Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
4 degrees F here with lows forecast to be -19 degrees F for the next couple nights. I' so looking forward to summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
4 degrees F here with lows forecast to be -19 degrees F for the next couple nights. I' so looking forward to summer.
When you(us) will be complaining it's too hot.

WWGD said:
When you(us) will be complaining it's too hot.
I don't think I'll ever complain about it being too hot again.

• Skeptical
Likes collinsmark, WWGD, Bystander and 1 other person
WWGD said:
Wonder if PF would be interested in obscure math/science/STEM jokes.
I heard one from a Statistician friend, who had to explain it to me:

" He's as phony as a 6x6 Greco-Latin square",
An impossible experimental design. I suspect even many Statisticians won't get it. I'm halfway one and didn't get it.
Guess that's a no? I have a Cadlag , but I can't afford the gasoline!

Working from home today and watching a teenager trying to get ready to move his car that he abandoned diagonally in the snow last night. No gloves or shovel and attempting to clear the snow with his tennis shoes. Our neighbor finally loaned him a shovel. Can't wait to see how he attempts to apply physics when he gets in the car and tries to climb the same hill that he couldn't climb last night.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
Ha, I like Brits. There was a story about this British prof that had an emergency and had to be absent for a couple of weeks, and had chosen a grad student to sub in for him. The graduate sub in sat in the last class before the prof left , asked several questions. The prof, feigning outrage, told him: " Ah, if you know so much, why don't _you_ teach the class?" The student replied " Okay", stood up, picked up the chalk and continued teaching the class, and went on to teach for the ensuing weeks.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
Just what is it with these people who call you, you miss the call but call them back in 25 seconds and they're yet not available?

Thought for today:
When looping through records and performing a count of something in those records, incrementing the count by zero doesn't work. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
The first snowfall of the season is Mother Nature's version of a pop physics exam.

No passing grade for you.
Jan_2024_Failed_Physics_Exam.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark, nuuskur and BillTre
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Buffet

Bear with me, it'll take me a while to land this plane.

I was in Cuba at a resort last week, at the dinner buffet. This is a big week for French Canadians; the resort was full of them.

An obviously drunk guy stumbled his way into the buffet - by way of over the railing, onto my wife's unoccupied chair and into the sitting area. This really got my shorts in a knot, but he moved on.

He stumbled over to a table where a guy and three girls were eating, and leaned waaaay over to blather some drunken thing in their faces. It looked from where I was sitting like he was propostioning one of the girls, whom I assume he had met earlier and had just caught up with.

The waiter came by and had words with him about his unorthodox entrance, and he stumbled away.

All that is preamble to The Funny Thing.

A half hour later, as I was leaving, I passed their table and I couldn't resist stopping to express my concern. I asked "Did you know that guy? Was he bothering you?"

The four of them looked at me blankly and spoke to each other in French. , I tried to clarify, enunciating: "Er - that guy that came to your table before - he was drunk, and he leaned all over you..." - and I did a mock arm-waving, mauling imitation of him. "What was his problem?"

And as one, all four of them nodded enthusiastically, saying "Yes, yes!" and jumped up, pushing their chairs back to do ... what??

My expression of alarm and hand-waving and backing away must have clued them in that they had misunderstood me. They sat back down and eventually we found some common language to communicate our meaning. Yes, they knew him. Yes, he might have been a bit drunk. Etc.

We parted ways.

But to this day, I cannot help but wonder - what did they think I was saying that caused them to jump up as one and .. I don't know - dance with me? Follow me somewhere? Start a five-way?

I cannot imagine any scenario that would elicit such a reaction.

DaveC426913 said:
Bear with me, it'll take me a while to land this plane.
If there's a bear with you, I'm impressed you can land it at all!

Ibix said:
If there's a bear with you, I'm impressed you can land it at all!
:wink: I verified the correct homophone.

Likes BillTre
That little word "why" is pretty strange.

If you ask 'why' in physics, it will lead you further and further into the rabbit hole. But in mathematics, 'why' is the only way out of the rabbit hole.

