Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Psinter said:
They finally did it eh? Pft, I'm not even going to comment.
I was excited after hearing it on the TV as I thought I would be having more open chances to choose what enslaving system I would work for as well as which noble slave I could later become.
I certainly expect my government to level up the country's living standard higher enough such that people will have better better lives while we can still keep our investors. :nb)

Likes 1oldman2, Sophia and Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon Waffle said:
I was excited after hearing it on the TV as I thought I would be having more open chances to choose what enslaving system I would work for as well as which noble slave I could later become.
You are funny, I'll give you that. I couldn't have expressed it better.

You are ready. I hereby bestow you, Silicon Waffle, with the technique that has been passed down for generations:

Internet Secret Technique: Sarcasm!

You are now a fully fledged sarcastic warrior like me. I'm proud of you and I know this isn't even your final form. In time, with practice, you will learn other Internet Secret Techniques like Heavenly Sarcasm, Godly Sarcasm, and so on. Make good use of it.

Don't know if I said it already, but I'm proud of you. *tears* :H They grow so fast.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
I certainly expect my government to level up the country's living standard higher enough such that people will have better better lives while we can still keep our investors. :nb)
TTIP, TTP... I really don't want to be negativistic, but somehow I don't believe that politicians want the best for us. I don't want to bring any conspiracies here because I'm not that type of person. But I have no bright visions for near future of the planet as far as normal people are concerned. This will only be good for those who are already rich.
I have no facts to support this claim. These are only my subjective feelings. Will not argue with anyone who claims the opposite.

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
fresh_42 said:
We have the same idiom. However, without "not". Let the cat out of the bag. This let's me conclude that it is pretty old. It means to reveal your intentions, sometimes bad ones. Who let the cat out the bag cannot pretend anymore to have a rabbit, i.e. food in it.
We've got "don't buy cat in the bag". That means don't buy something if you are not sure about the quality or don't let someone fool you.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
We've got "don't buy cat in the bag". That means don't buy something if you are not sure about the quality or don't let someone fool you.
Yes, we have this one, too. I guess all these idioms date back to the Middle Ages.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, we have this one, too. I guess all these idioms date back to the Middle Ages.
And we also have Es ist noch kein Meister von Himmel gefallen. I've learned that one on Duolingo :-)

Sophia said:
And we also have Es ist noch kein Meister von Himmel gefallen. I've learned that one on Duolingo :-)
Oh how I hoped that would have been 'Es ist noch kein Braumeister von Himmel gefallen'

fresh_42 said:
Oh how I hoped that would have been 'Es ist noch kein Braumeister von Himmel gefallen'
LOL! Tell me where you live and I'll take my private helicopter and I could make it happen for you :-) just don't forget to wear a helmet.

Psinter said:
Hehe. I'll take the story anytime. :biggrin:
I don't think I've ever posted on the wrong thread, I must say. I'll probably do it later this evening now I've said it, of course.

I did use to hang out with a bunch of people on an IRC channel. Four of us lived in the same neighbourhood and we went out together one evening. Afterwards, we went back to one guy's house and logged on to the IRC channel - four sessions on one computer, each one logged in as one of us. A few alcoholic beverages may have been consumed, and we kept forgetting which window was logged in as who. We were all well known on the channel and all had quite distinct and recognisable "styles", but user and user name were usually not the same. And we were frequently forgetting to change window, so a comment in one style would be answered in another style by the same user name, which didn't match either style. I gather it was very strange for the others on the channel until we explained what was going on.

Silicon Waffle said:
You can me the latter and tell Psinter the former.
You're the one with the binoculars...

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
That sounds like a local adaptation of the saying to buy a pig in a poke.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-pig-in-a-poke.html

Ibix said:
I did use to hang out with a bunch of people on an IRC channel. Four of us lived in the same neighbourhood and we went out together one evening. Afterwards, we went back to one guy's house and logged on to the IRC channel - four sessions on one computer, each one logged in as one of us. A few alcoholic beverages may have been consumed, and we kept forgetting which window was logged in as who. We were all well known on the channel and all had quite distinct and recognisable "styles", but user and user name were usually not the same. And we were frequently forgetting to change window, so a comment in one style would be answered in another style by the same user name, which didn't match either style. I gather it was very strange for the others on the channel until we explained what was going on.
That must have been epic.

NascentOxygen said:
That sounds like a local adaptation of the saying to buy a pig in a poke.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-pig-in-a-poke.html
That's interesting, how European languages share similar sayings even when they are from different language groups.
BTW it's a nice site, will use it to enrich my vocab :-)

She will neuer bye the pyg in the poke
Thers many a foule pyg in a feyre cloke.

My email client went nuts. A couple of days ago it opened up English,... ok, today it opened up French, ... ok, but please don't go Mandarin ...

fresh_42 said:
My email client went nuts. A couple of days ago it opened up English,... ok, today it opened up French, ... ok, but please don't go Mandarin ...
:DD Glad to see you around fresh_42, no one there ever knows our relationship.

Silicon Waffle said:
:DD Glad to see you around fresh_42, no one there ever knows our relationship.
Onto or into, in any case morph.

So I wondered if I could probably make hot chocolate in a coffee maker. I'm about to use a coffee maker to make hot chocolate. I'll tell you guys if it works.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Wait up! You can't because the chocolate will not melt completely. You can use a microwave then though.

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
Wait up! You can't because the chocolate will not melt completely. You can use a microwave then though.
Too late, I logged out too fast. I did it and it didn't work. The result was an aqueous solution that tasted like coffee :coffee:. ?:) Even after adding milk and sugar. ?:) Looks like the taste of coffee is impregnated in the coffee maker. I don't like coffee. ?:) ?:)

On another random thought: I'm a sweets person and I've yet to see a coffee that tastes sweet.

Psinter said:
Looks like the taste of coffee is impregnated in the coffee maker. I don't like coffee.
And now everyone after is damned to say: "This coffee tastes like chocolate. I don't like chocolate."

Likes Psinter
Psinter said:
So I wondered if I could probably make hot chocolate in a coffee maker. I'm about to use a coffee maker to make hot chocolate. I'll tell you guys if it works.
Email me some please.

Psinter said:
Too late, I logged out too fast. I did it and it didn't work. The result was an aqueous solution that tasted like coffee :coffee:. ?:) Even after adding milk and sugar. ?:) Looks like the taste of coffee is impregnated in the coffee maker. I don't like coffee. ?:) ?:)

On another random thought: I'm a sweets person and I've yet to see a coffee that tastes sweet.
You can still use it as toppings for cakes, cookies, ice-creams or make your own Mocha (chocolate coffee :wink: - my favorite) or use it with milk as a shake or with other smoothies for kids around. :biggrin:

Likes Psinter
Silicon Waffle said:
You can still use it as toppings for cakes, cookies, ice-creams or make your own Mocha (chocolate coffee :wink: - my favorite) or use it with milk as a shake or with other smoothies for kids around. :biggrin:
Yes, or icced cappuccino.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Someone started a Fred: "Interested in AI"
Nobody nowadays seems to be concerned about NI anymore.

PF already affects my behaviour. I cannot read "same time" or similar anymore without getting an allergic reaction.

fresh_42 said:
"same time"
In which frame?

Sorry - instinct.

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
Email me some please.
Digitizing and feeding the data through optic fiber. :-p

Likes WWGD
I'm on my way to Nobel Prize :biggrin:
I managed to make the papers in my room reproduce/clone on their own, without any added source of energy or material!
I make a large cleaning 3-4x a year and each time I am able to throw away a bag of papers and other redundant "stuff. After doing so, my room is nice and organized. In 3 months time, the papers have reproduced again! Could antibiotics work? But they are not technically living...or are they? Do they want to suffocate me? :bugeye:

Sophia said:
After doing so, my room is nice and organized.
Funny enough the kid of my cousin (which is 4 years old... I think, I don't know) entered my room and asked me: "How can you sleep with all this mess in your room?" I did not know what to say so I replied: "You see, I sleep in the bed, not in the floor or room tables... And there is no mess in the bed. Makes sense?" But I don't think she's buying it guys. She is very suspicious of me and thinks something is not quite right with my answer. Plus she called me a kid. Although I must admit the following sometimes happens with the laundry:
funny-laundry-nap-bed.jpg
Sophia said:
Do they want to suffocate me? :bugeye:
Entropy? Yeah. Albeit very slowly. :-p
Sophia said:
Could antibiotics work?
funny-frozen-yogurt-antibiotics-protesting.jpg

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
Seems it was possible that while buying a piglet (packaged in a bag of course) at ye old village market it was a scam to substitute a cat for the piglet. at least that's one of many explanations I came across while researching my post

February 14 coming soon! 8 days and counting!

valentines-day-2013_o_1118293.jpg

Something for valentines:
memes-switching-to-single.jpg

image?image_id=848.jpg

Psinter said:
Funny enough the kid of my cousin (which is 4 years old... I think, I don't know) entered my room and asked me: "How can you sleep with all this mess in your room?" I did not know what to say so I replied: "You see, I sleep in the bed, not in the floor or room tables... And there is no mess in the bed. Makes sense?" But I don't think she's buying it guys. She is very suspicious of me and thinks something is not quite right with my answer. Plus she called me a kid. Although I must admit the following sometimes happens with the laundry:haha, she's a smart girl! You'd better come up with a more reasonable explanation. Maybe you are doing a research on entropy and you're trying to create one spot of order in a large area of chaos. Than show her one of your thick Physics textbooks to leave her speechless. That could work for a while...[/SPOILER]

Likes Psinter