Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
Hi, I attach my first (at least partly) succes of Saturn image made with Bresser eyepiece camera-one original and two little processed by Gimp (it should be zoomed).

Have nice day and lot of succes :smile: :thumbup:

Attachments

• 0060.jpg
    0060.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 0062CC.jpg
    0062CC.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 0061C.jpg
    0061C.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 82
Likes collinsmark, chemisttree, davenn and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi still one Saturn Gimp proc. image -probably better

Attachments

• 0060CCC.jpg
    0060CCC.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 84
Likes collinsmark, davenn and DennisN
bruha said:
Hi, I attach my first (at least partly) succes of Saturn image
Nice! The rings are clearly visible.

bruha said:
Hi still one Saturn Gimp proc. image -probably better
That’s great. Was this a 25 mm eyepiece?

6-25-2020; 9:10 CST
Much better skies tonight and much higher up. Transparency ~4.

F62DC760-56E7-4C8E-B710-83516E110A85.jpeg

Likes collinsmark and DennisN
Detail near the interesting bits...

DE459F58-FB74-446F-B6CD-AEDC4018933A.jpeg

There is a beautiful little crater near the lower right quadrant’s terminator called Picollomini. In its center is a pile of fractured uplift. Actually a mountain of it.
Below, a close-up through a C-6 with a 2X barlowed 25mm plossl. iPhone pic. taken 20 minutes ago (~10:25 CST) that is not quite as nice but it shows the uplift in more detail.

35EEBD3A-3F17-41D3-8EE6-43B833408305.jpeg

You can just make out the collapsed northwestern wall, fully illuminated in the early morning light. At some point after the crater’s formation, this wall collapsed leaving an irregular edge to the crater and a tumble of fractured rock at its base.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and davenn
a little bit of deep space

LMC, Large Magellanic Cloud
A southern sky object and one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies. It has many objects within it.
The largest being the Tarantula Nebula, a supernova remnant

LMC 24L9D Sequator1sm.jpg

I took the image with a Canon 6D and a 75 - 200mm zoom at 200mm and f2.8. 24 x 30 sec lights
and 9 darks all stacked in Sequator. Processed in Lightroom

Likes DennisN, collinsmark and chemisttree
The LMC's mate, the SMC, yup Small Magellanic Cloud. The other bright satellite galaxy of the Milky Way.
Imaging info is the same as for the LMC

SMCsm1.jpg

The bright object in the lower right of centre is 47 Tuc (Tucana) globular cluster.
It belongs to the Milky Way and is part of the halo of globular clusters that surround the core of the Milky Way.Dave

Likes DennisN, collinsmark and chemisttree
chemisttree said:
Detail near the interesting bits...
<snip>
You can just make out the collapsed northwestern wall, fully illuminated in the early morning light. At some point after the crater’s formation, this wall collapsed leaving an irregular edge to the crater and a tumble of fractured rock at its base.

That *is* a cool region- here's a detailed view of the image I took last night:

DSC_0480 copy.jpg

Likes chemisttree, DennisN and collinsmark
Andy Resnick said:
That *is* a cool region- here's a detailed view of the image I took last night:

That’s fantastic. I hope you can catch it again tonight and follow the dawn along the Rupes Altai. It’s raining here tonight and my cloud filter is still lost in the mail, so I’ll miss the show this month.

Horsehead and Flame nebulae, 3h observing time:

horsehead-10529s_filtered copy.jpg

Likes DennisN, berkeman, collinsmark and 1 other person
Hello, it looks really fantastic.. :smile: :thumbup: :thumbup:
can I ask what is your "gear" equipment?

What’s it like using that Bresser USB HD camera?

bruha said:
Hello, it looks really fantastic.. :smile: :thumbup: :thumbup:
can I ask what is your "gear" equipment?

I assume you are asking me :) My gear is simple- this image was constructed with a 400mm f/2.8 lens and full-frame camera (both Nikon) mounted on a Losmandy GM-8, no autoguider.

Hi and thank you for information. :smile: :thumbup::thumbup:.

Andy Resnick said:
Horsehead and Flame nebulae, 3h observing time

Very nice! Here's my narrowband image of the same target. I had a ton of problems with this shoot, and my results were not nearly as good as I was hoping.

_nc_ohc=6k68Ye_J_CAAX9mKhnV&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, collinsmark, DennisN and 2 others
Drakkith said:
Very nice! Here's my narrowband image of the same target. I had a ton of problems with this shoot, and my results were not nearly as good as I was hoping.
This shot taken with an SCT?

Likes chemisttree and davenn
Veil Nebula, in Cygnus, 4 hours viewing time- whole field of view and some zooms:

Veil-14532s copy.jpg

Veil-14532s copy-1.jpg

Veil-14532s copy-2.jpg

This nebula is tricky (for me) because it just barely fits in the field of view at 400mm; precise flat field correction is critical across the entire image. It's easier to see the nebula when I remove the stars from the image and stretch out the leftover bit:

Invert of Veil-14532s copy.jpg

Likes chemisttree, collinsmark, DennisN and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
Here's my narrowband image of the same target. I had a ton of problems with this shoot, and my results were not nearly as good as I was hoping.
But it's a very nice photo anyway, I'd say. Nice shades of red.

