Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,601
I used to drive to Reston area every week for LSAT prep classes (never went to law school, but at one point was interested). It's very nice. If I could afford to live there, I would.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,602
I didn't realize that I had so many neighbors on PF. :oldwink:

• #5,603
Borg said:
I didn't realize that I had so many neighbors on PF. :oldwink:
Well, we have been known to organize regional reunions. Just sayin'. :wink:

Likes Borg and BillTre
  • #5,604
I grew up in Bethesda.
The property trends and weather seem to be pretty similar there also.
There were big changes in a lot of things in Bethesda when the subway was finished.
So say my parents. I had moved away by then.

• #5,605
BillTre said:
I grew up in Bethesda.
The property trends and weather seem to be pretty similar there also.
There were big changes in a lot of things in Bethesda when the subway was finished.
So say my parents. I had moved away by then.
Good gracious. Are we ALL mid-Atlantic residents here? lol

I think the job market overall is better in NOVA vs. Maryland, but housing may be more affordable.

• #5,606
kyphysics said:
Good gracious. Are we ALL mid-Atlantic residents here? lol
Not anymore. I left around 1980. Currently in northern Nevada.

• #5,607
Well, your roots are still here. :smile:

I think of all the places I've lived, mid-Atlantic has felt the best mix (weather, population size, economy, local attractions, quality of life, etc.). I feel like having LOTS of government jobs and agencies gives a kind of permanent stability to this region.

Government isn't going anywhere. Military isn't going anywhere. It's not a narrowly focused private sector economy region like Detroit's automobile industry was. There's just a different pace and culture to life here. Stability is the word I'd use more than anything.

• #5,608
kyphysics said:
Are we ALL mid-Atlantic residents here?
I was, but am not now. I now live in Florida. (But not in an area that has alligators coming into backyards...)

• #5,610
There is only one video of John von Neumann, a teen Q&A show on NBC in the mid 50s

Likes DaveE, mfb, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #5,611
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 9.20.14 AM.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, Hornbein, Tom.G and 2 others
  • #5,612
Some veteran Costco cashiers make mid-$60K's. . .not bad.

• #5,614
Swamp Thing said:
Why is the top-hatted head smiling?
Because its a happy emotion?

• #5,615
A case of body dysphoria?

Likes Swamp Thing
  • #5,616
Today I learned that Hamlet wasn't a specific real person. I thought he was like Julius Caesar, where Shakespeare changed some things, but was ultimately a true story.

• #5,617
TIL that I'm a mutant, in more ways than one. I have blue eyes, which is due to a mutation which prevents melanin from being produced in the iris. ( it is actually Rayleigh scattering that produces the blue. )
I am also missing a muscle in my forearm. ( To test for this, touch your thumb to your little finger. If a line like a tendon showing appears, you have this muscle, if not, you don't.)
This muscle was useful back when our ancestors were swinging from branch to branch, but it is extraneous now, so it wasn't a big deal when a mutation appeared without it. About 15% of people have this mutation.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, OmCheeto and BillTre
  • #5,619
Janus said:
TIL that I'm a mutant, in more ways than one. I have blue eyes, which is due to a mutation which prevents melanin from being produced in the iris. ( it is actually Rayleigh scattering that produces the blue. )
Is it possible to not be a mutant? I thought all DNA structure was from mutation.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, BillTre and OmCheeto
  • #5,620
TIL "The Muon g-2 Collaboration recently reported a new measurement of the so-called positive muon magnetic anomaly, based on the data collected at Fermilab between 2019 and 2020. This measurement is consistent with their previous measurements, while reducing error by over a factor of 2 due to improved experimental conditions."https://phys.org/news/2023-11-muon-g-positive-anomalous-magnetic.html

• #5,621
Algr said:
Is it possible to not be a mutant? I thought all DNA structure was from mutation.
Yes, but I suppose we are talking "modern" Homo sapiens.

Lactose intolerance for example was what was the "wild type" and the mutation gave us the ability to metabolise it about 10,000 years ago.

Asthma is another weird one, the over reaction of the immune system was to cope with the amount of parasites we had to deal with (i will have to add detail on that) EDIT: https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/28/6/1258

My mother lacks or has defective tyrosinase so I will have one of those recessive genes, the mutation.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
  • #5,622
pinball1970 said:
Lactose intolerance for example was what was the "wild type" and the mutation gave us the ability to metabolise it about 10,000 years ago.

