Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,156
I fell asleep with the TV on this afternoon and had a long, fascinating dream incorporating dialog and narration from the TV show.

The show was this thing on Sci-Fi where the guy goes all over the world chasing down legendary beasts and myths.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
I average about 10K miles per year on my car. I've driven over 3000 miles in the last 4 weeks.

• #1,158
zoobyshoe said:
I fell asleep with the TV on this afternoon and had a long, fascinating dream incorporating dialog and narration from the TV show.

The show was this thing on Sci-Fi where the guy goes all over the world chasing down legendary beasts and myths.

I should try that! o:)

• #1,159
Absolutely best SF dreams I ever had happened when I had a very high fever from tonsillitis. I was 21 or something at the time. The scene I remember best was in a pilot cabin of some kind of a spaceship (in a way similar to Millennium Falcon). I was talking with someone and he made some gurgling noise. I asked "What's that" and he answered "curse in an high Akiel dialect". "What does it mean?" I asked. "Untranslatable, we lack appropriate organs".

You don't want the fever to go down when you see such things.

• #1,160
Borek said:
Absolutely best SF dreams I ever had happened when I had a very high fever from tonsillitis. I was 21 or something at the time. The scene I remember best was in a pilot cabin of some kind of a spaceship (in a way similar to Millennium Falcon). I was talking with someone and he made some gurgling noise. I asked "What's that" and he answered "curse in an high Akiel dialect". "What does it mean?" I asked. "Untranslatable, we lack appropriate organs".

You don't want the fever to go down when you see such things.
After I saw the movie Inception, I had a few dreams within dreams. I actually woke up in my dream and understood that I had been dreaming - then I woke up from that one. It was very surreal but no fever required.

• #1,161
Borek said:
"Untranslatable, we lack appropriate organs".
Very fun! :smile:

Borg said:
After I saw the movie Inception, I had a few dreams within dreams. I actually woke up in my dream and understood that I had been dreaming - then I woke up from that one. It was very surreal but no fever required.
I've had a couple of such dreams too. One of the weirdest dreams was one in which I woke up from a dream and told myself to test if I was still dreaming by touching some object (a table or something, I can't remember what it was). I touched the object and decided that it was real and that I was not dreaming. But I was dreaming :biggrin:.

• #1,162
DennisN said:
Very fun! :smile:

I've had a couple of such dreams too. One of the weirdest dreams was one in which I woke up from a dream and told myself to test if I was still dreaming by touching some object (a table or something, I can't remember what it was). I touched the object and decided that it was real and that I was not dreaming. But I was dreaming :biggrin:.
The opposite of a lucid dream: where you are dreaming but specifically question it and come to the conclusion you aren't. I have had this many, many times, and I hate it!

• #1,163
My neighbors abandoned their fish. :cry:

They left one person behind to clean up before the landlord showed up, and he asked me if I would take them. Since I have a fish tank, I said yes.

I now have, in addition to my original tribe, 4 comet goldfish, 2 neon tetras, 2 bleeding heart tetras, and a glass cat.

Once I got them home, he asked me if I wanted the aquarium. I said sure, why not.

Anyways, the reason I brought this up is, because there were about 20 kg of "ornaments", half of which were in two boxes. Upon inspection, I decided that none of the ornaments, aside from a few interesting rocks, would have ever graced any of my aquariums. This was obviously a "woman's" fish tank!

