Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,296
Psinter said:
Isn't that Heinz you talk about the one from the Ketchup?
Yep.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
WWGD said:
Is that Heinz from the crack house, or Heinz drinking a mini soda and getting at least 7 hours of sleep?
I don't get it, I need a map.
fresh_42 said:
Yep.
Oh.

• #1,298
fresh_42 said:
Yep.
Who would have thought they had ketchup at the crack house? I guess if you get enough sleep...

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,299
Psinter said:
I don't get it.

Oh.
Read the three posts before the post I am quoting.

• #1,300
WWGD said:
But I am hearing the pronunciation from Poles.
The polish site hasn't got a pronunciation but the German: Krakau (polnischKraków
12px-Loudspeaker.svg.png
[ˈkrakuf])

• #1,301
WWGD said:
Read the three posts before the post I am quoting.
o_O I still don't get it.

• #1,302
Psinter said:
o_O I still don't get it.
Don't worry, you're not missing much :). Krakow == crack house, Minnesota == mini soda, heinz,
heinz catchup, etc. -- and I am not on crack, nor in Krakow. But I did not know that people named Heinz were assigned numbers . And there are at least 57 of them.

Likes Psinter and fresh_42
  • #1,303
WWGD said:
Is that Heinz from the crack house, or Heinz drinking a mini soda and getting at least 7 hours of sleep?
It's Heinz Mish again being at his neighbours for a mini soda to get an hour more sleep.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,304
fresh_42 said:
It's Heinz Mish again being at his neighbours for a mini soda to get an hour more sleep.
Indeed, you will be put to sleep after the effect of crack runs out.

• #1,305
WWGD said:
Indeed, you will be put to sleep after the effect of crack runs out.
Do you recommend I should smoke that red stuff in the fridge? Oh no: you meant IV?!

• #1,306
fresh_42 said:
Do you recommend I should smoke that red stuff in the fridge?
Ask Heinz 58, he can tell you better than I can (and better than Heinz 57-- that is how he was given the number).

• #1,307
WWGD said:
Ask Heinz 58, he can tell you better than I can (and better than Heinz 57-- that is how he was given the number).
aka, smoke a sausage and then put Heinz x ; ## x \geq 57## on it.

• #1,308
WWGD said:
As you've mentioned Poland. Do you know Lem's Star Diaries? Probably not because then you knew it wasn't Heinz, it has been Ijon Tichy:
"The Star Diaries where the unfortunate Tichy, caught in a time loop, is repeatedly banged on the head with a saucepan wielded by future versions of himself. "

EDIT: Lem died in Krakow :wink:

• #1,309
fresh_42 said:
As you've mentioned Poland. Do you know Lem's Star Diaries? Probably not because then you knew it wasn't Heinz, it has been Ijon Tichy:
"The Star Diaries where the unfortunate Tichy, caught in a time loop, is repeatedly banged on the head with a saucepan wielded by future versions of himself. "

EDIT: Lem died in Krakow :wink:
No, never heard of it. Nasty loop, btw.

• #1,310
WWGD said:
Don't worry, you're not missing much :).
Okis.

I want to learn Russian really learned. But the way I'm trained to learn languages is by having a list of characters of the language that someone pronounces and then I keep repeating how each character sounds over and over. Then I start reading and associating words that I've read with pictures of what they are. And so I learn and keep leveling up. But I cannot find a place where someone is pronouncing each character separately. The way I learn a language is like this little girl in the video at time 4:53:

• #1,311
Psinter said:
Okis.

I want to learn Russian really learned. But the way I'm trained to learn languages is by having a list of characters of the language that someone pronounces and then I keep repeating how each character sounds over and over. Then I start reading and associating words that I've read with pictures of what they are. And so I learn and keep leveling up. But I cannot find a place where someone is pronouncing each character separately. I learn like this little girl in the video at time 4:53:

Ouch, learning a whole new alphabet. Good luck. Maybe you can try those new videos out, let me see if I can remember their name.

• #1,312
WWGD said:
Ouch, learning a whole new alphabet. Good luck. Maybe you can try those new videos out, let me see if I can remember their name.
You found videos like that? :bugeye:

• #1,314
Subway passengers are now called "customers": You hear the announcements: " Please let the customers off the train before boarding...".

• #1,315
WWGD said:
I'll check which one has someone pronouncing each character at a time. For once I know that the Rosetta Stone version I had many years ago wasn't like that (I don't know now). They start out of the blue with full words and that's not how I learn. I learn first each character pronunciation and then go with words.

