Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,696
Is that a dog-kitten or a kit-dogen?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,697
Best way to make my girlfriend lose the ability to speak: find ducklings. She can’t process when she gets into cuteness overload.
IMG_2907.jpeg

Likes DennisN, Rive and BillTre
  • #2,698
Following up on my cicada a few posts back, here's a cicada nymph that has emerged from its 17 years underground and is apparently preparing to "hatch" into a mature cicada.

IMG_4479.jpg

I've also seen empty split-open nymph husks, but I don't think this is one of those. It looks intact. I should have gone around to look from the other side, too.

• Love
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and BillTre
  • #2,699

Likes collinsmark and Bystander
  • #2,700
jtbell said:
Following up on my cicada a few posts back, here's a cicada nymph that has emerged from its 17 years underground and is apparently preparing to "hatch" into a mature cicada.

View attachment 344296

I've also seen empty split-open nymph husks, but I don't think this is one of those. It looks intact. I should have gone around to look from the other side, too.
So it begins. The Screams of Summer arrive.

• #2,701
Serious dedication, surprisingly deep knowledge of vibro-compaction and composite materials...:doh:
Ooops, cannot be embedded... Then, link

Also - cute :biggrin:

• #2,702
jtbell said:
Correction: The "Great Southern Brood" (Brood XIX) emerges every 13 years, not 17.

And the nymph in the picture that I posted had apparently already "hatched". A couple of days later, it looked the same but was definitely an empty husk.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,703
Emperor penguin chicks jump off a 50-foot cliff in Antarctica NEVER-BEFORE-FILMED FOR TV | Nat Geo

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, berkeman and Arjan82
  • #2,704
1715119318802.png

• Haha
Likes Ibix, Rive, Borg and 2 others
  • #2,705

• #2,706

• Haha
Likes Rive
  • #2,707
The rabbit gets pushy about 24 seconds in.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, BillTre and collinsmark
  • #2,708
The big gulp:

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, Borg, dwarde and 1 other person
  • #2,709
Daad! Lemme go!

1715907214739.png

• Love
Likes collinsmark, dwarde, Rive and 2 others
  • #2,710

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,711
1716390163795.png

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Borg, BillTre and 3 others
  • #2,712

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,713
I would take that name and guess that what we commonly see may be called "Green Scarab Beetle"? They appear the same except for color. I am only guessing about the name. (BillTre 's #2712 post)

• #2,714
Oops...

1716480718799.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, Rive, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #2,715

My daughter had a job for a while putting out camera traps looking at logs across streams to survey wildlife populations. However, never got one as cool as this.

Likes Ibix, collinsmark and berkeman
  • #2,716
berkeman said:
Yeah. The optical design software I trained with had a setting that would optimise for designs that were resistant to mis-alignment (it preferred wide peaks in the merit function when optimising, basically). The guy who taught the course described it as the "binoculars for squaddies" setting. I reckon "lion resistant cameras" might be a better phrase, though.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,717
The Toad Council has decided that they do not like me…
482092.jpeg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Ibix, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,718
1716577445030.png
1716577445030.png

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #2,719
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 8.47.37 AM.png

Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #2,720
Here's a very detaled little internal piece of an animal, a large pyramidal cell from a cortical area:

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 8.39.26 AM.png

These are involved in making things go behaviorally.

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,721

• Haha
Likes Rive, dwarde and collinsmark
  • #2,722

• Wow
Likes fresh_42, Rive, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,723

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, berkeman, Ibix and 3 others
  • #2,724

Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #2,725
If that about the fish navigating is true, must we stop easting fish?

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
  • #2,726

• Wow
Likes Rive, collinsmark and Ibix
  • #2,727
symbolipoint said:
If that about the fish navigating is true, must we stop easting fish?
We should definitely skip fish who are navigating and only east those who are at west.

• #2,728
renormalize said:
We should definitely skip fish who are navigating and only east those who are at west.
These remarks I made about the goldfish learning to navigate are because they seem to be more intelligent than we may have given them credit for being, and that maybe such animals should not be eaten, because of ethics in how we should treat intelligent and sensitive animals.

• #2,729
symbolipoint said:
These remarks I made about the goldfish learning to navigate are because they seem to be more intelligent than we may have given them credit for being, and that maybe such animals should not be eaten, because of ethics in how we should treat intelligent and sensitive animals.
What about salmon? They navigate.
Navigation is a general animal ability. The goldfish is just doing it in an unlikely manner.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,730
BillTre said:
What about salmon? They navigate.
Navigation is a general animal ability. The goldfish is just doing it in an unlikely manner.
Two species occur on everybody's dinner card whether they navigate or not: fish and mice. If you're a fish or a mouse then you've drawn the *** card as we say here. (Probably because football referees usually have the red card that sends players off the pitch in their back pockets.)