Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,636
PeterDonis said:
I thought brownies were the usual food of choice for that...
I had a friend who used it in spaghetti sauce. Marhinara.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,637
Ibix said:
Whatever AI you consulted has apparently slipped some pot into its cookies

Google apparently has its own AI now.

Google Generative AI.2023-11-25 at 15.31.15.png

• Haha
Likes Ibix, Borg and berkeman
  • #5,638
maybe It learned that by reading PF?

• #5,639
ChatGPT suggested 0.5 mm grain size and the result was 14.36 km.

• #5,641
TIL that the Ket people of Siberia use panes of sheet ice in the windows of their traditional winter tents.

Likes DaveE
  • #5,644
Mayhem said:
I wonder how the fuel for fusion will be generated long-term. Can it be generated by feeding back some of the net-energy?
Deuterium can be mined from seawater; long term I would expect fusion to use D-D instead of D-T.

Less long term if tritium is needed for D-T fusion, it can be obtained by putting a lithium blanket around the reactor. (Lithium Deuteride can also be used as fuel.)

• #5,645
T.I.L.
Two articles this week on ancient human made structures.

https://phys.org/news/2023-12-closer-menga-dolmen-greatest-feats.html

https://phys.org/news/2023-12-oldest-fortresses-world.html (today)

From above fortress article “This discovery challenges the traditional view that permanent settlements, accompanied by defensive structures, only emerged with farming societies, thus disproving the notion that agriculture and animal husbandry were prerequisites for societal complexity.”

Gobekli Tepe is mentioned in the fortress article.

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology...-no-more/00000181-3ded-d207-a795-7ded6a9c0000

Likes collinsmark
  • #5,646
TIL these bamboo water fountains are called "Deer scares".

1702442422178.png
And they serve a purpose. To scare deer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishi-odoshi

(This is significant to me because there was one of these set up in an indoor garden in my local mall when I was growing up and I was fascinated by it.)

• Informative
Likes jack action, Rive, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #5,647
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 8.42.12 AM.png

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,648
I have been playing with the online Software Defined Radios (SDRs) called KiwiSDR.

But today I learned that you can demodulate weather FAX stations within the same web page using the "extensions" button in the receiver controls.

The following link will open up a KiwiSDR receiver in Germany and also set it up to receive weather faxes from the German Weather Service on 13880 KHz.

http://s4wmv4hovyls5ebz.myfritz.net:8075/?f=13880.54&z=10&ext=fax,align:1,auto:1,stop:1

Frequencies and schedules of Wx FAX stations worldwide:
https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdfAnother receiver in the USA, tuned for FAXes from Point Reyes Station, CA.
198.40.45.23:8073/?f=12784.1/1100,2550usb&z=10&ext=fax,align:1,auto:1,stop:1

Sample FAX image from the German service :
1702541104036.png

Point Reyes Stn, CA :

1702541456636.png
And a greyscale cloud image (these need some adjustment of the receiver frequency for optimum brightness):

1702692725828.png

Attachments

• 1702692642556.png
    1702692642556.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #5,649
New lego stuff (biological version).

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 8.06.47 PM.png

Where's the black hole lego kit?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Ibix and collinsmark
  • #5,650
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 8.10.09 AM.png

• Haha
Likes Ibix, OmCheeto, Swamp Thing and 1 other person
  • #5,651
BillTre said:

".... .... .... ...."

"Live in the moment? Right, gotcha.... ....... OK, one moment lived in. Anything else?"

Last edited:
  • #5,652
"I gotta make lifestyle changes, eh doc? No problem. For how long?"

• Haha
Likes Ibix and pinball1970
  • #5,654
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/one-in-three-gen-zers-has-stolen-from-self-checkout-poll-shows/
https://apnews.com/article/selfcheckout-theft-labor-walmart-target-1a8a6da0291651815557316964d7f8f9
Nearly 1/3 of Gen-Zers have stolen using self-checkout kiosks.

Self-checkout lanes are getting trimmed due to increased theft, but cannot be entirely done away with, due to their popularity and shortage of labor.

I'm better understanding why my self-checkout lanes are sooooooo long lately (while cashier lanes are shorter and constantly inviting people over) and why security/staff hawk the self-checkout lanes.

Likes Ibix
  • #5,655
kyphysics said:
Ah, that explains this news story from yesterday:

One Third of Gen-Zers Received Coal This Christmas

• Haha
Likes Borg, DaveC426913 and BillTre
  • #5,656
kyphysics said:
that's the Employee Discount

• #5,657
Swamp Thing said:
TIL that the Ket people of Siberia use panes of sheet ice in the windows of their traditional winter tents.

But what did the Ket use for bras?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Swamp Thing and gmax137
  • #5,658
Hornbein said:
But what did the Ket use for bras?

Did you know that Schroedinger came up with his own version of the ket, but it never caught on. He expected it to become famous as Schroedinger's ket, and he never got over the disappointment over its non-adoption.

Likes dextercioby, Ibix and Hornbein
  • #5,659
berkeman said:
Ah, that explains this news story from yesterday:

One Third of Gen-Zers Received Coal This Christmas

arson.png

(Source: https://explosm.net/comics/arson#comic )

[Oops. 'Thought this was the jokes thread when posting. I may have misposted.]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes gmax137, berkeman, jack action and 1 other person
  • #5,660
collinsmark said:
[Oops. 'Thought this was the jokes when posting. I may have misposted.]
SURE you did! :wink:

• #5,662
T.I.L., or it was really about three days ago;
How to use a image viewer to resize or crop an image. The trouble is I will probably forget how and later will need to relearn this all over again.

• #5,663
symbolipoint said:
T.I.L., or it was really about three days ago;
How to use a image viewer to resize or crop an image. The trouble is I will probably forget how and later will need to relearn this all over again.
You can always screenshot, paste in word then, select, format, crop.

• #5,664
@pinball1970, about response post #5663 --
I was practicing video editing, ????????? making the goals a little different from what your posted video shows. Yet, the posted video is interesting and could be helpful in the future, OR to other readers now.

(excuse the wildcards)

• #5,665
symbolipoint said:
I was practicing video editing, ????????? making the goals a little different from what your posted video shows. Yet, the posted video is interesting and could be helpful in the future, OR to other readers now.

(excuse the wildcards)
Apologies! Video is a whole different ball game!

• #5,666
pinball1970 said:
Apologies! Video is a whole different ball game!
Not a problem. No Apology Needed!

• #5,667
symbolipoint said:

(excuse the wildcards)
In my defense you said image not video sir.

• #5,668
pinball1970 said:
In my defense you said image not video sir.
Okay still not a problem. We can put still-images into videos. Two-or-three days ago I Learned to ...., and it was something upon manipulating something about an still-image; which I soon included into a video edit. Video editors allow (or at least the ones I am aware of) to put both still-images and video recordings into the video project being built.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,669
TIL that field pansies in France are evolving to more frequently self-fertilize rather than relying on bees to be pollinated by non-self plants.
NY Times story
Research story
This gets them pollinated in a world with fewer pollinating bees, but will result in a loss of genetic diversity.
Their flowers are getting smaller and they are making less nectar (both bee attractants).
Losing genetic diversity can make them more likely to go extinct.

Morning glories seem to be responding in a different way. They are making larger more ostentatious flowers to better attract the bees the are still around, but in smaller numbers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, pinball1970 and symbolipoint
  • #5,670
symbolipoint said:
use a image viewer to resize or crop an image.

symbolipoint said:
I was practicing video editing, ?
If I'm being honest, I didn't know you were even talking about digital images...

1704525306568.png

o0)

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
Back