Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,261
Sophia said:
Most of the candidates in my country (well, ALL of them) are corrupted liars and thieves
We share this in common :frown:

Likes Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,262
My friends and mirror say that I look like a barbie doll and my family treats me like a princess :smile:

Likes fresh_42 and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,263
zoobyshoe said:
I think it's pretty common:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/apps/thesweetestsound/popularity-index/popindex.php?name=sanders&Submit=Submit

Out of 151,671 names it ranked 88 (in the year 2000).
Right, that is relative popularity, but there may be many types of distribution of last names. Still, the probability of finding
a last name sanders in the US is less than 1 in 1000: 263751 people in 322,101,671:
http://howmanyofme.com/people/Bernard_Sanders/
So I guess were both somewhat right/wrong; sanders is not uncommon, but not too common either.

• #1,264
gracy said:
My friends and mirror say that I look like a barbie doll and my family treats me like a princess :smile:
You have no idea if they are treating you like a prince instead ?

• #1,265
zoobyshoe said:
Somehow I never looked into this word and it seems it doesn't mean quite what I thought, as used by the Nazis. I have been assuming it was synonymous with the English, "hail," which is an expression of acclamation. "Acclamation" is "a loud, eager expression of approval, praise, or assent."

Actually you are right. To be exact: "Heil!" is a noun, meaning salvation - eventually from "heilig = holy". The imperative of "heilen = to heal" is "Heile!" but the last 'e' of it would be swallowed in everyday language (if ever used at all) so it is a little pun with crossed meanings. Nevertheless, the origin of these words are likely the same and probably "hail" and "heal" are of the same origin. Maybe "heilig" and "holy", too. I can search for it if you are interested in since my assumption about their origin is only due to similarity and narrow relationship in meaning. I haven't looked it up.

I withhold these differences because I wanted to tell the story and translating puns is usually not an easy task. In addition I tried to avoid the use of German words as much as I could and not going into deep on German language nuances.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,266
Silicon Waffle said:
You have no idea if they are treating you like a prince instead ?
No. As I am a girl the , royal treatment that I get from them makes me feel like a princess .

Last edited:
  • #1,267
Ok princess Gracy.

Likes Psinter and gracy
  • #1,268
gracy said:
No. As I am a girl the , royal treatment that I get from them makes me feel like a princess .
Good, we finally have some royalty in PF, we are moving up.

Likes Silicon Waffle, gracy and fresh_42
  • #1,269
Silicon Waffle said:
Ok princess Gracy.
Ok, this gets us: HHP Gracy. But of what? HHP Gracy of PF?

• #1,270
Why can't all cats just get along?

Likes Silicon Waffle, Sophia and Tsu
  • #1,271
Sophia said:
Most of the candidates in my country (well, ALL of them) are corrupted liars and thieves so it would make sense to vote for the most handsome ones.
You are stealing my lines. :-p
Sophia said:
I will probably vote for some minor party with 0 chance of getting into the parliament as a form of protest against the major politicians.
What is this thing you call parliament? Is it a place where laws are created like at The Great Nation of The 50 Stars? The place where laws are created at The Great Nation of The 50 Stars, people call it the congress, but I call it: The Palace of Laws. :olduhh: (It's a joke, things have their names)
gracy said:
It's dangerous to go outside alone princess, take this with you:
11711-Take-this.jpg

May them protect you where I cannot. :-p
lisab said:
Why can't all cats just get along?
Catnip!

Likes Silicon Waffle, Sophia and gracy
  • #1,272
Psinter said:
Aww.. thanks for the advice.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,273
gracy said:
Aww.. thanks for the advice.
It was a joke, but okay. :smile:

• #1,274
gracy said:
It should be
Wait . I do get and I am still getting that royal care . No mistake there. No. It is a punctuation mistake.

As I am a girl, the royal treatment that I get from them makes me feel like a princess.

• #1,275
Psinter said:
It was a joke
Don't you dare to joke with a princess!

Likes Psinter
  • #1,276
Psinter said:
But I think this would increase the danger. A pretty princess with cute cats . Beauty alert !

