Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,191
fresh_42 said:
rirez?
I leave it blank for people to fill in any verb they like themselves. Whatever! :biggrin: rirez is not the one I have in mind though.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
Regarding the post over here:

94PGLfV.jpg

Likes Sophia
  • #1,193
mfb said:
1.2*1012/(300*106) = 4000, not 4 millions. This larger billion would be the US GPD of a month. Which makes sense, if you divide it by the population you get something of the order of a monthly income.

That larger billion not typically German by the way, it is widely used in Europe and some other regions. Long and short scales
Wikipedia has a map. Red=Short scale (1000 millions are a billion), Blue=Long scale (1 million millions are a billion)
That;s very interesting http://www.jimjamesnetwork.com/consult/

• #1,194
WWGD said:
No, PIN is the right way in here unless you think redundancy is necessary.
...or if you think redundancy is necessary.

• #1,195
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EScalas_corta_y_larga.PNG
I'm not sure which is which on the map since for some reason the zones are labelled in Spanish on that link.
However I see that as well as the two main scales there are some others.
One of these 'other' zones is comprised of China, Greenland, and Greece , very odd.

• #1,196
The rocket again made honor to his nickname!

• #1,197
Ibix said:
...or if you think redundancy is necessary.
I meant it may or not be necessary depending on the context.

• #1,198
WWGD said:
I meant it may or not be necessary depending on the context.
I must say, I can't think of a circumstance where such redundancy is necessary. While PIN number and ATM machine seem to be common usages, I think they're incorrect and my inner pedant leaps to the fore every time I see them. I was just duplicating your comment on redundancy for - apparently ineffective - comic effect.

• #1,199
There seems to be a certain attraction to three-letter-codes. The duplication of the last information is likely to clarify the meaning of the abbreviation. E.g. ATM machine in contrast to a ATF machine :smile: or a PIN number in contrast to just a pin or your last bowling score. Your inner pedant won't probably revolt at IBM computers or an OS/2 operating system, which are not less absurd.

• #1,200
You recognize you study something unusual when you enter the common room and your colleagues play chess on a cylindric board. They would have chosen a torus if there wasn't the problem with the starting formation ...

• #1,201
I cannot make this!

I cannot make it! It doesn't work! :H :H :H :H

:cry:

• #1,202
Psinter said:
I cannot make this!

I cannot make it! It doesn't work! :H :H :H :H

:cry:
Neither can I.

• #1,203
fresh_42 said:
Neither can I.
Yay! I'm not alone! :smile:

• #1,204
Psinter said:

And the down under version:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,205
Psinter said:
I should stop trying, as I apparently gave the finger to like 5 people while trying.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,206
fresh_42 said:

And the down under version:

Let them all duke it out with Evergreen, who disagree:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,207
WWGD said:
I should stop trying, as I apparently gave the finger to like 5 people while trying.
:DD

@fresh_42 That place has a lot of people. I think I had never seen so many people in one place.

• #1,208
Ibix said:
I must say, I can't think of a circumstance where such redundancy is necessary. While PIN number and ATM machine seem to be common usages, I think they're incorrect and my inner pedant leaps to the fore every time I see them. I was just duplicating your comment on redundancy for - apparently ineffective - comic effect.
Sorry again, man, I have been too square recently :1,4,9,16,.. it's all I am. But I agree that the repeated need to deal with unnecessary redundancy is not needed. And I am pretty sure I don't walk alone on that one, nor do I march by myself, nor displace myself solo, in my search to avoid having others with me as I ambulate.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,209
Ok, ok, they have lonely hearts songs, too:

• #1,210
fresh_42 said:
Ok, ok, they have a lonely hearts songs, too:

??

• #1,211
Maybe a rephrasing: Dear Sir or Madam ...or whatever the hell it is you are.

• #1,212
All hail Caffeine! Glory to the Dark Lord. And more sugar... definitely, more sugar.

Likes Borg
  • #1,213
Enigman said:
All hail Caffeine! Glory to the Dark Lord. And more sugar... definitely, more sugar.
Red Bull?? Why do you restrict yourself to just two of the main food groups?

• #1,214
Coffee. Black as the sky on a moonless night and sweet as its silence. The age of Apis is past, the night has fallen.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,215
Recently I've heard on a TV show (Numbers): "Mathematicians are people who transform coffee into theorems."

• #1,216
fresh_42 said:
Recently I've heard on a TV show (Numbers): "Mathematicians are people who transform coffee into theorems."
I thought that was from Paul Erdos.

• #1,217
Enigman said:
Coffee. Black as the sky on a moonless night and sweet as its silence. The age of Apis is past, the night has fallen.
Apis?

• #1,218
WWGD said:
I thought that was from Paul Erdos.
Alfréd Rényi, who was addicted to coffee, is the source of the quote: "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems", which is generally ascribed to Pál Erdős. It has been suggested that this sentence was originally formulated in German, where it can be interpreted as a wordplay on the double meaning of the word Satz (theorem or coffee residue), but it is more likely that the original formulation was in Hungarian.
(from Wiki)

• #1,219
zoobyshoe said:
Apis?
A piss.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,220
You know which member from the forum I miss? @drizzle

I've been thinking and it sucks to become attached to people. In an old forum which no longer exists I made friends and I missed them a lot when it vanished. That won't happen to PF, but I may soon not be able to come here. And when that happens I'm sure I will miss a lot of you. :H

In order to avoid that, I think I must not become attached. That's what my logic tells me. :bear:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,221
Psinter said:
In order to avoid that, I think I must not become attached...
Commitment and Fulfillment please.

• #1,222
Psinter said:

I've been thinking and it sucks to become attached to people. In an old forum which no longer exists I made friends and I missed them a lot when it vanished. That won't happen to PF, but I may soon not be able to come here. And when that happens I'm sure I will miss a lot of you. :H

In order to avoid that, I think I must not become attached. That's what my logic tells me. :bear:
Oh I hope you will be able to stay with us!

• #1,223
Psinter said:

The last time I spoke to drizzle she was going home to her sister's wedding, haven't heard from her since. Why wouldn't you be able to come here?

• #1,224
Likes lisab