What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,731
Finally got some benefit from my strength training (leg lifts, pushups, etc.) when I slipped and fell a few floors and did not get hurt.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,732
WWGD said:
fell a few floors and did not get hurt.
How many is/are "a few?"

• #2,733
Bystander said:
How many is/are "a few?"
A few cannot be one, but it can be as low as two... . :book: + :tv: = :gradcap:

• #2,734
Bystander said:
How many is/are "a few?"
Sorry, unintended exaggeration: a few steps down; I tripped and fell 5-6 stair steps down.

• #2,735
WWGD said:
Sorry, unintended exaggeration: a few steps down; I tripped and fell 5-6 stair steps down.
Face forward or sliding down on your back?

• #2,736
Asymptotic said:
On my back.

• #2,737
Simply because I've read this one today and it fits into context ... somehow ...
Asymptotic said:
Why do scuba divers fall backwards into the water?
If they fell forward, they were still in the boat.

Likes Asymptotic, collinsmark and OmCheeto
  • #2,738
WWGD said:
On my back.
That's the only way to go!

Did it once myself coming home from school one cold, snowy day. Slipped on a patch of ice at the very top of a nine concrete stairway between our yard and the road ... my armload of books went flying as I slid down backwards head first, hollering "f&%k" for every time my head hit stair finally coming to a stop on the other side of the macadam. :)

Likes WWGD
  • #2,739
Asymptotic said:
That's the only way to go!

Did it once myself coming home from school one cold, snowy day. Slipped on a patch of ice at the very top of a nine concrete stairway between our yard and the road ... my armload of books went flying as I slid down backwards head first, hollering "f&%k" for every time my head hit stair finally coming to a stop on the other side of the macadam. :)
Good deal; in my case it was just good-old rain in a smooth surface near the stairs.

Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,740
WWGD said:
Finally got some benefit from my strength training (leg lifts, pushups, etc.) when I slipped and fell a few floors and did not get hurt.
I forgot, I guess, all the bottles I have opened for older people too: "You look pretty strong, can you help me with this...". Time well spent with those pushups, leglifts, etc.

• #2,741
I still get mixed up apps as in applications with apps as in appetizers...

• #2,742
I bought a pair of shoes that are around one size too big. I need to find someone who has shoe size larger than mine who bought shoes one -or-more sizes too small. Seems like a nice new feature for PF..."Wake up, you need to make money!"

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-11_15-34-6.png
    upload_2017-11-11_15-34-6.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 396
  • upload_2017-11-11_15-35-4.png
    upload_2017-11-11_15-35-4.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 411
  • #2,743
WWGD said:
"Wake up, you need to make money!"
Wake up, winter's ahead! You will need space for a second and third pair of socks!

• #2,744
fresh_42 said:
Wake up, winter's ahead! You will need space for a second and third pair of socks!
And, hopefully new shoes from the new PF shoe exchange...

• #2,745
I've long thought a PF swap meet would be fun. Trade those' projects we never got around to finishing' .

What size are your shoes ? What style?

• #2,746
jim hardy said:
I've long thought a PF swap meet would be fun. Trade those' projects we never got around to finishing' .

What size are your shoes ? What style?
Around 13-13.5 ; any shoes I can wear to an office job. Things are a bit formal in here in terms of dressing for work.

• #2,747
Not to shill; but, just got a home assistant or, for me and what I hope to be, a life organizer. Think it's worth the $49.

• #2,748
WWGD said:
Around 13-13.5
Wow I'm 8.5 - 9.

• #2,749
jim hardy said:
WWGD said:
Around 13-13.5
Wow I'm 8.5 - 9.
And now the physics lesson for our students here:

Mine is 45-46.
Find the error!

• #2,750
Posy McPostface said:
Not to shill; but, just got a home assistant or, for me and what I hope to be, a life organizer. Think it's worth the $49.
They used to be called
fresh_42 said:
And now the physics lesson for our students here:

Mine is 45-46.
Find the error!
Easy: you're 29'' tall!