• #1,277
gracy said:
But I think this would increase the danger. A pretty princess with cute cats . Beauty alert !
It may, but it is very tactical: :oldlaugh:
Tactical-Kitten.jpg

Don't fall asleep princess, or I will have to wake you up with a kiss.
I actually meant that as a joke, not a punchline. You know, because of Sleeping Beauty and stuff.

Another random thought: That awkward moment when your grandfather is better at flirting with girls than you:
JfcdgZF.jpg

No kidding, before my grandfather died, when he was drunk he threw lines at young girls and my cousins would laugh their butts off at the things he told the young ladies. Oh how I miss him. He gave us good laughs and times. Like when we were mixing cement once to make a column and it was very silent and he said to break the silence: "Oh God, how good I would be at this if I didn't get tired." I laughed my butt off that one time.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2, Silicon Waffle and Sophia
  • #1,278
fresh_42 said:
Ok, this gets us: HHP Gracy. But of what? HHP Gracy of PF?
What is HHP ?
I like to climb tall trees so I only want to play with King and Queen, neither with Prince nor Princess.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,279
Psinter said:
You are stealing my lines. :-p

What is this thing you call parliament? Is it a place where laws are created like at The Great Nation of The 50 Stars? The place where laws are created at The Great Nation of The 50 Stars, people call it the congress, but I call it: The Palace of Laws. :olduhh: (It's a joke, things have their names)

Yes, it's where the laws are created. It's similar to congress, but there are differences. The congress and American voting system are more complicated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress
We are a much much smaller country so we have a simpler system. Everyone older than 21 can have their own political party and if they get 10 thousand signatures from citizens, they can enter the election campaign. This year, there are 23 parties competing. Each party that gets 5% or more in the elections gets seats in the parliament. There are 150 seats available and the number of seats they get depends on % in elections.
It can look something like this
upload_2016-2-21_7-42-9.jpeg

They create laws and argue, accusing each other of corruption.

Your grandpa must have been a great person :) Some old people are very wise and experienced. I myself like charming old gentlemen. There's a strange kind of magnetism in them :)

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,280
Sophia said:
Your grandpa must have been a great person :) Some old people are very wise and experienced. I myself like charming old gentlemen. There's a strange kind of magnetism in them :)
I like that word! :smile: Very true!

Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #1,281
Silicon Waffle said:
What is HHP ?
I like to climb tall trees so I only want to play with King and Queen, neither with Prince nor Princess.
I also want to know what is HHP.

But that's not much Silicon Waffle. Aim higher. I'll be your God if you be my Goddess. :-p (I'm joking)
Sophia said:
Yes, it's where the laws are created. It's similar to congress, but there are differences. The congress and American voting system are more complicated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress
We are a much much smaller country so we have a simpler system. Everyone older than 21 can have their own political party and if they get 10 thousand signatures from citizens, they can enter the election campaign. This year, there are 23 parties competing. Each party that gets 5% or more in the elections gets seats in the parliament. There are 150 seats available and the number of seats they get depends on % in elections.
It can look something like this
undefined
Ohhhhhh.
Sophia said:
They create laws and argue, accusing each other of corruption.
:DD Oh my God, Sophie, you make me laugh because I know that what you say is real. It is real at my place. And probably real all around the world. Even lawyers admit it.
Sophia said:
Thanks. He was great to me. My other grandfather used to start conversations with everyone and crack jokes every-time with the workers of stores. He called the cashiers by their name and if they didn't had their names in a tag he asked them for it. The cashiers knew him and truly smiled at the jokes he made them as if he had made their day. I always admired how he could become friends with almost everyone. I'm an introvert and I don't talk to workers at stores for anything other than greetings and formalism. But I still enjoyed being with him and observe how he talked with others and how well he managed conversations with a piece of humor. It gave this atmosphere of friendliness, respect and kindness and it still was humorous.

But he was always fighting with the priest at the church :DD. And his wife would tell him to shut up and stop contradicting the priest, that the priest was right and he was wrong. :DD

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,282
HHP Gracy -> Her Highness Princess Gracy, I would guess. I think it should be HRH Princess Gracy (Her Royal Highness), but I'm not 100% on the peculiarities of formal modes of address.

