What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,766
I am taking a break from general dabbling. I will have to leave aside questions like whether any non-singleton Topological space ##T## can be homeomorphic to its square ## T \times T ##. EDIT: I am pretty sure I am ignoring a simple invariant which may provide an easy negative proof. Maybe some type of dimension.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,767
WWGD said:
I am taking a break from general dabbling. I will have to leave aside questions like whether any non-singleton Topological space ##T## can be homeomorphic to its square ## T \times T ##. EDIT: I am pretty sure I am ignoring a simple invariant which may provide an easy negative proof. Maybe some type of dimension.
Topology is a mean <peep>, because you need a lot of
WWGD said:
order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw
to stand this world of counterexamples. Of course, after a lot of
WWGD said:
order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw
you cannot do topology anymore because you see homeomorphisms all around. o0)

• #2,768
fresh_42 said:
Topology is a mean <peep>, because you need a lot of

to stand this world of counterexamples. Of course, after a lot of

you cannot do topology anymore because you see homeomorphisms all around. o0)

Sounds like you've tried it...:) hic.

• #2,769
WWGD said:
Sounds like you've tried it...:) hic.
Well, I'll do my very best!

This is our nationwide and mandatory tv-show on New Year's Eve. O.k. the original is mandatory, there are also several covers in local dialects, which are optional:

Any questions, Sir Toby?

• #2,770
fresh_42 said:
Well, I'll do my very best!

This is our nationwide and mandatory tv-show on New Year's Eve. O.k. the original is mandatory, there are also several covers in local dialects, which are optional:

Any questions, Sir Toby?
A quite bizarre tradition, which you can read about on Wikipedia: Dinner for One
Wikipedia said:
The sketch has become a tradition in Germany, where up to half the population may watch it every year on New Year's Eve, but it is almost completely unknown in the United Kingdom
I'd heard about it, once, but this is the first time I've watched it.

• #2,771
DrGreg said:
I'd heard about it, once, but this is the first time I've watched it.
It is a fixed part of private parties to watch it together (usually around 8 p.m.) and many know the few text lines by heart. If you drop "Admiral von Schneider" or any other member's name in a converstion, chances are good you earn a "Skol!" or a "You look better than ever look" with a drunken attitude.

• #2,772
I don't care what others say, I still hear " Until next time, I am Erica" ( "Until next time , America"). A matter of parsing, I guess. If I see the reporter before the show (show: =next time), I will call him, Erica.

• #2,773
Hear about this philosopher S.Cahn. Would like to see him write a book with I.Kant, authored by : I Kant and S.Cahn , or, would be better if philosopher were named U.Cahn: U Cahn and I Kant.

• #2,774
WWGD said:
Hear about this philosopher S.Cahn. Would like to see him write a book with I.Kant, authored by : I Kant and S.Cahn , or, would be better if philosopher were named U.Cahn: U Cahn and I Kant.
Neither Cahn nor Kant is pronounced the way that is necessary to make the pun work. So it is entirely based on the disability to pronounce correctly.

• #2,775
fresh_42 said:
Neither Cahn nor Kant is pronounced the way that is necessary to make the pun work. So it is entirely based on the disability to pronounce correctly.
Maybe not in Deutscher, but in English , yes, more closely. Or you can use the self-motivator Shaka Khan -- and so can(Cahn) you.

• #2,776
WWGD said:
Maybe not in Deutscher, but in English , yes, more closely. Or you can use the self-motivator Shaka Khan -- and so can(Cahn) you.
I just recognized that the correct pronunciation of Kant is not really a good idea in an English context ...

Likes WWGD
  • #2,777
fresh_42 said:
I just recognized that the correct pronunciation of Kant is not really a good idea in an English context ...
Similar problem for the school CUNY (City University of NY) , if check order of letters in (Qwerty) keyboard...Type carefully.

• #2,778
WWGD said:
Similar problem for the school CUNY (City University of NY) , if check order of letters in (Qwerty) keyboard...Type carefully.
Lol, we have z and y exchanged, so less risky on this side, although CUNX looks a bit like the Klan.

• #2,779
fresh_42 said:
Lol, we have z and y exchanged, so less risky on this side, although CUNX looks a bit like the Klan.
You have QWERTZ? keyboards? I had heard of Dvorak (allegedly "Statistically Correct"), but had not heard of QWERTZ.

• #2,780
WWGD said:
You have QWERTZ? keyboards? I had heard of Dvorak (allegedly "Statistically Correct"), but had not heard of QWERTZ.
Yep. There are also some differences on the extra symbols like |,~,°,\ which I usually only recognize if I had a disc crash and installation routines start with a different setting or I'm on the computers of my relatives. But I do have troubles to search on Swedish Wikipedia pages sometimes.

• #2,781
Overheard today: Auto response of people meeting each other today: A,B walking towards each other:
A ( to B): " How are you doing"?
B: " You too" . Walks away.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,782
Yes , it's come to be a greeting not a question.

• #2,783
jim hardy said:
Yes , it's come to be a greeting not a question.
You too, Jim :).

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,784
Seems like Starbucks workers have successfully negotiated less rigid uniform rules; I see them in jeans and t-shirts , although still, of course, the aprons and hats/caps. Good for them.

• #2,785
I smell Zariski :biggrin:

WWGD said:
How about the major ones : invertible, non-invertible? Tho " most" matrices are invertible, i.e., ##Gl(n, \mathbb R)## is dense in ##M_{ n\times n} \mathbb R##

• #2,786
fresh_42 said:
I smell Zariski :biggrin:
I smell senility --I thought I was kind of early for this -- since I intended to post this in another forum :(

• #2,787
I guess advertisement ideas are different through the world. Just got an email for " Thousands of Russian women desperately looking for a man" . Not your traditional pitch, I would say.

• #2,788
WWGD said:
I guess advertisement ideas are different through the world. Just got an email for " Thousands of Russian women desperately looking for a man" . Not your traditional pitch, I would say.
You surf too often on websites about (Bela-)Russian topologists :-p
WWGD said:
I smell senility --I thought I was kind of early for this -- since I intended to post this in another forum :(
I'm a crossover fan. It prevents me from banning myself due to off-topic comments.

Last edited:
  • #2,789
fresh_42 said:
You surf too often on websites about (Bela-)Russian topologists :-p

Not that I can remember. Only sites where I do not have to give my email in order to register. And the requests are not Math-related either.

• #2,790
WWGD said:
Not that I can remember. Only sites where I do not have to give my email in order to register. And the requests are not Math-related either.
Do you want to swap? Your Russian women and I can offer a daily bible verse, several American politicians of both parties and Christian singles. O.k. I can explain the politicians, but the data miners did a terrible job on the other thing! And before I forget: the Smithsonian regularly addresses me with "Betty, we want you back!"

• #2,791
fresh_42 said:
Do you want to swap? Your Russian women and I can offer a daily bible verse, several American politicians of both parties and Christian singles. O.k. I can explain the politicians, but the data miners did a terrible job on the other thing! And before I forget: the Smithsonian regularly addresses me with "Betty, we want you back!"
I thought "Christian singles" was for single people with first name Christian (always thought this oddly overspecialized for a singles site.). This name may create a lot of awkward situations, like my reply when someone asked: " Are you Christian" ( No, No)? And you have similar with name "Jesus" , ( "Not when I have taken my meds" ) etc.

• #2,792
fresh_42 said:
No, I was not referring so much to the "product" ( singles matching) , but the pitch: Russian women desperate... It doesn't seem like a good business technique to try to hood you up with women who are desperate, it seems like their product is not very high quality..

• #2,793
Seems like lack of imagination with names: Andrew Andrews, William Williams. How about Dostoievsky naming his kid Warren? Warren Peace?

• #2,794
WWGD said:
Warren Peace?
Last time you named something to make peace. it went terribly wrong! :wink:

• #2,795
fresh_42 said:
Last time you named something to make peace. it went terribly wrong! :wink:
How about a cooking recipe then? A recipe for peas: " Warren Peas " .

• #2,796
WWGD said:
How about a cooking recipe then? A recipe for peas: " Warren Peas " .
Agga, agga!

• #2,797
fresh_42 said:
Agga, agga!

He kind of looks like your picture. Related? Fresh_42_Ramsey?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,798
WWGD said:
He kind of looks like your picture. Related? Fresh_42_Ramsey?
I have never tried, but I'm pretty sure I won't like haggis, except of the preliminaries of course! And I'm more than skeptical to try this.

• #2,799
fresh_42 said:
I have never tried, but I'm pretty sure I won't like haggis, except of the preliminaries of course! And I'm more than skeptical to try this.
Appearance isomorphisms do not necessarily preserve taste preferences.

• #2,800
WWGD said:
Appearance isomorphisms do not necessarily preserve taste preferences.
What? Not enough that it is already hard to get the curve in a debate with a topologist, you now also load the categorial gun? :nb) But you're right, they might preserve the temper :mad: