Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,521
lisab said:
I was just listening to a cover of Bob Dylan's. "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", by by Ramblin' Jack Elliot.

The original lyric is,
But Elliot sang that last line as,
That first word -- "if'n". Now, *that* is straight-up, ol' time American slang!

Here's the recording I was listening to:

Wow, Dylan wrote it in 1963. The year I was born.

Oh boy you are younger than i thought, are you free for a date:biggrin:

Likes lisab, Silicon Waffle and nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,522
Same issue when I use either honey or brown sugar as a sweetener in my coffee. Barely sweetens for the most part , even when using a lot, and then the very last drop is perfectly sweetened, making me wish the whole cup had tasted like that.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,524
I got a flu shot this past week. I strongly recommend getting a flu shot, rather the contracting the illness.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,525
Astronuc said:
I got a flu shot this past week. I strongly recommend getting a flu shot, rather the contracting the illness.
Good luck convincing the anti-vaxxers.

• #2,526
Will start doing more cooking , both oven and pan, in Fall and Winter; heat from cooking helps keep place warm , so can use lower heat, at last for a few hours after done cooking.

• #2,527
MaKayla Dyer killed only three weeks after her 8th birthday by an 11-year-old boy over a puppy.
The boy used his father’s 12-gauge shotgun, which he got from an unlocked closet, according to the sheriff. He fired at her from his house Saturday, killing the girl who was in her yard, . . . .

So what to do with a juvenile who simply kills someone with whom he has a disagreement?

What to do about adults who are irresponsible and allow children access to guns when the children accidentally or deliberately kill someone?

http://ktla.com/2015/10/08/tennesse...fused-to-let-him-see-her-puppy-sheriffs-dept/

Requiring that folks put their guns under lock or otherwise secure from misuse would be a start, but it won't bring MaKayla or other children back.

• #2,528
Astronuc said:
MaKayla Dyer killed only three weeks after her 8th birthday by an 11-year-old boy over a puppy.
The boy used his father’s 12-gauge shotgun, which he got from an unlocked closet, according to the sheriff. He fired at her from his house Saturday, killing the girl who was in her yard, . . . .

So what to do with a juvenile who simply kills someone with whom he has a disagreement?

What to do about adults who are irresponsible and allow children access to guns when the children accidentally or deliberately kill someone?

http://ktla.com/2015/10/08/tennesse...fused-to-let-him-see-her-puppy-sheriffs-dept/

Requiring that folks put their guns under lock or otherwise secure from misuse would be a start, but it won't bring MaKayla or other children back.

Deja Vu all over again, sadly.

• #2,529
Logistics for getting work done did not go as expected. Need to redraw.

• #2,530
Astronuc said:

I had a flu shot and it made me ill, i am one of the lucky ones i hardy ever have a cold if i do it only lasts a day or so.

• #2,531
wolram said:
I had a flu shot and it made me ill, i am one of the lucky ones i hardy ever have a cold if i do it only lasts a day or so.
I usually get a cold once per Fall/Winter , but last two years I did not get one somehow.

• #2,532
wolram said:
My wife had the flu one year and ended up with pneumonia that lasted 3 weeks. We decided to get our shots every year after that.

• #2,533
I found a renegade eyebrow hair the other day and decided to counteract this aging insult by buying the mature man's hair grooming kit with the stylized eyebrow grooming attachment.

Now I have no left eyebrow and a very bushy right eyebrow

Likes wolram
  • #2,534
DiracPool said:
I found a renegade eyebrow hair the other day and decided to counteract this aging insult by buying the mature man's hair grooming kit with the stylized eyebrow grooming attachment.

Now I have no left eyebrow and a very bushy right eyebrow

hmmm... Might be a good look for Halloween.
An avant-garde version of the Clockwork Orange eyelash theme, perhaps?

For my eyebrows, I've always just used a small pair of very sharp scissors.
My older brother used to make fun of the fact that I trimmed my eyebrows.
I told him I was disguising the fact that I was a Mentat.

dune.mentat.eyebrows.jpg

• #2,535
  • #2,536
Doing work at coffee shops suspended for now. Back to working at home.

• #2,537
So you have an espresso machine at home?

• #2,538
DiracPool said:
So you have an espresso machine at home?
No, I use a Chai mix. But I do drop by the local coffee shop, relax, get buzzed , then go back home. That somehow has changed things so that I automatically relax when I hang out in a coffee shop.

• #2,539
WWGD said:
No, I use a Chai mix

Chai mix? What is that you fluffy organic hippie? I like my coffee strong and with no creamer :wink:

WWGD said:
That somehow has changed things so that I automatically relax when I hang out in a coffee shop.

