Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,086
Enigman said:
I have tried a few of Livanov's episodes but none of the other ones. Livanov was surprisingly good at the role but the language barrier turned me off after a two or three episodes.
I agree. I couldn't watch for very long because of the language thing, but it's extremely interesting to see the attempt to portray the British characters and culture by Russians.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
  • #1,088
Expedition Unknown

This is a show on the Travel Channel where the host travels all over the world in search of Interesting artifacts whose story has come down through history but whose current whereabouts are unknown. He's tackled Amelia Ehrhart's plane, and a samurai sword considered the best ever made which disappeared after WWII, among other things. Tonight is the season I finale, but they rerun all the episodes in mini-marathons a couple times a week.

• #1,089
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas woman who became the world's oldest person Wednesday wants President Barack Obama to attend her 117th birthday party this Fourth of July.
http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-woman-now-worlds-oldest-person-wants-obama-225358176.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,090
Just saw someone whose face looks like a cartoon. Not like a human version of a cartoon, but like an actual cartoon. Pretty surreal, and I was not on anything, not even cold medication.

I wonder if the whole Bieber thing here had to see with the roast he received in comedy central.

• #1,091
Imagination doesn't take me anywhere in real life at all. I recognize it via face-to-face and email chats with my arseholes.
Even after my house owner changes the roof, I am still a cleaner. It's a scientific truth :oldbiggrin:.
Until the roof is totally changed, I really wish to beg people to stop talking about what is what in the future.
I love this house and want to clean up the mess as a hired cleaner.
I am not thinking about leaving. :oldsmile:

• #1,092
Raghav Gupta said:
Watching Silicon Waffle Avatar reminds me of an incident when I was small...A monkey ...missing. The next day we found the jar empty lying on a floor above us.:smile:
:oldsmile: Except this random thread, I don't have any idea that I think is best fitted anywhere. So I can't post so much to intensify people's emotions and eyestrain while reading my blah blah.
I am glad you didn't get injured by the monkey. :oldwink:

• #1,093
Lo and behold, ad bots have come out of hibernation.

• #1,094
And so have telemarketers. You would think that the "Do Not Call" list would mean something (this was something implemented in the USA), but it seems to be ignored lately. I get telemarketing calls every day now. <Explicative derogatory and hostile term here>.

• #1,096
Retired Japanese Fighter Pilot Sees an Old Danger on the Horizon
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/04/w...-pilot-sees-an-old-danger-on-the-horizon.html

Kaname Harada - “I realized the war had turned me into a killer of men, and that was not the kind of person I wanted to be.”

He said the nightmares finally ended when he found a new calling by opening a kindergarten in Nagano in 1965. He said he was able to alleviate the pangs of guilt by dedicating himself to teaching young children the value of peace. While he has now retired, he said he still visits the school every day he can to see the children’s smiling faces.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,097
Paper is not dead yet...

Likes Silicon Waffle, zoobyshoe and OmCheeto
  • #1,098
The other day, while watching a TV show from 1957, I discovered the evolutionary trigger to human speech.
A man was serving his wife some coffee in bed, and she asked; "I wonder what people did before coffee".
And her husband responded; "They probably didn't speak".
:biggrin:

The wife later killed her husband. It was an episode of "Alfred HItchcock Presents". Season 2, episode 34.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,099
River Monsters
S7|Ep 1
Reports of a 20-foot beast in a Canadian lake are investigated in the Season 7 premiere.

Tonight on Animal Planet

(I'm pretty sure that means the beast measures 20 feet in length rather than that it has 20 feet.)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,100
zoobyshoe said:
River Monsters
S7|Ep 1
Reports of a 20-foot beast in a Canadian lake are investigated in the Season 7 premiere.

Tonight on Animal Planet

(I'm pretty sure that means the beast measures 20 feet in length rather than that it has 20 feet.)

One of your lost (avatar?) relatives?

• #1,101
Yikes: I realized when I returned from a walk that I had left the stove on. I was not cooking anything, so
I think I may have accidentally turned on the knob while hanging out in the kitchen, which is around 4.5' x 4.5'
luckily I paid enough attention to see the light on and to notice the extra heat in the kitchen.

• #1,103
WWGD said:
One of your lost (avatar?) relatives?
No. Not to spoil it, but, spoiling it, it turns out Jeremy thinks the beast was a misidentification of some muskies swimming in a group. Muskies are large fish, Jeremy caught a four-footer himself, and they are known to bite people now and then.

