Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #2,031
jollyunclejoe said:
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

No it doesn't jollyunclejoe. From merriam-webster, sound is defined as "the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing" In order for a "sound" to exist, there must me a sentient biological creature around to "hear" it. Hope that puts that to rest. However, there is a sound of one hand clapping, I'm doing it right now. Too bad you're not around to hear it o0)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,032
DiracPool said:
However, there is a sound of one hand clapping, I'm doing it right now.
Don't forget to wipe off the keyboard... ?:)

• #2,033
Danger said:
Don't forget to wipe off the keyboard... ?:)

Hey smartypants, this is what I was referring to:

Do you want me to start following you again, Danger? o_O

• #2,034
DiracPool said:
Do you want me to start following you again, Danger?
oo)

No!

I'm sure that dexterity makes your girlfriend very happy...

• #2,035
DiracPool said:
Hey smartypants, this is what I was referring to:

Do you want me to start following you again, Danger? o_O

It appears PF is becoming a DANGEROUS place:eek::D

• #2,036
DiracPool said:
No it doesn't jollyunclejoe. From merriam-webster, sound is defined as "the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing" In order for a "sound" to exist, there must me a sentient biological creature around to "hear" it. Hope that puts that to rest. However, there is a sound of one hand clapping, I'm doing it right now. Too bad you're not around to hear it o0)
So the sound waves are recorded and the sound is indicated on the recording device. Does the recording contain the sound, yes.. In the world of electronics, there no longer has to be a physical observer since devices can record the sound. Of course in the woods, there are animals and insects that hear it, there doesn't have to be a human. Such nonsense. Not only can we record the sound of the tree falling we can capture it on video, and no observer needs to be present!

In other words, the tree falling creates sound, it doesn't matter if anyone is there. Electronic recording devices have proven how silly that philosophical argument is. No, we're are not going to discuss philosophy.

Sound recording - the act or process of making a record of sound

Go to merriam-webster sound recording

Last edited:
  • #2,037
ColaLife uses the same principles and networks that Coca-Cola and other commodity producers use, to open up private sector supply chains for simple medicines.
http://www.colalife.org/

Everyone should have access to clean water, food and medicine.

Likes Medicol and RonL
  • #2,039
DiracPool said:

Hmm, I am more convinced in Evo's reasoning. About the clapping, I believe I actually can perceive it far off in the void . . . Gosh it sounds melodious. Don't stop.

• #2,040
Medicol said:
I just saw him in a pretty-good movie the other night. It was called "Looper," and it took me by surprise that he was in it, because I'd never heard of it before. 2011, IIRC. Fairly recent, but not well advertised. Kind of like "Terminator." But without robots.

Edit: Looper, not Louper; corrected that for you ;) Borek

• #2,041
Looper, about time travel and hitmen.

• #2,042
zoobyshoe said:
I just saw him in a pretty-good movie the other night. It was called "Louper,"
The first time that I ever saw or even heard of Bruce Willis was back in '85 in the very first episode of "The New Twilight Zone" which was entitled "Shatterday" and was based upon Harlan Ellison's short story of the same name. I thought at the time that he must be the best actor that I'd ever seen; it was arguably the best performance of his life.

• #2,043
JorisL said:
Looper, about time travel and hitmen.
You're right, Looper, not Louper. And it came out in 2012, not 2011.

• #2,044
Danger said:
The first time that I ever saw or even heard of Bruce Willis was back in '85 in the very first episode of "The New Twilight Zone" which was entitled "Shatterday" and was based upon Harlan Ellison's short story of the same name. I thought at the time that he must be the best actor that I'd ever seen; it was arguably the best performance of his life.
'Just watched it on YouTube. Hee hee! :D

Likes RonL
  • #2,045
collinsmark said:
Hee hee! :D
Damn! You saw through my facetiousness! :(

• #2,046
Waiting for an important meeting with the manager, not knowing if there will be good or bad news. Let it be noon already!

• #2,047
Monique said:
Waiting for an important meeting with the manager, not knowing if there will be good or bad news. Let it be noon already!
How did it go ?:nb):nb):nb)

• #2,048
RonL said:
How did it go ?:nb):nb):nb)

:nb) after a long morning and preparing for the worst, it was good news... I think. Should know more tomorrow :nb)

• #2,049
Monique said:
:nb) after a long morning and preparing for the worst, it was good news... I think. Should know more tomorrow :nb)
My wishes for the best :)

Likes Monique
  • #2,050
This was too funny to not share:
http://new1.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hobbit_7a65bf_5367153.jpg

Likes OmCheeto, DennisN, lisab and 4 others
  • #2,051
Monique said:
That's exactly what someone else I know said in reference to a pregnancy test.

Likes Medicol
  • #2,052
Danger said:
That's exactly what someone else I know said in reference to a pregnancy test.
Are you saying a "little Danger" is in our future ?:eek:o_O:nb)oo):D

• #2,053
You give them a small finger and they want to take a whole arm

Likes Medicol
  • #2,054

Where is Micro when you want to share Star Wars trailer?

• #2,055
Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday ! Buy more pay less!

• #2,056
RonL said:
Are you saying a "little Danger" is in our future ?
No, drat the luck. I'm past my expiry date for that.

Actually, I'm past my expiry date period.

• #2,057
Danger said:
No, drat the luck. I'm past my expiry date for that.

Actually, I'm past my expiry date period.
:L We'll be here as best we can:)

• #2,058
Much appreciated, but stop crying. Believe it or not, I'm ridiculously happy all the time. (Maybe it's the beer.)
My GP gave me 6 months to live 4 years ago. I actually did die 3 years ago (going by 0% blood oxygen saturation via acute C02 poisoning), but I didn't care for it and came back. I have no intention of repeating the experience. My will to live is powered by my determination to irritate other people, and that can't be overcome. :D

Likes collinsmark and RonL
  • #2,059
Danger said:
Much appreciated, but stop crying. Believe it or not, I'm ridiculously happy all the time. (Maybe it's the beer.)
My GP gave me 6 months to live 4 years ago. I actually did die 3 years ago (going by 0% blood oxygen saturation via acute C02 poisoning), but I didn't care for it and came back. I have no intention of repeating the experience. My will to live is powered by my determination to irritate other people, and that can't be overcome. :D
Aww Gee! alright you win :D that better ? :D

Likes Danger
  • #2,060
RonL said:
that better ?
Yup.:cool:

Likes RonL
  • #2,061
Monique said:
Oh please let us know how it turns out! I'm hoping for the best :) !

Likes Monique
  • #2,062
chickennarcissistic.jpg

Likes Lisa! and Danger
  • #2,063
lisab said:
Oh please let us know how it turns out! I'm hoping for the best :) !
Either I'm requesting the impossible or they're busy making arrangements. No news yet.

• #2,064
Monique said:
Either I'm requesting the impossible or they're busy making arrangements. No news yet.
Based on your avatar and profile, you deserve the impossible :) I have my fingers crossed for you :nb)

• #2,065
uh oh.
I have 9 alerts.
This is a new record, for me.
After 3 days of trans-thanksgiving debauchery, I'm afraid to view them.

What did I do now...

:H