• #2,751
I can't access Google today and I'm being forced to use Bing. :oldruck:

• #2,753
  • #2,754
fresh_42 said:
I think a combo of both is best: use Google when you want to find something within what you expect, within the familiar, since Google tracks your search history and if you want a blank search, use DuckDuckgo, which does not track your history. In a sense, Google narrows your world and gives you predictable results.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,755
WWGD said:
I think a combo of both is best: use Google when you want to find something within what you expect, within the familiar, since Google tracks your search history and if you want a blank search, use DuckDuckgo, which does not track your history. In a sense, Google narrows your world and gives you predictable results.
Yeah, but Google's servers have a completely strange impression of my behavior. I look up places on maps, sometimes news and translations, but mostly if I look for pages to quote here. Which by the way is hard enough for certain terms. But it usually directs me to Wikipedia, so I go there in the first place. It's also the better place to translate scientific vocabulary. However, I prefer Google if I want to do a fast connection check in which case I use search items which will guarantee me many findings. You could guess, these aren't the scientific terms ...

• #2,756
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, but Google's servers have a completely strange impression of my behavior. I look up places on maps, sometimes news and translations, but mostly if I look for pages to quote here. Which by the way is hard enough for certain terms. But it usually directs me to Wikipedia, so I go there in the first place. It's also the better place to translate scientific vocabulary. However, I prefer Google if I want to do a fast connection check in which case I use search items which will guarantee me many findings. You could guess, these aren't the scientific terms ...
An understatement, Freshmeister. I used to do online Sudokus. Once around 19 boxes were left empty, I considered the puzzle done and would start a new one. Google interpreted this as my being senile and started recommended treatments for Alzheimer, Parkinson. Google is not too good with outliers.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,757
Power outage - 5 seconds.
Time to restart all of my work computers - 20 minutes. :oldruck:
Third time this week.
:headbang:

• #2,758
Wow if that's ongoing you need one of those little UPS units with built in battery .
Walk the last couple miles of power company feeder to your house - any tree limbs brushing the lines? They'd like to know.

• #2,759
It's the office building that I work in. Everything's underground. Usually it's very stable but every once in a while we'll get a streak of short cutoffs.

• #2,760
For our simulator we put in a motor-generator set with flywheel sized to ride through a one second interruption with100 KW load. Our flywheel was about a meter diameter by 4 inches thick. Induction motor, flywheel , synchronous generator all mounted on one skid about the size of a big chest freezer.
Perhaps your department would consider something along that idea but sized for your loads.
Worked very well . Since the computer supplier had overestimated his consumption we could ride through power glitches lasting several seconds and the computers didn't notice.

old jim

• #2,761
jim hardy said:
Wow if that's ongoing you need one of those little UPS units with built in battery .
Yeah, they work... at least for our stuff.

UPS .JPG

UPS 2.JPG

UPS 1.JPG

UPS 3.JPG

Attachments

• UPS .JPG
    UPS .JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 341
  • UPS 2.JPG
    UPS 2.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 321
  • UPS 1.JPG
    UPS 1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 398
  • UPS 3.JPG
    UPS 3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 371
  • #2,762
Just a Heads Up for reported run time.
My UPS (by APC) does self tests when it feels like it. If it tests when the computer system is off it reports 56 Minutes of run time. If it tests with the computer system running the report says 16 Minutes.
Caveat emptor!

• #2,763
Tom.G said:
If it tests with the computer system running the report says 16 Minutes.
One desktop with two monitors running, one laptop running, one modem/router running, one Roku running...

Self Test.JPG

PPPE .JPG

I'm not sure, but I think I can only do a manual test.

Attachments

• Self Test.JPG
    Self Test.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 341
  • PPPE .JPG
    PPPE .JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
  • #2,765
I don't know why, but for a long time now, I have been hoping to go to a fancy place, order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw. All with a straight face. Maybe a leftover of high school days, when I relished being shocking. And then asking them to microwave it for me and have them give me a cup so I can take the leftover wine home.