Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Maybe the point is that I am not executing well-enough or just enough. But that is what I was told. Thinking must stop at some point and acting must then follow. Still too much of the old approach. Need to shake myself up to avoid having things of this or any similar sort happenning again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
What? I also thought it means accidentally.
I suspect you both just got casualty and casually mixed up. "Casually" is the adverbial form of "casual":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/casual

But a "casualty," with a "t" is a completely different word.
If you see any other terrible grammar or vocab mistake in my posts I'll be grateful if you correct me.
OK.

But why do I feel like he isn't really "innocent"? I just don't care who he actually is. But I need to know who he is. I will be sticky till I can confirm the truth.

Sophia said:
yes, that must be it :flashlight:
You post this right after my doubtful post, which makes me think you are clarifying my doubt :biggrin:
Don't do that, I would like to find it out on my own. :woot:

Last edited:
Silicon Waffle said:
You post this right after my doubtful post, which makes me think you are clarifying my doubt :biggrin:
Don't do that, I would like to find it out on my own. :woot:

Listen to the Signs of Destiny. It whispers to you in the Song of the Wind.:music:
... and through mysterious internet posts. :wink:

Silicon Waffle said:
It's cruel of people to have made use of it to lay a bomb on me and an innocent man.
Silicon Waffle said:
But why do I feel like he isn't really "innocent"? I just don't care who he actually is. But I need to know who he is. I will be sticky till I can confirm the truth.
I'm totally lost here.
zoobyshoe said:
I suspect you both just got casualty and casually mixed up. "Casually" is the adverbial form of "casual":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/casual

But a "casualty," with a "t" is a completely different word.

OK.
It must have been that. In my mind I translated it to mean coincidence. And speaking of translations:

Nice try German:
funny-translator-German-hug-sacrifice.jpg

:oldlaugh:

Likes collinsmark, zoobyshoe and Sophia
Fenris said:
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know if your question has been fully answered. I am not going to read through 27 pages of posts. So if I am redundant, just ignore my post.

This Link might prove helpful. http://studyacrossthepond.com/uk-vs-us-degrees

The major difference between the UK and the States appears to be in their approach to undergraduate and graduate studies in college. It appears that both countries begin undergraduate studies at about the same level, so that would point to both educational systems being similar with respect to the material covered prior to college/university.

From that point forward the UK has a shorter term BS degree program of about 3 years versus the typical 4-year program in the US. The difference is that the US adds additional courses as requirements that are outside the realm of the student's desired degree. It is called a liberal arts degree, whereas the UK is more focused on courses directly relating to the student's degree, thus shaving a year off of the BS, another year off the Masters Degree (1 year versus 2 in the US), but I think there are two types of Masters Degrees in the UK (MA - 1 year and MS - 2 year). The US is typically 2 years and designated MS.

PhDs are more varied, but can be done in 2 years in the US and more individual research focused.

The method of learning is a little different. In the US we get class or lecture time followed by homework assignments and lab work if the class requires it. The student is expected to do what is necessary to learn the material and demonstrate competence with it with their homework, quiz and exam scores.

The UK tends to add tutorial sessions with smaller groups of students and a tutor to research the subject. We might have informal study groups in the US, but most students do this on their own and seek help if they feel they need it. Teacher's Assistants (TAs) help students in the US with questions outside the lecture or in some cases may actually lecture or run the lab courses.

I think the advantage of the US system is that you get a little more robust education in that it extends beyond your major at the expense of more time. My major, for instance, was biology, but I was required to take courses in writing composition, art appreciation, and other unrelated subjects. Years later I have come to appreciate those courses as it makes my understanding of the world more rounded.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
@A.Gene, so many members here.
My clothes were bought during my college days (10-15 years ago), I have kept them until now. I know not so many people would do that. some were bought 2-3 years ago. I don't go out around much so I rarely put them on. :smile:

Psinter said:
I'm totally lost here.
That way can help us start things all over again in a completely different way.

Need to decide: the flexibility of e-books that can be internally searched for phrases, but for which I need to be online to be able to use (so I need to have my laptop with me), or using physical books for which I don't need a connection, so I don't need to carry my laptop with me. .

fresh_42 said:
ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ ராமானுஜன் ஐயங்கார் hasn't had much luck in his life. And what is done today by referring to his summation is really not deserved.
Did his summation converge? Still, there are many different summations, terms associated with/to him. Which one are you referring to?

WWGD said:
Did his summation converge? Still, there are many different summations, terms associated with/to him. Which one are you referring to?
Any that gave us ##-1/12##. How did it leak?

fresh_42 said:
Any that gave us ##-1/12##. How did it leak?
Pop science, I would guess. AFAIK, his work was largely intuitive (and correct) but not rigorous. He meant something with that result but not clear just what. It seems he may not have known himself. But I don't know that much about his life nor his work.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ ராமானுஜன் ஐயங்கார் hasn't had much luck in his life. And what is done today by referring to his summation is really not deserved.

Reading the wiki entry this morning on ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ ராமானுஜன் ஐயங்கார், I can see my former self.
Unfortunately, I didn't die at 32, and...

Looking back
at what I created
when young
I am amazed

Nowadays
I put the laundry in the oven

Likes collinsmark
OmCheeto said:
Reading the wiki entry this morning on ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ ராமானுஜன் ஐயங்கார், I can see my former self.
Unfortunately, I didn't die at 32, and...

Looking back
at what I created
when young
I am amazed

Nowadays
I put the laundry in the oven

Then Évariste Galois, Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi or William Kingdon Clifford won't supply any comfort either.

fresh_42 said:
Then Évariste Galois, Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi or William Kingdon Clifford won't supply any comfort either.
It would appear, that being a genius in maths, is bad for your health.
Slava bogu my 7th grade teacher told me I had cheated on the exam.

I've a backhoe
to dig through these mathematical ditches

Why are you telling me to use a shovel
like everyone else

eff you
maths
and the camel you rode in on

Silicon Waffle said:
My clothes were bought during my college days (10-15 years ago), I have kept them until now. I know not so many people would do that. some were bought 2-3 years ago. I don't go out around much so I rarely put them on.
My clothes are cheap cosplay-like looking. A nurse told me my hair was beautiful and that I looked like a model. I was like: o_O "If she only knew, cheap clothes are doing their job." Lesson of the story: Looks can be deceiving. Not that I intend to deceive, but I'm poor and cheap cosplay-looking clothes is all I can afford. Which in turn makes me wonder: Why are Americans so big? Their shirt Small size is too big for me. And they call it small. EDIT: I don't get it.
Silicon Waffle said:
A new Random Thoughts? Still lost. But I'll still perform the dance of 'starting all over again'.

Dance of joy: Starting all over again
abfe7dd5da5715fac0667e71ff5c6492.gif

Last edited:
Silicon Waffle said:
@A.Gene, so many members here.
My clothes were bought during my college days (10-15 years ago), I have kept them until now. I know not so many people would do that. some were bought 2-3 years ago. I don't go out around much so I rarely put them on. :smile:

I have my dad's jacket, that he wore when he was 16, in my closet.
It is 72 years old.

I tried it on one day, and the zipper broke. :H

I'm reading a book by Stephen King called Mr. Mercedes. I've gotten about 250 pages into it and not one supernatural thing has happened. It seems to be a straightforward murder mystery, and damned if it isn't one of the best things he's ever written. He should just drop the horror and write like this from now on.

Likes 1oldman2
zoobyshoe said:
I'm reading a book by Stephen King called Mr. Mercedes. I've gotten about 250 pages into it and not one supernatural thing has happened. It seems to be a straightforward murder mystery, and damned if it isn't one of the best things he's ever written. He should just drop the horror and write like this from now on.

I'm reading a book, written about 100 years ago. (1931)
I think it might be called a "biographical" book, as the author interviewed a somewhat old woman (74), and transcribed her words, via an interpreter.

This book is not as good as "The Martian", as the language in this book is somewhat old.
But it is not nearly as bad as the book "Endless Forms Most Beautiful", which I finished 3 days ago, as it is full of terms and phrases which only a 1st term biology student can comprehend.

Psinter said:
. Which in turn makes me wonder: Why are Americans so big? Their shirt Small size is too big for me. And they call it small. EDIT: I don't get it.Dance of joy: Starting all over again
abfe7dd5da5715fac0667e71ff5c6492.gif
Maybe you should look at the size of the small portions of food in the fast food places in the U.S for an answer. Small portions today are around twice as large as they were some 30 years ago. Tho I don't know if this is a cause, an effect or maybe a bit of each.

Last edited:
I thought the Green Manalishi was a vegetarian plate but it seems like it is a song by Judas Priest.

OmCheeto said:
I'm reading a book, written about 100 years ago. (1931)
I think it might be called a "biographical" book, as the author interviewed a somewhat old woman (74), and transcribed her words, via an interpreter.

This book is not as good as "The Martian", as the language in this book is somewhat old.
But it is not nearly as bad as the book "Endless Forms Most Beautiful", which I finished 3 days ago, as it is full of terms and phrases which only a 1st term biology student can comprehend.
About a hundred years ago, I read a book called, "The Most Beautiful Endless Forms of the Martian," authored by a 74 year old, somewhat womanish, Martian-English interpreter, transcribed via transcription. This book was not as good as "Mr. Mercedes."

Likes OmCheeto
Now I need to buy a new fan.

WWGD said:
Well, how about " Only the good die young "?
Isn't that a billy_joule tune?

1oldman2 said:
Isn't that a billy_joule tune?
You mean Billy Joel? But I think the saying precedes the song.

Since this is a random sort of thread I'll ask if there are any fans of Stephen Goulds writing in the house?

WWGD said:
You mean Billy Joel? But I think the saying precedes the song.
True, it was kind of a nod to Billy_Joules clever use of a user name:smile:

1oldman2 said:
True, it was kind of a nod to Billy_Joules clever use of a user name:smile:
Ah, I was not on the ball to catch it. I as being a square.

Likes 1oldman2
zoobyshoe said:
Now I need to buy a new fan.
West coast problem?

WWGD said:
Ah, I was not on the ball to catch it. I as being a square.
One has to appreciate the random humor on this thread, it's great expression!

Likes collinsmark
1oldman2 said:
One has to appreciate the random humor on this thread, it's great expression!
I guess it is not so hip to be square. And there is nothing hip about a fracture (I keep hearing about hip fractures). Imagine people getting fractures just to look hip.

WWGD said:
I guess it is not so hip to be square. And there is nothing hip about a fracture (I keep hearing about hip fractures). Imagine people getting fractures just to look hip.
Being 57 years old I knock wood every time some mentions hip fractures :wink:

WWGD said:
Intended?