I used to relax at the coffee shop and get "buzzed" back in the day when they had cybercafes, but now it's just easier to blast by a drive-through barista stand in the morning and get back to my laptop at home

Likes WWGD
  • #2,540
DiracPool said:
Chai mix? What is that you fluffy organic hippie? I like my coffee strong and with no creamer :wink:

No, it is just a very quick way of making a caffeinated drink. Also, the fact that it is cold, means I can slurp it in a few seconds and so it goes into my system almost immediately. Usually one nurses a hot drink ( at least I do), if only because it is too hot to gulp it down.

• #2,541
WWGD said:
No, it is just a very quick way of making a caffeinated drink. Also, the fact that it is cold, means I can slurp it in a few seconds and so it goes into my system almost immediately.

Sounds intriguing. Unfortunately, the last thing I need as a recovering party animal is a mechanism to deliver drugs to my system "immediately" o0)

I don't slurp, I sip (these days).

• #2,542
I inevitably slurp, because the liquid is hot

• #2,543
nuuskur said:
I inevitably slurp, because the liquid is hot

So you're a hot slurper? Doesn't that burn your throat?

• #2,544
I've made a lot of friends over my lifetime, and not many of them still call me. I always think that if I haven't talked to somebody I knew in the past for a few years, they obviously must be DEAD. But that ends up rarely being the case. Do you guys have the same experience? (btw, "guys" includes gurls, too, it's a generic term)

• #2,545
DiracPool said:
I've made a lot of friends over my lifetime, and not many of them still call me. I always think that if I haven't talked to somebody I knew in the past for a few years, they obviously must be DEAD. But that ends up rarely being the case. Do you guys have the same experience? (btw, "guys" includes gurls, too, it's a generic term)
Maybe some lost your phone number, it may be easier to keep contact by email, tho it is not easy to do , obviously, after you lose track of them. OF course, email is a little colder than having an actual conversation.

• #2,546
I think it's inevitable that a persons friend base shrinks over the years, especially when everyone reaches adulthood. Life takes over. I'm in my mid-20's and out of the few dozen friends from high school/junior high, I have periodic contact with perhaps 4-5 of them. Also, friendship is a two-way street, meaning you have to call them occasionally.

• #2,547
KiggenPig said:
I think it's inevitable that a persons friend base shrinks over the years, especially when everyone reaches adulthood. Life takes over. I'm in my mid-20's and out of the few dozen friends from high school/junior high, I have periodic contact with perhaps 4-5 of them. Also, friendship is a two-way street, meaning you have to call them occasionally.

Try being in your mid-40's like me. You are right, though, I think this is the unfortunate consequence of "relationship entropy." I'm as guilty as anyone else. I think my guilt may come from the fact that I didn't reach the high ascension I thought I would achieve in later life. I always thought I would be someone special and important and that I would give something back to my childhood friends (high school and college) who made me feel important. I feel I fell short of that and I am embarrassed to try to contact them.

Trivial, I know, but our brains are ruled by (sometimes) irrational emotions.

• #2,548
So, American Horror Story: Hotel just about put me to sleep. It was unmitigated gore with no sympathetic characters.

The good news is that A&E has a new miniseries called The Enfield Haunting, which is actually well done. The plot is nothing new, it's much like the film Poltergeist, but they make all the characters sympathetic and realistic.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,549
Still liking the show " New Adventures of old Christine" , but I have watched enough episodes that reruns are starting to kick in. Wish it was easier to produce these episodes so that there would be maybe even 1000 different ones, repeats/reruns less likely. Incredibly, it seems, most sitcoms seem to put out only around 20 a year. Seinfeld put out 190 episodes in some 9 years. And this Christine (meaninng Julia Dreyfuss) from the "New Adventures" has succeeded in a major way in like three consecutive shows, including Seinfeld. O top of that, she was born into a family of billionaires. Your typical " Riches to Riches" story, I guess.

• #2,550
October is the best time of the year. Midway through the semester, CFL and NFL seasons are going, MLB playoffs, and best of all the NHL season starts. Hockey is a religion in our family; we are stereotypical Canadians.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,551
DiracPool said:
So you're a hot slurper? Doesn't that burn your throat?
No, when you slurp you don't pull the tea or coffee or what ever in your mouth in large quantities. The small stream gets to cool a little.

• #2,552
KiggenPig said:
October is the best time of the year. Midway through the semester, CFL and NFL seasons are going, MLB playoffs, and best of all the NHL season starts. Hockey is a religion in our family; we are stereotypical Canadians.

I hate commercial sports, I think watching them is a waste of time. I feel a bit of a hypocrite because I am at the moment wearing a Seattle Seahawks shirt. But that's only because it was the cleanest shirt I could find. The only time I watch sports is if the Seahawks (or Mariners) make the finals. Then I'll watch and get behind it because the parties out in the bars are lot more fun if we win. But that's the only reason I get behind it, not because I really care about the sport.

