Terrorist Attack hits London, City on Alert

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, multiple bombs have gone off in London, with reports of fatalities and injuries. This is likely a terrorist attack.
BicycleTree said:
Wow, 2 people dead. Why is this even making the news? Do you have any idea how frequently 2 people die just of natural causes in London? Every ten minutes.
Are you serious? How often do people die due to a bombing in London, sure there is news value. And do expect for that number to go up.

Physics news on Phys.org
BicycleTree said:
Wow, 2 people dead. Why is this even making the news? Do you have any idea how frequently 2 people die just of natural causes in London? Every ten minutes.

Get a grip.

2 people confirmed dead. There are still people in ambulances, casualty, operating theatres, and even stuck in tunnels. There have been four confirmed explosions, do you not see this as even a minor event?

According to BBC on TV and on their website, there were 6, not 7, explosions.

The actual number of explosions has been confused by wounded people emerging from different underground stations, where the explosions did not happen at stations themselves but in the tunnels between them.

To go up? To what? Five dead? Wow, it would shock me if five people died in London. Although it happens every twenty-five minutes. I guess I get shocked easily.

Yeah, I'm not literally surprised that this is making the news. I am asking why people think stuff like this is important. Two people dead is not even remotely statistically significant. Move on to issues like obesity--now that is significant. Terrorism has a lot less chance of hurting the Western world than big macs do.

BicycleTree said:
To go up? To what? Five dead? Wow, it would shock me if five people died in London. Although it happens every twenty-five minutes. I guess I get shocked easily.

Yeah, I'm not literally surprised that this is making the news. I am asking why people think stuff like this is important. Two people dead is not even remotely statistically significant. Move on to issues like obesity--now that is significant. Terrorism has a lot less chance of hurting the Western world than big macs do.

I don't think this is the right time to belittle the horrible events which happened this morning.

We got another a-hole in my home forum saying a few people dead is trivial... what's with people?

BicycleTree said:

I try to avoid replying to posts like this, but I'll make an exception. The news is that a terrorist attack has occurred in London, not that two people have just died. There are hundreds of people injured in hospital and many more trapped in the Underground. '2' people have been confirmed dead (actually 6 now). That does not mean only two people have died. We'll have to wait to get the final count and I HOPE it is not much more than what we've already heard but I fear otherwise. Anyway, it is a significant story to appear in the news, unless you think deliberate killing of innocent people is particularly boring. Yes, it happens - and it's usually in the news. Now, out of respect for those already bereaved, and those who may soon find out they are bereaved, will you please keep your off-hand and quite frankly appalling remarks in your head.

BicycleTree said:

You're being utterly utterly ridiculous and insensitive. If you don't think it's important then don't post about it. Not only have there been loads of casualties, it's also brought London to a complete standstill and has people all over shocked and panicking about people who might've been hurt. Bugger off out of this thread.

Even if fifty people died, it would not shock me. I would shake my head at the terrorists' stupidity and aggression. But as far as respect for the bereaved--do you have any idea how frequently fifty people die worldwide? You can calculate it out easily. Do you go around in a constant state of respect for those bereaved? Of course not--you simply go about your life.

Fifty people die worldwide in somewhat less than twenty seconds.

Well, I got a paper to write now but always keep a sense of perspective. You should be respecting the far greater number of people currently grieving those dead of obesity and related illnesses, not inciting yourself and those around you about a statistically insignificant "threat" that has virtually no chance of hurting you or those you love.

BicycleTree said:
Even if fifty people died, it would not shock me. I would shake my head at the terrorists' stupidity and aggression. But as far as respect for the bereaved--do you have any idea how frequently fifty people die worldwide? You can calculate it out easily. Do you go around in a constant state of respect for those bereaved? Of course not--you simply go about your life.
No, but nor do I go around asking those who've just spent the last hour making sure all their friends are still alive why they find this newsworthy. I'm not asking you to feel anything - just get out of people's faces with your flippant disregard for human life and people's feelings. You are disgusting all of us.

BicycleTree said:

If you really want to talk numbers and statistics you have to compare not the simple (yet horrible) fact that people died, but rather how they died. The day before this happened, did anyone die of bomb attacks - no, the following day, even if only five people, died that's 5X the number that died the previous day. That seems very significant from a numbers standpoint, but tossing around numbers and stats really belittles that fact that innocent people died and that's wrong. I can see your point BT, but it's still in poor taste given the circumstances. My heart goes out to those who have lost in this unfortunate situation.

BicycleTree said:
Well, I got a paper to write now but always keep a sense of perspective. You should be respecting the far greater number of people currently grieving those dead of obesity and related illnesses, not inciting yourself and those around you about a statistically insignificant "threat" that has virtually no chance of hurting you or those you love.
Those who die from obesity were not murdered indiscrimantely by people they have no qualm with - they die due to their own inability to look after they're own health! It is you who needs a sense of perspective.

BT, I think it would be prudent to shut up, and keep your thoughtless comments to yourselves. Yes, people die all the time, no it doesn't usually make the news, and yes it's sad.

What is your point? That a terrorist attack shouldn't make the news? That it's to be put down to part of everyday life, and shouldn't even be discussed? Please keep your thoughtless comments to yourself, at least until people know that their families and friends are safe.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Those who die from obesity were not murdered indiscrimantely by people they have no qualm with - they die due to their own inability to look after they're own health! It is you who needs a sense of perspective.

exactly! People die of cancer, people die of lung disease, people die falling on stairs, people die in car accidents. Accidents happen. But this was no accident. Its not the same as getting blown up from a bomb on your bus on your way to work.