Back in the 1980's a girlfriend I had took me to her parents summer home on a lake in rural Minnesota. She pretty much ruined my swimming enjoyment with tales of people getting bitten by muskies.
WWGD said:
Yikes: I realized when I returned from a walk that I had left the stove on. I was not cooking anything, so
I think I may have accidentally turned on the knob while hanging out in the kitchen, which is around 4.5' x 4.5'
luckily I paid enough attention to see the light on and to notice the extra heat in the kitchen.
You have an electric stove? Mine is gas and you can't turn it on without producing a repeating clicking noise.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,104
I can't avoid feeling annoyed by the title of the show " Unsolved Mysteries" ( and the content is mostly garbage) .If it is solved, it is definitely not a mistery any more, so it must be unsolved. But I can't find a better name: Mysteries?

• #1,105
WWGD said:
If it is solved, it is definitely not a mistery any more...
But if it once was a mystery, can we not communicate that fact by calling it a "solved mystery?" I think we can. And by that logic, we can communicate that a mystery still remains a mystery at the current time by calling it an "unsolved mystery."

• #1,106
I am reminded of a schoolmate who insisted that there was no such thing as a UFO because once you had realized that you couldn't identify it then you had identified it as a UFO and it was no longer Unidentified...

Likes DennisN
  • #1,107
"Former mysteries that got solved a while back" has a nice ring to it.
As an extra it will the confuse the *** out of some people.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,108
Or for the unsolved ones, how about the title of, "Things Which Might One Day Be Called 'Former Mysteries' But Are Not Called That Just Yet."

Likes DennisN and WWGD
  • #1,109
collinsmark said:
Or for the unsolved ones, how about the title of, "Things Which Might One Day Be Called 'Former Mysteries' But Are Not Called That Just Yet."

Perfect! Just rolls directly of your tongue.

• #1,110
Ex-Mysteries for the solved ones and X-Mysteries for the unsolved ones?

• #1,111
Ibix said:
and then upend a "you know?" at the end. Just remembering a weird professor who spoke like that --and constantly had a toothpick in his mouth.

• #1,112
Ibix said:
I am reminded of a schoolmate who insisted that there was no such thing as a UFO because once you had realized that you couldn't identify it then you had identified it as a UFO and it was no longer Unidentified...
Lol... Interesting.

• #1,113
Ibix said:

Wasn't it the same person who said : "you cannot say the name Jehovah"?

• #1,114
Ibix said:
And that reminds me of one of my own petty grievances: books and videos which have titles like "The Unknown/Untold Story of [insert whatever here]". It has always annoyed me - if the story is unknown/untold, how did the author get to know about it? I certainly don't believe all stories with such titles are pure original research...:smile:

EDIT: And furthermore such a story can't be unknown since the author knows about it. And after the first reader/viewer have read/viewed the story, it's no longer untold. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,115
DennisN said:
And that reminds me of one of my own petty grievances: books and videos which have titles like "The Unknown/Untold Story of [insert whatever here]". It has always annoyed me - if the story is unknown/untold, how did the author get to know about it? I certainly don't believe all stories with such titles are pure original research...:smile:

EDIT: And furthermore such a story can't be unknown since the author knows about it. And after the first reader/viewer have read/viewed the story, it's no longer untold. :biggrin:
So, what better term do you suggest?

• #1,116
zoobyshoe said:
So, what better term do you suggest?
I have no better suggestion, it's just a petty grievance, something I find both mildly annoying and entertaining at the same time :smile:. Actually I also think such titles may sound pretty cool, but I can't help myself from thinking about the paradoxical nature of such titles.

• #1,117
DennisN said:
I have no better suggestion, it's just a petty grievance, something I find both mildly annoying and entertaining at the same time :smile:. Actually I also think such titles may sound pretty cool, but I can't help myself from thinking about the paradoxical nature of such titles.

A catchy alternative: the heretofore unknown/secret ...

While we're at it, how about references to the past and future: e.g.: in the past I made mistakes... of course, you cannot make refer to mistakes made in the future, and, in the present, if you are aware you are making them , you correct it. Or, in the future, I will... Of course, you cannot plan to do something in the past.

And the patriotic commercial about the army: ...we owe it to them, they fight for our our country in times of war...

Right, I don't think they really need to fight during times of peace.

Last edited:
  • #1,118
What is this thread about, really ? :confused:

• #1,119
Entropy.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,120
Unsolved entropy.