Is there a field of study known as ichthyoanthropology? i.e. the study of the determination of the gender and life path of the person, based upon the junk they've had in their fish bowls?

ps. In one of the boxes, was a child's white sock, embroidered with; "HAPPY HOOKER". Not sure what that says about the family. Maybe dad bought them. :rolleyes: I saw no signs of embroidery, crocheting, knitting, nor fishing gear, in the house.

pps. Hey! She's still alive! And still looks happy. :smile:

ppps. I also got a free wheelbarrow. Had a flat tire. Two punctures. Kinda fixed them. Just long enough to haul all this crap across the street.

pppps. I'm feeling like I'm 16 again. Infinite amounts of free time. :-p

Neal Stephenson said:
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

• #1,164
Borek said:
Absolutely best SF dreams I ever had happened when I had a very high fever from tonsillitis. ... I was talking with someone and he made some gurgling noise. I asked "What's that" and he answered "curse in an high Akiel dialect". "What does it mean?" I asked. "Untranslatable, we lack appropriate organs".
You sure it was fiction? :rolleyes:

dreams.jpg

I've learned a lot from micromass.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,165
dlgoff said:
We all have o:).

• #1,166
dlgoff said:
You sure it was fiction? :rolleyes:

dreams.jpg

That is not the way I thought he looked!

• #1,167
I don't know who this is (the guy in the image) but people around on the net like to use his picture with words like this.

• #1,168
Medicol said:
I don't know who this is (the guy in the image) but people around on the net like to use his picture with words like this.

Didn't you read below the picture ? That's micromass.

• #1,169
WWGD said:
Didn't you read below the picture ? That's micromass.
Yes. When we first saw his hair, back in the day, there was a general clamor to make him a mentor.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,170
I saw this very entertaining movie on TV tonight. It was called Red, and starred Bruce Willis as an ex-CIA agent who was targeted for termination. Many guns were fired and many people died during the movie. Somehow, it remained basically a comedy. I understand there's a sequel.

• #1,171
14802268339_05aa66064b_o.jpg

14802302060_f492e03256_o.jpg

Look here! Look here! Very important!
Look down!
Further down!
It's amazing!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
--------> Nothing special here. I just stole a couple of more seconds of your life.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,172
More Ming for Micro. Look at that tongue! :-p

attachment.php?attachmentid=72346&d=1408651436.jpg

Attachments

• ming in repose 2a.jpg
    ming in repose 2a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 486
  • #1,174
LOL, I don't know how you find those pictures. :-p

• #1,175
"If anything, this new sequel breaks new ground in treading water, wasting time and general narrative inertia. It’s an almost Herculean feat of nothingness.”

They made a movie of my life?

• #1,176
For micro, a cry for help

attachment.php?attachmentid=72353&d=1408674342.jpg

Attachments

• micro please love me.jpg
    micro please love me.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 424
  • #1,177
Such a beautiful puppy. :!)

Evo said:
For micro, a cry for help

attachment.php?attachmentid=72353&d=1408674342.jpg

But still, ...

Pazuzu.jpg

[Pazuzu from the demonic horror, cinematic masterwork THE EXORCIST. Image taken from http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Pazuzu.jpg]

Hmm. Regardless, I like Ming (and Chopin).

[Edit: as a matter of fact, I call the Pazuzu resemblance a positive bonus! :biggrin: :thumbs:]

[Another edit: Hee hee! Seriously though, Ming (and Chopin) is (are) adorable. Pairing up these images makes me laugh.]

[Yet another edit: I just realized that this last, puppy image wasn't Ming but Chopin. They both look possessed! :biggrin: (or is one possessing the other?)]

Last edited:
  • #1,178
DennisN said:
14802268339_05aa66064b_o.jpg
I would also recommend wearing the 45 SPF factor sunscreen if you're planning on walking on the sun, instead of the usual 15 SPF we use here on Earth, seeing as that you're closer. And if it fits your schedule, go in April, when smashmouth holds their annual shindig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=LQj--Kjn0z8

• #1,179
Just received an e-mail of someone wishing that I "have a great fall". I hope the sender just forgot to capitalize, tho if I do happen to fall, I will make the best of it. Just in case, I replied wishing her a hip replacement; guess some replacements can be seriously hip.

