Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,226
Yeah, their battles were epic. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
Borg said:
Yeah, their battles were epic. :smile:
Yes, they were. The old days were awesome. We had some really funny people, I don't know why they left and things got so boring. Well, I know why some left, like tribdog. But Artman was such a hoot. Before him we had Njorl, but I know why he left. :frown: Then some just grew up like yomamma, he even changed his name. And then their was Franz and smurf. <sigh>

• #1,228
I'll never grow up. :smile:

• #1,229
Borg said:
I'll never grow up. :smile:
Good, I'm holding you to that!

Likes Borg
  • #1,230
Silicon Waffle said:
Commitment and Fulfillment please.
Discipline. :wink:
Sophia said:
Oh I hope you will be able to stay with us!
I hope so too.
Evo said:
The last time I spoke to drizzle she was going home to her sister's wedding, haven't heard from her since.
:eek: I hope she is okay. :frown:
Evo said:
Why wouldn't you be able to come here?
If I could predict what will happen that would be awesome. It's still just a may, I may still be able to come here. There is more may than may not. :smile: Oops, I'm short on time. I'll come back today later.

• #1,231
Psinter said:
Discipline. :wink:

I hope so too.

:eek: I hope she is okay. :frown:

If I could predict what will happen that would be awesome. It's still just a may, I may still be able to come here. There is more may than may not. :smile: Oops, I'm short on time. I'll come back today later.
If you don't come back I'm going to ban you! :devil:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,232
LOL evo!
Today I calculated something and got 6.66. Twice. What could that possibly mean? :-0
I know! That's because I ordered Devilish schnitzel for lunch!

Likes Evo
  • #1,233
Evo said:
If you don't come back I'm going to ban you! :devil:
ban-him.jpg

I'll make a program to login every now and then during a period of 3 years to make it look like I'm still alive and not get banned. By the time someone realize it, I'll be long gone.

I'm just kidding. :-p

I like you guys very much. :oldshy:

Edit note: I changed my words. The previous words in the first sentence attract you know what from you know where and it is annoying when those things come.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia and Evo
  • #1,234
I may have pissed off people wearing t-shirts with a picture of Bernie Sanders when I gave them a thumbs up and said : " KFC rocks!"

Likes Borg
  • #1,235
WWGD said:
I may have pissed off people wearing t-shirts with a picture of Bernie Sanders when I gave them a thumbs up and said : " KFC rocks!"
That's mean.

• #1,236
Gingrich joined my team (Cruz(R), Duckworth(D), Ernst(R), HRC(D)). He wants me to donate for Kasich(R).
Beside the little unimportant fact that I may not vote for them, I even won't. None of them has been invited to spam my email account. :mad:

• #1,237
What to do, if correcting "Consider a signpost in Glasgow pointing along a Roman road ('cos they're straight) to Edinburgh that says 'Edinburgh 100km'" would be off topic? AFAIK the Romans haven't got north of the Hadrian's Wall and therefore couldn't have build a road for the 67km distance ...

Likes Ibix
  • #1,240
WWGD said:
But bar patrons were Fox reporters, so he thought they were of his kind.
I have yet to see a bar that is a "no spin zone" (the monkey very well could have been a reporter "out with the boys") :cool:

Likes WWGD
  • #1,241
In the folktales I've been reading, I don't quite remember which from all I've read, but specifically a girl told to a boy whom she appeared to like (but the boy was after a new girl who appeared): Try not to overdo it. I don't need to tell you this, but boys tend to show off a bit when they are around girls.

What a very observant girl. I wasn't aware of that at all, but it makes sense now that I think about it. So boys tend to show off when there are girls in the view. Hehe.

• #1,242
Psinter said:
What a very observant girl. I wasn't aware of that at all, but it makes sense now that I think about it. So boys tend to show off when there are girls in the view. Hehe.
Yep. They regularly show up in the newspaper on monday morning when they've wrapped their new car with a fresh driver license around a tree between a disco and home while speeding to show off some innocent girl they wanted to drive home. I cannot understand why there are still girls who enter those cars. Never, ever!

