Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,276
fresh_42 said:
How many chromosomes do whale sharks have?
The diploid chromosome number of this species was found to be 102, which included 16 metacentric or submetacentric, 4 subtelocentric and 82 acrocentric chromosomes (Fig. 3a, Supplementary Fig.Nov 6, 2020
https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-020-01373-7

• Informative
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,277
When assembling his hive, a beekeeper forgot to mount the frame for the honeycomb and so the bees were free to fill the space according to their own ideas and this structure was created that optimizes the air flow.

_nc_ohc=p6YfmkWRseEAX_TNc0K&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, Andy Resnick, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #2,278
Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.42.48 AM.png

Likes Ibix, DennisN, Bystander and 2 others
  • #2,279

They're like living asterisks.

• Wow
Likes Ibix and DennisN
  • #2,280
BillTre said:
They're like living asterisks.
Amazingly cool! :smile:

• #2,281

Likes DennisN and Ibix
  • #2,282
Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 8.57.53 AM.png

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, DennisN and 2 others
  • #2,284

• Wow
Likes DennisN, Rive, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #2,285

• Haha
Likes Rive, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #2,286
BillTre said:

How does the lower bird have the spare lift to carry another bird on top? And how big a stack of birds could you make...?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #2,287
Ibix said:
How does the lower bird have the spare lift to carry another bird on top? And how big a stack of birds could you make...?
The Oregon coast has a lot of wind. A kite in a strong wind can generate a strong lift.
To me it looks like the top bird is kind of surfing on the lower one. Guessing a stack would be less stable.

Likes Ibix
  • #2,288

• Love
Likes DennisN
  • #2,289
Not a brave cat:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Rive, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #2,290
BillTre said:
Not a brave cat:

He/she doesn't know where that thing has been.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and BillTre
  • #2,291
BillTre said:
Not a brave cat:
It may seem strange, but to hunt adult rats is a task way too difficult for an average cat. Exceptions may happen, and heavyweight (above 5-6kg) tomcats might occasionally take down a few, but usually this is for dogs.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, fresh_42 and BillTre
  • #2,292

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,293

• #2,294

• Love
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and collinsmark
  • #2,295
_nc_ohc=vg1qIP2DWEwAX-JGR5k&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, Ibix, BillTre and 2 others
  • #2,296

Likes phinds, DennisN and Ibix
  • #2,297
BillTre said:

Sooo many of these images don't display on my browser (firefox). Is it a geographic region thing?

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,298
strangerep said:
Sooo many of these images don't display on my browser (firefox). Is it a geographic region thing?
I only see a message about disabling tracking protection, but you can click on it to go to the tweet.

• #2,299
Ibix said:
I only see a message about disabling tracking protection, but you can click on it to go to the tweet.

That's too bad.
I use Firefox on a Mac OS (all modern). And they work for me.

"I only see a message about disabling tracking protection, but you can click on it to go to the tweet."
I get a similar message for lots of Facebook reposts:
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.

if it were pictures, I would use a screenshot, which would void the problem, but I can't do that for a video, which twitter has a lot of.

• #2,300

• Wow
Likes davenn, collinsmark, gmax137 and 2 others
  • #2,301
This guy could bite your finger off;

• Wow
Likes davenn and DennisN
  • #2,302
BillTre said:

That one looks like it could, and would, snap off your whole foot.!

Likes BillTre and davenn
  • #2,303
BillTre said:

That's totally amazing ... definitely doesnt belong in jokes section

Likes BillTre
  • #2,304
BillTre said:

Another one that should be posted elsewhere, so cool :smile:

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #2,305
davenn said:
Another one that should be posted elsewhere, so cool :smile:
I moved them all so please ignore the doubles and comments.

• Love
Likes BillTre and davenn
  • #2,306
Not that it surprised me even a bit.
https://www.hna.de/leben/tiere/hund...bsichten-vertrauen-verhalten-zr-91792553.html

Dogs recognize bad people - skeptical behavior when deceived​

In Japan, a team of researchers conducted an experiment involving 34 dogs. The results were amazing. Food containers were placed in front of the animals, but only some contained treats. In the first round, the test leader pointed to a container with food, but in the second round, he pointed to an empty container. When he again pointed the dogs out to a container with treats in the third round, the majority of the four-legged friends were skeptical and did not react: their trust in the test leader was violated by the previous deception. A recent study also seems to show that dogs can even tell when a person is not behaving properly toward their master. In one experiment, the animal companions observed an interaction between their owner and an unknown person. In it, the dog owners asked for help opening a container, with the response of the other person varying: some helped immediately, others ignored the request, and still others actively refused. Afterward, the test subjects offered the participating dogs a reward. In the first two cases, they accepted the treats, but the fur noses consistently refused the food of the person who refused to support their owner.
... so if a dog is actively avoiding a certain person, you might want to trust their instincts.

• Skeptical
Likes Rive
  • #2,307
fresh_42 said:
... so if a dog is actively avoiding a certain person, you might want to trust their instincts.
Although this is a bit tricky, since dogs also can and do adapt to their owner in their behaviour: if the owner is actively avoiding/hostile to certain person (or, as more often happens around here: certain groups) then the dog will do so too, leading to sayings like 'even my dog knows they are nothing good'☹️

• #2,309
Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 9.05.38 AM.png

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark
  • #2,310
Here is a nice picture of a thylacine. Most are of poor quality.
This predator is often called a marsupial wolf or tiger (because of it's stripes).
It is usually considered extinct though some hold out hope for its continued existence in places like Tasmania.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 8.48.21 AM.png

• Love
Likes pinball1970