• #1,180
WWGD said:
Just received an e-mail of someone wishing that I "have a great fall". I hope the sender just forgot to capitalize, tho if I do happen to fall, I will make the best of it. Just in case, I replied wishing her a hip replacement; guess some replacements can be seriously hip.
About a year ago I was sitting on a wall and actually did fall off. It was not a "great" fall in any sense, and I was back together again within two weeks with no help needed. But I wondered about the strange glitch in balance that caused the fall and whether or not it was the same as Humpty's. History, you may recall, does not record the cause of his accident. Anyway, I did hurt my hip a little, but mostly I scraped an elbow.

• #1,181
zoobyshoe said:
About a year ago I was sitting on a wall and actually did fall off. It was not a "great" fall in any sense, and I was back together again within two weeks with no help needed. But I wondered about the strange glitch in balance that caused the fall and whether or not it was the same as Humpty's. History, you may recall, does not record the cause of his accident. Anyway, I did hurt my hip a little, but mostly I scraped an elbow.

Maybe you fell asleep, like this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28844764

Is this a new explanation for "having dreams about falling"?

• #1,182
DiracPool said:
And if it fits your schedule, go in April, when smashmouth holds their annual shindig.
DiracPool, I like the Smash Mouth song, it's been a long time since I heard it, so thanks for posting it!

DiracPool said:
I would also recommend wearing the 45 SPF factor sunscreen if you're planning on walking on the sun, instead of the usual 15 SPF we use here on Earth, seeing as that you're closer.

Good idea! I did not think about that, people are so stupid. Why do they never think of that? But I still think it's better to go at Winter, it feels more logical to do so.
Let's see how to prepare for a sun walk:
1. Make sure you visit the Sun in the Winter, and at night.
2. Apply a proper sunscreen.
3. Make sure you wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
4. Construct and wear a full body foil suit:

13df589572cd284989f492d7fd534fe7_zps69c7d87a.jpg

But the biggest problem, as I see it, would be how to locate the Sun at night. I must know where I'm going. At night it is very dark, and I won't see a thing! Hmm... I'm wondering... would flashlights and binoculars be of any help here? Maybe flashlights are too weak? I know there are very powerful spotlights, though, which might do the job.

EDIT: I just had another wonderful idea! And I have never heard anyone suggesting it before! Imagine building a spacecraft for landing on the Sun - a spacecraft made of ice! An icecraft :!)! Of course, we all know ice can melt if it's hot, but if you make the icecraft big enough, maybe this will work?

Last edited:
  • #1,183
Science to the rescue! Sun is hot, so to find it during night you can use one of these fancy infrared goggles.

• #1,184
Borek said:
Science to the rescue! Sun is hot, so to find it during night you can use one of these fancy infrared goggles.
Now that is pure perfection! Thanks!

• #1,185
AlephZero said:
Maybe you fell asleep, like this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28844764
Hmm, no, I didn't fall asleep and wake up the Thames that I'm aware of. I landed in a parking lot. There were no Royal National Lifeboats needed, either. I just got back up.

• #1,186
zoobyshoe said:

If it happened during work hours, I can give you a link I just saw for "small business lawyers"--all lawyers below 5'2'' .

• #1,187
WWGD said:
If it happened during work hours, I can give you a link I just saw for "small business lawyers"--all lawyers below 5'2'' .
You're saying "large business lawyers" can only handle it if it was not during work hours?

• #1,188
I was wondering again today when and how bacon got rehabilitated. Not so long ago bacon was considered evil, the very icon of high cholesterol, heart clogging meat. Now the only important thing about bacon is that it tastes really, really good.

• #1,189
zoobyshoe said:
I was wondering again today when and how bacon got rehabilitated. Not so long ago bacon was considered evil, the very icon of high cholesterol, heart clogging meat. Now the only important thing about bacon is that it tastes really, really good.

Personally, I find that bacon goes best together with other food. Such as in burgers or in salads.
Bacon on itself is overrated in my opinion, it's a boring dish all by itself.

• #1,190
Indeed, bacon is a bit of a boar. :wink: