few leaves of kale
misc. berries
ginger (optional)

We wanted to work more papaya in our diet, as it tends to be good for acidity and such. So it turned into

some papaya
1 banana
an avocado
misc. berries
some kale
ginger

But the other day we realized we had some broccoli florets that needed to be used. So, what the hell:

some papaya
1 banana
an avocado
misc. berries
a little less kale
a few broccoli florets
ginger

That was a bit of a stretch. The broccoli was definitely noticeable, texturewise, even with our magic super bullet thingy.

Probably will go back to the 2nd one.

lisab said:
I foresee a swarm of new roommates in your house: Drosophila melanogaster.

Be specially careful with the melanogangster ones: Drosophila gone bad.

WWGD said:
Be specially careful with the melanogangster ones: Drosophila gone bad.

:smile:

dkotschessaa said:
No onions yet, but we started out with a semi reasonable green smoothie recommended by a freind:

2 bananas
an avocado
a few leaves of kale
misc. berries
ginger (optional)

We wanted to work more papaya in our diet, as it tends to be good for acidity and such. So it turned into

some papaya
1 banana
an avocado
misc. berries
some kale
ginger

But the other day we realized we had some broccoli florets that needed to be used. So, what the hell:

some papaya
1 banana
an avocado
misc. berries
a little less kale
a few broccoli florets
ginger

That was a bit of a stretch. The broccoli was definitely noticeable, texturewise, even with our magic super bullet thingy.

Probably will go back to the 2nd one.

Yeah, broccoli seems one veggie too far. Kale, too, is pushing it. In all fairness to broccoli and kale, I love them like :!) - I just don't think they'd be good in a smoothie.

How do you use the ginger, just sliced fresh?

I've never had a smoothie. Other than maybe a sip from one my daughter bought at the Juice Stop.

dlgoff said:
I've never had a smoothie. Other than maybe a sip from one my daughter bought at the Juice Stop.

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of smoothies. Many people at my work drink them regularly and rave about them.

But I like to chew my food. Guess I'm funny that way :biggrin:.

Smoothies aren't as good for you as chewing the food. Chewing adds very important saliva which is critical to digestion. An occasional smoothie may not hurt you, but they should not be consumed on a regular basis.

Saliva contains the enzyme amylase that breaks some starches down into maltose and dextrin.
Thus, digestion of food occurs within the mouth, even before food reaches the stomach.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/s/saliva.htm

Chewing relaxes the lower stomach muscle

Chewing is directly connected with the movement of food through your digestive tract, and, in particular, with the movement of food from your stomach to your small intestine. At the lower end of your stomach, there is a muscle called the pylorus. This muscle must relax in order for food to leave your stomach and pass into your small intestine. Sufficient saliva from optimal chewing helps relax the pylorus, and, in this way, helps your food move through your digestive tract in healthy fashion.

Chewing triggers the rest of the digestive process

Yet, the contribution of chewing to good digestion does not even stop there. The process of chewing also activates signaling messages to the rest of the gastrointestinal system that trigger it to begin the entire digestive process. This is because when chewing is a well-paced, thorough process, it can actually be said to belong to the "cephalic stage of digestion," the phase in which you first see, smell, and taste your food. The length of time spent chewing the food is related to the length of the cephalic stage of digestion since with more extensive chewing, the longer the food gets to be seen, tasted, and smelled. Cephalic phase responses have been extensively analyzed in the research literature. The release of small messaging molecules that are critical for digestion—such as cholecystokinin, somatostatin, and neurotensin—have been found to increase by over 50% just by the mere sight and smell of food. Additionally, research has shown how chewing, as well as the activation of taste receptors in the mouth, can prompt the nervous system to relay information to the gastrointestinal system to optimize the process of digestion. For example, stimulation of the taste receptors can signal the stomach lining to produce hydrochloric acid that helps in the breakdown of protein. Additionally, chewing signals the pancreas to prepare to secrete enzymes and bicarbonate into the lumen of the small intestines.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=337

The smoothie fad is just that, a fad. IMO, fads are bad. The people that make these blenders only want your money, they don't care that it's bad for your health.

Last edited:
lisab said:
I must admit, I'm not a big fan of smoothies. Many people at my work drink them regularly and rave about them.

But I like to chew my food. Guess I'm funny that way :biggrin:.
I was going to say, "If nature intended fruit to me mixed, it would have evolved a smoothie tree." Evidently that would be speculating. :confused:

fruit_salad_zps7f22424e.jpg

Likes 1 person
dlgoff said:
I was going to say, "If nature intended fruit to me mixed, it would have evolved a smoothie tree." Evidently that would be speculating. :confused:

Speak of the devil. I just saw your tree yesterday on Facebook:

40-fruits.jpg

[/PLAIN]
This tree produces 40 different types of fruit

There's a 5 minute TEDx video at the bottom of the above link where the creator describes the process and project.

ps. I don't think I've ever had a smoothie. But I did just finish off 1/4 of a watermelon. I feel like I'm going to burst.