As brewnog just said, this still must be talked about. Are you saying that everytime a bus blows up or maybe an airplane runs into a building, that no one should care and it shoudlnt be reported because "people die everyday".

Latest news: # of explosions only 4... not sure if that's four in the underground alone or three on the underground and one on the bus, but it affected 7 stations.

Theres 2 numbers being given out, 7 and 4. 4 probably is wrong because they both agree 3 bombs went off in the subway but I've seen at least 2 buses with bad damage.

Pengwuino said:
Theres 2 numbers being given out, 7 and 4. 4 probably is wrong because they both agree 3 bombs went off in the subway but I've seen at least 2 buses with bad damage.

It seems there were three underground explosions but people emerged from several different stations, where the ambulances picked them up. The figure of 7 was stated by the emergency services, presumably they counted each cluster of victims as an individual incident.

I've seen two separate pictures (taken from different angles) of the same bus, on which the fourth explosion occured. I'm not aware of a second bus.

In any case, irrespective of the number or severity of incidents, it's truly horrible, and only time will reveal how many peoples' lives have been ruined as a result of this mornings' events.

Last edited:
BicycleTree said:

This is the biggest stupidity I have ever heard in this forum. I have been surprised of your lack of heart. I have been surprised how the hell there are prehistoric people like you on the Earth's ground.

The main difference between such ridiculous illness you have been come across and a terrorist bombing is that in the second case there are criminal people who takes away your innocent life because of unknown or political issues which are scarcely concerned to population. The death people in London were not politicians nor soldiers and have never used a weapon against Iraq. Also they don't manage the economic politics of G8. They were workers. And they have been indiscriminately assasined. That's the most terrible thing it can happen to a country.

brewnog said:
It seems there were three underground explosions but people emerged from several different stations, where the ambulances picked them up. The figure of 7 was stated by the emergency services, presumably they counted each cluster of victims as an individual incident.

I've seen two separate pictures (taken from different angles) of the same bus, on which the fourth explosion occured. I'm not aware of a second bus.

I read that first part right as someone on TV was sayen the exact same thing.

I saw 2 buses though i swear. I saw one bus with the top part blown off but it was verticle. I also remember way early that skynews was circling a bus that was on its side and the front half was blown off.

Yeah, I think the 7 came from explosions affected 7 stations. Some of those stations were close together though, and it is a tunnel after all. One bus as far as the news is saying.

Well AP is saying 40 are dead now. Thankfully nothing more has happened. Everyone kept saying this was probably only the beginning.

My heart goes out to everyone in London. Hope everybody's friends and families are safe. When will these terrorist attacks ever stop? It seems like every time the world recovers from one, there is another attack.
Sunayana.

Nope, both Pengwuino and I were right. 7 bombs: three on the tube, four on a single bus... four explosions as a result.

Statement

Statement from the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organisation in Europe

In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

4 bombs on a single bus? Why?

Statement from the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organisation in Europe

In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

We should probably note that we don't know whether or not this is genuine, although it has definitely been labelled as being fairly credible.

But did they every actually "promise" anything before?

Hopefully this will shut up the idiots who think the US is bad for calling Al Qaeda the bad guys. I think its rather obvious who the bad guys are after this...

Is this for real? Where did you get this from?
Sunayana.

From Sky News

ATTACKS KILL 45, REPORTS

At least 45 people are reported to have been killed and 1,000 injured in a series of co-ordinated terror attacks on London.

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said the figures, which could rise, were from a reliable, but unofficial source.

He also reported that it is understood that seven were killed in the bus blast in Tavistock Square.

A previously unknown group calling itself "Secret Organisation al Qaeda in Europe" said it carried out the attacks as revenge for British "military massacres" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

London hospitals have reported a total of 300 wounded after a series of blasts hit locations across the city on buses and Tube stations.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there was evidence of explosives at least two sites.

Scotland Yard has denied reports they were warned of an attack by Israel minutes before the blasts.

I wish all of them had a place specially booked in the Hell when they dead. I wish the Hell flames will burn them till the most intense of all pains. And then they will realize how wrong they were. The proper nature would have to eliminate them, they don't worth living between us. :devil:

DocToxyn said:
If you really want to talk numbers and statistics you have to compare not the simple (yet horrible) fact that people died, but rather how they died. The day before this happened, did anyone die of bomb attacks - no, the following day, even if only five people, died that's 5X the number that died the previous day. That seems very significant from a numbers standpoint, but tossing around numbers and stats really belittles that fact that innocent people died and that's wrong. I can see your point BT, but it's still in poor taste given the circumstances. My heart goes out to those who have lost in this unfortunate situation.
Would you rather be fat and unhealthy all your life and die of a heart attack at 50, or would you rather be healthy and die of a terrorist attack at 50? Death by obesity is worse than death by terrorism because it is not a quick death, but is drawn out for decades.

And vastly more people die of obesity-related illness than they do of terrorism.

BicycleTree said:
Would you rather be fat and unhealthy all your life and die of a heart attack at 50, or would you rather be healthy and die of a terrorist attack at 50? Death by obesity is worse than death by terrorism because it is not a quick death, but is drawn out for decades.

What kind of disgusting comparison is this. ITS YOUR CHOICE TO EAT UNHEALTHY FOOD AND NOT WORK OUT. Its NOT your choice to have a bomb blow up on your way to work. And very few people die instantly. Theres going to be probably hundreds more that will die later and after time.