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,243
fresh_42 said:
Yep. They regularly show up in the newspaper on monday morning when they've wrapped their new car with a fresh driver license around a tree between a disco and home while speeding to show off some innocent girl they wanted to drive home. I cannot understand why there are still girls who enter those cars. Never, ever!
:DD Poor tree.

Elections are coming soon. Yesterday a girl was talking to me about her social and political inclination and it appears an old guy heard her and began lecturing her while I was away. The old guy was telling her whom she should vote for, but she actively refused the old guy's words. Then the old guy told her: "Listen young lady, you need to think about your future."

To which I laughed. And while I was making this face :rolleyes: I was thinking that it had been me I would have told the old guy, to finish the conversation at once: "I don't have a future and I never had one. Voting won't change that fact ever. Telling me to vote these days is like telling me to choose the caliber with which I want to be killed and expect me to be happy about the opportunity of doing so. I'm not going to vote this year and that's my final decision, are we clear or shall I slap you in the face with facts about every single party candidate?"

That should have ended it. People telling others who to vote for really grind my gears. When I'm in the mood for a joke (almost always) I tell them: "I'm going to vote for Hitler!"

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,244
Psinter said:
When I'm in the mood for a joke (almost always) I tell them: "I'm going to vote for Hitler!"
You ought to be more careful!
I once knew a punk who at first sight looked a bit like a nazi. The opposite was the case. One day he met a real nazi on the sidewalk. The nazi lifted his right arm an greeted "Heil Hitler!" (Heil is the imperative of to heal in German.) The punk's answer has been "Heal him yourself, idiot"
I would like to have been on the scene so much.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,245
fresh_42 said:
You ought to be more careful!
I once knew a punk who at first sight looked a bit like a nazi. The opposite was the case. One day he met a real nazi on the sidewalk. The nazi lifted his right arm an greeted "Heil Hitler!" (Heil is the imperative of to heal in German.) The punk's answer has been "Heal him yourself, idiot"
I would like to have been on the scene so much.
Really? Ahahahahaha! That must have been so funny. I once read on the Rules of the Internet, one of them said: "Do not hail Hitler... unless you want to." :woot:

• #1,246
Interesting distinction made on a TV show, between being Childlike and Being Childish . I know someone who seems to fit into one of the two, but I am not sure which.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
  • #1,247
WWGD said:
Interesting distinction made on a TV show, between being Childlike and Being Childish . I know someone of who seems to fit into one of the two, but I am not sure which.
I have the strong feeling there could be several around here! And all of them entangled that way!

• #1,248
fresh_42 said:
I have the strong feeling there could be several around here! And all of them entangled that way!
I may fall into the childish group at times, I guess :). But the point was more about the difference between, e.g., childlike innocence that an adult may have, which may be considered a positive quality to have and childish behavior (which an adult could also display at times)

• #1,249
WWGD said:
I may fall into the childish group at times, I guess :). But the point was more about the difference between, e.g., childlike innocence that an adult may have and childish behavior (which an adult could also display at times)
The KFC joke has been definitely a measurement which resulted in childish. :cool:
Edit: ... on the other hand ... I'm not so sure anymore. How did the apparatus react?

• #1,250
fresh_42 said:
The KFC joke has been definitely a measurement which resulted in childish. :cool:
But there is also the surprising coincidence of the common last name: Sanders, which is not so common of a last name. And what if Bernie was in the army and was also a colonel? Two colonel Sanders? I'll be right back, I am going to get myself some fried chicken.

EDIT: I suspect your dislike of the joke is mostly on categorical grounds. Maybe you would prefer Co-KFC, with the Co-Kernel?

• #1,251
I don't dare to imagine what a co-chicken might be.

• #1,252
fresh_42 said:
(Heil is the imperative of to heal in German.)
Somehow I never looked into this word and it seems it doesn't mean quite what I thought, as used by the Nazis. I have been assuming it was synonymous with the English, "hail," which is an expression of acclamation. "Acclamation" is "a loud, eager expression of approval, praise, or assent." Therefore, I erroneously thought there must be some German verb, heilen, which meant, 'to praise, approve of, or assent to." And I further erroneously thought the the phrase, "Heil Hitler!" was an order, the imperative form of that verb, commanding the second party to praise, approve of, or assent to, Hitler.