I consider this to be my best image. Hope I haven't posted it in this thread already:

Carina Nebula in SII, HA, and OIII narrowband.

_nc_ohc=TzC_yjvFBSUAX-DSWqJ&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, chemisttree, Andy Resnick and 2 others
Drakkith said:
I consider this to be my best image.
Very nice!

Jupiter, 24 June 2020, with 2 bands visible.
Camera settings: ISO 200, 1/10 s exposure.

59 stacked photos processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and finally Adobe Lightroom (where I could remove a lot of the aberration, and also increase contrast and decrease exposure, if I remember correctly).

The planet was just a yellow blob with atmospheric aberration in the telescope :smile:, but the postprocessing brought out at least some detail.

50068004328_dda7226420_o.png

Likes collinsmark, Drakkith and chemisttree
DennisN said:
Jupiter, 24 June 2020, with 2 bands visible.
Camera settings: ISO 200, 1/10 s exposure.

59 stacked photos processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and finally Adobe Lightroom (where I could remove a lot of the aberration, and also increase contrast and decrease exposure, if I remember correctly).

The planet was just a yellow blob with atmospheric aberration in the telescope :smile:, but the postprocessing brought out at least some detail.

View attachment 265661
This afocally with your 70mm inexpensive scope and the plossl it came with? And your camera phone/video? That’s impressive!

Likes DennisN
chemisttree said:
This afocally with your 70mm inexpensive scope and the plossl it came with? And your camera phone/video? That’s impressive!
Thanks! Yes, a $35 scope and a $132 phone. And a lot of patience... :smile:
Now that you asked I don't remember which eyepiece I used.
I have a couple of other cheap eyepieces I bought from China (brand Datyson), and I remember I tried with those too (using a 0.965" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter). But I don't remember which eyepiece I ended up using when I took the photos. I have to start taking notes :smile:. And I am considering getting new equipment at the moment too.

If I used one of these eyepieces, it may have been the 10 mm, third from the left in this photo:

50069098412_57a37d2164_z.jpg

Likes collinsmark
Hi,
I send 3 moon images by phone camera (Huawei Y 6) with phone eyepiece adapter , sharpened with GIMP. Anyway your postprocessed Jupiter looks nice :thumbup: :smile: .. (up to now I reached worse results with Jupiter..:frown:

Attachments

• 6C-min.jpg
    6C-min.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 5CC-min.jpg
    5CC-min.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 3C-min.jpg
    3C-min.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 86
Likes collinsmark and Drakkith
bruha said:
Hi,
I send 3 moon images by phone camera (Huawei Y 6) with phone eyepiece adapter , sharpened with GIMP. Anyway your postprocessed Jupiter looks nice :thumbup: :smile: .. (up to now I reached worse results with Jupiter..:frown:
This is a great start! Did you use the 25mm eyepiece? You need a fairly large exit pupil to get best results.

Can you use a timer to take the picture to reduce vibration when you touch the phone to take a pic? I have mine on a 3-second delay so that when I touch the screen to take the picture, the vibrations dampen down before the shutter fires.

I also center the eyepiece over the camera objective by looking through the eyepiece backwards after mounting the camera to the eyepiece. I find the Moon by looking at the diagonal until it is illuminated and then drop the eyepiece/camera assembly into the diagonal. This usually guarantees that the camera is centered over the eyepiece and only minor scope repositioning is required to compose the shot. That color you are getting is due to the camera not being positioned directly over the eyepiece.

The contrast is amazing in your shots! This means you will be taking fabulous pictures in no time when you resolve the minor issues!

Last edited:
The Moon tonight. Finally, clear skies! C-6 with 0.67 flattener/reducer, afocal with 25mm plossl and the iPhone.

D4049EFD-2F02-4740-9F06-0748AFBDE4CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, davenn, Andy Resnick and 1 other person
Hi and thank you for your advises. :frown: My shots are made with |Hyperion eyepiece 8 mm and delay 5 s.
But I have not very good stand and probably due this vibration not dampen within 5 s...
Concerning centering eyepiece: you mean that you look back to eyepiece which is putting out from telescope and camera is switch to backward mode? ( I am probably do not understand properly)

Thank you and have nice days and clear night skies ..:thumbup:

Bru,

like this...
C9597575-8124-470D-9EEF-A9586F0102A2.jpeg

Look through the eyepiece backwards and center the camera that you see when the cameraphone is mounted to your adapter.

Andy Resnick said:
Horsehead and Flame nebulae, 3h observing time:

View attachment 265494
Was this taken with <1 minute subs?

Hi and thank you for explanation, now I understand.. :thumbup: :frown: