Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,051
nuuskur said:
It's odd. I lack the complete perspective of a mathematician, but from what I have seen, it's the mathematician that cares about the completeness of a proof, it merely existing is not enough.

You guys don't have to mention the joke about the burning hotel room and engineer, physicist and mathematician dealing with the fire :D
How does the physicist deal with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,052
The engineer opens every tap and floods the hotel, but puts out the fire.
The physicist measures out the exact amount of water needed and extinguishes the fire without losing a single drop.
The mathematician feverishly does difficult math in the blazing room and then stands up and screams "Eureka, I proved there is a solution" ...and burns to death.

Likes Abtinnn
  • #1,053
Abtinnn said:
An engineer and a mathematician become roommates. One night, the engineer wakes up, goes to the kitchen, and sees a fire in the kitchen. He finds the fire extinguisher, extinguishes the fire, and goes back to sleep.

The next night the mathematician wakes up, goes to the kitchen, and sees a fire. He looks at the fire extinguisher, he is convinced that the solution exists, and goes back to sleep.

The one I remember is that of a reporter talking with a Mathematician: what you do is so complicated. Then asking: can you explain what you do to your mom?
The Mathematician shouts: I don't do _anything_ to my mom!

Likes Abtinnn
  • #1,054
nuuskur said:
The engineer opens every tap and floods the hotel, but puts out the fire.
The physicist measures out the exact amount of water needed and extinguishes the fire without losing a single drop.
The mathematician feverishly does difficult math in the blazing room and then stands up and screams "Eureka, I proved there is a solution" ...and burns to death.
So, what I understand from this is that physicists write jokes in their spare time.

• #1,055
hah, noone's perfect :D

• #1,056
zoobyshoe said:
So, what I understand from this is that physicists write jokes in their spare time.
...and they're only funny in a vacuum.

Likes nuuskur
  • #1,057
This is just so cute. The guitars are bigger than they are.

Likes lisab
  • #1,058
Evo said:
This is just so cute. The guitars are bigger than they are.

Why did they title it "Creepy as hell"?
Is that newspeak for "cute"?

ps. I've been listening to music videos almost continuously since you posted that.
Dueling Bangos, etc, etc.
I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I ended up listening to Leo.
And I seem to remember, that you liked Leo. :smile:

• #1,059
OmCheeto said:

ps. I've been listening to music videos almost continuously since you posted that.
Dueling Bangos, etc, etc.
I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I ended up listening to Leo.
And I seem to remember, that you liked Leo. :smile:
Love Leo Kotke, you were the one to introduce me to "when shrimps learn to whistle".

• #1,060
Evo said:
Love Leo Kotke, you were the one to introduce me to "when shrimps learn to whistle".
As I recall, it was you, that showed me, 7 years ago, that PF wasn't just a nerdly smart place to hang out, but also, had musical class.

ps. Is it just me, or does YouTube now auto continue on, for everyone, to the next video of what they think you want to listen to next.
It's quite annoying, sometimes.
Sometimes, not.
People whine about the NSA, but I think YouTube can read my mind!

• #1,061
My Moroccan friend just realized that juice concentrate ( in Arabic) does not translate into "focused juice".

• #1,062
Do you like "Dead can Dance"?

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,063
OmCheeto said:
Is it just me, or does YouTube now auto continue on...
It does for me...

Autoplay.JPG

Uncheck Autoplay... it should stay unchecked as long as you don't exit your browser... seems to, anyway.
It's quite annoying, sometimes.
It's always annoying for me... lol

Last edited:
  • #1,064
Got to remember to check that th #$% bathroom is working _before_ ordering a double espresso. Powerful diuretic --doubled --and non-working
bathroom: not a good combination.

• #1,065
Enigman said:
deed16aacf34d7e2e63546368a5455139df754b006fa24efc56886f68b469866.jpg
[*]

Haha, OK, Barney and Evo. Maybe we should all walk around in moo-moo s.