Asthma is another weird one, the over reaction of the immune system was to cope with the amount of parasites we had to deal with

• Informative
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #5,623
Swamp Thing said:

Digging up remains infected with Yersinia pestis?
What could possibly go wrong!
A quick google, they do not produce spores but still….

1699451167486.png

Likes Swamp Thing
  • #5,624
Well, I found something really useful yesterday, so I thought I'd share...

Probably like most of you, I am really annoyed with my Win10 PC/laptops when I have a Word (or Excel) file open and miniized down on the Taskbar, and as I open another document, the first one pops back up into the active window. Arrgg! So I've done Google searches several times in the past to try to figure out how to disable this "feature", but never found anything useful until yesterday.

After reading yet another article about how to edit your Registry to disable it (and replies in that discussion saying that it did not work), I found a suggestion to use the middle (scroll wheel) button on your mouse to open the new file instead. So if you have a Word file open and minimized on the Taskbar, middle/wheel click that icon and you will be given a new pop-up small icon that you can click to get into the File, Open Word window. Then just browse to the file you want to open, double click it, and boom! Like magic, the file opens and the previously minimized one stays where it belongs! :smile:

• Informative
Likes Rive, Tom.G, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #5,625
TIL that you can forget how to ride a bike.

1699725039275.jpeg

Bought it yesterday. Oiled it, put a new seat on, spent an hour dressing warmly for a 500 yard milk run to the gas station to fill the tires.

Never even made it out of the driveway.

Went ass over tea kettle in the first ten feet. (In truth, the kickstand is on the wrong side. When I mounted the bike from the right, the kickstand caught on the left. I had no way to counter balance, so I went across the bar and onto the pavement pretty much head first.

Damn lucky the first thing I bought along with the new seat was a helmet. If I hadn;t been wearing it, I'd be typing this from a hospital guerney.

:sorry:

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes pinball1970, Janus, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #5,627
The British Limpet Mine Mk-I used a dissolving candy ball* as a delayed (~35 min.) firing device.

* It was aniseed flavored, BTW.

Likes Hornbein
  • #5,628
Top pest control workers can make equal to or more than average college grads in the same career phase. I've been chatting with a few termite/crawl space guys from different companies and they let me in on their income.

A tech makes ~$60,000/year w/ zero college experience and a 3-week course for certification. An inspector at a different company brings in between ~$100K to $120K a year (depending on sales/commission that year). I actually tried to tip him $20 for something and he declined, saying he is paid very well. Dumb dumb me LOL.

Both are honest good men. I've met those on the opposite end, who are shady and get paid only $15/hour. . .they are unreliable, unprofessional, and not very skilled. But, good pest control guys do make a good living for having no degree.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and symbolipoint
  • #5,630
TIL (from CNN) we might be getting less snow in the future:

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 8.44.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 8.44.40 AM.png

• #5,631
TIL how big grains of sand are:

"If the Sun were the size of a grain of sand, the distance to Proxima Centauri would be about 200,000 miles. This is because the width of a grain of sand is about 2,000 miles."

This was the 'AI' response to me googling; "if the sun was the size of a grain of sand how far away would proxima centuri be?"

My question was inspired by Neil deGrasse Tyson's assertion that if the the sun were shrunk to the size of a period at the end of a sentence, the nearest star would be 4 miles away. I did the math and came up with 20 miles. Hence, my query.

o0)

• Wow
Likes mfb and Ibix
  • #5,632
I make four light years to be about 27 million solar diameters. One 27 millionth of 20 miles is about 1mm, which sounds reasonable for the size of a full stop written with a pen. 0.2mm, which is what NdGT has presumably used, sounds a bit small to me, so I agree with you.

Whatever AI you consulted has apparently slipped some pot into its cookies

• #5,633
Ibix said:
Whatever AI you consulted has apparently slipped some pot into its cookies
I thought brownies were the usual food of choice for that...

Likes Borg
  • #5,634
Ibix said:
1mm, which sounds reasonable for the size of a full stop written with a pen
It seems large to me. On a ruler with 1 mm lines, the width of a period written with a pen seems more like the width of a line, which is only a fraction of the width of the space between the lines. 0.2mm sounds a bit small, but 0.33 to 0.5mm seems about right.

• #5,635
PeterDonis said:
I thought brownies were the usual food of choice for that...
Maybe so, but programs have cookies, not brownies.
PeterDonis said:
It seems large to me.
Depends on your pen and penmanship, I guess.

A colleague's son had a homework question to calculate how far away Proxima was if one AU was scaled to 1mm (4ly is about 260m, if you were wondering), which is a better question because the scale is properly defined.

Back