Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
So weightlessness is how geckos walk on walls and the ceiling. I always thought it was the shoes they were wearing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
dkotschessaa said:
It's just too many people and things in one little place, resulting in a frantic pace,
I've been to New York (in July 1998 IIRC), and that was actually one of my impressions of the city. Nevertheless I did enjoy the visit and I liked the city, but I remember thinking that I would probably not like to live there, because I felt it was very compact and hectic - and it stressed me somewhat. It was also very hot, and I am a Scandinavian who is used to colder temperatures. Another thing I remember was that I found it very hard to find a decent cup of coffee. In Sweden we are used to brewing much stronger coffee than in e.g the US, which means US coffee tastes something like colored water to us (no offense intended, that's just the way it is). Finally I found an international coffee shop where I could get some African coffee, which was somewhat better. The case has been the same when I've visited UK, yet the coffee there are somewhat better to us Swedes. On the other hand, if Americans and Brits would try Swedish coffee, they might suffer a caffeine overdose :biggrin:.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I bought a pair of Klipsch loudspeakers in NY which I still use; they have very good sound and are working excellent. That was a good buy.

Last edited:
DennisN said:
I've been to New York (in July 1998 IIRC), and that was actually one of my impressions of the city. Nevertheless I did enjoy the visit and I liked the city, but I remember thinking that I would probably not like to live there, because I felt it was very compact and hectic - and it stressed me somewhat. It was also very hot, and I am a Scandinavian who is used to colder temperatures. Another thing I remember was that I found it very hard to find a decent cup of coffee. In Sweden we are used to brewing much stronger coffee than in e.g the US, which means US coffee tastes something like colored water to us (no offense intended, that's just the way it is). Finally I found an international coffee shop where I could get some African coffee, which was somewhat better. The case has been the same when I've visited UK, yet the coffee there are somewhat better to us Swedes. On the other hand, if Americans and Brits would try Swedish coffee, they might suffer a caffeine overdose :biggrin:.

Heh. My coffee tastes have been thoroughly un-Americanized. My wife (who is from Puerto Rico) has me now habitually referring to anything that isn't espresso as "American coffee." I can't even drink the stuff anymore.

DennisN said:

EDIT: I forgot to say that I bought a pair of Klipsch loudspeakers in NY which I still use; they have very good sound and are working excellent. That was a good buy.

I guess the frantic pace and overstimulation are a matter of taste and getting used to ; after a few months here it would most likely not be that big of a deal, tho staying in during rush hours is helpful. The thing is, IMHO, you can always create a restful environment in your home, but it is much harder to create in your environment, the level of variety and stimulation the city gives you; it is then a matter of your knowing how to manage the amount of stimulation you get .And , re the coffee scene, it has greatly expanded since then, and you will most likely find a place that brews coffee to your taste.

Last edited:
For the first time in my life, I've just seen five magpies together. (I often see one or two).

According to the old rhyme, "five for silver, six for gold." Bring it on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_Sorrow_(nursery_rhyme) - the version in my part of the UK goes "three for a wedding, four for a birth".

I prefer milk and tea accompanied by raw local honey.

AlephZero said:
For the first time in my life, I've just seen five magpies together. (I often see one or two).

According to the old rhyme, "five for silver, six for gold." Bring it on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_Sorrow_(nursery_rhyme) - the version in my part of the UK goes "three for a wedding, four for a birth".

I've never heard this nursery rhyme before, but I wonder if Tolkien was inspired by it when he wrote the verse about the rings.

zoobyshoe said:
I've never heard this nursery rhyme before, but I wonder if Tolkien was inspired by it when he wrote the verse about the rings.

My wife (who is REALLY not into fantasy, but who read the Hobbit as a kid) did not know there were 3 hobbit movies. We watched the second one the other day, and when it ended abruptly she was very confused. I said "Yes, to be continued in part 3, Sweety!" "There's a part 3? Why is there a part 3?"

dkotschessaa said:
"There's a part 3? Why is there a part 3?"

I can't think of a better review. Send her my regards.

dkotschessaa said:
Why is there a part 3?"
For extra credit, also explain why there was part 1 and part 2.

Due to popular demand, my dog Ming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71777&d=1406752232.jpg

Attachments

• Ming at rest2.jpg
    Ming at rest2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 391
Ooh, the puppy!

AlephZero said:
For extra credit, also explain why there was part 1 and part 2.

Because, no matter how much people complain, they love it. They love ridiculously long epic fantasy movies, and have been wishing for something like this every since the last lord of the rings trilogy.

Funniest_Memes_the-hobbit-edited-by-peter-jackson_3175.jpe

Oh and:

http://aggressivecomix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-hobbit-meme.jpg

Likes 1 person
collinsmark said:
Ooh, the puppy!
The evil people in chat called him the "Spawn of Satan". :cry: He is the sweetest dog in the world. He can't help how he looks. He just wants to love and be loved. He has a deformed mouth and no one would adopt him and he was going to be terminated. He is an absolute sweetheart. When you pay attention to him, he gets so happy and he lowers his head to the ground and holds his paw up in the air to you. :!)

Evo said:
holds his paw up in the air to you. :!)

Like the Hitler salute? I knew the dog was up to no good.

Likes 1 person
Here is Chopin chomping down on his stick, I just missed the shot of him where the stick was straight up looking like a unicorn. :frown:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71783&d=1406765109.jpg

Attachments

• chopin with stick1.jpg
    chopin with stick1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 469
Evo said:
Here is Chopin chomping down on his stick, I just missed the shot of him where the stick was straight up looking like a unicorn. :frown:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Wife: I'm tired.
Me (dead serious):If you want sleep, you must prepare for bed.

Evo said:

Looks to me like he's smoking a cigar in the house. Not good for your interior.

I take a hiatus from PF for a while, come back and now there's a 3rd Random Thoughts thread.

Anything else I need to know about?

Evo said:
The evil people in chat called him the "Spawn of Satan". :cry: He is the sweetest dog in the world. He can't help how he looks. He just wants to love and be loved. He has a deformed mouth and no one would adopt him and he was going to be terminated. He is an absolute sweetheart. When you pay attention to him, he gets so happy and he lowers his head to the ground and holds his paw up in the air to you. :!)

Aawww, he sounds so sweet!

Due to incredible requests, more Ming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71797&d=1406850107.jpg

Attachments

• Ming upside down1.jpg
    Ming upside down1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 472
More Chopin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71799&d=1406850665.jpg

Attachments

• chopin stretching1.jpg
    chopin stretching1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 416
Evo said:
More Chopin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71799&d=1406850665.jpg

Chopin is evil too :cry:

More Ming. He's smiling at you Micro...

attachment.php?attachmentid=71800&d=1406851467.jpg

Attachments

• Mingy1.jpg
    Mingy1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 499
Evo said:
More Ming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71800&d=1406851467.jpg

Oh my god, evo. Get out of there, now! He's posessed!

He's your god son..he loves you...

Evo said:
He's your god son..he loves you...

I'm going to die :cry:

Oh he's sweet - and he sure looks relaxed and at home!

Does he ever stand up :biggrin:?

Likes 1 person
Last edited by a moderator: