Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,121
zoobyshoe said:
So, what is the Law of Averages? Is the crime being average or not being average?

The crime is not behaving randomly in an orderly pattern. In other words, in order for the Law of Averages to work, everyone's behavior has to be random, but their random behavior has to be in a pattern that's easily predictable.

For example, the Law of Averages say a certain number of people will die this year in automobile accidents. But this dying in car accidents should appear random enough that those dying in car accidents this year have no clue ahead of time, else they'd foil the Law of Averages by not driving at all and then where would we be?

We'd have random chaos - that's where we'd be!

Auto insurance companies wouldn't know how much to charge us if they can't predict how many people will die each year! The department of transportation wouldn't know how much gasoline tax to charge us in order to maintain our roads if they could no longer rely on us to drive a set number of miles each year in fuel guzzling SUVS!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,122
BobG said:
Auto insurance companies wouldn't know how much to charge us if they can't predict how many people will die each year! The department of transportation wouldn't know how much gasoline tax to charge us in order to maintain our roads if they could no longer rely on us to drive a set number of miles each year in fuel guzzling SUVS!
I get it: all about the money.

• #1,123
zoobyshoe said:
Shark week.

Shark Week's gone down the crapper. They've had multiple segments which, after their airings, Discovery has admitted were entirely false: fake scientists, fake victims, fake sharks.

Although it can still be fun if you treat it like the History Channel and are simply interested in seeing what they'll come up with next :smile:

• #1,124
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Shark Week's gone down the crapper. They've had multiple segments which, after their airings, Discovery has admitted were entirely false: fake scientists, fake victims, fake sharks.

Although it can still be fun if you treat it like the History Channel and are simply interested in seeing what they'll come up with next :smile:

Didn't they say last year that they discovered a living megalodon?

• #1,125
BobG said:
The crime is not behaving randomly in an orderly pattern. In other words, in order for the Law of Averages to work, everyone's behavior has to be random, but their random behavior has to be in a pattern that's easily predictable.

For example, the Law of Averages say a certain number of people will die this year in automobile accidents. But this dying in car accidents should appear random enough that those dying in car accidents this year have no clue ahead of time, else they'd foil the Law of Averages by not driving at all and then where would we be?

We'd have random chaos - that's where we'd be!

What do you mean here, that the expected value /variance (as an integral) does not converge? Still, then I think you still have some order, as in the Cauchy distribution.

Last edited:
  • #1,126
AnTiFreeze3 said:

I'm finding Shark Week pretty entertaining:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc

• #1,127
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I read about them "creatively" editing interviews with scientists such that the scientists seem to be saying things they actually never would have said, but this is the first I've heard of fake sharks and fake victims.

• #1,128
Too much time on my hands. Web length = 22.3 feet

QmgYc0D.jpg

q5wzpxT.jpg

• #1,129
dlgoff said:
Fake. Spider Week's just around the corner.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,130
zoobyshoe said:
Fake. Spider Week's just around the corner.

Yep it just seems to creep up on us. <(@^@)> darn I wish my smiley face worked.

• #1,131
edward said:
<(@^@)> darn I wish my smiley face worked.
Just fake it.

• #1,132
zoobyshoe said:
Just fake it.

:) somehow it just isn't the same

I hope that there is a fake poop week. I may get to be on TV.

15fp3jk.jpg

Come to think of it there is already plenty of fake poop on TV. Wait a minute, the poop on TV is real.:devil:

• #1,133
dlgoff said:

Me too. Today, I bought my [STRIKE]first[/STRIKE] third bicycle. [The last one being purchased] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] 35 years [ago]. The circumference of the front [STRIKE]wheel[/STRIKE] tire is 2.107 meters.

It's a nice bike. Very much like my last one. Both French of course.

Except for the Japanese bits, from what I've just read.

• #1,134
OmCheeto said:
Me too. Today, I bought my [STRIKE]first[/STRIKE] third bicycle. [The last one being purchased] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] 35 years [ago]. The circumference of the front [STRIKE]wheel[/STRIKE] tire is 2.107 meters.

It's a nice bike. Very much like my last one. Both French of course.

Except for the Japanese bits, from what I've just read.

Oops I got diameter and circumference confused there for a minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing#mediaviewer/File:Pennyfarthing-1886.jpg

Edit:

Schwinn has a new version of this bicycle at Walmart.

http://cf.collectorsweekly.com/stories/McCBgM0bkZn5CZ5cxHIacg.jpg

Last edited:
  • #1,135
dlgoff said:

I was just listening to a podcast about Galapagos. So the first thing I thought when I saw your post here was "Darwin would have been proud."