Last edited by a moderator:
dkotschessaa said:
Should we be eating insects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM8s1ch5TRw

Probably yes.

There are times when no amount of logic and reasoning will overcome my cultural conditioning. And I'm ok with that.

I guess you are not a fan of Andrew Zimern:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods

WWGD said:
I guess you are not a fan of Andrew Zimern:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods

Big fan. Not the same as eating what he eats.

Swallows are great birds, no noise and they perform a show over the pool every day.
They glide in, drink some or pick up an insect and continue. Barely splashing the water now they've got some practice.
Haven't seen other birds do that, one tried but died a few years ago.

dkotschessaa said:
Big fan. Not the same as eating what he eats.

I was being a bit loose with language; just meant you would not follow up on his steps. I think it is an interesting show too , but will not be eating fried insects any time soon .

dkotschessaa said:
You don't say...
I would be less happy in a small town with little to do (not a false dichotomy, just referring to the fact that most happier towns in the list were kind of small ). But I guess most of those who feel that way in those towns, at least the younger ones, have left. Plenty of good things tho, 24-7, largely reliable, public transportation (no need to drive to get some milk, even when store is 1/2 mile away, because there is a maze of high-traffic roads between you and the store), walking is possible and safe almost anywhere, streets with sidewalks, and with people , not just cars, plenty of variety within easy reach-- even with a restricted budget. Academically, there are 50+ universities with open conferences in just-about any topic .I would mention the obvious 'counter' issue of cost-of-living , but this was controlled-for in the study.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I would be less happy in a small town with little to do (not a false dichotomy, just referring to the fact that most happier towns in the list were kind of small ). But I guess most of those who feel that way in those towns, at least the younger ones, have left. Plenty of good things tho, 24-7, largely reliable, public transportation (no need to drive to get some milk, even when store is 1/2 mile away, because there is a maze of high-traffic roads between you and the store), walking is possible and safe almost anywhere, streets with sidewalks, and with people , not just cars, plenty of variety within easy reach-- even with a restricted budget. I would mention the obvious issue of cost-of-living , but this was controlled-for in the study.

New York has a lot of really cool stuff.

Unfortunately all that cool stuff is in New York.

dkotschessaa said:
New York has a lot of really cool stuff.

Unfortunately all that cool stuff is in New York.

Hey, I thought after 9/11 everyone was supposed to pretend to like NYC.

WWGD said:
Hey, I thought after 9/11 everyone was supposed to pretend to like NYC.

I didn't get the memo!

I actually met an anti-vaxxer for the first time on the internet. They were like mythical creatures to me - I never met one. I found myself actually shaking with rage, and am not proud of how I behaved in the conversation. Really lost my cool.

dkotschessaa said:
I didn't get the memo!

The comment comes from the way many, largely in the bible belt ,would refer to (pre 9/11) NY, with its largely secular population, as the heathen capital of the US, only to backpedal on their comments after the attacks. Still , there is an interesting book on the personality of cities that claims that ambition and search for success are traits that largely shape/define New York City ;maybe that is what many dislike. N.Y people referring to a good chunk of the US as "flyover country" does not help either.

WWGD said:
The comment comes from the way many, largely in the bible belt ,would refer to (pre 9/11) NY, with its largely secular population, as the heathen capital of the US, only to backpedal on their comments after the attacks. Still , there is an interesting book on the personality of cities that claims that ambition and search for success are traits that largely shape/define New York City ;maybe that is what many dislike. N.Y people referring to a good chunk of the US as "flyover country" does not help either.

It's just too many people and things in one little place, resulting in a frantic pace, hot tempers, and a generally toxic psychological atmosphere. Some people claim to like it there, but I have always thought it was the same kind of mentality of someone clinging to an abusive relationship.

It also has the most awesome places in the world one can go to (The math museum! I have to go!). I just wish those places were somewhere else, but their existence is probably dependent on being located in a place with lots of people. (I don't see a math museum thriving in Tampa...)

-Dave K

maybe that is what many dislike. N.Y people referring to a good chunk of the US as "flyover country" does not help either.
Being basically a small-town southerner I was surprised by my first visit to New York.

With seven millions of people in so few square miles the crowding was just astounding. There's no way you can make eye contact, nod and say "Howdy" to everybody you walk past, let alone give them a generous 'space' on the sidewalk like you do where i came from.
At first brush this gives one the impression of an impersonal almost confrontational culture.
After trying to 'howdy' my first thousand or so New Yorkers i figured out the obvious - you can't politely acknowledge everyone for there's just too many of them. I felt as out of place that poor cowboy in "Bus Stop".

Well, i soon found myself needing directions so pulled out my NYC map and stopped a fellow i'd just picked at random out of the crowd. He looked busy, but everybody there looks busy and intent on getting where they're going.
What an unexpected surprise: the fellow stopped, immediately focusing on me and my map. I could sense his intensity as i asked the whereabouts of my destination. He gave me direct and clear directions complete with arm waving gestures, then went over them on my map - in summary gave me his undivided and focused attention for about a minute. He then asked where was i from and wished me a nice visit .
"Well" , i thought. " New Yorkers are no less friendly than Southerners they're just preoccupied. I guess it's a consequence of living in such close quarters."

