Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,821
zoobyshoe said:
I lost 8 pounds in the last month. The secret is a combination of eating less and switching some of what you do eat to less fattening food. But I guess that's common knowledge. Not much of a secret. And if it was, it isn't any more.
I think it is much easier to lose weight by cutting down on food alone, i.e., without increasing exercise level than to lose weight by increasing exercise level without changing one's diet. Of course, it would be better to do both.

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,822
WWGD said:
I think it is much easier to lose weight by cutting down on food alone, i.e., without increasing exercise level than to lose weight by increasing exercise level without changing one's diet. Of course, it would be better to do both.
That means no ice cream on your Pi, of course. :rolleyes:

Likes Sophia and WWGD
  • #1,823
1oldman2 said:
That means no ice cream on your Pi, of course. :rolleyes:
Certainly not until I lose the ## \sqrt(10)^2=10## pounds I need to lose.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,824
Ironically my math skills are on par with my cats... who happens to be named Pi,(true story) :frown:

• #1,825
WWGD said:
I guess it depends on what aspect of self-discipline you are talking about. It's certainly less physical effort ("easier") to just cut down on food. However, for some people it's "easier" to add physical effort than it is to discipline themselves to cut down on food. If we can stretch "easier" to mean "faster," then both is the easiest of all.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,826
zoobyshoe said:
I lost 8 pounds in the last month. The secret is a combination of eating less and switching some of what you do eat to less fattening food. But I guess that's common knowledge. Not much of a secret. And if it was, it isn't any more.

congratulations! :check:

• #1,827
Sophia said:
congratulations! :check:
Thanks!

• #1,828
zoobyshoe said:
I guess it depends on what aspect of self-discipline you are talking about. It's certainly less physical effort ("easier") to just cut down on food. However, for some people it's "easier" to add physical effort than it is to discipline themselves to cut down on food. If we can stretch "easier" to mean "faster," then both is the easiest of all.
Well yes, you're right I didn't want to make an overly technical statement, but more of a rule of thumb (which may not hold by the standards of a rule of thumb) that , assuming one could have equal efforts in both areas: cutting down on food and increasing exercising, that cutting down would be more effective. Not much of a Random thought, though.

• #1,829
WWGD said:
(which may not hold by the standards of a rule of thumb)
Hmm..yes. Whose thumb was used as the thumb by which the standard 'rule of thumb' rules?

• #1,830
zoobyshoe said:
Hmm..yes. Whose thumb was used as the thumb by which the standard 'rule of thumb' rules?
Just my own experience and things I have heard. When I have gone even a week having a light dinner, I have lost weight. But when I have exercised daily without cutting down on food ( I usually do so every other day) , I have not lost any weight. I heard similar comments by trainers on science shows, but nothing rigorous, data-based.

• #1,831
WWGD said:
Just my own experience and things I have heard. When I have gone even a week having a light dinner, I have lost weight. But when I have exercised daily without cutting down on food ( I usually do so every other day) , I have not lost any weight.
AHAH! Consider, you may not have lost "weight," but you may have lost fat, and gained muscle!

• #1,832
zoobyshoe said:
AHAH! Consider, you may not have lost "weight," but you may have lost fat, and gained muscle!
My pants fit me better. But this statement is part of the slippery world of making statements non-technically without losing too much accuracy. Difficult to tread.

• #1,833
WWGD said:
My pants fit me better. But this statement is part of the slippery world of making statements non-technically without losing too much accuracy. Difficult to tread.
So, you must consider what the actual goal of the diet is. Is it authentically and exclusively to render yourself of smaller mass, hence weight? Or is it so your pants fit better, hence you look better? Is it so your rippling, sinewy body sends thrills through the feminine mind when you remove your shirt? Or, do you actually just require a certain range of reading from some mechanical device?

• #1,834
zoobyshoe said:
So, you must consider what the actual goal of the diet is. Is it authentically and exclusively to render yourself of smaller mass, hence weight? Or is it so your pants fit better, hence you look better? Is it so your rippling, sinewy body sends thrills through the feminine mind when you remove your shirt? Or, do you actually just require a certain range of reading from some mechanical device?
I just don't want my gut hanging out from my pants, seems embarrassing. But you're right, if you want real results, define the problem, the parameters carefully before deciding on a plan.

• #1,835
WWGD said:
I just don't want my gut hanging out from my pants, seems embarrassing. But you're right, if you want real results, define the problem, the parameters carefully before deciding on a plan.
Exactly. If your gut looks trimmer, mission accomplished.

• #1,836
My power bill has decreased significantly after daily turning of the surge protector before leaving home for the day. Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but will continue doing so.

• #1,837
zoobyshoe said:
Exactly. If your gut looks trimmer, mission accomplished.
It is just tricky at times to get dinner that is filling enough so that you don't eat anything until waking up the next day.EDIT Food is too easy to come by too, in the 1st world; a moment of weakness and you're out.

• #1,838
WWGD said:
It is just tricky at times to get dinner that is filling enough so that you don't eat anything until waking up the next day.
Yep. When I'm doing this, I tend to starve myself during the day when I have the energy to focus my will on resisting hunger, and eating my biggest meal late, when it's going to last till I fall asleep. It's harder to be hungry when you're laying there and it's all you have to think about.

• #1,839
zoobyshoe said:
Yep. When I'm doing this, I tend to starve myself during the day when I have the energy to focus my will on resisting hunger, and eating my biggest meal late, when it's going to last till I fall asleep. It's harder to be hungry when you're laying there and it's all you have to think about.
Don't go near 7-11 if you're hungry, though, specially if hungry and tired.

• #1,840
zoobyshoe said:
That's great! Keep up the good work :thumbup:... If you are not underweight, that is. Because if you are underweight and lost that many pounds then: bad zooby, bad zooby! Once I achieved normal weight by lifting weights for many months. Then something happened and in less than one month I lost more than before. It was like this:

-10 lb -> start weight lifting :muscle: -> normal weight achieved -> something happened -> -15 lb.

And I eat a lot. I've always had a hard time trying to gain weight.

• #1,841
zoobyshoe said:
I am waiting for big data algorithms to be made available at the individual level. Then you can track what you do all day and find what works for each person.

• #1,842
Psinter said:
That's great! Keep up the good work :thumbup:... If you are not underweight, that is. Because if you are underweight and lost that many pounds then: bad zooby, bad zooby!
Well, I'm not underweight in fat. I am in muscle. If I converted the fat weight all to muscle weight, I'd be in good shape.
Once I achieved normal weight by lifting weights for many months. Then something happened and in less than one month I lost more than before. It was like this:

-10 lb -> start weight lifting :muscle: -> normal weight achieved -> something happened -> -15 lb.
Hmmm. That's odd.

• #1,843
zoobyshoe said:
Well, I'm not underweight in fat. I am in muscle. If I converted the fat weight all to muscle weight, I'd be in good shape.

Hmmm. That's odd.
We're just too short for our weight.

Likes Sophia, rbelli1, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,844
And remember... Round is a shape!

BoB

• #1,845
zoobyshoe said:

I know about that.

Somehow something interferes every time I plan to go for a run. More often than not its because I get miraculously drawn into my work 30 minutes before I planned to leave.
Luckily I play a game of footy every saturday. Unfortunately its often followed by a decent amount of beer.

Now that I've dislocated my shoulder I can scratch both activities though. Wonder how much weight I'll gain in the next month :(

Also RE: the issue of the extra work of a few pages back, it's probably just a few more cases to consider (general coordinate transformations can be a pain in the behind)

And now for a random thought (more a piece of information);
Whenever the foam on a beer is really white (almost like paper) it probably means they added some chemicals.
I learned this at a beer tasting event a couple of weeks ago.

• #1,846
Evidence of Murphy law

Week days : 6.20- let me sleeeeep! I need weekend to sleeeeep!

Sunday: wake up at 3.52 after dreaming of recording a ghost on tape and posting about that on PF. Can't fall asleep again.

Last edited:
  • #1,847
Sophia said:
Evidence of Murphy law

Week days : 6.20- let me sleeeeep! I need weekend to sleeeeep!

Sunday: wake up at 3.52 after dreaming of recording a ghost on tape and posting about that on PF. Can't fall asleep again.
When I have bad dreams and wake up from one of them I try to stay awake because I don't want to go back to it. But I feel like a rock in the sense that it is hard to stay awake. It's as if you are still very tired and want to go to sleep again. I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_inertia

But I'm not sure I understand it. I'm just sure of how it feels. It feels like keeping your eyes open cost a lot of effort. That's how it feels.
zoobyshoe said:

Hmmm. That's odd.
If you are on normal weight, does it matter if it is in fat or muscle? I don't know much about this. For not saying I don't know anything.

• #1,848
Psinter said:
If you are on normal weight, does it matter if it is in fat or muscle? I don't know much about this. For not saying I don't know anything.
I think it would be medically unsound for a person to be of normal weight but to have that weight composed mostly of fat with very undersized muscles. There must be some proper ratio of fat to muscle included in the concept of "normal" weight. Not that I know what it is.

Edit: Here we go: https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/quick-guides/what-is-a-healthy-weight

• #1,849
zoobyshoe said:
I think it would be medically unsound for a person to be of normal weight but to have that weight composed mostly of fat with very undersized muscles. There must be some proper ratio of fat to muscle included in the concept of "normal" weight. Not that I know what it is.
Oh, I see.

• #1,850
Psinter said:
Oh, I see.
See my edit above.

• #1,851
zoobyshoe said:
See my edit above.
Just saw it. :smile:

I feel sleepy. :sleep:

• #1,852
The hateful eight is a cool movie.

Tarantino missed one opportunity though, at a certain moment someone yells "How do you like THAT?"
I would've gone for "How do you like them apples"

• #1,853
I still don't get Trevor Noah, Daily Show's new "Announcer" . Not sure why, just that Stewart seemed better somehow.

• #1,854
Happy Pi Day! :woot:

Likes collinsmark and Sophia
  • #1,855
Something that bothers me:

when people go around saying STEM people are "ignorant" of philosophy

no, many scientists just don't find many philosophical questions interesting, it doesn't mean they are "ignorant" of philosophy

i don't go around accusing Humanities majors of being ignorant of P vs. NP or the Navier Stokes Equation