-Dave K

• #1,136
OmCheeto said:
ps. I was just thinking of you. Do you know what an "MG" is? And were you guys still cursing the electricians back aft when they messed up the 400 Hz system?

Oh, we still have them. When they're working, at least! lol

Believe it or not 400 was pretty reliable.

• #1,137
B. Elliott said:
Oh, we still have them. When they're working, at least! lol

Believe it or not 400 was pretty reliable.

Yay! They finally fixed something. :-p

ps. I can't remember whether or not we replaced the Lithium-Bromide beast with an R-114 refrigeration unit on my old boat.

pps. Have we thrown you a welcome back party yet?

• #1,138
If only I could find a job when I could sleep during the day and be up all night...:zzz:

• #1,139
Enigman said:
It's the obligatory evil laugh that all villains have to do.
He just scalped Cruella and wore it* as a fur-coat, you see.
*(the scalp)

dalmatians run as fast as you can I will get skinned for you
:devil:cause me a maniac:devil:

• #1,140
'Been hammering the vis viva equation all day.

Derived the optimal transition between two possible interplanetary injection/ejection strategies involving circular + hyperbolic orbits (one has an elliptical orbit as an intermediate step). And as a bonus, found the optimal parking orbit for refueling stations. And that orbit is the same for either strategy!

Then verified that the math works using Kerbal Space Program.

I just love it when the math works out. It's one of the greatest joys in life, me thinks.

Last edited:
  • #1,141
Astronuc said:
It could be worse. They could make it a 5 part trilogy. :biggrin:

Ahem...5...part...trilogy??

• #1,142
OmCheeto said:
Yay! They finally fixed something. :-p

ps. I can't remember whether or not we replaced the Lithium-Bromide beast with an R-114 refrigeration unit on my old boat.

pps. Have we thrown you a welcome back party yet?

Oh, plenty of scares from R-114 leaks underway. Most of the time it was just the pos atmosphere analyzer going out of cal and alarming. "HEY EVERYONE, WAKE UP! I'M JUST A FALSE ALARM!"

Not yet. :D

• #1,143
  • #1,144
As in Tappet Brothers' "third half of our show"...

• #1,145
Lisa! said:
If only I could find a job when I could sleep during the day and be up all night...:zzz:

That would be ideal.

I always thought, when I was a lot younger, that if I became an astronomer I would just get to work with observatories at night and sleep during the day, but really researchers just get little time slots, take a butt-load of data, and then have to sleep at night like normal people :frown:

Likes 1 person
  • #1,146
Why do some people drive their car into a flooded area? :confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/monsoon-rains-floods-threated-southwest-001655682.html

• #1,148
  • #1,149
Part of me wants to teach the second level of calculus somewhere once I get my PhD.

The reason is simple. Eventually, there will be some trouble-making kid in my class, who will inevitably cause a problem on the day I introduce Taylor series. Then, I could tell him to "cool his jets."

Hope this counts as a (pseudo)random thought. :-p

• #1,150
Astronuc said:
Why do some people drive their car into a flooded area? :confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/monsoon-rains-floods-threated-southwest-001655682.html

Because I have drain plugs in the floor of my Jeep. It would be a shame to never use them.

• #1,151
I always thought the road in front of my house was pretty flat. Once you start doing bicycle physics experiments, you discover it is not so.

The same thing happened to me 5 years ago when I brought my then new truck home for the first time. I always thought my driveway was perfectly level. None of my previous 5 cars moved when I parked. But my truck took off, like a rat out of an aqueduct. Voom! Fortunately, it slopes away from the street, and the lawn gently caught her. :smile:

• #1,152
OmCheeto said:
I always thought the road in front of my house was pretty flat. Once you start doing bicycle physics experiments, you discover it is not so.

The same thing happened to me 5 years ago when I brought my then new truck home for the first time. I always thought my driveway was perfectly level. None of my previous 5 cars moved when I parked. But my truck took off, like a rat out of an aqueduct. Voom! Fortunately, it slopes away from the street, and the lawn gently caught her. :smile:
Bicycles? Truck coasting uphill? Level road?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRzwNycQTok

• #1,153
dlgoff said:

Ok. Maybe my road and driveway are flat. But the only explanation of unexplained time-space curvature would be micro, non-evaporative, black holes, planted, by, aliens...

:bugeye:

• #1,154
There's something really wrong with the Contour commercials.

• #1,155
dlgoff said:

I know of two similar roads in Poland. One near Wiele, other near Żar mountain.

Last edited: