Is Relativistic Mass Plausible?

In summary: The mass of an electron is due to its spin"... or something like that. But if we say"The mass of an electron is due to its energy"... that sounds strange because we don't usually think of mass in terms of energy. What Taylor and Wheeler are saying is that it's better to get used to thinking of mass as a type of energy, and not try to "explain" mass in terms of some underlying cause.Or is it that an increase in mass relates somehow to the time component of the four vector and that is supposedly a less plausible relationship?The 4-momentum vector has 4 components: The first three components are simply the ordinary momentum vector (px, py, pz) but the fourth component
JANm said:
As I explained within relativity theory restmass cannot be defined.
Since I defined it just a couple of posts ago this comment seems disingenuous at best.

JANm said:
If relativity principle were true then the 3 kelvin radiation would be isotropic for every inertial system
That doesn't make any sense at all. That is like saying that Mt. Everest should have the same velocity in all reference frames. The CMBR is not a law of nature.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
The CMBR is not a law of nature.

Right!

JANm said:
A mass of an individual object needs velocity to calculate m = gamma * m_0.

But not everytime. Let v be 0, then [itex]m=m_0[/itex] so [itex]m\geq m_0[/itex]

Last edited:
edpell said:
JANm how about we use [tex] \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt[]{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}} [/tex]
and say [tex] m = \gamma m_0 = m_0 + (\gamma -1)m_0 [/tex] some people like to break it into these two parts the rest mass and the kinetic energy I think it is simpler to leave it as [tex] \gamma m_0 [/tex].

Yes it's much simpler but not that effective. I mean you can't calculate what you want without using the original forms of equations.
For example the [itex]E^2=m_0^2c^4+p^2c^2[/itex] not only the famous [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] . Most of the time we "gotta" calculate momentum too... Simplifying doesn't work all the time. A quote from Einstein:

"Keep it simple, stupid — but never oversimplify."