• #1,066
OmCheeto said:
I had the same thought! I mean, there are plenty of things about North Korea that are creepy as hell. But cute kids playing guitars?! Didn't even score a "1" on my 1-to-10 creep scale. They are adorable!

Likes OmCheeto and Evo
  • #1,067
There are very few things in life that I play the gender card on. I change tires, deal with spiders, mow the lawn, take out the trash. The one thing I seriously use my gender to get out of: setting mouse traps.

We live on a farm and we do get mice when my cat gets lazy. She's old, so I give her a pass.

My husband is working long, long, too dang long hours lately...and guess what? We have a mouse. And I can't, I just do it! I can't set the trap!

No it's not the death of the mouse that I fret about. It's the trap itself. They scare the bejeezus out of me! I think you need really strong hands to hold the spring. And if it slips, SNAP and your finger is broken!

Dang I should have put this in First World Problems, maybe.

• #1,068
lisab said:
It's the trap itself. They scare the bejeezus out of me! I think you need really strong hands to hold the spring. And if it slips, SNAP and your finger is broken!
Dang. How big are the mice to need that kind of spring constant?

• #1,069
WWGD said:
Got to remember to check that th #$% bathroom is working _before_ ordering a double espresso. Powerful diuretic --doubled --and non-working
bathroom: not a good combination.
One of the Starbucks in my vicinity has a habit of doing their end-of-day bathroom cleaning about 3 hours before closing, and putting it off limits for the duration due to the wet floor. I feel like saying, "Are you kidding? You sell people a diuretic and then tell them they can't use the bathroom??"

• #1,070
SO... is the beliebing of mentors voluntary or did Greg do this?

• #1,071
Enigman said:
I don't know what you're talking about :biggrin:

• #1,072
Enigman said:
It's "biebering" not "beliebing." Infinitive: to bieber. Gerund: biebering

• #1,073
Superman just flew by my house and he had Batman in an armlock, swear to god!

• #1,074
nuuskur said:
Hope he was wearing the Justice Buster ?

• #1,075
nuuskur said:
I'm bowled over and will probably not ever recover from my extreme surprise.

• #1,076
Mentors. They all look the same to me.

justin_ava_af.png

• #1,077
zoobyshoe said:
It's "biebering" not "beliebing." Infinitive: to bieber. Gerund: biebering
It is beliebe.
Beliebe (verb) :
to have confidence or faith in Beiber.

• #1,078
Enigman said:
It is beliebe.
Beliebe (verb) :
to have confidence or faith in Beiber.
Who is Beiber?

• #1,079
The dyslexic wonderland version of Bieber. Here, E always comes before I.

• #1,080
Did you ever watch the Russian Sherlock Holmes's on YouTube? There are two different ones. They're a trip.

• #1,081
Just in time to see mentors change their avatars to Justin. I'm not a fan of his music.

• #1,082
Silicon Waffle said:
Just in time to see mentors change their avatars to Justin. I'm not a fan of his music.
We can safely conclude you are not a teenage girl.

• #1,083
lisab said:
I had the same thought! I mean, there are plenty of things about North Korea that are creepy as hell. But cute kids playing guitars?! Didn't even score a "1" on my 1-to-10 creep scale. They are adorable!
Maybe he couldn't think clearly after listening to some Bieber music --if you can stretch the word music. With all the dogs barking (maybe puking) when listening to it.

• #1,084
zoobyshoe said:
Did you ever watch the Russian Sherlock Holmes's on YouTube? There are two different ones. They're a trip.
I have tried a few of Livanov's episodes but none of the other ones. Livanov was surprisingly good at the role but the language barrier turned me off after a two or three episodes.

• #1,085
Watching Silicon Waffle Avatar reminds me of an incident when I was small.

A monkey came in our home as the door was opened. I and my brother being frightened hid behind a room's door.

The monkey was freely roaming in the hall. We called for the apartment's watchman by phone and locked our room in frightment.

When someone knocked our room's door, we thought it was monkey , but by voice recognized it was the watchmen. He said the monkey was nowhere.

When we opened the door, an almond's jar was missing. The next day we found the jar empty lying on a floor above us.:smile: