Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,731
BillTre said:
What about salmon? They navigate.
Navigation is a general animal ability. The goldfish is just doing it in an unlikely manner.
Could they learn to do so if in a fish bowl equipped with the kind of technology that the gold fish were using in the video? If so, then, I would become very poorly justified to eat salmon.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,732
They probably could. Goldfish are not considered the smartest of fish.

Furthermore I would expect all domesticated mammals would be able to do similar things.

Even furthermore I would expect most animals that move around in their environment would have an internal map (in their nervous system) on their outside world that would allow them to navigate their surrounding in an adaptive manner. (where adaptive means functionally advantageous to them).

• #2,733
1717601293652.png

• Haha
Likes phinds, Rive, symbolipoint and 3 others
  • #2,734
Dog and goose confrontation at the park.
1717699859867.png

• Haha
Likes docnet
  • #2,735
This little guy decided to crash land in the middle of the parking lot at work… so I relocated him somewhere safer.
IMG_3062.jpeg

Likes dwarde, OCR, Rive and 3 others
  • #2,736
IMG_4711.jpg

Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #2,737

• Wow
Likes phinds and collinsmark
  • #2,738
Why am I not surprised there's something like that in Australia?

Yo jaws, you talkin to me?

Likes BillTre
  • #2,739

Likes collinsmark, dwarde and Ibix
  • #2,740

• Wow
  • Love
Likes phinds, Rive, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #2,741
The sign says: Be careful! The stork is stealing hot dogs!

ohc=zdmIIhdJQwwQ7kNvgG8E0fF&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-2.jpg

Likes collinsmark, jtbell and BillTre
  • #2,742
Too funny... :smile:

Likes Borg
  • #2,743

• Wow
  • Love
Likes phinds and Borg
  • #2,744
This is one talented dog!

Likes phinds, collinsmark and Borg
  • #2,745
1718321742939.png

• Haha
Likes phinds
  • #2,746
berkeman said:
A friend of mine has put it this way: "Imagine what they [dogs] have given up [evolutionary]!"

We haven't deserved them.

• #2,747
Humans provided a new niche for wolves to slip into.
To fully take advantage of this new niche, mutant wolves were selected that got along better with and were more useful to people and they gradually became dogs.
Could they return to and thrive in their original environment? Some dogs can go feral, many probably can't.
That's what they "gave up" evolutionarially, but they have drastically expanded the niches they could utilize and have even gone to space.
Similar things could be said of our gut bacteria., but they changed less.

• #2,748
fresh_42 said:
A friend of mine has put it this way: "Imagine what they [dogs] have given up [evolutionary]!"
Very romantic, but the truth is, that what they 'gave up' was apparently almost-extinction.

Does anybody knows what was the ancestors of chickens?
What did they 'gave up'?

• #2,749

Likes phinds and collinsmark
  • #2,750
There are other videos like that showing a dog with a long stick it cannot move through a passageway. Nice smart dogs but just do not understand to change the angle. It makes one wonder if a wolf could do it.

• #2,751
symbolipoint said:
There are other videos like that showing a dog with a long stick it cannot move through a passageway. Nice smart dogs but just do not understand to change the angle. It makes one wonder if a wolf could do it.
I think we would have serious trouble talking a wolf into such a senseless task. The funny part of the video was that the branch was presumable as heavy as the dog was.

• #2,752
symbolipoint said:
See here, starting at 1.19.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, phinds, Borg and 2 others
  • #2,753
From this morning's walk:

IMG_4715.jpg

I hadn't seen anything in this pasture for many years. Looks like its owner finally decided to re-enter the cattle/dairy business.

Likes Rive, collinsmark, phinds and 2 others
  • #2,754
1718749565195.png

• Haha
Likes Rive and collinsmark
  • #2,760
I have some of these masks left. Now I need a parrot! Two parrots! I mean, a pair of parrots, male and female! And just as I think about it, Keas! I need a pair of Keas!
(We have so many neobiota here: raccoons, greater rhea, nutria, golden jackal, etc. We even have red-necked wallabies and many wild Alexandrine parakeets! But I'm still waiting for someone to release Keas!)

Likes collinsmark and berkeman
  • #2,762

Likes phinds, DennisN and collinsmark
  • #2,763

Attachments

• 1719703118395.png
    1719703118395.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, fresh_42 and BillTre
  • #2,764

• Haha