Likes Psinter and fresh_42
  • #1,283
Psinter said:
I
But he was always fighting with the priest at the church :DD. And his wife would tell him to shut up and stop contradicting the priest, that the priest was right and he was wrong. :DD

Hahahaha trying to imagine that) :))) I'm sure it was your grandpa who was right :)
I adore people who are outgoing and can handle social situations. I try to be like them but it takes a lot of work for me to behave "normally".
I am naturally friendly and like people, but I am anxious at the same time. Sometimes when my senses are overwhelmed (many people, noise, strong lights, new environment) I have panic attacks. Fortunately I've learned to manage them to some degree with medication and experience.
I am one of these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/26/highly-sensitive-people-signs-habits_n_4810794.html There's only one point that doesn't apply to me- I've learned to suppress crying as a young child.

So people like your grandpa are role models to me. You must miss him very much.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,284
gracy said:
http://wwwcdn.channel5.com/assets/images/000/003/745/large_size_Little_PrincessC-640x360.jpg?1288283831

OOPS this has bleed over from another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,285
My experiences should remind me of cute, damn charming princesses having facial hair. :DD

Likes Psinter
  • #1,286
Silicon Waffle said:
What is HHP ?
Her Royal Highness Princess Gracy of PF
(I think Ibix is right and probably a more reliable source here.)

Likes Silicon Waffle and Psinter
  • #1,287
Sophia said:
I try to be like them but it takes a lot of work for me to behave "normally".
It's okay. Who cares about normal anyway, I think you are awesome. :smile:
Sophia said:
Sometimes when my senses are overwhelmed (many people, noise, strong lights, new environment) I have panic attacks.

I am one of these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/26/highly-sensitive-people-signs-habits_n_4810794.html
Oh my, we are very alike then in this sense.

I am also very sensitive to noises and light. I'm also sensitive to smells. Once I told some guys to shut up because I was sleeping and told them that I could feel the vibrations of their voices in my body, that it was annoying me and they laughed at me saying that voices don't vibrate. I was telling the truth, I could feel the voices vibrating. :sorry: When living in the city this is exactly how I would describe it:
funny_picdump_837_640_09.jpg

Anxiousness is one hell of a thing, I hate it. I hope you don't get it anymore :smile:. If you feel anxious, telepathically hold my hand and we can be anxious together. Then, by our powers combined, we are anti Captain Anxious! :-p (I'm inventing things here)
Sophia said:
You must miss him very much.
I do miss him, but not like super super miss him. It was fun with him around.
Silicon Waffle said:
My experiences should remind me of cute, damn charming princesses having facial hair. :DD
Ha! My experiences told me that girls don't like when you tell them: "I like your mustache" :nb). Yeah, I'm not a very smart person. Here is someone else who is not very smart:
3b288f0daf670ba58396896e1978f122.jpg

You learn something every day.

• #1,288
Heinz Beanz #57 are now confirmed "eatable" (with rice and sausages).
Maybe next time I'll add some bacon to it to get closer to a revelation.

• #1,289
Sorry, Borek, but , again, when someone told me they were from Krakow, I understood Crack House.

• #1,290
WWGD said:
Sorry, Borek, but , again, when someone told me they were from Krakow, I understood Crack House.
Food cannot be compared! You should pronounce it Krukow with 'u' as in 'crunch'. (Not exactly but far better than yours.)

• #1,292
fresh_42 said:
Food cannot be compared! You should pronounce it Krukow with 'u' as in 'crunch'. (Not exactly but far better than yours.)
But I am hearing the pronunciation from Poles.

• #1,294
fresh_42 said:
Heinz Beanz #57 are now confirmed "eatable" (with rice and sausages).
Maybe next time I'll add some bacon to it to get closer to a revelation.
Isn't that Heinz you talk about the one from the Ketchup?

• #1,295
Psinter said:
Isn't that Heinz you talk about the one from the Ketchup?
Is that Heinz from the crack house, or Heinz drinking a mini soda and getting at least 7 hours of sleep?