The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
first model car

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Nope, but you're warm.
Not the "easy bake" oven is it?

Evo said:
Gokul is against googling, I allow some googling. Gokul's right, if googling the answer is ok, it's just a "first here wins" and there's no intellectual contest. :mad: What's the point?
I hadn't been following this whole thread, but I just went back to the first page, and there were no anti-google rules. I think more of the challenge is in writing a good google-proof clue. :approve:

zoobyshoe said:
Not the "easy bake" oven is it?
Yes, it is! :biggrin: You're up.

Edit: Here's an NPR site with two of those Easy-Bake "gourmet" recipes.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1534572

Art Smith's Pecan Ice Box Cookies

Makes 2 dozen cookies, baked two at a time

Considering you have to bake the cookies 20 min, that's sure a devious way to keep the kids busy on a rainy weekend! :smile:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Yes, it is! :biggrin: You're up.
Boy, they were expensive. And Turquoise?

OK: 1920, invented because his wife was prone to minor accidents while cooking.

zoobyshoe said:
Boy, they were expensive. And Turquoise?
The first one came out in 1963 (that explains turquoise). Yep, sounds expensive to me, even by modern standards, but they sold over 500,000 of them in the first year!

OK: 1920, invented because his wife was prone to minor accidents while cooking.
Wild guess: oven mitts?

earle dickenson, band-aid

Moonbear said:
I hadn't been following this whole thread, but I just went back to the first page, and there were no anti-google rules. I think more of the challenge is in writing a good google-proof clue. :approve:
The anti-google rules were discussed in another thread.

If my vast worthless wealth of knowledge means nothing, I'm not playing. :cry: It's all I have, I don't have the formal education Moonbear has. I don't know all the cool stuff she knows, but I have a ton of trivial cr@p memorized. :frown: Then someone with NO KNOWLEDGE can just type the clues into google and win without knowing anything? A POX UPON THEM! :mad:

yomamma said:
earle dickenson, band-aid
Dickson, not dickenson. Yes.

Evo said:
Then someone with NO KNOWLEDGE can just type the clues into google and win without knowing anything? A POX UPON THEM! :mad:
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

anyway,

Invented in 1927 to help kill mosquitoes carrying malaria during WWII.

yomamma said:
anyway,

I actually might know this without any google aids. DEET.
Nevermind: DEET wasn't invented until the 1950s according to the site I just looked it up on. :frown:

Last edited:
Aaaagghh. At least try to pretend you know the answer. I can't take it. Gokul, I understand why you left. (hangs head in sorrow)

yomamma said:
anyway,

smudge pots?

no, no NO ,NO! GOOGLE

Moonbear said:
I actually might know this without any google aids. DEET.
Actually, MB, I think you've discussed DEET before.

SEE. Moonbear actually KNOWS an answer!

Feels good, doesn't it??

(hopefully people will feel guilty now and poor Evo can sneek an answer in) :devil:

WTF is DEET?

Evo said:
Aaaagghh. At least try to pretend you know the answer. I can't take it. Gokul, I understand why you left. (hangs head in sorrow)
If you already know the answer you can type it in faster than anyone can google it. If you don't know, you're still at no more of a disadvantage than anyone else who'se googling.

The real trick is to phrase your questions so that people have to do some indirect googling.

Evo said:
Actually, MB, I think you've discussed DEET before.

SEE. Moonbear actually KNOWS an answer!

Feels good, doesn't it??

(hopefully people will feel guilty now and poor Evo can sneek an answer in) :devil:
But, alas, it seems to be wrong upon attempted google confirmation. :cry:

OKAY, COPY and PASTE my question into google, you'll find it

yomamma said:
WTF is DEET?
Oh! Oh! I know! It's a popular mosquito repellent! My turn!

no, it HELPED the mosquito reppelants. It also helps your house smell good

yomamma said:
WTF is DEET?
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm
1. What is DEET?

DEET (chemical name, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the active ingredient in many insect repellent products. It is used to repel biting pests such as mosquitoes and ticks, including ticks that may carry Lyme disease. Every year, approximately one-third of the U.S. population is expected to use DEET. Products containing DEET currently are available to the public in a variety of liquids, lotions, sprays, and impregnated materials (e.g., wrist bands). Formulations registered for direct application to human skin contain from 4 to 100% DEET. Except for a few veterinary uses, DEET is registered for use by consumers, and it is not used on food.

DEET is designed for direct application to human skin to repel insects, rather than kill them. After it was developed by the U.S. Army in 1946, DEET was registered for use by the general public in 1957. Approximately 230 products containing DEET are currently registered with EPA by about 70 different companies.

yomamma said:
OKAY, COPY and PASTE my question into google, you'll find it
But what's the fun in that?

(I know, I'm one of those freaks that like tests) :blushing:

Even a good guess that's wrong is better than no guess.

:rolleyes: OMFG

Ddt?...

Maybe we should have a "google this" thread?

you CAN do it :rolleyes:

Even danger has shunned this thread since he realized it was a googling contest.

This thread is BELOW DANGER's STANDARDS!

You're a good person danger. :approve:

Evo said:
Maybe we should have a "google this" thread?
Go back and look at the very first thing Wolram posted. Even with google, I couldn't figure out what it was.

Can Can Can Can Can Can

yomamma said:
Can Can Can Can Can Can
So, you're saying it's not DDT?

I have no idea what DDT is, but it's probably not. aero

zoobyshoe said:
Go back and look at the very first thing Wolram posted. Even with google, I couldn't figure out what it was.
That's because certain people are way above us zoobie. We will never be on their level, and we are all right with that. :smile:

I figure if I have a vague memory of the subject and need to google to confirm it, it's ok. But, I won't answer if I really have no clue.

Evo said:
Even danger the bottom feeder has shunned this thread since he realized it was a googling contest.

This thread is BELOW DANGER's THE BOTTOM FEEDER'S STANDARDS!

You're a good person bottom feeder danger. :approve:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx