Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Wonder when the day will come where strings , shoelaces and any loose objects coming out of clothing will disappear. It seems like loose clothing and other loose objects (e.g., chains, watches, shoelaces) getting caught in machinery is one of the main reasons for accidents. I myself will soon change towards Velcro and will aim to buy clothes without "appendages".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel kind of petty; MLK had a dream of the brotherhood of humanity and people being judged by the
content of their character. Me, I just want to be able to watch any show on TV whenever I want . That is my big dream.

WWGD said:
Wonder when the day will come where strings , shoelaces and any loose objects coming out of clothing will disappear. It seems like loose clothing and other loose objects (e.g., chains, watches, shoelaces) getting caught in machinery is one of the main reasons for accidents. I myself will soon change towards Velcro and will aim to buy clothes without "appendages".
Actually inexperienced and too careless, causes for the accidents.

Nice pictures...
http://smashingpicture.com/23-stunning-opera-houses/

example:
opera3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes OmCheeto
Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
Silicon Waffle said:
Actually inexperienced and too careless, causes for the accidents.

Of course, but you cannot keep track of everything that happens around you all the time, so it seems like a good idea to remove
causes of problems that you can remove.

Last edited:
Today I tried to remove the rear axle nut from my car. It was really torqued on there, I couldn't break it with a 1/2 drive breaker bar 2 feet long. So I supplemented that with an eight foot cheater bar. All I accomplished was to sheer off the 1/2 lug where the breaker enters the socket.

A look at an auto forum taught me that people have broken even 3/4 breaker bars trying to loosen this nut. You need an impact wrench or a dedicated tool. It's supposed to be torqued to 250 ft lbs, but some shops go overboard and people have found their axle nut torqued up to 400 ft lbs.

zoobyshoe said:
Today I tried to remove the rear axle nut from my car. It was really torqued on there, I couldn't break it with a 1/2 drive breaker bar 2 feet long. So I supplemented that with an eight foot cheater bar. All I accomplished was to sheer off the 1/2 lug where the breaker enters the socket.

A look at an auto forum taught me that people have broken even 3/4 breaker bars trying to loosen this nut. You need an impact wrench or a dedicated tool. It's supposed to be torqued to 250 ft lbs, but some shops go overboard and people have found their axle nut torqued up to 400 ft lbs.

If you are anywhere as big as your avatar it should be a breeze to "Detorque" the rear axle.

Likes freebeer2morrw
zoobyshoe said:
It's supposed to be torqued to 250 ft lbs, but some shops go overboard and people have found their axle nut torqued up to 400 ft lbs.

impact wrench and air compressor is a good investment.
I just replaced all twenty of my wheel lug nuts because some bonehead laid on his tire shop mega-impact wrench hard enough to deform the threads.
Thank goodness the nuts yielded before the lugs...
I started asking at the tire shops how they torque lugnuts. I trade now at a place where he lubricates and torques them to 80 ft lbs, which is plenty.
Lubrication assures i'll be able to loosen them with my lug wrench on a dark snowy night alongside a boondocks road.

WWGD said:
If you are anywhere as big as your avatar it should be a breeze to "Detorque" the rear axle.
The trouble is I don't have tools as big as my avatar.
jim hardy said:
impact wrench and air compressor is a good investment.
I just replaced all twenty of my wheel lug nuts because some bonehead laid on his tire shop mega-impact wrench hard enough to deform the threads.
Thank goodness the nuts yielded before the lugs...
I started asking at the tire shops how they torque lugnuts. I trade now at a place where he lubricates and torques them to 80 ft lbs, which is plenty.
Lubrication assures i'll be able to loosen them with my lug wrench on a dark snowy night alongside a boondocks road.
80 ft lbs sounds about right for where I found my lug nuts the first time I undid them. I had to stand on the lug wrench and bounce. This axle nut is on the big side, 36mm, torqued to hell and back, and every do-it-yourselfer who tackles it has problems breaking their tools on it. There's one dedicated gizmo that's less than $15 which everyone whose tried it has said worked. I'll try that first.

I tend to think most of those guys go overboard with their impact wrenches. Possibly, possibly to force you to take your car back there to be serviced when you find you can't undo any of your fasteners. That's bogus that they deformed your nuts. I mean the threads on your nuts. Your wheel nuts. I mean.