Your statement, though, made me go searching in my German-English dictionary, and I see that there is no such verb. There is only the verb, "heilen," meaning "to heal, cure, make well." The "heil" in "Heil Hitler" actually seems to be a noun derived from that verb meaning, "prosperity, happiness, welfare; salvation, redemption." So, "Heil Hitler!," seems to mean something more like "Health to Hitler!," "Prosperity to Hitler!" or "Long live Hitler," rather than "Bow down to Hitler!"

At least, that would be the ostensible meaning. In fact, since Germans under the Nazis were required by law to greet each other with "Heil Hitler!," it's actual unspoken meaning was what I thought: "Bow down to...". Regardless, I never realized it didn't explicitly mean that, nor that it could also function as a pun with the meaning "Heal Hitler!" Very interesting.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle, Enigman and Ibix
  • #1,253
WWGD said:
...Sanders, which is not so common of a last name.
I think it's pretty common:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/apps/thesweetestsound/popularity-index/popindex.php?name=sanders&Submit=Submit

Out of 151,671 names it ranked 88 (in the year 2000).

• #1,254
"Heil Hitler" -> "Long live Hitler", perhaps? Regardless I shall be remembering that pun every time I come across the phrase from now on.

• #1,255
zoobyshoe said:
I think it's pretty common:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/apps/thesweetestsound/popularity-index/popindex.php?name=sanders&Submit=Submit

Out of 151,671 names it ranked 88 (in the year 2000).
Well, sanders as common as muck...

• #1,256
I hate it when I go to the grocery store and buy what I think are organic tomatoes, only to get home and discover they're really old fashioned donuts!

Likes lisab and Sophia
  • #1,257
Ibix said:
"Heil Hitler" -> "Long live Hitler", perhaps?
Ostensibly, yes. Something more along the lines of "Long live the King!," or "God save the King!," than "Bow to the King!"

From what I understand, that whole "heil" thing, along with the hand salute, was revived from the Romans by the Italian Fascists and then adopted from them by the Nazis. In Latin it was "Ave Caesar!" However, I don't know exactly what that Latin means, whether it's an imperative or not, or if it is derived in any way from "heal."

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,258
Psinter said:
:DD
When I'm in the mood for a joke (almost always) I tell them: "I'm going to vote for Hitler!"

Come here, you can vote for a neo nazi party on March 5. They've already won regional elections and now they run for parliament. Their preferences are about 2%.

Of course, they couldn't be elected if they were real Nazis. Their uniforms look differently and the symbols they use are not EXACT copies of those used by real Nazis. And, when they have meetings on important anniversaries of WWII, it's always because they proclaim peace. So no, they are not Nazi!

• #1,259
Tsu said:
I hate it when I go to the grocery store and buy what I think are organic tomatoes, only to get home and discover they're really old fashioned donuts!
I don't like tomatoes. As a matter of fact I don't like vegetables very much. Vegetables: ?:).
Sophia said:
Come here, you can vote for a neo nazi party on March 5. They've already won regional elections and now they run for parliament. Their preferences are about 2%.

Of course, they couldn't be elected if they were real Nazis. Their uniforms look differently and the symbols they use are not EXACT copies of those used by real Nazis. And, when they have meetings on important anniversaries of WWII, it's always because they proclaim peace. So no, they are not Nazi!
Hehe. I don't understand how that works, but yeah. My elections are on November :frown:. I'll go then to your place and vote for the most handsome boy/girl candidate. :-p

• #1,260
Psinter said:
Hehe. I don't understand how that works, but yeah. My elections are on November :frown:. I'll go then to your place and vote for the most handsome boy/girl candidate. :-p

Don't worry, no one understands that :) Most of the candidates in my country (well, ALL of them) are corrupted liars and thieves so it would make sense to vote for the most handsome ones. At least it would be nicer to watch them on TV :)
I will probably vote for some minor party with 0 chance of getting into the parliament as a form of protest against the major politicians. Maybe the Green party or someone slightly leftish (but not Communists). I hesitated if I should go voting at all, but I will. Because if you don't vote, you have absolutely no right to criticize them. And I want to criticize whoever is elected :)

Likes Psinter