Likes Frabjous
Ironically enough, Google is effective, helpful, mostly for those who know what they're looking for. It's just needed to filter from within the often 1,000,000+ search results.

I might have ended up in the wrong room and slept there by mistake while I was really drunk. Sorry...

Khi Choy Xichdu said:
I might have ended up in the wrong room and slept there by mistake while I was really drunk. Sorry...
You, Harold and Kumar too.

Got my new Swiss Knife. Took it out to test it before going up in the elevator. Ended up with 4 wallets on me.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
WWGD said:
You, Harold and Kumar too.
Well, when I was leaving, I was dead certain that it was my room. I had a couple of solid reasons to back up my claim. But now, it turns out someone changed the address and room number. It's really strange because this "room" has apparently been around long before I even knew about it. I feel completely lost in this space.

Likes WWGD
Music stopped to be good when they gave up the concept of cadences.

I'd like to see a restaurant with wings on its menu and below wings having 'Silly Love Songs"

WWGD said:
I'd like to see a restaurant with wings on its menu and below wings having 'Silly Love Songs"
Send KFC an email.

Don't know if this was a joke, but I heard they would not consider knighting Amazon's Jeff Bezos, because it would sound like a beer.

Sir Bezos ~ Cer Vezas = beers.

• Haha
Likes pines-demon
In a span of, let's say, two years, our lives are not filled with an overwhelming number of events. Therefore, if a robot were to undergo training X times, accurately imitating our actions, emotions, and overall essence within that timeframe, it could eventually transform into an entity that closely resembles our own being.

Khi Choy Xichdu said:
In a span of, let's say, two years, our lives are not filled with an overwhelming number of events. Therefore, if a robot were to undergo training X times, accurately imitating our actions, emotions, and overall essence within that timeframe, it could eventually transform into an entity that closely resembles our own being.
I've heard of this idea used in teleportation experiments, to reassemble the person.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
I've been disappointed when seeing what the fights and camping out were all about for Stanley x Starbucks (collab) tumbler bottles (sold at Target) and Rae Dunn pottery (sold at TJ Maxx).

These are just run-of-the-mill water bottles and ceramics, respectively, that even have a bit of a "tacky" cheap look to them at times.

Who knew people would trample over customers, fight, and camp out all night for what looks like dollar store objects?

Q1: He is a scientist. He can dance. He is living in Reno.
Q2: He is not a scientist. He can't dance. He is living in Reno.

If I remove all such words, I can collect 2 sets of the same elements. I need a bag full of prepositions.

Sophisticated management assistant softwares are meant to help untaleneted managers become more talented.

By my observation, they just makes untalented managers become sophisticatedly untalented.

Likes Tom.G and WWGD
Rive said:
Sophisticated management assistant softwares are meant to help untaleneted managers become more talented.

By my observation, they just makes untalented managers become sophisticatedly untalented.
"Pigs can't fly" - a random guy named Mark used to talk to me like that. Heck, I've flown to several places over the last few years.
Yet in your case, "Penguin can't fly but it's a whole new level after upgrade", I'd say.

Likes Rive
Rive said:

That's one thing I liked about Sql, other database software. No matter who you were, if the query is incorrect, it won't run.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
It's 1:13 AM Friday in my area. Anyone here is sharing the same time zone (TZ) with me?
I ask because PF is using a different TZ.

Khi Choy Xichdu said:
It's 1:13 AM Friday in my area. Anyone here is sharing the same time zone (TZ) with me?
I ask because PF is using a different TZ.
You can set your timezone in your PF Profile. Click on USER at the top of the page, and then select Preferences... :smile:

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
berkeman said:
You can set your timezone in your PF Profile. Click on USER at the top of the page, and then select Preferences... :smile:
Or do what I did. The clock on my phone reads:
home - 1924
Detroit - 1324
San Francisco - 1024
New York - 1324
Chicago - 1224
Wellington - 0724
Canberra - 0524
Albuquerque - 1125
Honolulu - 0824

Likes pinball1970 and Khi Choy Xichdu