The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
The deepest research borehole ever drilled was in Russia, on the Kola peninsula. Over a period of more than a decade a huge purpose-built rig drilled to over 12 kilometers to investigate the structure of the Continental Crust. Its about 12,226 meters deep.

Physics news on Phys.org
*doubletakes* America? Is my world's deepest hole going the right direction?

You're on the right track. This was undertaken by The American Miscellaneous Society (AMSOC), and wasn't in Russia.

Oh, well now you told us the answer.

What do the rules say now?

How about just Zygotic Embryo posts a question.

I didn't tell you the answer. I'm looking for a name here.

The centre of the Earth prooved too far, despite their very expensive efforts.
American Miscellaneous Society AMSOC was a loose collection of scientists that was formed mainly to progress research projects that didn't fit into any category, such as the unsuccessful project to drill into the Earth's mantle, Project Mohole?

yup, it was project mohole.

It has the name of a bird, yet the metaphor of death. It was created by a very famous person with the last name that is another word for ghost

Way too easy, Raven.

Correct, good job.

I share the same name as Holmes's friend and assistant. I co-discovered the most famous blueprint of all time. What is the full name of my partner?

Last edited:
james watson

Incorrect, but close. You're halfway there.

Francis Harry Compton Crick. Erm, did I steal it?

Francis Crick

Yes. Stolen.

honestrosewater gives the question.

Danget, he got it first.

Good job horse

Last edited:
Hm, my first question.

You may think a Harvard logician's high blood pressure caused me (but you'd be wrong).

I'm lost on this one, leads end up in dead ends. I think someone would have to know this one.

Ah, I have a potential lead! Though I have no knowlage whatsoever on medical stuff.

What, I'm supposed to feed you the answer? High blood pressure is a major risk factor for what?
Edit: You might try to shave off a couple... What do swimming and petting have in common? Today I speak; Yesterday I [...] :-p

Last edited:
Henry Sheffer!

Oh, wrong answer, its just a stroke

Stroke..somthing.. hmm

brb

Did I steal it?

Jesus christ

again..

stolen?

Meh, whose stroke?
Hint: No, it's not Jesus Christ's

LOL that wasn't my awnser.

Stroke was a clue. I guess i was going the wrong direction with it.

Sheffer's stroke.

I am the bass guitarist for a band that formed in Boston, and we haven't played with toys since 1975. I share my last name with a very famous physicist, what year was he born?

Last edited:
Dr. Robert Preston Hamilton,

No. Think 175 years back.

Wr Hamilton 1805

From house to house he goes,
A messenger small and slight.
And whether it rains or snows,
He sleeps outside at night.
What am I?