A couple decades later i met and married my greater half, Fair Anne, a NYC girl from lower east side who happens to be also a great Southern cook. We greatly enjoyed visiting her Mom who lived at Delancey and Ave A, by that big bridge with a subway on the lower level. . The trains roar past her window every few minutes and while i never adjusted it didn't seem to bother her. Every street is a smorgasboard of different sights. Canal street has the best junkshops anywhere. I can see how people might like that level of constant mental stimulation.

I came to the conclusion that NYC would be a great place to live were one's income enough to enjoy the ten dollar hamburgers, fifty dollar symphony seats and the insane property taxes.
But i'll be poor in a small town, thank you - here i have an acre on a lake where in summertime the grandkids splash about, and my house is deep in a lush green woods . I actually enjoy chopping firewood in winter. There's no rich people to envy here - a status symbol is a nice old tractor. It's just an hour drive to a mid-size town with a university and a pretty good symphony for that occasional dash of culture..

Fair Anne is a paradox to my friends - a NYC girl who makes fabulous biscuits & gravy ?
I tell them she's from South Manhattan.

Dislike NY? Not this good ol' boy. But you guys do need to get Bloomberg under control.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Being basically a small-town southerner I was surprised by my first visit to New York.

With seven millions of people in so few square miles the crowding was just astounding. There's no way you can make eye contact, nod and say "Howdy" to everybody you walk past, let alone give them a generous 'space' on the sidewalk like you do where i came from.
At first brush this gives one the impression of an impersonal almost confrontational culture.
After trying to 'howdy' my first thousand or so New Yorkers i figured out the obvious - you can't politely acknowledge everyone for there's just too many of them. I felt as out of place that poor cowboy in "Bus Stop".

Well, i soon found myself needing directions so pulled out my NYC map and stopped a fellow i'd just picked at random out of the crowd. He looked busy, but everybody there looks busy and intent on getting where they're going.
What an unexpected surprise: the fellow stopped, immediately focusing on me and my map. I could sense his intensity as i asked the whereabouts of my destination. He gave me direct and clear directions complete with arm waving gestures, then went over them on my map - in summary gave me his undivided and focused attention for about a minute. He then asked where was i from and wished me a nice visit .
"Well" , i thought. " New Yorkers are no less friendly than Southerners they're just preoccupied. I guess it's a consequence of living in such close quarters."

A couple decades later i met and married my greater half, Fair Anne, a NYC girl from lower east side who happens to be also a great Southern cook. We greatly enjoyed visiting her Mom who lived at Delancey and Ave A, by that big bridge with a subway on the lower level. . The trains roar past her window every few minutes and while i never adjusted it didn't seem to bother her. Every street is a smorgasboard of different sights. Canal street has the best junkshops anywhere. I can see how people might like that level of constant mental stimulation.

I came to the conclusion that NYC would be a great place to live were one's income enough to enjoy the ten dollar hamburgers, fifty dollar symphony seats and the insane property taxes.
But i'll be poor in a small town, thank you - here i have an acre on a lake where in summertime the grandkids splash about, and my house is deep in a lush green woods . I actually enjoy chopping firewood in winter. There's no rich people to envy here - a status symbol is a nice old tractor. It's just an hour drive to a mid-size town with a university and a pretty good symphony for that occasional dash of culture..

Fair Anne is a paradox to my friends - a NYC girl who makes fabulous biscuits & gravy ?
I tell them she's from South Manhattan.

Dislike NY? Not this good ol' boy. But you guys do need to get Bloomberg under control.

old jim

Interesting observations, Jim . I think my ideal life would be one in which I would switch back-and-forth between living in NY and then somewhere slower , but neither my life nor my wallet allow me to do that at this point.

WWGD said:
Interesting observations, Jim . I think my ideal life would be one in which I would switch back-and-forth between living in NY and then somewhere slower , but neither my life nor my wallet allow me to do that at this point.

I would love to live in upstate New York. I almost moved to Mt. Tremper. (Near or in a zen monastery). I could see living in upstate and maknig the occasionally visits to NYC for what they call "retox." :)

I'll be a doctor next life.

dkotschessaa said:
I would love to live in upstate New York. I almost moved to Mt. Tremper. (Near or in a zen monastery). I could see living in upstate and maknig the occasionally visits to NYC for what they call "retox." :)

Maybe we can both use the services of this company:

https://www.homeexchange.com/en/

WWGD said:
Maybe we can both use the services of this company:

https://www.homeexchange.com/en/

Hey, that's cool.

We are in the middle of buying a house (here in tampa, FL). I would probably have no problem getting a swap with someone in the frozen north.

For some reason it made me think of a sex-mad gecko staring in the sequel to "snakes on a plane".

Boy, I hope they regain control of it. I've been intensely worried about the effects of weightlessness on gecko sex for years.