So, also, the price of eggs:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102301950

I paid $3.79 for a dozen large eggs today at a store where the same used to cost under $2. At another store I can buy a whole cooked chicken for $5.00. It's like, as if a dozen gallons of milk cost 75% of what a whole cow would cost.

Chickens have it tough too, these days.

Last edited:
Reading a friend's status gave me a good laugh!:oldlaugh:

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
All I accomplished was to sheer off the 1/2 lug where the breaker enters the socket.
with no torn tissue?

A moth, flame bound.

Strange disappearance of a star...

WWGD said:
Of course, but you cannot keep track of everything that happens around you all the time, so it seems like a good idea to remove
causes of problems that you can remove.
:DD I still remember my first steps into life, I actually always give people chances to survive although now and then they always act ridiculously against me. Why do I have to remove things from which I can support my own stand ? :D

Last edited:
zoki85 said:
Strange disappearance of a star...
Look in your coat pocket.

I am undecided on cooking at home as a way of saving money. Cooking for one does not seem
to allow for the economies of scale that cooking for larget groups allows for, by, e.g., buying in bulk.
And turning the stove on to cook for just one does not seem to help either. I guess it may make more sense
to cook at home ( or prepare something to take with me) may make sense for dinner, since there are very
few if any dinner specials out there. Seems like relationships have economic advantages to them and loners
like myself must be willing to (literaaly, at least) pay a higher price.

February fits rather squarely on this year's calendar though I wouldn't mind if it didn't and just omitted this sorry excuse for a day.
:headbang:

February is the Monday of months.

I am opening up a bid on the collection of days, for the best day of my life. Hoping they will fight it out.

collinsmark said:
February is the Monday of months.
did you know, that you sleep the least in February :D

lisab said:
Look in your coat pocket.
Thanks honey, it was there. ..

gold-sheriff-star-badge-with-shadow_142747651.jpg

I think I should put it on again. Folks in my town got to know who is in charge :)

Have you ever been in the track field of airplanes in an airport? I was once there loading stuff in a private jet and there was this pilot practicing in a small military-camouflage colored airplane and oh my god the sound of the turbines was terribly overwhelming. As if the sound was piercing through my skull.

That plane was about 500 feet away from me yet the sound was incredibly loud. But terribly loud I tell you. It felt as if my ears were going to explode. Like really loud. I cannot describe to you with words how loud it was. Like super mega loud.

While I was grinding my teeth, my dad and a worker from that airport were as if nothing was happening. And on my mind I was like: "How can this overwhelming sound not affect them?! :confused: They must be monsters."

Hi :)

Hi :)

Psinter said:
That plane was about 500 feet away from me yet the sound was incredibly loud. But terribly loud I tell you. It felt as if my ears were going to explode. Like really loud. I cannot describe to you with words how loud it was. Like super mega loud.

While I was grinding my teeth, my dad and a worker from that airport were as if nothing was happening. And on my mind I was like: "How can this overwhelming sound not affect them?! :confused: They must be monsters."

Lol... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H
The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run. Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the dual turbines, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews. In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H.

Click on the picture to hear the wav sound... http://www.aviationtrivia.org/Republic-XF-84H.php

Maybe some people actually like that sounds :). I think they are multi-sound listeners .

Ugh...

My second PF retraction*...

Om said:
Astronuc said:
Circuit City to liquidate remaining US stores
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_on_bi_ge/circuit_city_bankruptcy
2009 is starting out rather badly.

Not if you never shopped there in the first place.

Now when Radio Shack goes under, I'm cutting my wrists.

http://abc7.com/business/radioshack-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy/506108/ . :)

Never say never.
Never say always.
etc. etc. etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------
*Yes. I know. There are hundreds more... :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, I learned that getting a Nobel doesn't give you magic oratory powers. Today I learned that my french is non-existent (and aujourd'hui means today).
(was meant to be posted in TIL thread but too seemed too off topic)

Last edited:
I love French but the spelling is really hard!:olduhh:

Lisa! said:
I love French but the spelling is really hard!:olduhh:
Especially names of people and towns.

Just "kind of" made my first turkey pot pie.

er mehr gerhd...

Turkey pot pie. 'Reminds me of PF chat for some reason.

(I think it's because several, regular PF chat participants love turkey pot pie.)