Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,241
pinball1970 said:
Is that a real image? No adjustments?
I believe it is.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
BillTre said:
Camouflage can be effective in some situations:

View attachment 314475

Or does the tree have eyes?
Incredible. Not just the the colour but the stop start so the prey would not be alerted.
Same in the Savannah but this looks more striking.
Amazing image and a nod to the engine of natural selection.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,243
pinball1970 said:
a nod to the engine of natural selection
The power of natural selection is amazing.
Before it was understood, its effects were though only possible as an act of God.

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,244
Suckers on the feeding tentacle of a young squid:

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 8.28.00 AM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and pinball1970
  • #2,245
Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.32.29 AM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,246
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.59.41 AM.png

• Wow
Likes Ibix, pinball1970 and collinsmark
  • #2,247
A winner in Nikon’s annual Small World photography contest that I like:

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.10.46 PM.png

This is a bunch of fluorescently labeled cortical neurons. This labeling based on some cool molecular tricks produces many different colors,letting different neurons be distinguished color. Without the different coloring, these neurons would just make a big confusing tangle (visually speaking) of cells and processes and would be much less informative.

The clouds of neurons in large vertebrate nervous systems is a distinctive feature of large vertebrate nervous systems. Many invertebrate (and some vertebrate) nervous systems have way fewer neurons. Some (like crayfish) have one motor neuron (per motoneuron type (activator and inhibitor)) per muscle.
The large populations of largely equivalent neurons in large vertebrates nervous systems present different neuro-computational possibilities.

• Love
Likes pinball1970, Ibix, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,248
BillTre said:
This is a bunch of fluorescently labeled cortical neurons.
Uh! Here they are!

Likes Ibix
  • #2,249
  • #2,250
BillTre said:
A winner in Nikon’s annual Small World photography contest that I like:

View attachment 315435
This is a bunch of fluorescently labeled cortical neurons. This labeling based on some cool molecular tricks produces many different colors,letting different neurons be distinguished color. Without the different coloring, these neurons would just make a big confusing tangle (visually speaking) of cells and processes and would be much less informative.

The clouds of neurons in large vertebrate nervous systems is a distinctive feature of large vertebrate nervous systems. Many invertebrate (and some vertebrate) nervous systems have way fewer neurons. Some (like crayfish) have one motor neuron (per motoneuron type (activator and inhibitor)) per muscle.
The large populations of largely equivalent neurons in large vertebrates nervous systems present different neuro-computational possibilities.
That's beautiful!

• #2,252
A collection of insects:

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 10.21.37 AM.png

• Wow
Likes hmmm27, strangerep, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #2,253
Likes fresh_42
  • #2,255
Elephants are very cool.
I know a zoo vet who does apes and elephants, among the most interesting animals in zoos.

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,256
BillTre said:
I know a zoo vet who does apes and elephants
Both are such powerful animals. I'd be hesitant to get too close to them while treating them, but I'm only used to treating humans. I do have one amusing dog treatment story from an event out in the hills in a ravine, but won't share it now.

How does your vet friend deal with examining and treating such powerful animals?

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,257
I don't know that exactly, but both are intelligent animals and the vet and animals will be familiar each other and behavioral expectations. Some animals have been trained to calmly submit to injections. Depending on the individuals involved you could always trank them first (like big predators).

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,258
BillTre said:
Some animals have been trained to calmly submit to injections.
Sounds like my wife (she hates shots), but she still asks every time for the smallest gauge needle available. :smile:

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, dlgoff and BillTre
  • #2,259
berkeman said:
Sounds like my wife (she hates shots), but she still asks every time for the smallest gauge needle available. :smile:
That's me. Every jab over the last 2 years has led the nurse to ask me to stop tensing.
The word "scratch" does not cover an injection btw, we the public are not fooled.

• #2,260

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and pinball1970
  • #2,261

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #2,262
pinball1970 said:
That's me. Every jab over the last 2 years has led the nurse to ask me to stop tensing.
The word "scratch" does not cover an injection btw, we the public are not fooled.
I've had soooo many injections over the years since early childhood. Has no one told about the technique of taking a deep breath, looking away and then breathing out slowly and deliberately as the needle goes in? I find that decreases the unpleasantness. Looking at it (like kids often do instinctively) is a bad idea.

If it's an intravenous injection, then it helps if you down a large quantity of water 15-20 mins beforehand so that the nurse can find the vein more easily. Being dehydrated is just asking for torment.

• #2,263
pinball1970 said:
Every jab over the last 2 years has led the nurse to ask me to stop tensing.
For me the worst actually is, as they try to console and encourage me.
Dentists are the same, BTW.
I DO know that it's not really a big deal (any thorny bush I cross during a hike do absolutely worse), but I just don't like it and that's it.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
  • #2,264
strangerep said:
Looking at it (like kids often do instinctively) is a bad idea.
Little kids and Medics. I like to watch their technique. :wink:

Likes BillTre
  • #2,265
berkeman said:
Little kids and Medics. I like to watch their technique. :wink:
From a dialogue I had the misfortune to overhear when a haemophiliac boy, maybe 8-10 yrs old, needed to get an injection of clotting factor,...

"Oh, F**k off! Get that thing away from me! Oh, geez you're a c*nt! ..." On and on. He had no conception that the doctor was genuinely trying to help him, and if he didn't get that injection he'd develop a serious bad hematoma which hurts like hell for weeks on end. I felt like I wanted to slap the kid, but,... you can't slap a haemophiliac without doing more harm... :oldgrumpy:

Likes berkeman
  • #2,266

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, Rive and Ibix
  • #2,267
Wow, fascinating behavior!

Likes BillTre
  • #2,268
BillTre said:

Where geographically? Asia, Africa, S. A., N.A., Oz?

• #2,269
Bystander said:
Where geographically? Asia, Africa, S. A., N.A., Oz?
Don't know. Didn't say.

• #2,270
BillTre said:
Don't know. Didn't say.
Have to say it's very unusual behaviour.

• #2,273
berkeman said:
[...Baby Zebra Born With Dots...]
Hey kid! Who's your daddy??

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #2,274
strangerep said:
Hey kid! Who's your daddy??
Or, maybe say it, who's your dotty?

Likes berkeman
  • #2,275
How many chromosomes do whale sharks have?