Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
collinsmark said:
Number 2 is
The Matrix

Number 6 is
Snakes on a Plane

Number 8 is
Alpha and Omega

Number 9 is
The Exorcist

Number 12 is
Vertical Limit

Number 14 is
E

So that still leaves
1, 7, 10, 11 and 13.

[Edit:
Number 1 might be
Sin City
but I'm not 100% on that.]
Number 14 is almost correct. What is behind the "e" number?
Yup, number one is correct! As well as the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
7-
some movie about being lost in sea for 10 something?
Wall-E
cross of iron (i think)
Outliers or a man apart (i think)

Last edited:
I got number 10: 1970's war film.

I think that leaves 7 and 11 left.

Enigman said:
7-
some movie about being lost in sea for 10 something?
Outliers or a man apart (i think)
Nope, the others are right, but these ones are different. Think about programming and the internet.

paisiello2 said:
I got number 10: 1970's war film.

I think that leaves 7 and 11 left.
Hint: Programming and the internet.

Enigman said:
I really don't think its social network on account of the one man out of the network on the other hand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2703688/ seem to fit better.
I haven't seen it, but it doesn't ring any possibility in my opinion (maybe because I haven't seen it). I think it's the one you think it's not.
Enigman said:
rationale behind 7
Lost at sea- Lost at C
or it could just be the ten steps: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452873/
Nope, in programming that block of text has a name. :biggrin:

number 7 - looper?

No, but you are so close. The movie title contains the word Loop in it. Hint: It's so easy. The movie is British, is not American. It is a parody of Anglo-American politics. The girl there is asking: "Where am I?"

In the loop?

tridianprime said:
In the loop?
Yes! :-p

Finally, this puzzle is complete.

Enigman said:
I was never a smoker. :mad:
I am a saint without any vices. Bask in the light of my divine halo sundisk or just my awesomeness if you prefer.
:biggrin:
I will expect a witty rebuttal to that.

But you must be a non veg
and in India here it's a vice to eat or slaughter any animal

Enigman said:
Well the next one then, you've been given a barrel of beer and I've removed some quantity from it (Hic!).
You are to determine whether the quantity removed was more than half, half or less than it...without using any instruments whatsoever except your 'selves'. Be advised that you are not to drink it, or dunk your hand, legs, head or anything else in it. After solving the puzzle you may drink this hypothetical beer up or dump it on my head. (preferably the later)
Good Luck!
And no googling ZBS (or anyone else)...
Use those (P)Fing brains of yours.

sinner :devil:

Okay, here's one that I came up with years ago. It may not be my best, but here it is anyway. 'Haven't seen a riddle in awhile, so here it goes.
------------------------------
Riddle:

Reclusive, young Wendy Wolf, new to her neighborhood of Worland, Wyoming, recently moved into her new worldly apartment. Wendy was wanton to get by independently within the world. It was her first time living within the city and away from the wilderness. Wendy woefully kept to herself, but wished for company.

Weary of wallowing in solitude, Wendy invited all her new neighbors over for a rewarding dinner party.

Many guests arrived and the evening started wonderfully. With wild music and whimsical dancing, the evening went on well.

While Wendy was away preparing the walnuts, wine and wishbone dinner, the Sun sank away and the Moon arose, and her guests began to wander. When the time came for dinner, Wendy was alone. Wendy wondered why have all her guests went away? Wendy stood wanting for answers. "What has went awry?"

Question: What did Wendy neglect regarding the dinner party in her new home? And why?

-----------------------
Hints:
  • The town of Worland, Wyoming, in particular, has nothing to do with the answer. (I picked that town at random.)
  • I'm supposing a person in Wendy's situation would probably not have made the same oversight. And typical guests may not have behaved the same way either. But such oversights and actions are within the realm of possibilities. So there's that.
  • Wendy is not accustomed to the company of strangers at nighttime (such as when the moon is full).
  • I will entertain "yes" or "no" questions. This may be one of those riddles where you first need to narrow down the situation; there may be more to Wendy than meets the eye: What is special about Wendy?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Does the answer start with a W?
:biggrin:

werewolf?
:bugeye:

Enigman said:
werewolf?
:bugeye:

Nope. Sorry. Not it.

Hee hee. All the alliteration is just for show. The answer doesn't necessarily contain a 'W' at all. Hee hee. :biggrin:

[Edit: Although some might argue that certain social responses that are involved with the answer are unlikely, nothing in the riddle and answer are outside the realm of realistic possibilities.]

Last edited:
Another hint:

Wendy was able to take care of herself -- on her own -- quite well. Quite well indeed.

Even so, I'm not saying she's the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to others. (She has been reclusive/alone for some time, after all.)

There's still more to Wendy.

Last edited:
Wendy is probably an ugly owl.

Medicol said:
Wendy is probably an ugly owl.

Ha! :biggrin: No. Let's just say for the sake of the riddle that Wendy is not ugly, but considered pretty. That much is not particularly relevant, but whatever: let's just say she's pretty (why not [again, it's not relevant, so we might as well define her as pretty, even though it doesn't matter]).

Whatever the case, Wendy is human. [Not a bird.]

Last edited:
Your riddle is incredibly hard, could you give us some more hints ?

The part about "the Sun sank away and the Moon arose, and her guests began to wander" is an important part. Twilight (dusk) passed.

You may ask yes or no questions about anything. There's still something about Wendy, and her newly furnished apartment.

Last edited:
Was the moon full? :biggrin:

Does her apartment look like a cave ?

drizzle said:
Was the moon full? :biggrin:

Yes, according to the riddle it is (the fact that the sun set at about the same time the moon rose is an astronomical quality of a full moon).

But as a hint, the fact that the moon was full is not really important. What's more important is that the sun set (the sun went down).

Medicol said:
Does her apartment look like a cave ?

I'm going to say no.

The apartment was recently furnished though, so it's safe to say it didn't have a lot of clutter. It's also safe to assume that Wendy thought ahead to get furnishings specific to a dinner party, such as a table and chairs; plates, silverware, drinking glasses, etc.

But she didn't think of everything.

[Edit: she obviously had a stereo system, or some sort of music playing apparatus (boombox or some-such, at least), for the "wild music" too.]

Last edited:
What about the lights?

drizzle said:
What about the lights?

What about the lights? ('yes' or 'no' questions please) :smile:

Is there any lights in the apartment?

drizzle said:
Is there any lights in the apartment?

No. There are no lights in the apartment. :smile:

(almost there ...)

Last edited:
No windows too? :bugeye:

drizzle said:
No windows too? :bugeye:

The apartment definitely has windows. It has enough windows to keep the apartment well lit in the daytime.

Last edited:
There's still more to the riddle by the way.

Roundabout hint (This hint will not directly lead you to the answer. Maybe it will though indirectly though, if you think about it):

You know that Wendy has a stereo system of some kind, with which she plays her music. With that information, what can you deduce about Wendy?

collinsmark said:
You know that Wendy has a stereo system of some kind, with which she plays her music. With that information, what can you deduce about Wendy?

Well, you can't deduce that she has "normal" hearing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie#Deafness

*__*

It could be that Wendy is blind. She has electricity, but no lights! She forgot her guests would need light after sunset.