• #1,316
WWGD said:
Do I want a Mini Soda?
Uhm :DD I learned a new homonym.

• #1,317
WWGD said:
Believe me. The alphabet is by far the easy part.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,318
fresh_42 said:
I would settle for learning the Hopak:

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,319
WWGD said:
I would settle for learning the Hopak
Sure you don't need your knees anymore?

• #1,320
fresh_42 said:
Sure you don't need your knees anymore?
Yeah, I wonder how one even trains for it. But it looks really cool; imagine breaking into it in a public place.
Maybe a few shots of Stolichnaya would help here.

• #1,321
Psinter said:
I'll check which one has someone pronouncing each character at a time. For once I know that the Rosetta Stone version I had many years ago wasn't like that (I don't know now). They start out of the blue with full words and that's not how I learn. I learn first each character pronunciation and then go with words.
Thanks psinter for the encouragement you are very kind! :-)

Russian alphabet is called azbuka and you can find many videos of it on YouTube. It's very easy because once you learn the letters, you can read and write anything you want. There is no need to memorize spelling of each word as in English or even worse - French.

Edit : of course there are exceptions as in any language but generally it's true :-)

Last edited:
  • #1,322
However, from what I remember, the accents are totally non systematic, and the structural grammar includes persons, cases, tenses, three (I think) groups of regular verbs and many irregular verbs. On the plus side there is no verb "to be" in the present tense.

• #1,323
Ibix said:
However, from what I remember, the accents are totally non systematic, and the structural grammar includes persons, cases, tenses, three (I think) groups of regular verbs and many irregular verbs. On the plus side there is no verb "to be" in the present tense.
Yep, the grammar is difficult. Probably the best way to learn it is by listening and reading and getting the "intuition" for it. Though some memorization may be inevitable in the beginning.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,324
"grammar is difficult."
Sophia says so, but if I quote her post to explain to someone and say Sophia said so right on this thread, will it sound strange to a native speaker ? Even though, for example, her post has been made for days.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,325
Silicon Waffle said:
"grammar is difficult."
Sophia says so, but if I quote her post to explain to someone and say Sophia said so right on this thread, will it sound strange to a native speaker ? Even though, for example, her post has been made for days.
Heh? I haven't slept well tonight (you know, I turn into a werewolf around full moon) :-D so I don't understand your post :-p

• #1,326
Sophia said:
Heh? I haven't slept well tonight (you know, I turn into a werewolf around full moon) :-D so I don't understand your post :-p
I mean to use the correct time and tense (verb "say" and "said") as mentioned in the above post. I know it will be different in meanings (e.g Sophia said/says so) but I think the native speakers tend to i.e quote your past post and use "say" not "said", which is semantically unnatural in my native language, clearly you've said it for days. (Or maybe the native use English incorrectly :DD)

Likes Sophia
  • #1,327
fresh_42 said:
That's my perception.
Sophia said:
Thanks psinter for the encouragement you are very kind! :-)
I was actually joking, except for the part that you are awesome, because that's a fact! You are awesome and I dare anyone to say the opposite. Which reminds me of this nice picture:
9dd51cc81970ea9e68aa859b70019f9d.jpg
Sophia said:
Russian alphabet is called azbuka and you can find many videos of it on YouTube. It's very easy because once you learn the letters, you can read and write anything you want. There is no need to memorize spelling of each word as in English or even worse - French.

Edit : of course there are exceptions as in any language but generally it's true :-)
Thanks for the name, I will look into it!
Ibix said:
You know Russian?
Sophia said:
Heh? I haven't slept well tonight (you know, I turn into a werewolf around full moon) :-D
I was going to say: "Yes, there was a beautiful full moon, did you see it too?!" But then I remembered that I didn't actually looked outside last night and I was just playing Skyrim and for some reason it made me think I saw the moon in real life (lack of sleep too, I'm blending the worlds).

• #1,328
I have a GCSE (UK national school exam taken at age 16) in Russian. I haven't used it in more than 20 years. I can puzzle out most of the letters and remember a few stock phrases. That's about it.

• #1,329
Ibix said:
I have a GCSE (UK national school exam taken at age 16) in Russian. I haven't used it in more than 20 years. I can puzzle out most of the letters and remember a few stock phrases. That's about it.
I see. That's kind of nice.

Noooo, somebody please tell me this isn't real. Where is Queensland? How is this possible? Why is it illegal? I love bunnies. Please someone confirm this isn't real: :frown:

9-1969811-twe080813rabbit_fct906x683x38_ct620x465.jpg

• #1,330
Queenland in Australia ? :DD