When I was 11 years old, I was very much into sports. We used to get the paper delivered and one of my favorite things to do was to look at the current standings of my favorite sport teams. So that lasted about one year. When I was 12 I got interested in girls and became the roller rink king. When I was 13 I got into surfing because the roller rink thing was "old hat" and not cool anymore. Being a surfer was cool.

So that's that. What's my point? My point is that adults who are sports fans are cases of arrested development (IMHO:redface:). Mentally, they stopped aging at age 11 and there they stayed. Some of us have moved on, though

I also feel the same about video gamers. Big waste of time. I actually used to write video games for the 6502 processor back in the early 80's if you can believe it or not. I was 14 at the time to keep up with the chronology. So I became a computer nerd after the surfer thing. Although I was still surfing at the time. I never actually quit surfing until I moved inland. But I digress.

In any case, I just recently built a new computer a couple days ago. AMD FX630 processor, ASUS M5A97 LE r2.0 motherboard, 8 gigs of DDR3 1600 RAM (G-skill "ripjaws":))), and a high airflow (HAF912) Coolermaster case. I got the whole package for $280 bucks off Newegg. If the rig holds up for the next 2 weeks I will redeem the rebates which will knock down that price a further 40 bucks making it a $240 rig.

Of course, I had to "cannibalize" the components of my old system to make this work, particularly the 3 SATA hard drives, the power supply, and the video card, which (don't laugh) is an NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS. (I told you I wasn't a gamer) So why did I assemble a gaming rig, you might ask? (Although an extremely budget minded gaming rig). Because I like power. I miss the days of overclocking when you had to use your ingenuity to get a few more thousand Hz out of your CPU or video card in order to make some application run more smoothly. That was fun. I think we hit a plateau with the INTEL Core2Duo where overclocking wasn't really necessary anymore. At least for the things I was doing. The gamers, however, kept Moore's law alive as they always strive for higher and higher frame rates. This is a good thing, but the only frame rates I need these days are to watch "Terminator Genysis 3D" on my 40 inch Samsung 3D TV.

Speaking of which, I'm sure my old build with the Core2Duo would have handled Terminator Genysis 3D just fine. So why did I get a new rig you might ask (if you're still readning this)? That's because my old rig took a dump. I took it to the local repair shop and they told me it was a short on my motherboard, the ASUS P5B-E. What?! That almost never happens. I was sure it was my power supply unit but they tested it and it checked out fine. Guess what, though? I just fired up my new rig a couple of days ago and (after going through the BIOS setup) Windows popped up immediately. I couldn't believe it. Technology builds almost never work out for me the first time, I was amazed. I was even more amazed that I didn't have to re-install windows or the chipset drivers for the new motherboard. It was actually almost creepy.

However, I did notice a high-pitched whine the second I turned on the computer. I thought, OMG, what the F%$# is this? I didn't want to believe it was the PSU because that seemed to check out OK at the repair shop. So I looked online and found this guy who said to take a paper towel core, put it up to my ear and move it around the rig to find out where the whine was coming from. Initially I thought it was coming fro from the motherboard, but sure enough, it was actually coming from the PSU. Damn! So I just ordered a Corsair 500 watt PSU for $49 minus $5 "Promo code" minus $20 rebate (if I get it), so that sets me back $25. Not bad. It's not one of those new fancy "modular" PSU's, but for $25, who cares, right?

Actually, if I had it my way, I'd still be using my old Core2Duo rig. I got immense satisfaction out of not falling for the hype and upgrading my system. The only thing I did upgrade was the operating system to Windows 8 because I had to in 2014 when they stopped supporting Windows XP. To celebrate the occasion I got a new 2 terabyte Seagate Hard Drive also, so that set me back about $250 for the combo. But it worked fine in the old rig; I was planning on using that until they stopped supporting Windows 8 in 2022. See, when you get older you get stingy and hold on to old shirts and old computer builds, I guess.

There's one bright light, though, in this saga. I just got word from my buddy at the computer repair shop that the Oculus Rift VR headset is slated to go public the first quarter of 2016. He has one of the promo "development kits" he uses for 3D CADCAM and video gaming and says it's awesome. So I guess my instinct to go for a new gaming rig may pay off after all. I was planning on getting a geforce 750ti for this new build to keep the price down so that I could buy a 3D monitor. However, I think I'm going to sit on my heels with the geforce 8800 until the Oculus rift come out. The chatter on the street is that you're going to need a geforce 970 to run the Rift.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3046376/tech-forecast/oculus-rifts-pc-requirements-are-virtual-realitys-achilles-heel

That probably goes for the Rift's competitors also, such as HTC's Vive and Sony's Morpheus.

• #2,553
nuuskur said:
No, when you slurp you don't pull the tea or coffee or what ever in your mouth in large quantities. The small stream gets to cool a little.
Then I think we are using the term 'slurp' differently.

• #2,554
Finally up before the dawn, but still not moving on.

• #2,555
:H << morning yawn!